Results 1 to 96 of 96
  1. #1
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,573

    Best Norcal taco - food

    Not burrito, not Tacoma. It's that taco thing that is not a big commitment and you can have two or three different kinds.

    Who makes good ones and what varieties do they do well? Good value?

    Name:  tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  44.0 KB

    What makes it good? State the city please.
    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    Wēk SŰs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,042
    find a dive food truck, and go git some! Seriously. Food trucks do it best.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iWiLRiDe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    537
    Depends on where you're riding. I like Maria's in Auburn, and Jalisco Taco in Donner (not the Northstar location), and Taco's Los Perico's in SC.

  4. #4
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    find a dive food truck, and go git some! Seriously. Food trucks do it best.
    Yechhhh. No thanks. Dinky little tacos with cornuts posing as "beef".
    What's wrong with him??

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 5k bike 50cent legs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3,440
    Sancho's in Palo Alto.

  6. #6
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,573
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    find a dive food truck, and go git some! Seriously. Food trucks do it best.
    No. Just like restaurants, some are schit and some are awesome. The good ones are branded and have some set locations. Name some if you can vouch for good ones.
    IPA will save America

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jibmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,301
    Azteca Market in St. Helena.
    Lengua tacos are killer!
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/azteca-market-st-helena

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,203
    Oakland - Guadalajara / Sinola / Grullense / Mi Rancho, so many other great options too
    San Rafael - Taqueria San Jose
    SF - El Castillo for the Al Pastor
    Truckee - Rotisserie for the tritip or Jalisco if it's not busy
    South Lake Tahoe - Super Taco or Jimenez both in the stateline hotel ghetto
    Rocklin - Adalbertoís for the sandiego tacostand experience
    Auburn - used to go to Maria's, but now Jalisco next to Raleys is great or El Portal

    I've realized that there's so many taquerias around the Loomis - Roseville - Rocklin area on I-80, so I've been exploring there
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  9. #9
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,553
    Taco Bell!
    So many trails... so little time...

  10. #10
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Taco Bell!
    They actually have killer breakfast soft tacos & burritos. You can get a Fiesta breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, potato, little bit o' veggies) and a soft taco (scrambled eggs and either bacon or sausage) for $2.50 after tax. It's been my go-to breakfast for months now.
    What's wrong with him??

  11. #11
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    You guys inspired me- here's the chicken taco lunch at El Senior Frog's here in town. Best deal around. Lunch and a beer- $12.

    Best Norcal taco - food-fooooood.jpg

    Belllllllch
    What's wrong with him??

  12. #12
    Wēk SŰs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,042
    Donít have names and barely locations. Too lazy to look up.

    San Jose - truck in Valero gas station on San Felipe and Aborn
    San Jose - Something Al Pastor (I think). Restaurant on Almaden Expwy and Camden Ave
    Sunnyvale - Tia Juana on Duane Ave near AMD

    Canít remember others off the top of my head. Would have to think and thatís not happening now.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,917
    San Rafael - Taqueria San Jose ,good value ,never had a bad one there there aqua freasca's are good too. Right off 101 after China Camp.

  14. #14
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,268
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    No. Just like restaurants, some are schit and some are awesome. The good ones are branded and have some set locations. Name some if you can vouch for good ones.
    Monterey Catering in Monterey (duh). I think there's more than one truck. The one that serves the Ryan Ranch businesses at lunch is great.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaloKera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yechhhh. No thanks. Dinky little tacos with cornuts posing as "beef".
    You have to find the right taco truck. There is good ones and some are crap. Sometimes, the Salsa is what Makes or breaks the Spot.

    I am mexican and the best tacos i have ever tasted were on a taco truck in Jalisco,right in the heart of Of Mexico.

    Genuine Mexican Tacos.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LaloKera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    298
    And this. 🤣 https://youtu.be/IJBfY5OG1Aw

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    45
    La Taqueria in SF

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    They actually have killer breakfast soft tacos & burritos. You can get a Fiesta breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, potato, little bit o' veggies) and a soft taco (scrambled eggs and either bacon or sausage) for $2.50 after tax. It's been my go-to breakfast for months now.
    If by killer, you mean that they will literally kill you, you are correct!


