Best Marked Trails Near Sonoma?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Best Marked Trails Near Sonoma?

Visiting relatives in a few weeks in the Healdsburg area. Will have car and will look for bike rental (suggestions?) shop. I have been to Anadel Park but want to check out other areas. So, which trail systems have maps and are marked well so as they are suited for tourists?

Unfortunately I won't have time for all day adventures involving wandering around. Thanks!
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

Broken but on the mend
    well i was going to say Annadel but i read your post so i guess that out. i love that place. tons of riding. but you could venture on down to Napa and hit Oat hill mine or go a little further down and hit up Skyline park

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    China Camp or Tamarancho ,what kind of riding are you looking to do? There's a small park in Windsor.

mtbr member
    Lake Sonoma and Oat Hill Mine road (in Calistoga) are both nearby. I'd ride them more if they were closer to where I live, for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Give Boggs a try. With so little rain it should be smooth and mud free! Oat Hill is also worth a try.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by sick4surf View Post
    Visiting relatives in a few weeks in the Healdsburg area.

Unfortunately I won't have time for all day adventures involving wandering around. Thanks!
    Being in Healdsburg puts you right near Lake Sonoma trails. Only thing is it's mainly a long energetic 26-30 mile loop around the lake, with some other challenging segments away from the lake across Rockpile Rd. There are really no amenities to speak of once you're on the trail, as the few spots that would be are currently closed down under budget cuts.

Putting Annadel aside, the next in proximity would be Sugarloaf SP a few minutes drive farther East down Hwy 12. There's some newly opened trails to mtb's in Red Mountain and Brushy Peak but you'll earn your turn to get to them after climbing up a gravel, then unmaintained paved service road to get to a final dirt ascent up to the Bald Mtn Summit. From there you'll take Grey Pine to Brushy Peak which turns into the Planet Walk trail back down to the observatory parking lot. Not a big mileage ride but plenty of effort. Parking fee, maps, amenities and marked trails. Figure ~2-3 hours depending on climbing/ascending abilities and route choice.

Boggs is another possibility and only ~1hr drive from Hwy 101 taking Mark West over to Calistoga, then Hwy 29 over to Middletown, then 175 up to Cobb. Water and toilets at CDF staging areas with maps and plenty of well marked trails. Coffee/Grub before/after in town. That may be more of an outing but would give you the most trails. Figure 3-5 hours depending on routes and abilities.

Oathill Mine Trail would be a shorter car trip and is just outside of downtown Calistoga(not Napa) @ Silverado Trail. Some do the ~4 mile up and back down (~8 round trip) segment to an old encampment up in the saddle. You can extend the ride out another 2 miles or so before you'd do another 2 miles with the descent and turn around end point at Aetna Springs. Total would be ~18 miles out and back from Calistoga. A very energetic and somewhat technical sections outing should be warned. Figure 2-4 hours riding depending on your climbing/ascending abilities and breaks etc.

Skyline Park in Napa is another spot but farther away. You can park at the parking lot off Streblow near the Napa Comm College. Take river to Ridge trail into the park, then up on Lake Marie road, or Buckeye to Skyline and eventually get to Lake Marie. You can take Skyline out to Tueter Loop and back. Marie Crek/Manzanita would be a little more challenging to go down. Your riding capabilities need to be tuned. Figure 2-4 hours depending on how much you take on.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Great!

Thanks for the detailed info, now I have a few more choices.

If anyone has suggestions for a decent bike rental shop I would be glad to hear it. I forgot the name of the shop I rented from last year.
    Michael Vitti
    CLIMB President
    www.CLIMBonline.org
    www.IMBA.com
    NY State Trails Council Member

Uncle
    Jmac is THE authority on this subject. I'm pretty sure he rides out that way for a living, and really loves his work.

I haven't been to all his recommended spots, but will cast my official vote for Boggs. If its had even (and only) a little bit of moisture, it's probably in great shape right now. Game Trail for the win.
    I'll also toss out Skyline Park in Napa. It's not a ton of trailage there, but enough for a single day certainly. Jmac, is that ~30min from Healdsburg?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Jmac is THE authority on this subject. I'm pretty sure he rides out that way for a living, and really loves his work.

I haven't been to all his recommended spots, but will cast my official vote for Boggs. If its had even (and only) a little bit of moisture, it's probably in great shape right now. Game Trail for the win.
    I'll also toss out Skyline Park in Napa. It's not a ton of trailage there, but enough for a single day certainly. Jmac, is that ~30min from Healdsburg?
    Ride since I don't have work currently but anyone hiring for that position I'd be very interested!! And yes ~30 minutes.
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

mtbr member
    Jmac-- Thanks for the local knowledge. Do you know of any trails around Petaluma/Bodega/Tomales besides Helen Putnam park?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    Jmac-- Thanks for the local kniowledge. Do you know of any trails around Petaluma/Bodega/Tomales besides Helen Putnam park?
    Other than Bolinas Ridge or Point Reyes, no.
    Marin Hawk Hill ll

mtbr member
    May 2007
    hey jmac - i didn't know they opened red mtn and bushy to bikes. cool.

oat mine in calistoga is a great chunky out and back. big climb, big downhill

but, if you have the time go to Boggs. good maps and variety of trails.

post up closer to when you arrive, i or others may be able to give a tour somewhere.