Best Sports Med in Bay Area- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    134

    New question here. Best Sports Med in Bay Area

    I want to see a sports medicine specialialist in the Bay Area about some knee problems and my cycling. Any recommendations? A place that really knows cycling would help.

    I've been to Kaiser and gotten some general help, but they aren't going to address sport specific issues.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    I want to see a sports medicine specialialist in the Bay Area about some knee problems and my cycling. Any recommendations? A place that really knows cycling would help.

    I've been to Kaiser and gotten some general help, but they aren't going to address sport specific issues.

    Thanks

    Dr Chris Mow in the East Bay - he takes care of some of the Forty Niners and other athletes. Also, UCSF has some good sports orthopedic doctors too and an entire department.

  3. #3
    Jed Peters
    Reputation: Zonic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,412
    What do you know, eh?

    LOL.

    The best cycling doctors in the United States are Dr. Eric Heiden and Dr. Massimo Testa.

    They are at the UC Davis Sports Performance Clinic in Sacramento.

    If you have a cycling related injury and are a serious cyclist, I recommend you see one of them.

  4. #4
    Derailleurless
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,122


    Oh, wait... what was the question?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,434

    Dr. Coward

    At the Sacramento Sports & Knee Clinic. These guy's are the best. My knee is feeling great. ( Plus their front office staff are smart & pretty)

  6. #6
    Go Bears!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    I've been to Kaiser and gotten some general help, but they aren't going to address sport specific issues.
    Let me guess: Gave you a photocopied handout and sent you on your way?

    I went to Kaiser years ago when I sprained a knee, and that was what I got. I went a year ago for a flu, and got the same thing. They've misdiagnosed my mom's pneumonia, a friend's father's cancer, etc. On the other hand my wife used to work there, and we have relatives that work there and it's great for them. It depends on the hospital and how impacted/crowded it is. You have to be willing to stay there in their faces until they really give you complete treatment.

    If you have a choice, go with another insurance company. More paperwork, but I'll take a bit more paperwork for better service and treatment.

  7. #7

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    134

    cycling specific

    Yep. kaiser mostly gave me some handouts. although the guy I saw was good. I certainly need to do more of the exercises.

    Some of my concerns are about bike fit, leg length, orthotics. I want to find a place that can really help with cycling. I've been doing a fair amount of road riding lately (must be the Tour) which seems to have exacerbated the problems. Of course, my single speed probably doesn't help.

    I appreciate all the advice. I'd say Sacramento is pushing it a bit for Bay Area sports medicine. I'm talking Marin, the city or East Bay. There are so many cyclists in Marin they have to go to someone.

  8. #8
    Jed Peters
    Reputation: Zonic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfpriest
    Yep. kaiser mostly gave me some handouts. although the guy I saw was good. I certainly need to do more of the exercises.

    Some of my concerns are about bike fit, leg length, orthotics. I want to find a place that can really help with cycling. I've been doing a fair amount of road riding lately (must be the Tour) which seems to have exacerbated the problems. Of course, my single speed probably doesn't help.

    I appreciate all the advice. I'd say Sacramento is pushing it a bit for Bay Area sports medicine. I'm talking Marin, the city or East Bay. There are so many cyclists in Marin they have to go to someone.
    Most of the serious cyclists/racers in the COUNTRY come to get fit/analyzed/checked out by Dr. Testa.

    Motorolla, 7-11. Mapei team doctor. Still coaches Olympic/Pro riders. His guys are racing in the Tour right now.

    Go see him. It's worth it.

  9. #9
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,296
    Kaiser is known as 'Doctor-Assisted Suicide'

    They are fine for having babies and getting vasectomies, but all other treatments I have
    tried were less than stellar.

    Look elsewhere if you can afford it!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,739
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40
    They are fine for having babies and getting vasectomies, but all other treatments I have
    tried were less than stellar.
    They aren't even good for that. I have known two people in the past year with horrible delivery problems that would have never happened at other hospitals. They screwed up my dad's vasectomy so badly it wasn't funny (he was in pain for two years).
    Riding slowly since 1977.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,739
    There is a sports physician in Walnut Creek named Dr. Laura Timmerman that I saw a few years ago for a knee injury. She treats the UC Berkeley atheletes and was very good.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Similar Threads

  1. local bay area trails, directions???
    By scottyboy in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 09:57 PM
  2. 29er savvy shops in SF Bay Area???
    By the_eleven in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 09:14 PM
  3. bay area shops?
    By reklar in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 11:25 AM
  4. Where can I get Roach Shinguides in the SF Bay Area?
    By psychojylo in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 02:54 AM
  5. 4 you Bay Area folks
    By dyogim in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:27 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.