mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Belmont pump track - NEED SUPPORT AT MEETING WEDNESDAY 9/5/18!

*UPDATE 9/4/18
    The pump track is moving closer to approval! On Wednesday 9/5/18 at 7:00 p.m. at City Council Chambers, One Twin Pines Lane, Belmont, there is a Parks & Rec commission meeting. Sites for the pump track are on the agenda.

Here is the staff report on the pump track.

Even if you are not a resident of Belmont, please come to the meeting to speak in support of the pump track. NIMBY opposition is expected, so the more voices in favor of the pump track, the better!

*UPDATE 3/1/17*

The Parks & Rec Commission put the pump track on the official agenda for tonight's meeting, which is at 7:00 p.m. tonight, Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at City Council Chambers, One Twin Pines Lane, Belmont.

Here is a link to tonight's meeting agenda

Here is a link to the staff report on the pump track proposal.

The more people that show up and speak in favor of the pump track, the more likely it is to be built. If you can, please show up and say a few words in support of the pump track. You do not have to be a resident of Belmont to speak. It is a good idea to show up a bit early so you can fill out a slip to speak.

There is a Belmont Parks & Rec Commission meeting coming up this Wednesday at 7 p.m. at City Council Chambers, One Twin Pines Lane, Belmont.

During the community forum (public comments) at the beginning, residents can request items for the Commission to review. I will be asking the commission to consider building a pump track. I would urge like minded Belmont residents to attend and make their voice heard. Here is a a copy of a letter I wrote to the Commission:

Dear Parks and Rec Commission,

I am a Belmont resident. During the upcoming meeting I would like the Commission to study the idea of a bicycle pump track for Belmont. A pump track is a dirt or asphalt track with mounds. Riders move through a pump track by pumping their upper and lower bodies while going down mounds to maintain momentum. The object is for the rider to use his/her body weight to ‘pump’ through the terrain rather than pedal through, although it can be pedaled. Pump tracks enable people of all ages to get out and do bicycle riding in a safe environment away from motor vehicles, stay active, especially for getting kids out on their bikes. An example of one is here: https://velosolutions.com/en/pump-track/leavenworth/

Due to the configuration of it streets, Belmont is severely lacking in bicycle riding opportunities for youth. I live in the Cipriani / Belmont Country Club neighborhood have three children (5, 7, and 9), and there are no safe streets for my kids to ride bikes due to sharp curves, steep hills, and narrow roadways. I had to drive my kids to Abbott Middle School in San Mateo to teach them how to ride bikes. The BRSSD campuses do not permit community bicycle use on their properties when the schools are not in session.

Belmont’s open space trails in Waterdog lake park and San Juan Canyon open space are too difficult for kids to ride. The natural elevation changes in those trails are too challenging for young riders. Bottom line is there is simply no good place for kids to ride bikes in Belmont. Due to the influx of young families, Belmont’s bicycle riding youth population is exponentially expanding, and this growing user group lacks a safe place to ride.

Belmont’s recreational facility allocation is disproportionally skewed toward team sports, there are more than enough baseball diamonds and soccer fields in Belmont for team sports. However there are zero outdoor sporting amenities for youth who don’t play team sports or whose team sport is not in season. A pump track would be a good first step toward a more fair and equitable allocation of facilities to user groups other than team sport participants.

There are numerous benefits to having a pump track. Non-bike-riding parents can bring their child to a park and safely develop the child’s bicycle-riding skills in a controlled environment, without having to travel far or take them out on the trails themselves.

Pump tracks teach young riders off road bicycling fundamentals and increase their fitness, and teaches them the value of trail stewardship and maintenance. When the elementary school aged children utilizing the pump track grow to middle and high school age, it will provide them the base fitness and bike handling skills to ride the more challenging trails. Today’s youth pump track users will become tomorrow’s trail maintenance volunteers.