    My favorite spots in The Mission in SF are La Corneta, El Metate and El Farolito (the one on 24th) - there are other locations in BA w/ the name El Metate that aren't as good, and some have told me that the other locations of La Corneta aren't as good as The Mission location

    This is my favorite truck, but it doesn't seem to have a consistent schedule

    https://roaminghunger.com/tacos-el-tuca/

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by jmil View Post
    La Taqueria in SF
    Very good spot indeed, but unfortunately it is now way too crowded and overpriced after it was name Bestest Burrito in the Universe by Nate Silver and his methodical burrito shootout

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Very good spot indeed, but unfortunately it is now way too crowded and overpriced after it was name Bestest Burrito in the Universe by Nate Silver and his methodical burrito shootout
    So true. Since then, every time I try to go, there's a line out the door. So many other places to go...
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  21. #21
    Obi
    Obi is offline
    -_-
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,741
    FC, since you like to do some serious cooking message Mrs.Obi. She just did a batch of her marinated chicken tacos and fried taquitos. #MexicanWife

    As for #TheBestEver, Tony's Restaurant, Chapala but I'm biased because Tony's family.

    Locally it all depends. The food trucks in San Jose and Santa Clara are killing it lately.
    Last edited by Obi; 01-07-2018 at 08:43 PM.

  22. #22
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,094
    Went with a co-irker a couple week ago to the Sinaloa truck near Lake Merritt. Need to go back.

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-sinaloa-oakland-2
    Don't harsh my mello

  23. #23
    fading away
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,989
    Metro Balderas Taqueria:
    metrobalderastaquerias.com
    300 Willow St, San Jose, CA 95110

    But they donít serve beer.

    Oh, but they are open on Thanksgiving which is helpful.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mstrkrft69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Not burrito, not Tacoma. It's that taco thing that is not a big commitment and you can have two or three different kinds.

    Who makes good ones and what varieties do they do well? Good value?

    Name:  tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  44.0 KB

    What makes it good? State the city please.
    San Francisco taco trucks in the mission. 23rd and treat, 18th and Harrison, 15th and harrison. Click.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Monterey Catering in Monterey (duh). I think there's more than one truck. The one that serves the Ryan Ranch businesses at lunch is great.
    Is Monterey Catering in Monterey?
    What's wrong with him??

  26. #26
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Very good spot indeed, but unfortunately it is now way too crowded and overpriced after it was name Bestest Burrito in the Universe by Nate Silver and his methodical burrito shootout
    Man, the words 'burrito' and 'shootout' when combined are just wrong.
    What's wrong with him??

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    San Francisco taco trucks in the mission. 23rd and treat, 18th and Harrison, 15th and harrison. Click.
    That sounds like Toyonese. They kick ass.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    540
    First rule of FIght Club. Get a guide.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mstrkrft69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    That sounds like Toyonese. They kick ass.
    Yup

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mstrkrft69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    San Rafael - Taqueria San Jose ,good value ,never had a bad one there there aqua freasca's are good too. Right off 101 after China Camp.
    Done that one!

    Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    AKD
    AKD is offline
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Reputation: AKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,251
    Flores in San Francisco. Yes, it's in the Marina/Cow Hollow area. Yes, dinner is exorbitant, particularly for Mexican food. But the happy hour tacos are $3 and the drinks are really well made. Bonus points that it's stumbling distance from my place.

  32. #32
    Formerly dvo
    Reputation: mtbrdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,617
    El Grullense in Redwood City and Palo Alto. Taco truck at Mitsuwa on Saratoga.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    The best chicken taco Iíve had is New Mecca in Pittsburg CA. (Outside of El Paso Texas)
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    45
    This is a big deal, please research extensively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsEnh0q9KLk

    If you need a quick bite after santa cruz, Habaneros in Scotts Valley has a drive thru right off 17, food is pretty decent.

