Best Mountain Biking Maps Apps?- Mtbr.com
    Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004

Best Mountain Biking Maps Apps?

So far I like the MotionX GPS app the best because it includes the Open Street Cycle Maps (as a MotionX terrain map selection) and it shows single track vs roads. Also tracking works very well along with total descent and other metrics and you can download the terrain map for offline use.

Singletracks is OK but like most of the others I've tried you can't tell single tracks from roads. You can download maps but not all the tiles download. I tried many times to download El Corte Madera trails and I'm on big pipe broadband. It has poorly edited contributed tracks with some trail analysis. The app is full of other stuff like checkin and badges, an old concept that most app developers are getting away from for better user experiences. Apps should focus on one thing and do it very well.

Google's terrain map is the best for seeing the terrain but we can't use it offline so the apps can't save it. In MotionX you can see your tracks over it. It doesn't show trails well however.

All Trails also uses the Open Street Cycle Map but to download it you have to login and pay $15/year. It includes contributed tracks that lay over the Open Street info but nothing for Downieville or Kernville for starters.

IMBA's MTB project has no terrain map, not even using the Open Street Cycle Map, so the information is really limited. I tried contributing to the tracks but the user experience is less than satisfying. Mostly it is nothing more than some wiggly lines with some user provided narrative and photos. I want terrain info.

Has anyone found the ideal MTB map app?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I've been using MotionX for a while now and haven't found anything better. The map downloads + gpx imports are great when exploring new area.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I use Gaia GPS. Lots of downloadable map layers.

Yeah!
    Derp.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    For tracking my rides I use Runtastic Mountain Biking, its no Strava for competitiveness but has a lot more data aspects to it. I like seeing my improvements in more than just doing a segment faster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

+1 on runtastic too. You can chose different map interfaces like google or open street. You can download maps for offline use which is great since I am using an offline old iphone as my gps. I can also download the data from the website to upload to strava later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

OpenMaps on iOS is cool. It even (gasp) shows and names trails that do/don't exist in Santa Cruz.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try them all :-)

We rode El Corte Madera yesterday and I was able to use Google Terrain because I previously downloaded / viewed the map tiles and didn't change to another map. This is not the same as the downloading / caching feature in many apps. This is a bit of a hack but it does work because apps can legally cache what is being viewed. There is no cell reception down in the canyon, at least not on AT&T.

Jim

mtbr member
    MotionX is my favorite. Just be sure your "zoom level" is high enough when you download a map. MotionX® | Map Downloads | MotionX ® | FAQ & Support

Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    I've been using MotionX for a while now and haven't found anything better. The map downloads + gpx imports are great when exploring new area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride." :D