Municipal pump tracks are a proven concept, and there are several successful examples in Santa Cruz County:

New Scotts Valley pump track aims to showcase impact, community need

The Pump Track Solution - Good Times Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz, CA: Chanticleer Park Pump Track

Pump tracks are inexpensive to construct and only require a small parcel of land. An ideal location for the pump track would be in the San Juan Canyon open space trailhead at the end of Bartlett Way bordering the Laurelwood/Sugarloaf open space area. There is ample open and unused space close to the trailhead for the track. A small dirt parking lot (The size of the Waterdog lake parking lot at the end of Carlmont Drive or less) could be constructed at minimal cost. While this location might draw opposition from a small minority of residents at Bartlett Way, the benefits to the community would far outweigh those concerns. Because the area is heavily wooded, any incremental noise would be minimal. There are zero problems with the parking lot and trailhead access for Waterdog lake park at the end of Carlmont Drive, and this would be a very similar setup.

With the ground softened by this winter’s rain, the conditions for construction are ideal. The sooner the Commission can break ground on the project, the more water and money it will save.

A pump track will broaden the base of outdoor recreation users and provide more diverse outdoor recreation opportunities to community members of all ages. Once the success of this project is demonstrated, the parks commission should look into further broadening outdoor recreation opportunities, such as sand volleyball courts at Barrett Park and a concrete skateboard park at the Belmont Sports Complex. Providing facilities like these would cause Belmont to surpass all other mid-peninsula cities in terms of parks and recreation amenities. A pump track would be an easy and inexpensive first step to cement the legacy of this Commission as an innovative and forward thinking steward of Belmont’s resources.
    Last edited by zuuds; 09-04-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: update

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    San Juan Canyon open space are too difficult for kids to ride. The natural elevation changes in those trails are too challenging for young riders.
    I rode a 16" Schwinn Pixie from San Juan Blvd through the canyon up to Fox Elementary school often between '76-'79. I was 5 to 8 yrs old.

Pump track would be cool though.

mtbr member
    That location seems like a longshot, Belmont doesn't really have a big public park where it would make sense like Burton Park or Red Morton in Redwood City. And Zero Allocation in Belmont???? What's Water Dog, Carlmont? Try taking kids to shells

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    the shells would make a nice pump track...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwee View Post
    That location seems like a longshot, Belmont doesn't really have a big public park where it would make sense like Burton Park or Red Morton in Redwood City. And Zero Allocation in Belmont???? What's Water Dog, Carlmont? Try taking kids to shells
    A big public park is not needed to build a pump track, they can be built on smaller patches of land.

I was referring to bike riding opportunities for grade school age kids. Unless the child has extraordinary fitness and bike skills, most of Waterdog's trails are too difficult for smaller kids to ride.

Carlmont is neither owned nor sanctioned by the City of Belmont, and is black diamond terrain that requires a DH bike. Great for teens and young adults with the proper equipment, but not for small kids. I have never seen any 4th graders hucking cliffs on 20" wheel bikes there.

I've taken my kids to Shells, its fun, but it's 2 cities over, and consists of mostly big gap jumps with some discombobulated berms and rollers, it's not a real pump track, and there is no hope of it ever becoming one, because it's an unofficial / non-sanctioned spot and there is no organized building or maintenance. Check out the other thread on Shells, lately BMXers and motocrossers are turning even the beginner features into gap jumps.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dwee View Post
    Shells is not ideal. It's made of shells so when kids fall, they get cut up.

I would not discourage any effort to build a pump track or trail. They break the ice and prove to the city that bikes are nice. And they galvanize the bike community and parents for bigger projects later..
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've always thought the bottom field of Waterdog (at the end of Carlmont Dr) would be a great place for a small pump track.

I'll try to make the meeting and bring my kids to enjoy the civic process.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Please have Velo Solutions build an asphalt pump track. You can pretty much ride it all year round and they have it pretty dialed for flow.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitz1234 View Post
    I've always thought the bottom field of Waterdog (at the end of Carlmont Dr) would be a great place for a small pump track.

I'll try to make the meeting and bring my kids to enjoy the civic process.
    That bottom flat part would be an amazing venue indeed.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Please have Velo Solutions build an asphalt pump track. You can pretty much ride it all year round and they have it pretty dialed for flow.
    Also Invite skateboarders and scooters.

