mtbr member

Bear Valley Trails

Any know who put in these newish trails at Bear Valley? Found them last fall and they are short but fun. A good addition to the area. Thanks

Bear Valley Trails-11745741_1190516057641012_1206411788680187345_n.jpgBear Valley Trails-11698527_1190516107641007_770932839916611441_n.jpgBear Valley Trails-11754267_1190516077641010_472841704663383341_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Now you know!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Trail Gnome
    Uncle Stinky, you have the best user name ever.

Moderator Moderator
    I've always thought Bear Valley has the potential to become one of the premiere mountain bike spots in the world. The terrain there is unreal.

mtb'er
    Bear Valley area sux...

Bear Valley Trails-img_2432.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Bear Valley area sux...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2432.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	1193739
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    I always thought it would be a great venue for a Mountain Marmot Classic Festival. The area near the Slabs would be an excellent exhibit spot.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    a bit dated but still relevant- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOmF342Rv0U&t=121s

mtbr member
    For some reason previous post has invisible
    youtube link.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    If you explore the area, you will find many slabs & domes, and interesting "local" trails. ;-)

Bear Valley Trails-img_2094-xl.jpg

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You got my mouth watering. Can't wait! Bring on the warm days!

mtbr member
    Catfish, Pretty tall cliff, dont really know it from rockclimbing in the area. If I had to guess I would say the cliff downstream from Spicer Res. Or maybe one of cliff on the way into Spicer. Also looks like the top of Cal. Dome.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Even the "boring" 2.5 mile uphill is incredible!

mtbr member

Name:	img_2094-XL.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	1193772

Catfish, Pretty tall cliff, dont really know it from rockclimbing in the area. If I had to guess I would say the cliff downstream from Spicer Res. Or maybe one of cliff on the way into Spicer. Also looks like the top of Cal. Dome.
    That's Hidden Dome viewed from the top of Calaveras Dome. Such an awesome, remote climbing zone.

mtbr member
    my third guess. I have driven there a couple of times form Bear valley. I have climbed a bit across the river and Looked at hidden dome. the climbs there are out of my league.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Damn this is almost in my backyard. Gotta explore that area this summer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do any old timers know what the 1995 NORBA National route at Bear Valley was? I can imagine they probably ran them up that big boy climb Koala Access and then over to Elusive Trail but they had to do some other stuff in between, right?

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7013524/elusive-trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Name:	img_2094-XL.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	244.3 KB 
ID:	1193772

Quote Originally Posted by Shonbo View Post

That's Hidden Dome viewed from the top of Calaveras Dome. Such an awesome, remote climbing zone.
    We have a winner!

Fun network of legal ohv & local trails between BV & the domes.

Not to mention Hermit Valley, Deer Valley Trail, Slickrock Trail, Utica & Spicer areas.

Go explore! :-)

Catfish ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    Do any old timers know what the 1995 NORBA National route at Bear Valley was? I can imagine they probably ran them up that big boy climb Koala Access and then over to Elusive Trail but they had to do some other stuff in between, right?

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7013524/elusive-trail
    Up Koala then Elusive, Down the jeep trail, across to the village up the trial to the Lake then Koala- A couple of local races also used the same course. I think it was 3 laps for the nationals. We sat at the Indian grinding rocks that the trail went over. The trail has been reroute to go around the rock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Up Koala then Elusive, Down the jeep trail, across to the village up the trial to the Lake then Koala- A couple of local races also used the same course. I think it was 3 laps for the nationals. We sat at the Indian grinding rocks that the trail went over. The trail has been reroute to go around the rock.
    Thank you!

So from the top of Koala you take the ski area access road/trail over to Elusive, then after Elusive down the OHV jeep trail and then back to the village, correct? And when you say the lake you mean that little Bear Lake right at the north end of the village, correct? (Not Lake Alpine.)

It sounds like a super steep, classic course.

mtb'er
    1997 race... I couldn't tell you the route but a guy named Lance Armstrong raced it ;-)

Bear Valley Trails-bvrace.jpg

Bear Valley Trails-bvrace2.jpg

Bear Valley Trails-bear-valley-race.jpg

But BV is better served chunky, with a slab of granite (than race-ey)...

Bear Valley Trails-capture2.jpg

mtbr member
    I was in that race too. And yes the little trail up to the dam was used.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was in that race too. And yes the little trail up to the dam was used.
    Through the meadow? Then up to the dam?

mtbr member
    Starts by Lodge, They may have started in meadow I am not sure.

Not helpful.
    Damn, Lance, cut them bars!

