mtbr member

Best hand pump for NorCal?

After descending down 3rd divide and finding that my camelback zipper was open at the worse possible time, my cheapo hand pump came up MIA. Iím in the market for new one. Hit me with your suggestions and advice for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmxsteve View Post
    After descending down 3rd divide and finding that my camelback zipper was open at the worse possible time, my cheapo hand pump came up MIA. Iím in the market for new one. Hit me with your suggestions and advise for a replacement.

This is the one I like.

https://www.crankbrothers.com/produc...c-hv-gauge-co2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I looked at this one online. Howís the volume for filling big wide 29Ē tires?

Moderator Moderator
    I looked at this one online. Howís the volume for filling big wide 29Ē tires?

I've only used it once, I usually use C02. I like it because it has a T-handle and hose, and is easier to pump without breaking off/damaging the presta valve.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have a Lezyne HV pump. It works well, but needs to be carried in a backpack or attached to the frame. I think I'd just use CO2 because it's easier to carry.

mtbr member
    I carry some random hand pump in my swat box. Knock on wood, Iíve never once used it on my bike. But other riders use it often. Same with my multitool, other people seem to use it way more frequent than myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I use a Lezyne Pressure Drive. It's perfect for NorCal, but once I cross the border into NV it's pretty ****ed up. Still trying to figure out which NorNV pump to buy.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

fading away
    Depending on where you live in Nor Cal, this hand pump might work better for you than in other areas of the state:
    Best hand pump for NorCal?-s-l1600_38.jpg
    Your mileage may vary however.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    I carry some random hand pump in my swat box. Knock on wood, Iíve never once used it on my bike. But other riders use it often. Same with my multitool, other people seem to use it way more frequent than myself.
    That's your recommendation to dsmxsteve?
    IPA will save America

fc
    After descending down 3rd divide and finding that my camelback zipper was open at the worse possible time, my cheapo hand pump came up MIA. Iím in the market for new one. Hit me with your suggestions and advice for a replacement.

So here is the key question:

How many times did you use use your portable pump last year? And how big are your tires and around what pressure?

In general you want:
    - a portable that is proportional to the number of times you use it
    - want one that's anchored to the ground
    - avoid those valves that need to be threaded in a presta valve and often thread out your tubeless core

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Downieville gives you solid hand pump. Or arm pump, both good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Blackburn Airstick mini SL. Blackburn Airstik SL Mini Pump 2018 | Chain Reaction Cycles

For such a tiny, light weight pump this thing rips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post

How many times did you use use your portable pump last year? And how big are your tires and around what pressure?

In general you want:
    - want one that's anchored to the ground
    - avoid those valves that need to be threaded in a presta valve and often thread out your tubeless core

fc
    Great points. I didnít use it much last year, probably 4 times or less. However, when I did I hated it because it was a pain to use and was a workout due to its small volume displacement. I wasnít expecting much for a cheapo $8.00 pump. When I got a flat on Saturday I was carrying CO2 (2-200 grams I believe ). I burned one up trying to inflate my 29ĒX 2.4Ē that still leaked out because the hole was too big. I put an inner tube in and burned up my 2nd one but was still too low on pressure. I would guess it only got me to around 8-9 Psi. I usually ride around 23 Psi. or so. Luckily someone was willing to stop and let me borrow his pump that was a bit janky but worked better than the one I lost on the trail. One feature I really appreciate about the loaner pump was the fold out tee handle.

Moderator Moderator
    Great points. I didnít use it much last year, probably 4 times or less. However, when I did I hated it because it was a pain to use and was a workout due to its small volume displacement. I wasnít expecting much for a cheapo $8.00 pump. When I got a flat on Saturday I was carrying CO2 (2-200 grams I believe ). I burned one up trying to inflate my 29ĒX 2.4Ē that still leaked out because the hole was too big. I put an inner tube in and burned up my 2nd one but was still too low on pressure. I would guess it only got me to around 8-9 Psi. I usually ride around 23 Psi. or so. Luckily someone was willing to stop and let me borrow his pump that was a bit janky but worked better than the one I lost on the trail. One feature I really appreciate about the loaner pump was the fold out tee handle.

I think all the small hand pumps are going to be small volume. But a t-handle and flexible hose makes the pumping so much easier.

The problem with C02 is it's finite. I carry CO2 on all rides that I could easily hike out before dark, or know like the back of my hand. For long rides where hiking out would run into night or is remote, I carry the hand pump.

I've also been carrying this stuff on my frame. Haven't used it yet.
    https://gupindustries.com/

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I think all the small hand pumps are going to be small volume. But a t-handle and flexible hose makes the pumping so much easier.

The problem with C02 is it's finite. I carry CO2 on all rides that I could easily hike out before dark, or know like the back of my hand. For long rides where hiking out would run into night or is remote, I carry the hand pump.

