best spot for jumps and features?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

best spot for jumps and features?

I rode some fun stuff in Santa Cruz off of Empire Grade...but I know there are many other places. Any tips would me much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Very few legal or good jump trails in the Bay Area, or even Ca for that matter.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    ^^^ RBoardman is correct. Only good ones are the grey area / illegal ones. Periodically locals build them in their communities, but the man comes along and stomps them down.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Pacifica is pretty solid. Same with Carlmont

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    They're out there! You just have to sniff around and get connected.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong." ~ Donnie Bonespurs

mtbr member
    ...I'm tryin'

mtbr member
    Stafford Lake Bike Park

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ___Nicholas View Post
    Stafford Lake Bike Park
    Novato is a bit of a drive for me, but the Google Maps satellite view looks pretty promising.

member you member
    The stigma from years ago of CA not having bike parks with jumps and berms is dying at a rapid pace. First place that comes to mind supporting this is Paradise Royale. That place can keep you busy for a month worth of Sunday's. Juat don't get hurt or it'll be a long ride to the hospital.. Looking beyond that I found Woodward in Fresno (some call it Fres-yes) is fun. There is even a Woodward west in Tehachapi, CA. I had NO CLUE Tehachapi had such a robust little bike community. Obviously Mammoth, Norfstar, Snow Summit, Sky Park are holding. Truckee, Tahoe all have jumps and berms. Ashland, even though it's in Oregon, is holding. Redding has some sh*t, too. My favorite of all time, even though it's long since closed was always Anderson Truck Trail down in Alpine, CA east of SD. Now that place freaking rips.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Lake Cunningham Park in San Jose

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Probably make your way to someplace like stafford and then meet some people and ask them about this same thing, just not on a public internet forum..... i suspect you will get a lot further.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by crallen68 View Post
    Lake Cunningham Park in San Jose
    Having ridden there a dozen times, I can attest that it could be so much better.

mtbr member
    Pleasanton BMX Park
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    The Shells. Foster City

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Related question - what is the best spot for intermediate progression? Typically ride santa cruz area.. I hit all the little singles, but seems like a big leap to all the bigger stuff and doubles, and I don't really like sessioning on high speed downhills. Ideally would love a spot with different sizes of jumps / drops to session. Lake Cunningham seems like it might fit the bill.

mtbr member
    very cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    The Shells. Foster City
    Second that. With Lake Cunningham closed, that's probably the place. Not too many table tops there though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The tabletop line at Harvey West in SC will help you progress to clearing all of the medium sized gap jumps when you are out delivering mail near campus.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. I've never been, can you help with a trailforks link or something I can google?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Harvey West Pump Track is located at the end of Harvey West Blvd behind the Costco in Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I second Harvey West. Great place to learn doubles and bigger jumps without having to hike back up the trail each time. If you crash you can crawl back to your car and not be stuck out at Demo or the backside of UC.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2000 View Post
    I second Harvey West. Great place to learn doubles and bigger jumps without having to hike back up the trail each time. If you crash you can crawl back to your car and not be stuck out at Demo or the backside of UC.
    Any word if it's open right now, with SIP and everything?

mtbr member
    Lake Cunningham has your name all over it. Other than that (and what you have already ridden), the next best thing in this state IMO (personal opinion) is Tahoe or SoCal.

Don't bother with Stafford Lake if Cunningham is closer. Stafford is closer to me and I still do the pilgrimage to Cunningham.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Lake Cunningham has your name all over it. Other than that (and what you have already ridden), the next best thing in this state IMO (personal opinion) is Tahoe or SoCal.

Don't bother with Stafford Lake if Cunningham is closer. Stafford is closer to me and I still do the pilgrimage to Cunningham.
    Stafford Lake looks good on paper/website, and is on my list to go to, even though a bit of a drive for me.
    What do you not like abt Stafford? Would love to hear. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A long trek, but Redding flow trail is great

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Stafford Lake looks good on paper/website, and is on my list to go to, even though a bit of a drive for me.
    What do you not like abt Stafford? Would love to hear. Thanks.
    Poorly designed for bay area conditions. Big jumps have strong side wind, small jumps at the bottom crazy head wind. Wind is always a factor in the bay area in the summer. It's strong, consistent and predictable, which makes this a prime sailing spot.