I can't wait to ride up there again. Soon?
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtb'er
    Well how about that!

http://www.bearvalleytrails.org

Excellent :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    FYI,
    Bear Valley Trail Stewardship (BVTS) is having it's first event this Sunday at 9am. Info can be found on their website (see link above). Starts at 9am at the gas station. I'll be there for sure! Curious if others are planning to attend. Who's going?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what the status of the trails are up there? Heard there may be snow today/tonight? I'm headed that way this weekend and wondering if the Alpine Lake/ Ski area are rideable. Otherwise, I'll stick to Arnold...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Does anyone know what the status of the trails are up there? Heard there may be snow today/tonight? I'm headed that way this weekend and wondering if the Alpine Lake/ Ski area are rideable. Otherwise, I'll stick to Arnold...
    By the looks of the web cam at the ski area, it still looks pretty snowy but I've heard reports that trails below Bear valley, (AT&T lower tamarack, Wolfeboro) are good to go. I'm going up tonight and riding tomorrow so I'll post again if different.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Corral Hollow is pretty bad. Jeeps got in there, combined with drainage on the trail made it a challenge last weekend.

mtb'er
    I'd sure like to see Spicer to Wolfeboro re-opened from top to bottom. And I'd certainly show up to make it happen. It would be an incredible DH.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd sure like to see Spicer to Wolfeboro re-opened from top to bottom. And I'd certainly show up to make it happen. It would be an incredible DH.
    Yeah, I "rode" it a few years ago. Had to hike pretty much the entire lower half.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    Yeah, I "rode" it a few years ago. Had to hike pretty much the entire lower half.
    Yep. Seems like it would be a neat boy scouts project!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone have any info on snow up there? Heading up tomorrow and trying to decide if it's going to be MTB or road. I've never been on MTB but have been on Ebbett's and Pacific Grade many times on the skinny tires.

Thanks!

Not helpful.
    Uncle Stinky, pm me wouldja?
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnride View Post
    Anyone have any info on snow up there? Heading up tomorrow and trying to decide if it's going to be MTB or road. I've never been on MTB but have been on Ebbett's and Pacific Grade many times on the skinny tires.

Thanks!
    I haven't been there in a couple weeks but I'm sure most everything except the highest trails are dry. There's probably still snow in patches on upper rings and maybe Cape Horn. Also, there is a non-profit (mentioned in a post above) doing maintenance on the elephant rock trail down by Union Res. this weekend.
    If you do decide to MTB, just stop in at the gas station and ask about what trails have been cleared of windfall. They keep a log there that folks are supposed to record their trail work and will have the best info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We camped two nights at Lake Alpine and rode a bit there, plus part of the Arnold Rim Trail on Monday. Rode the back side of Lake Alpine, crossed Sliver Creek on the bridge and rode over to Slickrock which seems in pretty bad shape from 4wd’s since my last time there 15 years ago. Then along the Lake Alpine to BV trail (on the south side of the highway),past BV to the bottom of Corral and rode the AT&T trail. The connector trail was in decent shape, could use some drainage work but was totally rideable; AT&T was fun but could use some good cleanup. I only heard about the new trail group after our ride but have contacted them about helping out. The area is lovely, has huge potential and frankly the local area needs some visitors in summer ... I don’t think it could ever get too crowded. BTW, in addition to the XC races people mentioned, I remember watching a DH race at the ski area in around ‘96-97, plus I was one of a handful of people that attended the 1st BV Mountain Bike Festival in ‘94 or ‘95, when it snowed the night before and turnout was, uhh, slim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Headed up there this weekend with a couple buddies. Haven't really ridden up there. Any suggested trails for this weekend. Staying in Dorrington so BV or Arnold or somewhere in between.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    We camped two nights at Lake Alpine and rode a bit there, plus part of the Arnold Rim Trail on Monday. Rode the back side of Lake Alpine, crossed Sliver Creek on the bridge and rode over to Slickrock which seems in pretty bad shape from 4wd’s since my last time there 15 years ago. Then along the Lake Alpine to BV trail (on the south side of the highway),past BV to the bottom of Corral and rode the AT&T trail. The connector trail was in decent shape, could use some drainage work but was totally rideable; AT&T was fun but could use some good cleanup. I only heard about the new trail group after our ride but have contacted them about helping out. The area is lovely, has huge potential and frankly the local area needs some visitors in summer ... I don’t think it could ever get too crowded. BTW, in addition to the XC races people mentioned, I remember watching a DH race at the ski area in around ‘96-97, plus I was one of a handful of people that attended the 1st BV Mountain Bike Festival in ‘94 or ‘95, when it snowed the night before and turnout was, uhh, slim.
    Not that it matters, but I raced the 'CA State DH Championship' at BV in 1999 and to get SUPER META, here is a photo of the number plate from that race taken while I type this message! (see background). The Knobular folks recycled unused number plates from the Diesel UCI WC DH race at Squaw Valley a few weeks before. This was my second DH race and a cherished memory. I tore up my ACL in a horrific race-run crash while still getting 2nd place in Beginner and had to drive a stick back to SF - Ha! Middle age was fun - I kinda miss it. Marla Streb was so hot
    Bear Valley Trails-bv99.jpg

mtbr member
    1997 race... I couldn't tell you the route but a guy named Lance Armstrong raced it ;-)

Name:	bear valley race.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	1194079
    Those bars are so rad. They look like 400mm wide. Haha.