I've also been carrying this stuff on my frame. Haven't used it yet.
    https://gupindustries.com/
    $15 each time you fix a flat?!? Jeebus.
    What's wrong with him??

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    $15 each time you fix a flat?!? Jeebus.
    Oh, it's just in case I need a Whip It! Seriously tho, if I don't have to take the tire off to plug a hole, put in a tube, and deal with all the sticky sealant running all over the place etc, it's worth $15 to me. I got it at SeaOtter, haven't used it yet, so we'll see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i have good luck with the predecessor of the serfas big stick. not amazing, but $16 and it works. though the new one with the 'auto valve' (presta vs shrader) gets some questionable reviews. (the old one has two valves and you just pick the one you want.)

any high-pressure low volume pump is a Bad Idea. had one of those once and it took 500 pumps to get a 26" tube up to something like 18 psi.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Topeak are solid. I have one.

I also have a syncros, the 1st version of which is crap, the presta side stopped working (can still use the shcrader with an adapter) and in the cold, you can't pull the pump head out because there's nothing to grip. The 2nd version I've seen lately seems to have solved the 2nd issue. It's nice and compact and seems to be high quality...but when you compare to something like a Topeak that just works and works and works, you wonder. For winter fatbiking, where I need stuff to work miles away from civilization well below zero, I use topeak.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have two Topeak pumps for different situations. Camelbak gets a Mini Morph. If I dont want anything on my back I use a Topeak RaceRocket, that I just put in pocket.

Both pumps are just OK for volume, you will surely have to work to get that tire pumped back up from nothing but in reality how often are you doing that vs lugging them around? I would rather have something more compact than having to work at pumping a tire when I get the rare flat.

fc
    Here we go, the pump bin. I usually just grab the smallest. But Iíll make a video later about the merits of these.
    IPA will save America

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Depending on where you live in Nor Cal, this hand pump might work better for you than in other areas of the state:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600_38.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	1219884
    Your mileage may vary however.
    Doesn't that suck the air out of the tube?
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

fc
    My circle has spoken and the best is a hand pump that converts into a floor pump. The reason is you can work against the ground instead of your other hand. Also you can put your back and weight on to the pump.

Topeak Morph is the best line. Tons of options. One unfortunate thing though is they all go to 160 psi meaning they're low volume, high pressure pumps. they should go to 40 psi and be optimized for mtb.

Best hand pump for NorCal?-screen-shot-2018-10-09-9.57.48-am.jpg

I like Crank Brothers pumps too. Very well made!!! And they have a switch system that converts them into High Pressure or High Volume modes.
    IPA will save America

I'm usually hungry.
    I don't want to hijack the post, but does anyone have any experience with this?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cle-or-any-tir

Looks like they're from Sausalito.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by the_kman View Post
    I don't want to hijack the post, but does anyone have any experience with this?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cle-or-any-tir

Looks like they're from Sausalito.
    I tried it and wrote an article here:

Stompump first look - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com

Very well made product!! Expensive and a bit difficult to transport for some. But mine should be here this week so I will try it and report back.
    IPA will save America

I'm usually hungry.
    I tried it and wrote an article here:

Stompump first look - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com

Very well made product!! Expensive and a bit difficult to transport for some. But mine should be here this week so I will try it and report back.
    Nice! Yeah, I will be interested to hear what you think of it after months of use. Thanks!

Not helpful.
    My circle has spoken and the best is a hand pump that converts into a floor pump. The reason is you can work against the ground instead of your other hand. Also you can put your back and weight on to the pump.

Topeak Morph is the best line. Tons of options. One unfortunate thing though is they all go to 160 psi meaning they're low volume, high pressure pumps. they should go to 40 psi and be optimized for mtb.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 9.57.48 AM.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	1219962

I like Crank Brothers pumps too. Very well made!!! And they have a switch system that converts them into High Pressure or High Volume modes.
    I have two of the Topeak Mountain Morphs, same age. Got 'em on sale. Two complaints I have are: You have to have the valve near the ground, as the hose is very short. This can be awkward sometimes, and you may lose some of your tubeless fluid out of the valve. Also, the handle wobbles as you pump, again, making pumping awkward. If the handle were to unfold in a 'T' instead of an 'L', it would be easier to use, I think. Otherwise, half your effort is spent fighting the wobbles because you can't use both hands on the handle.

Other than those quibbles, it's a well-made pump and it's got a lot of volume.
    What's wrong with him??

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I have two of the Topeak Mountain Morphs, same age. Got 'em on sale. Two complaints I have are: You have to have the valve near the ground, as the hose is very short. This can be awkward sometimes, and you may lose some of your tubeless fluid out of the valve. Also, the handle wobbles as you pump, again, making pumping awkward. If the handle were to unfold in a 'T' instead of an 'L', it would be easier to use, I think. Otherwise, half your effort is spent fighting the wobbles because you can't use both hands on the handle.

