Bees/Wasps at Waterdog- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bees/Wasps at Waterdog

Just a heads up, I was riding at waterdog last night and rode right through a swarm of what I'm guessing were wasps. I got bit/stung 3 times (couldn't find any stingers). I was climbing up the John Brooks trail, and then veered left to go to the Chaparral trail. On that short section there is a low hanging branch you have to duck under. Right before that, I thought, "That's crazy, what are all these flies doing here? Must be a dead animal or something." Then a deer off to the side of the trail distracted me, and bang, stung on the knee, then in both arm pits, and at the same time I wasn't paying attention and whacked my head right in to the branch as I was trying to get my ass out of the swarm of bees.

I had ridden through there about a half hour prior, so my guess is I aggravated them, but was gone before I noticed them. But when I rolled back through a half hour later, they were pissed! Anyway, I'm sitting here at my desk not enjoying my day. My knee is all swollen and both armpits itch.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    Just a heads up, I was riding at waterdog last night and rode right through a swarm of what I'm guessing were wasps. I got bit/stung 3 times (couldn't find any stingers). I was climbing up the John Brooks trail, and then veered left to go to the Chaparral trail. On that short section there is a low hanging branch you have to duck under. Right before that, I thought, "That's crazy, what are all these flies doing here? Must be a dead animal or something." Then a deer off to the side of the trail distracted me, and bang, stung on the knee, then in both arm pits, and at the same time I wasn't paying attention and whacked my head right in to the branch as I was trying to get my ass out of the swarm of bees.

I had ridden through there about a half hour prior, so my guess is I aggravated them, but was gone before I noticed them. But when I rolled back through a half hour later, they were pissed! Anyway, I'm sitting here at my desk not enjoying my day. My knee is all swollen and both armpits itch.
    Could have been yellowjackets which live in hives they dig into the ground.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Probably, they were all pretty close to the ground. It was really dark though, and I didn't feel like sticking around to find out. I guess I'm lucky that the only places they stung me were through my clothes. Although, not sure my clothes helped all that much.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    i've got a bizillion of these in my yard....you're more than welcome to stop by a collect as many as ya like:

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member

Chum is not nice!

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    i've got a bizillion of these in my yard....you're more than welcome to stop by a collect as many as ya like:

Mt Lions, Bob Cats, Coyotes, Rattle Snakes, deer that will nock you of your bike, now Attacking Bees -- MTB riding is just unsafe.. But now this pic..yuk

Chum great shot --- but I hate spiders... I am often one of the first in the wee hours to cross some of the trails. Webs everywhere often hitting me in the face -- that shot now gives me the willies!!

I won't sleep well now, thinking about tomorrow, out at 5am -- more webs in the face.. the rabbits aren't bad till about 6:30am -- gota watch those rabbits, they squeal when you run them over..
    Jt

Here are a few Video Trail Guides I shot - just for fun:
    http://destinationproductions.com/cu...PassionTrails/

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Nice one Chum! Sorry to add too your fidgeting JT...Western Orb Weaver (aka: Bishop Spider..cross mark on the back), great for fly, bee, and wasp control! Here's a wee-little one from last week..

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by maleonardphi
    ...and bang, stung on the knee, then in both arm pits...
    Two things. Deodorant and stop wearing tank tops.

Thanks for the report though. My son got stung two weeks ago and I got his last week. Beetches!

fc

Slowest Rider

Wasps at Saratoga Gap too

A group of us were at Saratoga Gap near Grizzly Flat a couple weeks ago.

One guy put his foot down on the side of the trail and stirred up a wasp's nest. He had long sleeves, jacket and other protection. In spite of that, the wasps were under his shirt and sleeves in seconds. You could see the little bumps under his clothes going around stinging him maybe 20 times by the time he got them out. He is allergic too, but only mildly and he had medicine back at the car. It became the end of our ride though. Another guy got stung on top of his head and I had to dig a wasp out of his hair.

In NJ, I there were zillions of spiders and webs, and I was the only biker who ever rode the wilderness trails. So I got hit with thick webs spread across the trail, occupied with big live spiders, many times per ride. I finally tied a 6' long thin stick to my handle bars in a way that stuck out front and wiggle. Thus the beginning of my Bar End fetish.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Proud lame eBiker
    Must beb the time of year.

Was out riding the moto yesterday and one of them buggers flew up my sleeve and bit my elbow just as I was twenty feet from the face of a rather large third gear double. NOT good timing!

Then this morning on the shop roadie ride I had one smack my forehead. The dang thing muyst have been flying backwards with his sticker out cause it hit me and bounced off, but still somehow stung me. Bastards!!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    Must beb the time of year..
    Yep. The last bit of rain, good rain is past us, all the spiders are in hatch season and all the ants are scrounging for food and moisture.

A cheap trick for the house is to pour salt in the cupboards around the edges, do the same with any room there's a problem at.

Ants and some spiders hate salt and won't cross it and will stay away. The same with the clear silicone sealant for sinks, use the stuff that smells like vinegar.

I like mtn biking, too
    Aw man that sucks! I had a couple stings on one of the leaf trails in Skeggs once. I was JRA, and a wasp somehow got wedged between my backpack & my back. I just felt a prick and was like "What the...?" and then I felt another one, so finally realized what was happening and stopped the bike to get it out. (I think Skyline 35 was the one who helped me brush it off ) Kinda annoying that wasps can sting multiple times without losing their stinger.
    Half the planet is deep into bloody tribal mayhem. We’re just riding bikes (and drinking beer) here.
    ~Fairfaxian

mtbr member
    I got two stings (on two separate days) from wasps at China camp. Both nailed me under my helmet! The first got me in the back of the head, the other came in through a forward vent and got me on the forehead. I also got a spider bite on my neck a couple weeks ago, I'm assuming because I swept up its web while blasting down the trail in the early morning. My bike, helmet, and camelbak are often covered with webs when I get back from my morning rides.

mtbr member
    Dude. Dudes. I got stung in my f-n face. That's TWICE this summer. Each time, call me out for a whole week. I've been coked up on Benadryl to reduce the swelling and ice packed the first two days when my face was swollen DOUBLE in size. Got a huge double chin from the venom exploding or bursting my lip past maximum capacity. Blood everywhere. I love bees and honey, but "f-n bees" when you run into them at full speed on the bike trail!!!
    Creator Producer: Will of the Sun WoS, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 1M+ MTBR thread

mtbr member
    yeoutch! I got stung on Chapparal last week also, just below the armpit. Only one sting though, and no swarm (I didn't even see the bee, just felt the sting). it was on a different part of Chap though, closer to Ohlone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi

A cheap trick for the house is to pour salt in the cupboards around the edges, do the same with any room there's a problem at.

Ants and some spiders hate salt and won't cross it and will stay away. The same with the clear silicone sealant for sinks, use the stuff that smells like vinegar.
    No, no.....you have it all wrong - you are thinking of lining doors and windows with salt to keep out ghosts!!!
    "Originally Posted by iheartbicycles
    We should all kick each others asses to protect the environment.."

Members who have read this thread: 0