mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Best Spring 2019 Race Events

Looking for advice on the best mtb race events this spring in/around NorCal. I live in Redding, so preferably north.

Not afraid of pedaling or technical tracks, but #1 priority is FUN.

The races I'm considering are:
    Lemurian (if they do it this year)
    Sea Otter
    Humbug Hurry-Up
    Lagrange
    Susanville (Dirt Series #4)
    SoNoMas
    Ashland Spring Thaw
    Carson City Off-Road

Can anyone provide feedback on any of those? Or tell me any I missed that are worthwhile?

Thanks!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Big Sandy! ENE of FresYES

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Come out to Auburn/Cool for one of the longest running races in the region!

Bonus: Proceeds go towards building the Auburn Bike Park

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2019-co...e8-fhUyUzDqQbA
    FATRAC.ORG

mtbr member
    I love Lemurian and SoNoMas. I'll def be at SoNoMas and maybe Lemurian if it happens and I can swing it.

I would add the Grasshopper Lake Sonoma event. Shorter than SoNoMas but still very hard and really fast crew. It's a bit more fun and less grindy than SoNoMas being over an hour shorter.

Wente is open right now through BikeMonkey but will likely fill up fast.

Old Cabin in Santa Cruz and the king of them all, Downieville but that's not till summer.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindelatron View Post
    Big Sandy! ENE of FresYES

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    This!
    My Favorite Peeps:

tjp
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All those sound so good. Might have to return to racing this year!

If you have not done Lagrange, do it. Super fun, and you can ride in Humboldt or Redding on the way up/back, depending on your route. Or do both and make it a loop...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    All those sound so good. Might have to return to racing this year!

If you have not done Lagrange, do it. Super fun, and you can ride in Humboldt or Redding on the way up/back, depending on your route. Or do both and make it a loop...
    I live in Weaverville and volunteer with the race. This suggestion has my full agreement.

https://www.trinitytrailalliance.com...e-classic.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for all the input!

I've heard good things about Big Sandy, but Fresno is a little farther than I want to drive (I live in Redding, so about 5.5 hours). Old Cabin is a bit far too, but I definitely want to race that one eventually.

I think I will plan on doing LaGrange for sure, since it's less than an hour away from me. My buddy has done it a few years and he loves it, although he said they changed the course last year and it was way tougher.

Grasshopper Lake Sonoma looks like a definite contender, so thanks for that! SoNoMas sounds super tough. How would you compare it to Lemurian?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have signed up for SoNoMas as my first ever bike race and I just signed up for Wente.

NedwannaB
    You mentioned Susanville not sure if #4 is "Riding High at the Ranch towards the end of May. I have a friend up there and may hit that again this year. Chill event and local peeps.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yes, I think it is Ridin' High. I can't find any info for the 2019 race, though, so not sure it's been scheduled yet or if they're even doing it this year.

mtbr member
    SoNoMas is a full hour longer than Lemurian and tougher for me cause its much punchier. The climbs all come 50 to 500 feet at a time on skinny and steep trails. Its very hard for me to find a rhythm but it's super beautiful trail.

Lemurian has two huge climbs that make up most of the footies. That long grindy climb is much better for me personally, but they are both really fun events on good trails. They are also both full on hard man races.

I'd highly recommend them both although my guess is Lemurian will be very different after the fires.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Got it. Yea, I have never actually done the Lemurian race (for a different reason every year haha), but I live 15 minutes from those trails so I know them well and have ridden every section of the course at some point.

They've opened a few of the trails in Whiskeytown just recently (Buckhollow/Whiskeytown Classic Loop) and it definitely looks a lot different, but the trails themselves pretty much ride the same. I'd say that goes for all the local trails affected by the fires. The bigger concern is how they're going to hold up through this rainy season with no ground cover, so we'll see.