Other than those quibbles, it's a well-made pump and it's got a lot of volume.
    very, very good insight.
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    Lezyne Pressure Drive...

"A lightweight hand pump for high pressure tires, with an integrated valve core tool."

Always carried ,rarely used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

In general you want:

fc
    Exactly. I need my pump maybe a couple times a year, so I want the lightest, smallest one I can just leave strapped to the bike and forget about. When I *do* use it, I curse its slowness, but it's way faster than walking.

This little guys weighs about the same as a co2 cartridge:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N2M9XK

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Topeak Road Morph G is in camelbak. Hose long enough with foot pad & t-handle to easily use as "floor pump". Good volume for moto & bike tires.

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have this one. I have only used it once so far and it successfully put air in the tire so that makes it a winner in my book. Its also very small and light, by my standards at least.

My draw to this pump was that it uses both manual pump action and a Co2 cartridge. New tube - Co2, low, repaired tube - pump.

I have another on the way for my second bike.

LifeLine Hybrid CO2 Mini Pump - MTB | Chain Reaction Cycles

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    Exactly. I need my pump maybe a couple times a year, so I want the lightest, smallest one I can just leave strapped to the bike and forget about. When I *do* use it, I curse its slowness, but it's way faster than walking.

This little guys weighs about the same as a co2 cartridge:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N2M9XK
    oh damn! The nana mini.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Lezyne Pressure Drive...

"A lightweight hand pump for high pressure tires, with an integrated valve core tool."

condom ad?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Doesn't that suck the air out of the tube?
    in a way...you could say that.

man, i would hate to see the advertisements that pop up now that someone "searched " that. hahah
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Lezyne Pressure Drive...

this + HV variant. Best hand pumps on the market, imo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fc

Amen!!!

TR

Hella Olde
    condom ad?
    Haha sad but true. Never used.

mtbr member
    That's your recommendation to dsmxsteve?
    Just offering my experience. I havenít used a hand pump in over a year, so Iím not going to spend top dollar on the best one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I may try out the Oneup one, that bolts under the waterbottle cage as well as fits their multi tool setup. It may not be the lightest but I ride packless and prefer a set it and forget it setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've had a Lezyne Alloy Drive for years (5+) and it just keeps on working. Takes forever, but they all do. 29er, 2.6 tires, 30-32psi rear. Whatever though, a CO2 will just leave you at 15psi and go empty.

Also have an SKS Spaero Double Action - some parts are well thought out, but the handle tends to catch on the body when pumping - smooth action takes some practice and swearing. The t-handle is sweet though and a screw-on head is my preference (just need to make sure the valve core is in there tight), and the Spaero's is very well thought out. Openings are perpendicular to the hose, which helps for small wheels where clearance is limited (e.g. kid bikes). The hose storage is similarly excellent, taking seconds to deploy.

Confession: they work outside of GnarCal also.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    Another vote for the Alloy Drive. I only use it about twice a year--usually on somebody else's bike, but damn it's sexy.
    Last edited by dirtvert; 10-10-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

Cheeseburgler
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
    I may try out the Oneup one, that bolts under the waterbottle cage as well as fits their multi tool setup. It may not be the lightest but I ride packless and prefer a set it and forget it setup.
    I have the oneup tool and pump combo. I really like it. You can pretty much carry anything you would need for day riding in it.

Bipolar roller
    Agree. I bought a crank bros power pump well over a decade ago, have used it countless times and it is still going strong. Choose between presta or Schrader, it has a pressure gauge and like fc said, can convert from high volume or high pressure mode. I bought it in Chico, used it from Trinity to Tahoe and can verify it works well for Nor Cal

Best hand pump for NorCal?-54d40f1b-0570-4c02-bf83-bf44c8a368c6.jpg
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Just offering my experience. I havenít used a hand pump in over a year, so Iím not going to spend top dollar on the best one.
    I can see that. But given that DSMX is asking for pump advice and that you could care less about pumps, maybe there's better threads to chime in on?
    IPA will save America

fc
    For CO2 lovers, this is a good one. SKS Airboy for $30. It's a Co2 inflator and real pump in one.

Best hand pump for NorCal?-43648101_10156574522098213_9099786869763211264_o.jpg
    IPA will save America

fc
    Here you go. I wrote this piece.

Fascinating selection available today!!! And each brand has a whole family of different sizes of these models.

Best portable bike pump - Mountain Bike Review- Mtbr.com

I actually have the OneUp EDC pump. Schiiit, I want to get a flat now!
    IPA will save America

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Specialized BigBore pump. Easy carry, telescoping hose,huge volume. Max 50 psi