In Pleasanton for example, the main jump lines are built in the direction of the wind, so you ride with back wind. That's what happens when jumps are built by the people who ride them day to day.

If you go plan on getting out by noon, usually the wind picks up after that in the summer (in most of the bay area). Check wind forecast a day before.

The main jump line is also problematic, you will see it yourself when you go there. Maybe it's fixed now, I haven't been there a couple of years. But one thing I can tell you for sure is that the wind is still there.

I used to ride with some great BMXers and dirt jumpers (360s, backflips...) and those that checked out Stafford have been there ONCE.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    Poorly designed for bay area conditions. Big jumps have strong side wind, small jumps at the bottom crazy head wind. Wind is always a factor in the bay area in the summer. It's strong, consistent and predictable, which makes this a prime sailing spot.

In Pleasanton for example, the main jump lines are built in the direction of the wind, so you ride with back wind. That's what happens when jumps are built by the people who ride them day to day.

If you go plan on getting out by noon, usually the wind picks up after that in the summer (in most of the bay area). Check wind forecast a day before.

The main jump line is also problematic, you will see it yourself when you go there. Maybe it's fixed now, I haven't been there a couple of years. But one thing I can tell you for sure is that the wind is still there.

I used to ride with some great BMXers and dirt jumpers (360s, backflips...) and those that checked out Stafford have been there ONCE.
    which one is better? Stafford or Pleasanton?

mtbr member
    Stafford is big, pleasanton is very small and some of it is very advanced (steep lips and big gaps). I you are a beginner go to pleasanton and do the beginner lines once or twice. The weekend is packed with kids to the point it's almost unraidable. I would only go weekdays. It's an after work spot for many (and after school too).

If you can go to Cunningham instead, it's the best. Hands down choice for beginners and advanced riders.

mtbr member
    Hit Pacifica today for the first time. Way better (mountain bike) jumps than Cunningham. tons of fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ghebinkim already mentioned it. But since this is the "Northern California" forum. The Enticer trial in Redding has a very progressive jump line that is completely legal and well maintained. Here is a good video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a37tiS6-ul0
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Auburn now has a bike park thats open. Its kinda small but pretty fun for an hour or 2 to practice your jumping/pumping skills

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwsurfer View Post
    Hit Pacifica today for the first time. Way better (mountain bike) jumps than Cunningham. tons of fun.
    Can you post some sort of google search function or trailforks location please? I don't know how to find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    ghebinkim already mentioned it. But since this is the "Northern California" forum. The Enticer trial in Redding has a very progressive jump line that is completely legal and well maintained. Here is a good video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a37tiS6-ul0
    Thanks for sharing the video! This trail looks like a blast. Is there a lot of pedaling to get to the start of Enticer? Looks like Enticer ends at the parking lot but requires a mile or so of pedaling to get to the start of the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    Auburn now has a bike park thats open. Its kinda small but pretty fun for an hour or 2 to practice your jumping/pumping skills
    Thanks for sharing the info. I think my daughter and I are going to check this park out, about 40mins from us. She's finally getting into bikes and wanting to catch some air.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm View Post
    Thanks for sharing the video! This trail looks like a blast. Is there a lot of pedaling to get to the start of Enticer? Looks like Enticer ends at the parking lot but requires a mile or so of pedaling to get to the start of the trail.
    There is a 1.7 mile climb up a mellow trail to reach the top. It is easy to do multiple laps on. Or if you want to practice a particular jump, you can stop and session them.
    Redding Trail Alliance - www.reddingtrailalliance.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm View Post
    Thanks for sharing the info. I think my daughter and I are going to check this park out, about 40mins from us. She's finally getting into bikes and wanting to catch some air.
    Yeah its about 40min from me too (Folsom). Just went again today, fun times! Pump track is good for kids learning to ride. Nothing in between the pump track and slalom/flow trail though, as far as difficulty.