  35. #35
    Cheeseburgler
    Reputation: gryphonics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    380
    El matate in belmont. Best on the peninsula.

    But the best I have ever had have been in San Diego, don't remember names, but every divey taco place that was moderatly busy there is always amazing it seems.

  36. #36
    ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Reputation: fred-da-trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,509
    Any busy taco truck where you have to stand in line. 1. The food turn over keeps it fresh. 2. Repeat customers are in the know. I learned this eating off Baja taco trucks in the 1980's. It has never failed.
    .

    I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Yahooo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    105
    Taco trucks I like- great tacos and burritos at reasonable prices:

    Woodland- intersection of Hwy 113 and Main St

    Winters- intersection of Railroad and Hwy 128 (grab your tacos and head to Berryessa Brewery a few miles down 128)

    Rio Vista- truck on Hwy 12 just before the Sac River bridge. They even have a call in number so your order can be waiting - (707) 470-6437

    To me defining characteristics of a good taco truck are the quality and freshness of the meat and the sauce.

  38. #38
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,573
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    Any busy taco truck where you have to stand in line. 1. The food turn over keeps it fresh. 2. Repeat customers are in the know. I learned this eating off Baja taco trucks in the 1980's. It has never failed.
    Agree. You can eyeball the line too and gauge if they are taco fans
    IPA will save America

  39. #39
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,573

    Best Norcal taco - food

    Quote Originally Posted by Obi View Post
    FC, since you like to do some serious cooking message Mrs.Obi. She just did a batch of her marinated chicken tacos and fried taquitos. #MexicanWife

    ...
    That's ok. I hardly know you and I do not know your wife. And i don't eat meat. #trifecta
    IPA will save America

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    i don't eat meat.
    I was thinking this when you started this thread FC - why torture yourself with learning about all this amazing food you won't even be able to eat! - let's start a vegetarian thread for you!

  41. #41
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    Oakland - Guadalajara / Sinola / Grullense / Mi Rancho, so many other great options too
    San Rafael - Taqueria San Jose
    SF - El Castillo for the Al Pastor
    Truckee - Rotisserie for the tritip or Jalisco if it's not busy
    South Lake Tahoe - Super Taco or Jimenez both in the stateline hotel ghetto
    Rocklin - Adalbertoís for the sandiego tacostand experience
    Auburn - used to go to Maria's, but now Jalisco next to Raleys is great or El Portal

    I've realized that there's so many taquerias around the Loomis - Roseville - Rocklin area on I-80, so I've been exploring there
    Baeza is my go to in Truckee - nothing special at all - but good - standard issue tacos w/ meat, cilantro and onions. Super good hot sauces if you ask for them. They sometimes have a salsa con cacahuates which is really good.

    There is a new-ish mexican market near Save Mart on Deerfield Drive up here in Truckee that is stupid cheap and has really good marinated chicken and asada. They make carnitas on Sundays and Chicharones on Saturdays.

    Any Super Taqueria in the south bay.

  42. #42
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,573
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    I was thinking this when you started this thread FC - why torture yourself with learning about all this amazing food you won't even be able to eat! - let's start a vegetarian thread for you!
    That's ok. It's not about me all the time. Even on the threads I start. Ultimately though, I still learn something.
    IPA will save America

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Monterey Catering in Monterey (duh). I think there's more than one truck. The one that serves the Ryan Ranch businesses at lunch is great.
    Nice! never seen that. Been hitting Zarape in Seaside on a regular basis and is one of the better brick and mortars.

    The best by far that I have discovered since moving to the 831 is tacos Ameca in Gilroy, I usually don't spill the beans but I can't pass Gilroy on 101 with out their asada or pastor tacos. I met a mexican family who travel from Watsonville for their food.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    749
    "There is a new-ish mexican market near Save Mart on Deerfield Drive up here in Truckee that is stupid cheap and has really good marinated chicken and asada. They make carnitas on Sundays and Chicharones on Saturdays." quote

    Agree with the reco on Mi Pueblito.
    Casa B... We call Casa de Blackout. Those Margaritas are hi-test.
    We have switched from Jalisco regulars to Golden Rotisserie regulars. My six Y.O. calls it the Happy Chicken!
    I spent yesterday making torillas with the new-to-me legit wooden tortilla press Santa brought me... mmmmm

  45. #45
    Wēk SŰs
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,042
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    That's ok. It's not about me all the time. Even on the threads I start. Ultimately though, I still learn something.
    Is there a veggie taco?

