Beckwourth Peak Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Beckwourth Peak Trail

Phase 1 of the Mohawk Rim Trail, the Beckourth Peak Trail, has been approved. This trail is 19.75 miles in length starting in the City of Portola, going up around Beckwourth Peak with a leg over to the community of Nakoma. If you like riding in the Lost Sierra, this trail system is a doozy. Please go the the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship website to find out more and how you can help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    SO AWESOME!! Will this be moto or no moto?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
    SO AWESOME!! Will this be moto or no moto?
    Non-motorized, multi use. After numerous public meetings and comment period, overwhelmingly this was what people wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The new trail looks awesome, donations on the way.

Any idea if there are planned connections from Nakoma to Clio/Graeagle without jumping on A15 or coming back up through Portola to 70? The most recent plan I could find has a proposed trail ending all the way down on 89 near Calpine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Donated!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iank View Post
    The new trail looks awesome, donations on the way.

Any idea if there are planned connections from Nakoma to Clio/Graeagle without jumping on A15 or coming back up through Portola to 70? The most recent plan I could find has a proposed trail ending all the way down on 89 near Calpine.
    Phase 2 is from Carmen Saddle 9above Nakoma to Calpine Summit over to and connecting with the top of Mills Peak. There are planned loops/connectors from Calpine Summit down to White Sulphur Springs, Calpine Summit to Calpine, Bear Wallow half way down the current Mills Peak Trail and off the North side of Beckwourth Peak Trail to the east.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schril View Post
    Phase 2 is from Carmen Saddle 9above Nakoma to Calpine Summit over to and connecting with the top of Mills Peak. There are planned loops/connectors from Calpine Summit down to White Sulphur Springs, Calpine Summit to Calpine, Bear Wallow half way down the current Mills Peak Trail and off the North side of Beckwourth Peak Trail to the east.
    Very cool, White Sulphur Springs puts me back near my in-laws in Clio. Doing a full loop from Portola to Mills Peak and down seems like an epic day, but a bail-out halfway will be more practical.

Thanks for all you guys do.

BTW, is there a more up-to-date master plan than the one from 2015 here? https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbts/a...57650298766705

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by iank View Post
    Very cool, White Sulphur Springs puts me back near my in-laws in Clio. Doing a full loop from Portola to Mills Peak and down seems like an epic day, but a bail-out halfway will be more practical.

Thanks for all you guys do.

BTW, is there a more up-to-date master plan than the one from 2015 here? https://www.flickr.com/photos/sbts/a...57650298766705
    There is a revised map(s) on the SBTS website. FYI, once the trail is to White Sulfur Springs, there is not much vertical after the climb up from Portola. The trail follows Carmen Saddle out to Calpine Summit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I was playing around with the SBTS website and could not locate an updated plan of the area. Can you point me in right direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzaibikes1 View Post
    I was playing around with the SBTS website and could not locate an updated plan of the area. Can you point me in right direction.

Great question. All I can find is a map of Phase 1. I recommend emailing them.

I dig trails!
    Here is the web page detailing the Beckwourth Peak trail on the SBTS website.

https://sierratrails.org/beckwourth-...ation-project/

This image is rough but best shows the planned trail.

Exciting times!

P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beckwourth Peak Trail-beckwourth-peak-photo-elwell-1-croppedvb.jpg