SOG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alunlang View Post
    Also Invite skateboarders and scooters.
    exactly win win

mtbr member

one step closer to reality

Tswiz1234, his boys, myself, and another community member appeared at the Commission meeting. We all added public comment in favor of a pump track, and it was very well received.

The commission members said the idea was intriguing and made favorable comments. None of the commission members voiced anything negative against the proposal. A pump track dovetails with one of the commission's goals to provide more outdoor recreational opportunities for the 11-14 year demographic. One of the commission members commented it would be an innovative way to set Belmont apart. Some of the older generation commission members, who I did not expect to be overly enthused about the concept, seemed very positive on it. The commission will put a pump track the agenda for next meeting and at that meeting to go into more depth. The commission members were engaged in the idea, and were asking questions about how much maintenance would be involved, and how much space would be needed, which shows they are interested in the idea.

After the meeting, we chatted with the Fire Battalion Chief, who also presented to the Commission on fire issues at the meeting. He lives in Capitola, and said there are tons of kids at the Capitola pump track all the time, and he thinks they are great. He will put in a good word for the cause.

One of the commissioners commented about reaching out to other cities who have done pump tracks to get their experiences. If anyone knows of people to contact who were involved in Santa Cruz, Captiola, Scotts Valley, etc. pump tracks, please PM me.

On a side note, during the meeting, both the Parks & Rec Director and several commission members acknowledged the MTB community, how it has been instrumental in volunteer trail maintenance and creation of the Lake Loop Trail. It was also noted that user group conflicts in Belmont's open space are essentially non-existent, which is good for continued access, so let's all continue to spread good PR out there!

fc
    Tswiz1234, his boys, myself, and another community member appeared at the Commission meeting. We all added public comment in favor of a pump track, and it was very well received.

The commission members said the idea was intriguing and made favorable comments. None of the commission members voiced anything negative against the proposal. A pump track dovetails with one of the commission's goals to provide more outdoor recreational opportunities for the 11-14 year demographic. One of the commission members commented it would be an innovative way to set Belmont apart. Some of the older generation commission members, who I did not expect to be overly enthused about the concept, seemed very positive on it. The commission will put a pump track the agenda for next meeting and at that meeting to go into more depth. The commission members were engaged in the idea, and were asking questions about how much maintenance would be involved, and how much space would be needed, which shows they are interested in the idea.

After the meeting, we chatted with the Fire Battalion Chief, who also presented to the Commission on fire issues at the meeting. He lives in Capitola, and said there are tons of kids at the Capitola pump track all the time, and he thinks they are great. He will put in a good word for the cause.

One of the commissioners commented about reaching out to other cities who have done pump tracks to get their experiences. If anyone knows of people to contact who were involved in Santa Cruz, Captiola, Scotts Valley, etc. pump tracks, please PM me.

On a side note, during the meeting, both the Parks & Rec Director and several commission members acknowledged the MTB community, how it has been instrumental in volunteer trail maintenance and creation of the Lake Loop Trail. It was also noted that user group conflicts in Belmont's open space are essentially non-existent, which is good for continued access, so let's all continue to spread good PR out there!
    Bravo. Talk about a great first step!!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'll PM you as well. I help run MBoSC and we've been instrumental in the development of many pump tracks in Santa Cruz county...the most recent (and amazing) one being Harvey West. We'd be super stoked to share what we know and help you guys get this off the ground. And nice work 'showing up' and representing.

mtbr member
    Great news! Maybe get someone from the Calabazas BMX Park to provide some utilization stats that will help say "a pump track keeps kids off the streets and exercising in a community-positive healthy and safe atmosphere" etc etc. I searched around online and couldn't find anything related to stats, but here is the Mayor memo with some background that may be useful:

http://www3.sanjoseca.gov/clerk/Agen...1305_02.11.pdf

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Ended up not being able to make it over to the meeting yesterday, so yeah, I'm watching this thread. Thanks for the recap!
    Last edited by Obi; 12-08-2016 at 03:00 PM.