  46. #46
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,612
    I prefer my own tacos to most restaurants. If you know of some that would compare to Tacos El Yaqui in Rosarito, Baja then I'm all ears.

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-yaqui-rosarito

    Best Norcal taco - food-img_5316.jpg
    Best Norcal taco - food-tacos-el-yaqui.jpg

  47. #47
    wretch
    Reputation: Truckee Trash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    Quote Originally Posted by John Svahn View Post
    "There is a new-ish mexican market near Save Mart on Deerfield Drive up here in Truckee that is stupid cheap and has really good marinated chicken and asada. They make carnitas on Sundays and Chicharones on Saturdays." quote

    Agree with the reco on Mi Pueblito.
    Casa B... We call Casa de Blackout. Those Margaritas are hi-test.
    We have switched from Jalisco regulars to Golden Rotisserie regulars. My six Y.O. calls it the Happy Chicken!
    I spent yesterday making torillas with the new-to-me legit wooden tortilla press Santa brought me... mmmmm
    I need to check out the rotisserie! Thanks for the reminder. Nothing beats homemade...anything!

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Baeza is my go to in Truckee - nothing special at all - but good - standard issue tacos w/ meat, cilantro and onions. Super good hot sauces if you ask for them. They sometimes have a salsa con cacahuates which is really good.

    . . .

    Any Super Taqueria in the south bay.
    Baeza is pretty much my restaurant standby... except I'm very careful about drinking there. The Truckee PD like to wait for people leaving there and pull them over...

    Definitely Super Taqueria!
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  49. #49
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    31,573
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Is there a veggie taco?
    I eat phish now as long as it's supah phresh.
    IPA will save America

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    If you know of some that would compare to Tacos El Yaqui in Rosarito, Baja then I'm all ears.
    Well that's not fair! - bringing a gun to a knife fight when you start comparing tacos from MX to tacos from CA - I bet this spot in Sayulita will give it a run!

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-ivan-sayulita

    Name:  tacos2.png
Views: 635
Size:  313.2 KB

    Name:  tacos3.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  55.0 KB

  51. #51
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Reputation: snowjnky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,538
    Taco Truck

    Super Tacos El Conrro.
    El Camino Real Mountain View at the Car-wash parking lot near Regnstorff.

    Please be careful of the green salsa

    Sit Down
    Plaza Garibaldi
    San Jose
    Santa Clara and 24th
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

  52. #52
    Snowjnky McDreamy
    Reputation: snowjnky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,538
    Quote Originally Posted by skyno View Post
    Well that's not fair! - bringing a gun to a knife fight when you start comparing tacos from MX to tacos from CA - I bet this spot in Sayulita will give it a run!

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-ivan-sayulita

    Name:  tacos2.png
Views: 635
Size:  313.2 KB

    Name:  tacos3.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  55.0 KB
    Yeah MX tacos my vote is Tacos Y Mariscos El Sinaloense in Todos Santos

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...alifornia.html Best Norcal taco - food-el-sinaloense-seafood.jpgBest Norcal taco - food-taco.jpg
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,556
    In Salinas: La Casa Del Sazon. either location just off of South Main St.
    Taco Tuesday Special - $1 each for any meat and they're ALL excellent.

    -Literally every single other dish there is excellent.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,268
    Anyone have a recommended taco spot near JMP? Does one exist?

  55. #55
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    That sounds like Toyonese. They kick ass.
    Yep sounds like -but spelled- tonayense Had a quad plate there yesterday at the Harison Best Buy truck con todo y salsa picante.

  56. #56
    Hella Olde
    Reputation: DH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,544
    Just head all the way down to International Blvd - Taco truck heaven.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,203
    Your nearest taco to JMP is Compadres in Montclair (I call it the 2nd best mexican food in Montclair). It does the job.