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    Those bars are so rad. They look like 400mm wide. Haha.
    If you ride the road above Lake Alpine it is narrow and watch out for cars. A drunk driver killed a motorcyclist yesterday

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    Headed up there this weekend with a couple buddies. Haven't really ridden up there. Any suggested trails for this weekend. Staying in Dorrington so BV or Arnold or somewhere in between.
    I'm heading up there tonight and staying until Monday. Busy on Saturday with the BVTS group activity. If you want to ride Sunday, I could show you some good stuff. Pm me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quick update: I rode a lot of Bear Valley over the last week lots of trail work has been done with more in progress. HUGE thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers with Bear Valley Trail Stewardship www.bearvalleytrails.org
    I rode the elephant rock trail out of the Union reservoir campground which was cleared a couple weeks ago and it was truly brown pow! Clean and very flowy! There is another work day scheduled for July 8 to clean up Cape Horn. Meet at the gas station at 9 if you're interested in helping out.

Not helpful.
    Quick update: I rode a lot of Bear Valley over the last week lots of trail work has been done with more in progress. HUGE thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers with Bear Valley Trail Stewardship BearValleyTrails
    I rode the elephant rock trail out of the Union reservoir campground which was cleared a couple weeks ago and it was truly brown pow! Clean and very flowy! There is another work day scheduled for July 8 to clean up Cape Horn. Meet at the gas station at 9 if you're interested in helping out.

Thank you for this info.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Not that it matters, but I raced the 'CA State DH Championship' at BV in 1999 and to get SUPER META, here is a photo of the number plate from that race taken while I type this message! (see background). The Knobular folks recycled unused number plates from the Diesel UCI WC DH race at Squaw Valley a few weeks before. This was my second DH race and a cherished memory. I tore up my ACL in a horrific race-run crash while still getting 2nd place in Beginner and had to drive a stick back to SF - Ha! Middle age was fun - I kinda miss it. Marla Streb was so hot

Name:	BV99.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	1204595
    Awesome post. Sounds like good times. Except for the driving bit.

I still have my MS poster on the wall of my dorm roo- err, house. She WAS hot (I'm sure she still is), and approachable as well. Many of the riders were back then (approachable, not hot, although Susan D. still has my heart). I couldn't tell you who is who nowadays. (Jeezus, I sound like DJ )

Bear Valley Trails-marla.jpg

Edit: Goddammit mtbr, I hope your new overlords fix this shit.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 06-27-2018 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Truck Fump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtb'er
    I rode the elephant rock trail out of the Union reservoir campground which was cleared a couple weeks ago and it was truly brown pow! Clean and very flowy!
    I am thrilled to hear this! I have pestered the USFS for years, asking if that trail has gotten any maintenance and I always get the same old answer: "Nope".

If the BV Trails crew decides to open the trail to Wolfsboro, I'm in! Will bring chainsaw, McCleod, etc. Please keep me/us informed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quick update: I rode a lot of Bear Valley over the last week lots of trail work has been done with more in progress. HUGE thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers with Bear Valley Trail Stewardship BearValleyTrails

Thanks for update & next work day info!

I am thrilled to hear this! I have pestered the USFS for years, asking if that trail has gotten any maintenance and I always get the same old answer: "Nope".

If the BV Trails crew decides to open the trail to Wolfsboro, I'm in! Will bring chainsaw, McCleod, etc. Please keep me/us informed!

They seem to maintain only fs roads now. :-(

Last Stanislaus ranger adding new trails up there rode ATVs in the '90s. He put in the atv trails east of Bear Trap. Forget his name. But they had already abandoned most of the old hiking trails by then. Look at the 1962 Stanislaus NF map (.PDF) to see what is hiding up there.

"Locals" adopted some of those hiking trails & do trail maintenance on their dirtbikes. Same in most every NF in America, if you look close enough. Some organized, most not. One or a few retired guys keeping their favorite local trails open.

Parts of Wolfsboro-Spicer have been maintained for years. :-) It would be COOL to see all of it open again.

Catfish ...

mtb'er
    The beauty of the old map is getting the USFS to allow re-opening trails that used to exist is apparently much easier than getting new trails built. That's kind of been the SBTS business model, which has worked out very nicely. Good to see some traction growing in the BV area. I'm camping on Utica late August, and might poke around the unmaintained part of Wolfsboro...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    rode the area last weekend. Upper Rings, Rings, Bee Gulch and around Lake Alpine. We liked Rings the most. Surprised that even the trails that looked to be primarily downhill still had climbing. And the fs road climb to Upper Rings and Bee Gulch is legit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel Mot View Post
    rode the area last weekend. ..... And the fs road climb to Upper Rings and Bee Gulch is legit!
    Did you clean that climb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Did you clean that climb?
    Please, while downing a growler of grizzly from snowshoe! yeh right, that climb is brutal.

mtbr member

A few years ago a forest service crew and volunteers cleaned out the trail from the Summit lake side to Elephant Rock. They did a crappy job,left logs, did not cut back branches etc. So I went in a week later. Not sure if they worked on that section this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A few years ago a forest service crew and volunteers cleaned out the trail from the Summit lake side to Elephant Rock. They did a crappy job,left logs, did not cut back branches etc. So I went in a week later. Not sure if they worked on that section this year.
    Stinky, the BVTS group spent a day out there a few weeks ago and cleaned it up well. I rode it with Aaron and Bob last weekend and it was beautiful!
    Btw and FYI, I went down Lodgepole this morning with my daughter and cleared the brush and one downed tree. Paul cleared the lone windfall on AT&T this morning as well.
    There are a couple trees down on lower Tamarack. I'll get to them tomorrow.
    Otherwise, most of the popular (relative term) trails are in good shape!

mtbr member
    BVTS Trail Work Day - Sunday, July 8th - 9:00am

To work on the Cape Horn to Lake Alpine Trail

We will be working from both ends of the trail clearing branches, fixing drains smoothing tread and brushing where needed.

This is one of the areas BEST mountain bike and hiking trails, going between Cape Horn and Lake Alpine. Bring your friends and family out for a morning of hiking and trail work to help all of us get this trail back in shape for summer.

WHERE: We will meet at the Bear Valley Adventure Center at 9am to pick up our tools (provided) and car pool to the starting points. Our plan is to work from both ends of the trail (depending on the number of volunteers and crew leaders) and work towards the center. We should be finished no later than 1pm. There is no experience needed to work, but it could involve 2-3 miles of walking as we work the trail.

BRING: Just bring some sturdy closed shoes, long pants and long sleeves, and don't forget the water, snacks, gloves and hat. If you have a favorite tool, bring that as well (we will provide tools for those who have not). Friends and family are welcome. Come and join us for a morning of work and fun!

mtbr member
    Great stuff!
    I'm planning my next Utica camp, which will now include a baby and a bigger boat!
    Can I bolt my One-Up rack to the back of my Grumman canoe to carry my aluminum bike out to my private island?!?!?! I want to try these trails!

mtbr member
    Reclaim “Lost Trail” Work Day - Saturday, Oct. 13th

If you click on the trail map picture from the 2001 Spicer Meadow Quadrangle, it will show a small trail that is part of the Lake Alpine Bypass Trail (Lake Alpine Loop). After searching several times for remnants of that trail, it was finally located. We at BVTS are planning a restoration trail day for the simple reason that it would complete a loop allowing people to ride or hike completely around Lake Alpine WITHOUT setting foot on any paved roads. The complete "Lake Alpine Loop"! The pre-trail work has already been completed, such as logging and flagging.

We need lots of volunteers to help restore the tread.

Come out and join us, to help reclaim this “forgotten trail”. And...
    bring along your family and friends, to show them that "trails aren't born, they are designed and built by volunteers, like you and I"!

We will be having a morning of trail work (approx. 8:30am to 1pm), followed by a free Oktoberfest themed trail workers lunch and raffle prizes.

MEET at the Bear Valley Adventure Company at 8:30 am where we will have a quick tool safety briefing, then car pool to the sight.

BRING water, snacks, gloves and wear long pants, long sleeve shirts and don't forget a hat. Tools will be provided to all those who do not have their own.

THE PLAN is to Work from both ends of the trail with the two groups meeting at the center for the driving of the "golden spike" (aka: orange logging wedge). After a brief ceremony we will head back to BVTS Park, next to the Bear Valley Adventure Center to celebrate the end of a successful trail building season, with a big thanks to all the volunteers who helped make it so.

IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND
    Please fill out this simple RSVP form (so we can get a rough idea of how many we will feed at the Oktoberfest Lunch. Click HERE (see website)

mtbr member
    I will try to make it. Also some new logs were down on the Union-Rock- Summit lake trail and I got all but one out a couple of weeks ago. More may be down after last rain.

mtb'er
    Full time job available:

www.facebook.com/job_opening/742985959386008

Director of Operations at Bear Valley Cross Country & Adventure Company (full-time, year 'round, benefits). Previous outdoor recreation management experience required. Email resume' to paulnordic@sbcglobal.net
    BearValleyXC