Hella Olde
    Yes - and we could hang with Claudio Caluori!!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Riderup, I got your PM, I will be in touch soon. It looks like the meeting minutes are not yet up on the city's website, but here is a link to video of the 12/7 meeting: Parks and Recreation Commission - Dec 7th, 2016

mtbr member
    The Parks & Rec Commission put the pump track on the official agenda for tonight's meeting, which is at 7:00 p.m. tonight, Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at City Council Chambers, One Twin Pines Lane, Belmont.

Here is a link to tonight's meeting agenda

Here is a link to the staff report on the pump track proposal

The more people that show up and speak in favor of the pump track, the more likely it is to be built. If you can, please show up and say a few words in support of the pump track. You do not have to be a resident of Belmont to speak. It is a good idea to show up a bit early so you can fill out a slip to speak.

mtbr member

For those attending the meeting

If you can't make it at 7:00, you can arrive at 7:30-7:45 and provide a speaker slip at that time. But if you can make it for the 7:00 start, it's a preferred and safer bet.

You are welcome and encouraged to bring your kids. Both you and your kid(s) can speak separately. The commission especially likes to hear from the kids, but it's great to hear from both parent and kid as individual speakers.

A large show of support will trigger the commission to recommend an ad hoc group to take the proposal seriously and work on feasibility, funding, and design.

mtbr member
    bump - see post #1, support for the pump track needed at the Parks & Rec commission meeting on 9/5/18.

mtbr member
    bump - see post #1, support for the pump track needed at the Parks & Rec commission meeting on 9/5/18.
    Glad to see this come up again. I'll try to be there tomorrow night, and will invite some other folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've attended these previously but can't tomorrow night. There's support from the commission but we should show up.

Link to the agenda and staff report is = http://belmont-ca.granicus.com/Gener...0-00505691de41

Seems like a little NIMBY traffic concerns for end of Hidden Canyon (probably the same for those of us who drive there, I'm sure).

mtbr member
    I spoke at the 12/16 meeting. I'll do my best to be there again tomorrow night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    Glad to see this come up again. I'll try to be there tomorrow night, and will invite some other folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by tswitz1234 View Post
    I've attended these previously but can't tomorrow night. There's support from the commission but we should show up.

Link to the agenda and staff report is = http://belmont-ca.granicus.com/Gener...0-00505691de41

Seems like a little NIMBY traffic concerns for end of Hidden Canyon (probably the same for those of us who drive there, I'm sure).
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi View Post
    I spoke at the 12/16 meeting. I'll do my best to be there again tomorrow night.
    Awesome -thanks for the support, and looking forward to seeing you!

mtbr member
    You are welcome and encouraged to bring your kids. Both you and your kid(s) can speak separately. The commission especially likes to hear from the kids, but it's great to hear from both parent and kid as individual speakers.
    My daughter won't be attending, so I think I will show her a video of kids riding a pump track and ask what she would think of having a track in Belmont. Then I can quote her to the commission. Maybe they will like to hear that.

mtbr member
    Awesome -thanks for the support, and looking forward to seeing you!
    Amazing turnout and passion. 20 people spoke. The meeting went into some serious OT. The commission gets the enthusiasm and will be looking for practical solutions.

Thanks again for the alert. I guess 24 hours was enough lol.

mtbr member
    Any update on whether or not this will be an agenda item for the 10/3 meeting? There is no agenda listed on the Parks and Rec website.

mtbr member
    The location they are looking at (end of Carlmont Dr.) is good. Decent enough area and flat. Also, on the backside where the dirt jumps are has some areas that could have a pump track that is out of the way.

mtbr member
    The area where the Carlmont jumps are located is private land. So that isn't an option, at least in terms of working with the city.

mtbr member
    Come on out Wednesday, December 5th at 7 PM to show all that passion and support again! "Pump track review" is the first Item of Business for the Parks and Rec. Commission meeting this time around. The 20 or so speakers in favor of the pump track last time really hit home with the commission, and having folks show up again to at least listen to the presentation can't hurt the momentum.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018
    7:00 PM
    City Council Chambers
    One Twin Pines Lane, Belmont, California

Agenda link