    But a quick drop down the hill will land you in Fruitvale and International Blvd, where you'll find the goods. An incomplete guide: https://sf.eater.com/maps/best-tacos...ll-taco-trucks
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: infotekt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    136
    Taqueria Tlaquepaque on Lincoln ave in Willow Glen. Carne asada and al pastor! so good.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Silent_G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    376
    Nixtaco in Roseville, EVERYTHING made in house, you'll never want to go anywhere else.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Everyday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    36
    Lucy's Mexican Grill on blossom hill in san jose. If we're talking taco trucks than Tacos Santiaguito on Saratoga ave. Both spots worth checking out if you're in the area

  61. #61
    Clever Title
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_G View Post
    Nixtaco in Roseville, EVERYTHING made in house, you'll never want to go anywhere else.
    Came here to say this. If you're coming through Sac on 80, get to Nixtaco. GREAT taps too. NIXTACO ‚Äď Really Mexican Tacos

  62. #62
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,965

    Taqueria Sinaloa

    at the corner of international blvd. and fruitvale ave in Oakland. Grab your food and head over to Ale Industries and grab and pint and feast. Love doing this after rides...

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dchester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    540
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Came here to say this. If you're coming through Sac on 80, get to Nixtaco. GREAT taps too. NIXTACO ‚Äď Really Mexican Tacos
    Nix is crack. The chicharron will drop panties. You will enter rehab after eating here.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    462
    a few of my favorites,

    tacos el compa taqueria in blossom hill rd, san jose

    super taqueria at 911 McLaughlin Ave, San Jose

    El super burrito in Millbrae
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Norcal taco - food-35d433fb-e0bb-47c5-ab2e-65e91872815c.jpg  


  65. #65
    Totally, and to the max.
    Reputation: K-max's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,550
    Ron Aclan's grill. Located out of his hatchback in various dirt lots around the south bay and Santa Cruz. Look for the signature Golden State Warrior's laser-cut spatula and a contagious smile. If you see him, I'm probably somewhere nearby.

    Photo: Ron making his famous Paella Taco for two.

    Best Norcal taco - food-17757142_10154700153803019_4870990820404360493_n.jpg

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: etuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    973
    Taqueria Vallarta on 24th in SF my favorite legit street stype taco's. Oh and Nicks Crispies made Nick's way. Its gringo mexican food but flipping delicious.

    I love El Castallito too but go burrito there.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Oh and Nicks Crispies made Nick's way. Its gringo mexican food but flipping delicious.
    2nd that. Nick Crispy Tacos are about as whitebread as it can get, down to their Nantucket-style decorating.

    But it is a damn good taco.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,140
    C Casa in Napa. Healthy and good!

    El Molino Central in Sonoma is pretty good too.

  69. #69
    tjp
    tjp is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    405
    Chavez Market in Ukiah, they make your tortillas to order in a janky, worn out tortilla press. The best I've had, and I grew up in Salinas working in the fields with my Dad...

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,173
    This isn't even close, Taqueria San Bruno is the best. It is cheap and the only Michelin rated taqueria around I know of. It blows away the famous places in the City.

    https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rest...o-470241-41102

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-san-bruno-san-bruno

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    105
    Los Gallos in Concord for us way east bay folks...

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Harry Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,268
    ^this!

  73. #73
    Formerly dvo
    Reputation: mtbrdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    In Salinas: La Casa Del Sazon. either location just off of South Main St.
    Taco Tuesday Special - $1 each for any meat and they're ALL excellent.

    -Literally every single other dish there is excellent.
    Went there for lunch today, 3 tacos took them 30 minutes with just 4 people in there. No Tuesday special either. Tasty but not worth the wait.
    I'm the problem....

  74. #74
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post

    -Literally every single other dish there is excellent.
    Say wut.

  75. #75
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrummin View Post
    Came here to say this. If you're coming through Sac on 80, get to Nixtaco. GREAT taps too. NIXTACO ‚Äď Really Mexican Tacos
    Going to check these guys out Sat. Taps are outrageous (online), but the food had better be good or you owe us for a 1/2 hour drive.