I can't say I have any inside intel, but personally I'm not super optimistic Lemurian will happen this year. I'd say it depends on how bad the rains are and how long this government shutdown lasts, but I'm not counting on it for this year...unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    WENTE! I just signed up for the 3rd year in a row because of the fun factor. Great trails, best bike race campgrounds (location, weather, swimming in lake, bathrooms) that Ive attended and great people.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by mpcremata View Post
    Yes, I think it is Ridin' High. I can't find any info for the 2019 race, though, so not sure it's been scheduled yet or if they're even doing it this year.
    Appears to be on! Yes! Wait..yay? I don't think it was such a yay after crossing the line doing the long course. Ugh...About the same after finishing the Lemurian. Oh how quickly we forget.

https://www.trailforks.com/event/3240/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Also, Although its not in the Spring and it isn't really a race, TAMBAs' Rose To Toads is not to be missed. If I had to choose just one event, it would be this one. It is, dare I say, EPIC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    62 miles??? I'm not afraid of pedaling but that is a liiiitle bit outside of my capabilities haha. Definitely would qualify as EPIC, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    62 miles??? I'm not afraid of pedaling but that is a liiiitle bit outside of my capabilities haha. Definitely would qualify as EPIC, though.
    9 months to get it into your capabilities though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yea...and I just got a Peloton so I definitely can do the training but...I've never ridden more than 30 miles before (on dirt). I wouldn't even know HOW to train for something like that. Would be pretty awesome though.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    SoNoMas is the hardest race Iíve ever done, for the reasons stated above (endless series of punchy steep climbs followed immediately by descents with limited recovery spots, which to me is much more demanding than a course with big climbs) and it is much more difficult if the weather is hot. Itís a great event, well managed and supported, with beautiful scenery and remote trails that hardly anyone rides ó Iím planning to do it again this year.

I have heard the races around Nevada City put on by YBONC are good but no personal experience.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Yea...and I just got a Peloton so I definitely can do the training but...I've never ridden more than 30 miles before (on dirt). I wouldn't even know HOW to train for something like that. Would be pretty awesome though.
    I had never ridden more than 40 miles on dirt until last year when I raced the 54-mile Carson City Off-Road (which was great fun and surprisingly to me not as hard as it sounded). You can do it if you train. Long road rides are terrific for building endurance with less hammering on the bones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NedwannaB
    You may have thought differently if you had done it the year previous under different conditions. :0

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Doesnít somebody put together a google doc of all the NorCal MTB races? That would be really helpful. Most of these are not on the NCNCA calendar, so itís hard to figure out all the dates.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I haven't been able to find anything like that for 2019, but here is one I've put together FWIW.

It currently only goes through Spring and only includes races within ~4-hour drive from Redding, but better than nothing I guess. (You can ignore the colors; I just marked red the ones that don't work for my schedule.)

Let me know if you have others and I'll add them.

I like mtn biking, too
    Looking for advice on the best mtb race events this spring in/around NorCal. I live in Redding, so preferably north.

Not afraid of pedaling or technical tracks, but #1 priority is FUN.

The races I'm considering are:
    Lemurian (if they do it this year)
    Sea Otter
    Humbug Hurry-Up
    Lagrange
    Susanville (Dirt Series #4)
    SoNoMas
    Ashland Spring Thaw
    Carson City Off-Road

Can anyone provide feedback on any of those? Or tell me any I missed that are worthwhile?

Thanks!
    Mike
    If fun is your #1, I'd cross off Sea Otter If you're into the event around SOC, it can be fun, but the trails used for the race aren't the fun ones.

SoNoMas - I love this race. The trails have ridiculous short steep climbs, but it's beautiful and there's good food, coffee & beer. Bikemonkey puts on the best events.

I have heard wonderful things about Lemurian and Carson City. Don't know much about the rest.

For fun, I would agree with folks saying Wente 8-hour. It's a lap format, and there's a swimming like right at the start/finish. So grab your friends and tag team it, or just do half of it and drink beer the rest of the time (I think half the field does that anyway...). Reg is open now, so you'd have to sign up quick.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. Weíre just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian