mtbr member

Best Marin County tires please!

2014 5010C 27.5

Looking for some tips on the best tires for Marin. Namimgly China Camp, Tamo, Annadel, plus Skeggs down south. I ride 90% at these areas. With the occasional fire road as a trainer. I pancaked myself pretty good 2 weeks ago in the headlands on hateful sharp gravel. Hardpack and loose gravel. Looking for good traction on loose corners, weight savings plus a tire I can leave on year round.

I have light bicycles wide AM carbon rims (which I love!) And looking for 2.4(ish)

I'll likely go with Maxxis and having read them up still not totally sure how to go. Minions, Ardent are on my radar.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    I have been running the Vittoria Morsa front/Mezcal rear for Skeggs and around midpen. Fast rolling, good hookup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Minion DHR/DHF are pretty awesome and really commonly used. Great grip but they are heavy supposedly. You can find a lot about this combo.

mtbr member
    I use a DHF/Aggressor combo in the summer. DHF is one of the most dependable tires in dry, dusty and rocky conditions, and Ive been very impressed with the Aggressor as it rolls fast but brakes and corners really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    It's called trail running shoes -- those are proper rubber for Marin County.

mtbr member
    I run DHF front and rear. But for your riding I would go DHF/Aggressor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    I use a DHF/Aggressor combo in the summer. DHF is one of the most dependable tires in dry, dusty and rocky conditions, and Ive been very impressed with the Aggressor as it rolls fast but brakes and corners really well.

This is what I just got with my new bike. I was impressed with the grip at China Camp (super dry and dusty right now). But, I suck at cornering so couldn't tell you how much better they actually are.

I also got them super fat at 2.5

Not helpful.
    Smoke/Fire. California tires.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    DHF front with practically any Maxxis tire in the rear depending on your traction needs/rolling resistance preference.

mtbr member
    I'm curious about the new WTB tires coming out, specifically the 2.5 Vigilante and 2.4 Trail Boss. Currently on 2.3 DHF/Aggressor, which is good, but they look kind of stupid on my 29mm inner width rims. The WT tires don't quite seem to fit right either.

mtbr member
    Live and ride in Marin as well as most of the other bay area locals and anywhere outside of the bay area that I can. Best front tire I've used for trail riding, assuming you're not racing XC and weight isn't a priority, is a 2.5 Minion DHF (3C ideally). Predicable most everywhere so can leave it on and not have to worry about where I take it - works well on the local trails (and Marin in the summer really does seem to have the highest abundance of sketchy piss poor gravel dirt, especially on high traffic trails) in addition to Anandel, SC, Downieville/lakes basin, Tahoe, Ashland, Bend, Colorado, Whistler, etc. For reference have used it in a 29er for basically the last two years with 29-34mm ID rims (even briefly on a 40mm ID rim). Yes I've gone through a fair bit of tire experimenting as well.

For rear, still haven't found the holy grail of grip/weight/puncture resistance/rolling resistance so still go through way too many tires in the quest. 2.3 or 2.5 DHF's do work well though, just a bit on the slower side.

Haven't had a chance to try and Aggressor except for one ride on a 2.5 - tread works really well for around here, good support and transition on the loose stuff but the 2.3 is fairly under sized and a 2.5 definitely isn't the fastest rolling, better than a DHR it seems but if weight/speed is a priority than probably not a good choice.

2.4 Ardents can feel somewhat vague cornering, especially if you tend to lean the bike a bit, ran them in the past and roll well but not confident enough corner wise.

2.3 Forkaster was actually surprisingly good over the "winter", kind of like a better version of an ardent - rolls well, good support on hard cornering though haven't tried it on bone dry conditions like now - have a feeling the transition leaning it over might feel a bit iffy but would still catch once you start pushing it. Problem is it's a 700g XC tire so not great puncture wise (speaking from experience).

DHR's roll SLOW. Some people don't care, braking traction is great, cornering traction is great. I'll somewhat regularly do 3-5 hour rides and don't have a chair lift in my back yard so not my favorite.

HRII's never felt that confident cornering wise to me for some reason. Might have been the way the paddle center lugs transition to the sharp side lugs, might have been the rim set up/compound I had (was a while ago I tried one so can't remember the exact set up). know people do like them though, the 2.4 and WT ones do look beefier than the 2.3's too so might be the better set up to try.

WTB tires - have never had a casing/tread combo that felt good... High grip tires actually have grip but roll slow and wear out fast. Tough casings roll slow, anything light/fast feels super vague/not supported. 2.3 vigilante's are good in the wet but not a fan in the dry/loose like now. Only tried trail bosses in the light/fast and roll well but side knobs not really supportive so feels washy-er than it should. Funny since they've nailed just about every gravel tire they've come out with...

A few local guys like Schwalbe Hans Damfs. Old (pre-addix) wore out too fast for my liking (especially for a $90 tire). Not sure how much better the addix soft is, also just redesigned it and haven't seen a new new one in person yet (not sure you can get them yet). Tread wise pretty good all -arounder trail tire though.

Bontrager tires don't get that much rep, but the old XR4's or SE4's were actually a perfect tire for dry Marin trails. Newer version I used for a bit two winter's ago in a 2.4 and was a little slippery on roots in the wet, otherwise pretty good, and has been the most recent tire on the back of my bike in a 2.6. Pretty darn good traction wise in that set up (is a 2.6 after all..) but can really feel the width in the rolling department. As soon as I can get a 2.4 going to try it and see if that helps. Also if you are hard on tires, SE is about the same just beefier casing so heavier (aka better in the rocks).

Michelin Wild Racer Enduro was the closest to perfect rear tire that I've tried except for the fact that 1. it looked pretty much worn out after two weekend in D-ville (granted one being a race weekend, so a bit more excusable), and two it was way to susceptible to casing punctures for a 950g tire. Pretty much been my experience with Michelin, really good grip, not so much durability.

Haven't used E13 tires but everyone who has run them loved them for grip and traction. Seems like even their firm compound would be really sticky for a rear tire (for me at least) but kind of same as a DHR, cornering grip and brake traction looks like it would be top notch. Probably better up front though.

Sorry kind of spiraled into a long rant on tires but hopefully can glean some info from that. Plenty of other options out there too, don't sell specialized tires so no experience with them other than seeing a lot of their light XC casings blow off stans rims when setting up tubeless (really scared of that set up now). Hoping Maxxis end up coming out with a 2.4 Rekon in an EXO+ casing, seems like on paper might be the closest thing to a do everything rear but just another way to justify spending money I shouldn't be spending in the long run (sigh...)

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Just brilliant share!!!!!!!!!

Wtb has all new tires that should address some of your issues. Not light but very good.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I ride china camp at least twice a week.

currently running DHF front, with an Aggressor Double down, both 2.3, has been awesome, no complaints. the aggressor holds well in corners, and the double down sidewalls are really strong (and sorta difficult to get into the rim when setting up)
    I had an ardent rear before, and while they roll fast, they have very little grip when its dusty or wet, and the sidewalls (and tread) were unbelievably easy to tear. if you're riding in the headlands, i'd highly recommend against an ardent, the rocky gravel chewed right through my ardent over 3 shorter rides.

My brother's bike has a specialized Hillbilly 2.6 grid front, and slaughter grid 2.3 rear, and he's really loving the hillbilly in the dust, although it is a bit slower than the DHR it replaced.
    Personally i don't think you need a 2.5 around here, 2.3 is plenty of tire and why not save some rotating weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sosburn View Post
    Personally i don't think you need a 2.5 around here, 2.3 is plenty of tire and why not save some rotating weight?
    But a 2.5 Maxxis is only like 2.35 under normal operating conditions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    But a 2.5 Maxxis is only like 2.35 under normal operating conditions.
    their 2.5 weighs as much as any other 2.5 and is only 2.3, so might as well just go 2.3 and save like 100 grams!
    my 2.3s are actually 2.3, and my rims aren't as wide as OPs, so he'd probably be good

mtbr member
    My favorite all around tire to date is Nobby Nic (2.6"). They are light, have a big fat, sticky tread and hold the trail year round. They are a premium tire, but worth it IMO.

I have light rims on my 29" bike, but the current wheel set -with carbon rims and 2.6" Nobby Nics weighs less than what's on my old 26" bike.

2.6" is da bomb for Marin (and anywhere else I ride). I have pounded them in rocky terrain and never had a flat or tear. I have heard of side wall issues form others, but no probs for me.

IMO the ONLY downside might be price, but you DO get what you pay fore.
    I like to bike.

mtbr member
    Man - you all run beefy tires. I live on Tam and ride Tam/CC.Tamo/Fairfax hills a ton. I am running the 2.3 Aspen on the rear and a 2.4 Ardent on the front on a 25 mm internal.

I swap the Ardent to something faster rolling at times too. I think 2
    Ardents a great combo and maybe an Ardent race on rear and Ardent 2.4 on front.

There is stuff on Tam that can use more but its like 3 trails and most folks aren't riding them often.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

AKD
    Temporarily flatlanded
    Not much grips in the Headlands. NPS has done a bang-up job of "trail" maintenance of late, adding moondust sections after fast downhill sections, and making Bobcat 3x as wide while somehow not solving the sight line problems near the Eucalyptus grove. Go fast, take chances, look out for erosion canals on Coyote Ridge.

I run DHF front and rear on my big (160mm) bike. I've ridden that thing up and down Mills/Elwell, and would have appreciated something a little faster on the uphill. But if it's grip you're looking for, hard to beat that combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    Man - you all run beefy tires. I live on Tam and ride Tam/CC.Tamo/Fairfax hills a ton. I am running the 2.3 Aspen on the rear and a 2.4 Ardent on the front on a 25 mm internal.

I swap the Ardent to something faster rolling at times too. I think 2
    Ardents a great combo and maybe an Ardent race on rear and Ardent 2.4 on front.

There is stuff on Tam that can use more but its like 3 trails and most folks aren't riding them often.
    I agree with this. There is so much steep climbing around here, having huge heavy tires just makes the whole experience not as much fun. Time wise how much of the ride do you spend climbing?

That being said, you can get away with lighter, narrower tires on a 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etuck View Post
    There's definitely more than three trails in the area that would warrant (or at least benefit from) bigger tires but not the best place for discussion or debate . Also everyone has different riding styles and opinions on what they're looking for in tires, why there's tons of different choices out there.

Should have prefaced with my bias that A. I gear my bike to be a versatile as possible so that means being able to do a quick after work tamarancho loop to weekends in Lakes Basin or Tahoe to the (typically rare) bike park run that may crop up from time to time; And B. Still hanging on the the last cusps of my previous roadie fitness so don't mind pushing heavier tires on a FS trail bike, especially if it means I have to worry less about crashing or flats - used to never worry about the later but in the last couple years somehow I went from someone who had never flatted to putting holes in tires and denting rims... apparently I started riding like a hack I guess (also Dynaplugs are my friend now).

The OP seemed to be more concerned with grip and seemed to be on the more trail end of the spectrum so erred on that side (though don't experiment as much with XC tires). I have and still do ride 35-42c CX tires on a rigid drop bar bike all over Marin so can make do with whatever but definitely adds a bit of spice knowing just a hair too much brake and you could end up with some pretty good raspberries (or worse)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evo233 View Post
    a hair too much brake and you could end up with some pretty good raspberries (or worse)
    Like this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Forkaster front and Aggressor rear for me is my current setup on the same trails. Working well

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    I use Maxxis in winter, but 8 months a year I use Vittoria Goma 29 x 2.4 TNT front (65mm wide on 35rims), Vittoria Morsa 29 x 2.3 TNT rear(63mm wide).

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    I have to put in a vote for Bontrager XR4 TI 29x2.4 tires.
    Measure out to an honest 2.4 on 30mm id rims.
    Weigh just over 800g. Checked on a Park scale
    Large round casing that has held air and required a minimum amount of Stan's
    Medium sized knobs in a pattern that has great traction at intermediate lean angles.
    Rolling speed is as good as anything short of aracing tire.
    Just purchased on eBay for $55pair shipped!

They do not have the ultimate lean angle grip that the DHF has, but the (much more used) intermediate grip is VERY good.
    I have always been partial to large round tires tires with good grip and predictable drift at the limits of traction, and the new Bontrager tire really does the job.

And they were super inexpenxsive

jrm
    mtbr member
    2nd the NNs. mess with the pressure and there pretty responsive on different surfaces.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I use Maxxis in winter, but 8 months a year I use Vittoria Goma 29 x 2.4 TNT front (65mm wide on 35rims), Vittoria Morsa 29 x 2.3 TNT rear(63mm wide).
    I'm very curious about these tires. They seem to be gaining a lot of *cough* traction. Also looking at the Martello front. However they sure do look heavy for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I live and ride in Marin. I mainly ride the areas around Tamo, trails off of Terra Linda ridge, and BCC. I personally don't like changing tires for different areas I ride. If I go to the Downieville, the Sierras, Moab or stay local, I'm not planning on putting a different tire on. On my Mojo 3 I've settled on DHF on the front and Aggressor on the back, both in 2.5. I was running DHFs on the back for a season but I had a few knob tear off in Downieville. I've only been on the Aggressor since the spring and I've really enjoyed them. I feel that the hold the corners better than the DHFs did. Mounting the things were a pain and I had to get a steal core tire lever to do it. Prior to using these Maxxis tires I was running Bontragers XR4 and XR3. Cost and perfromance wise, I think the Maxxis tires have been superior.

On another note, Nobby Nics came with the Mojo 3 and I had sidewall tears in both tires within 2 months of owning the bike.

mtbr member
    I live in East Bay but ride Marin area all the time, and experiment with different tire combos like its my job. The DHF is the best front tire I've ridden, but DHRII is too sluggish and overkill for the rear. The 2.5 Aggressor is good for the rear, but the 2.3 WTB Breakout is better in every way (and its huge casing is basically the same size as the 2.5 aggressor). Its faster rolling, better in the corners, and braking seems about even to me. I'm really curious about the new Nevegal 2, reading nothing but good things about that Hellkat/Nevegal 2 combo. Anyone, try those new Kendas yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HrznRider View Post
    DHF front with practically any Maxxis tire in the rear depending on your traction needs/rolling resistance preference.
    +1
    DHF 2.3 front, Forekaster 2.3 in back
    getting prepped to buy a DHF 2.5 for the front, then swap the 2.3 to the back
    The Forekaster on back is light and fast and pretty great!
    I had NNs and slid out in front too often.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBored View Post
    +1
    DHF 2.3 front, Forekaster 2.3 in back
    getting prepped to buy a DHF 2.5 for the front, then swap the 2.3 to the back
    The Forekaster on back is light and fast and pretty great!
    I had NNs and slid out in front too often.
    I'm hearing good thins about Forekaster as well. I'm happy with DHF/Aggressor, but will test the Forekaster when I run down the Aggressor. Seems like Forekaster will be a better wet/winter tire and better on kitty litter gravel fireroads as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    you can ride 99%+ of Marin County on 2.2's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You could ride it with 2.2s but you could ride it faster with 2.4 or 2.5.

Freezer
    What's more important to you, climbing or descending? I live and ride in Marin, and if I want to feel like King Kong on long climbs like Eldridge, I throw on a Rocket Ron rear, Nobby Nic front for a total tire weight under 1300 grams. Crush the climb, but descend very defensively because the cornering traction is pretty minimal.

At the other end of the spectrum, if I want cornering traction, the HDF/Aggressor combo is outstanding for everything around here from gravel to chunk to Tamo's flow trail. That combo, however, in 2.3 is close to 1900 grams. So while the Aggressor is pretty fast rolling, the combo is literally 1.3 lb. more rotating mass than the Schwalbe combo, and it's shockingly noticeable on climbs.

mtbr member
    I ended up going with the Agressor/DHF combo. Both in 2.5WT. With wide rims the 2.5s actually look lower profile than the standard 2.4s I swapped out. for me descending is more important. Given that I can non-stop China Camp from the Dominican side up thru Q1 I feel like I'm fit enough to handle the weight.

Thanks for all the replies!

mtbr member
    Agreed on all fronts, but I still think most Marin riders would enjoy themselves more on lighter bikes and tires. But that might just be my nerdy road side coming out .

Great content on this thread. I'm about to swap tires for D-ville Classic and may try one of these combos.
    Previously known as mttamrnr.

mtbr member
    I was going to say something like an exo ikon out back, and whatever you're comfortable with up front (I like a hans dampf). I would hate to lug around a DHF/DHR/HRII in norcal. I tried for one ride and its way overkill. Im on an ardent 2.25 out back now, and its working great.

Maybe Im missing a ton of nasty trails or something, but most of the bay is pretty smooth.

mtbr member
    I just bought a 2018 (new tread pattern and compound) 2.35 Hans Dampf in Addix Soft for the front wheel a 2.35 Nobby Nic Addix Speed for the rear wheel on my Tallboy. I was very close to trying out the new WTB 2.5 Vigilante and 2.4 Trail Boss, but there's about a 400g difference between those two combos. Time will tell, but hopefully these new compounds from Schwalbe will hold up better than the old ones. The new HD nob spacing looks really good for leaning the bike over in corners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm currently on all Maxxis for my 2 rigs. After spending a fair amount of time with a DHR2 up front, I would just add that it's better to just go DHF in the front. I know there was some fanfare awhile back about how well the DHR2 works in the front. DHR2 will slip out in in the middle dead spots more so than a DHF. DHF is just all around "gravy."

So bottom line... go DHF front and run an Aggressor, IKON 2.35, Ardent or DHR2 in the rear depending on your traction needs and preference.

I'm really diggin it!
    DHF front Aggressor rear. Been trying 2.6 front and 2.5 rear. Rather than 2.5 front 2.35 rear.

Nothing but rad so far.

Probably switch back to 2.5/2.35 for the winter.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Hey Davey, NORCAL thread. This is private man. Saw you did Raging River, did you get in some Physical Therapy?

I'm really diggin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Hey Davey, NORCAL thread. This is private man. Saw you did Raging River, did you get in some Physical Therapy?
    Yeah got some PT in. So similar to the outlaw Mill Valley stuff. I lost traction in the corners as its been super dry out here. Hence my switch to the 2.6 DHF