  76. #76
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    Quote Originally Posted by tjp View Post
    Chavez Market in Ukiah, they make your tortillas to order in a janky, worn out tortilla press. The best I've had, and I grew up in Salinas working in the fields with my Dad...
    Ooh, good tip. My sis lives in Yokayo, will have to try next time I visit.

    (Edit: bought beer there once, but no food. Bummer)

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Went there for lunch today, 3 tacos took them 30 minutes with just 4 people in there. No Tuesday special either. Tasty but not worth the wait.

    -Trippy. I was there at Noon yesterday and the special was goin'.
    2 of us DEMOLISHED 16 Tacos.

    Were you at the one on Clay St./Salinas or Romie Lane?
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

  78. #78
    Formerly dvo
    Reputation: mtbrdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT View Post
    -Trippy. I was there at Noon yesterday and the special was goin'.
    2 of us DEMOLISHED 16 Tacos.

    Were you at the one on Clay St./Salinas or Romie Lane?
    Romie Lane

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,556
    Huh, i'm surprised they're not doing the lunch special at both locations...

    So. Go to Clay Street peep's next time you're in Salinas. You won't be disappointed!
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

  80. #80
    mtbr memeber
    Reputation: jpre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    541
    In regard to trucks, not brick and mortar, it looks like no one has mentioned the Los Plebes Mexican Food Truck, AKA the Lytton Springs Taco Truck. Not far from if you're riding at Lake Sonoma. Fantastic carne asada. I don't live that close to it and I find myself wondering why I haven't found a place local to me that does carne asada like they do.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ucdengboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    252
    No trails nearby but Chandos Tacos in Rancho Cordova and Sacramento also have a taco truck and are good. Always a line out onto the street.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    In regard to trucks, not brick and mortar, it looks like no one has mentioned the Los Plebes Mexican Food Truck, AKA the Lytton Springs Taco Truck. Not far from if you're riding at Lake Sonoma. Fantastic carne asada. I don't live that close to it and I find myself wondering why I haven't found a place local to me that does carne asada like they do.
    Great stuff. Both times I was there, a garbage truck would stop there for lunch. Tough enjoying a great taco smelling that.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  83. #83
    Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Reputation: fgiraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,034
    (Zombie thread re-awakening, but it's never not time to talk taco)

    Bummed to learn that Jaliscos Tacos in South Lake Tahoe no longer makes fresh corn tortillas. This takes their fish tacos from "awesome" to "OK" IMHO.

    Anyone in SLT make tacos with fresh tortillas now?

    They've also moved across the parking lot, but still behind the Port O' Subs.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    Iím buying bags for my motorcycle. Iím gonna ride up the coast to Vancouver island. Iím looking for awesome tacos the entire way.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    I used to drive past a warehouse that food trucks parked. At the end of day, I would see all Hands on deck scrubbing them down.

    Iíve never been on one, do they design them to be easy to clean?
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    In regard to trucks, not brick and mortar, it looks like no one has mentioned the Los Plebes Mexican Food Truck, AKA the Lytton Springs Taco Truck. Not far from if you're riding at Lake Sonoma. Fantastic carne asada. I don't live that close to it and I find myself wondering why I haven't found a place local to me that does carne asada like they do.
    Iíve never known the name of that truck. Thanks.

    Pro tip. Park strategically; donít park in some wide open space. You are eating at your car, and if you have a big space around you; a garbage truck WILL post up right next to you. Eating next to that smell is not humanly possible. . Know the wind direction, and use it.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,299
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I prefer my own tacos to most restaurants. If you know of some that would compare to Tacos El Yaqui in Rosarito, Baja then I'm all ears.

    https://www.yelp.com/biz/tacos-el-yaqui-rosarito

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5316.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	1176920

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tacos-el-yaqui.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	1176924
    Shit. Yes those are great. Even after experimenting with absinthe.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

  88. #88
    ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Reputation: fred-da-trog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,509
    Home made for the win. Encrusted parmesan tortillas for appetizer, entree and dessert. Can't wait for Taco Tuesday. Tonight's Monday choice includes fish too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Norcal taco - food-taco-monday.jpg  

    .

    I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

  89. #89
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,624
    I've said it before and I'll say it again- Taco Bell has a good 'n' cheap breakfast menu. Try the soft breakfast tacos (eggs, cheese, bacon or sausage), for $1 or the grilled fiesta potato breakfast burrito (egg, potato, pico, nacho cheese sauce) @ $2. Mini skillet bowls are good, too, if you don't want a tortilla. You can get stuffed for around $4.

    Yours looks better, Fred, just saying if you want a fairly healthy meal on the way to the trailhead... Beats a sausageaMuffin.

    https://www.tacobell.com/food/breakfast
    What's wrong with him??

  90. #90
    Jed Peters
    Reputation: Zonic Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,388
    Quote Originally Posted by dchester View Post
    Nix is crack. The chicharron will drop panties. You will enter rehab after eating here.
    Your wallet will need rehab as well. The place is bank.

  91. #91
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,612
    It's not NorCal but since I see MTBR members in Maui occasionally (2 are there right now) I want to save you some grief. DO NOT eat at Nachos Grande in Lahaina, Maui. The food was so horribly inedible that we left 95% of our food on our plates and walked out. My burrito had large chunks of pig fat and weird gristly pieces of meat/cartilage in it that I had to keep spitting out. I'm good with fat when it's supposed to be there and cooked correctly like Filipino pork adobo or tocino but this was plain nasty AF. Jeni and Riley said their food tasted gross as well. How you can screw up a dish of rice with beans on the side is beyond me.

  92. #92
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    Shit. Yes those are great. Even after experimenting with absinthe.
    LOL ohh damn!

  93. #93
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    Iíve never known the name of that truck. Thanks.

    Pro tip. Park strategically; donít park in some wide open space. You are eating at your car, and if you have a big space around you; a garbage truck WILL post up right next to you. Eating next to that smell is not humanly possible. . Know the wind direction, and use it.
    Hear, Hear!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flipnidaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,140
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    It's not NorCal but since I see MTBR members in Maui occasionally (2 are there right now) I want to save you some grief. DO NOT eat at Nachos Grande in Lahaina, Maui. The food was so horribly inedible that we left 95% of our food on our plates and walked out. My burrito had large chunks of pig fat and weird gristly pieces of meat/cartilage in it that I had to keep spitting out. I'm good with fat when it's supposed to be there and cooked correctly like Filipino pork adobo or tocino but this was plain nasty AF. Jeni and Riley said their food tasted gross as well. How you can screw up a dish of rice with beans on the side is beyond me.
    Mexican in Hawaii is probably generally a bad idea. Adobo or Spam and eggs on the other hand...

  95. #95
    SOG
    SOG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    525
    after UC rides I head to Los Pericos for Tacos Al Pastor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Norcal taco - food-img_0170.jpg  


  96. #96
    Captain One Lung Administrator
    Reputation: JCWages's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Mexican in Hawaii is probably generally a bad idea. Adobo or Spam and eggs on the other hand...
    Haha now you tell me.

    I sampled some fastastic pizza at Pizza Paradiso and the Loco Moco at Maui Brewing was bomb!

    LOCO MOCO
    Kahuna burger patty (50% hambuger 50% bacon), two eggs over easy, fried
    onion strings, and duck fat gravy over white rice
    Best Norcal taco - food-20181019_165722.jpg

    I saw Fc's dream truck too... lol
    Best Norcal taco - food-924201814319.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Norcal Lycra - Norcal Baggies
    By motorbacon in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-09-2017, 04:57 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 04:20 AM
  3. "Best" NM Taco Stand
    By Mtn. Biker123 in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM
  4. NorCal Pliny vs. NorCal PBR
    By Biker_Scout_Sparky in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 06:36 PM
  5. EPIC TACO time
    By moutainb1ker in forum Specialized
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Members who have read this thread: 100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.