Bear Valley ride yesterday- Mtbr.com
    Caca pasa

Bear Valley ride yesterday

Hooked up with Fred DaTrog & 0gre yesterday for a perfect ride in perfect weather around the Alpine Lake area. Fred took us bass-ackwards on some trails I'd only ridden the other way. Nice.

Lots of folks up there doing the shuttle runs from the store, and we saw a boatload of classic bikes getting ridden. Even saw a Rockshox Quadra on a Cannondale, with purple bar-ends & water bottle cage.

Anyhoo, on to the pics.

Fred sez: Let's go, time's a-wastin'!! We'll go, right after I make this call.

Checking out Alpine Lake. No mosquitoes, I couldn't believe it.

Dennis is a little out of shape- that's why he's grimacing on this perfectly level section of trail.

When I gotta go, I gotta go.

Didn't see many 9ers up there, just our three (I could be wayyy off about this). Too bad BB didn't join us to make it four. Long drive, I know, but you would have had a great time.

0gre went over well.

Lame-ass views.

There were a couple of rocks around the place.

This was kind of funny- we scouted around for about 10 minutes, looking for a way to cross this river. Here Dennis comes back after failing to cross. We finally found a barely defined trail that led. To. A. Bridge. D'oh!

Fred fromunda.

0gre- come on down!

Lord, give me a sign.

A moment of panic for Fred.

8 ree and 0 gre.

Too close for comfart.

Happy, Pappy?

Scoping it out.

Up close & personal.

Da daa!

fp
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    It was a great day.

FP, thanks for always rushing ahead to take pictures. I wish I could have returned the favor more often.

Here of a few:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bear Valley ride yesterday-bv-gary.jpg  

Bear Valley ride yesterday-bv-log.jpg  

Bear Valley ride yesterday-bv-top-ch.jpg  

Bear Valley ride yesterday-bv-ch-top-2.jpg  

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr dismember

Nice!

Nice
    When is Dennis going to get back to posting trail maps, mileages, etc. for these rides? Inquiring minds want to know...

It's the axle
    Yes! I love these shared rides. Nice photos. Even the bear whizz.

And I'm off for the morning ride.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

Trail Goddess
    FP, you missed a 29er.

The shuttle runs were a lot of fun. There were a couple people who had come up from the Bay Area to experience the trails and amazing views. Wish I had brought the camera. While riding the ski lift, I would have had plenty of opportunity to grab some pics. Hope they offer this again next year. I'll definitely be interested.

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

NedwannaB

Dang

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Hooked up with Fred DaTrog & 0gre yesterday for a perfect ride in perfect weather around the Alpine Lake area. Fred took us bass-ackwards on some trails I'd only ridden the other way. Nice.

Didn't see many 9ers up there, just our three (I could be wayyy off about this). Too bad BB didn't join us to make it four. Long drive, I know, but you would have had a great time.

fp
    Looked like a great day over there too! It appears f-d-t has a Sultan. Nice.

Did you finaly get the stem length/front tire hook-up issues dialed on your SSpecial Ed rig?
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Ripley V4 UpDowncountry rig

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Off the hook ride.

We pedaled up BV trail to silvertip then cut behind the lake and pedaled all the way up past Cape Horn then turned back, cut over to Alpine trail and finished off with Lower Rings. I was pretty toasted by the time we got to Alpine Trail but got a bit of a second wind so I could enjoy Rings and the Slabs.

Absolutely prefect day for riding, great companions.

That 'too close for comfort' shot I didn't see Gary until the last second, I think my pedal was 6" from his head when I rolled past.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Longer Ride Report on my blog.

I'm going to try and update it more frequently.

Dirt Deviant
    Looks like a blast!!!
    Did you guys get any stats of the ride?
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Looked like a great day over there too! It appears f-d-t has a Sultan. Nice.

Did you finaly get the stem length/front tire hook-up issues dialed on your SSpecial Ed rig?

I'm loving the Sultan.

We hardly saw FP all day until he sprung up out of gullys and popped out of bushes to take our pictures. I'd have to say he has that SS dialed in. Besides screaming up the climbs he was having alot of fun on the techy ups and downs.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Looks like a blast!!!
    Did you guys get any stats of the ride?
    Yeah, I gotta dig out the GPS. It was 18+ miles. Half up and half down. Maybe I'll get the GPS out and get some more details in a minute

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Like I need another reason to kick myself for not going up there Thursday evening.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Awesome!!!!

You boys look familiarrrrrr

fc

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    Like I need another reason to kick myself for not going up there Thursday evening.
    Just keep unnecessarily bumping threads and youíll be just fine. Donít hog up all the beer now!!!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    What beer?

@0gre..

Pics of the backside of the lake? I want to see how the whole cleanup project turned out. Between that and A.R.T. people have been pouring a lot of loving work into the systems up there.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi
    What beer?

@0gre..

Pics of the backside of the lake? I want to see how the whole cleanup project turned out. Between that and A.R.T. people have been pouring a lot of loving work into the systems up there.
    Backside of the lake? The only reroute I saw there was the creek crossing which was a bit of a mess, you have to hike-bike around to a bridge because the creek is a bit high.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like a great place to ride, I've got family up that way but have never ventured that far up, I'll have to change that. Great pics as usual Gary.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    After a bit of delay here's the Ride Stats

jrm
    mtbr member

Si will there be a next time?

id love to get up there

bicycle rider
    That looks like fun. Miss riding with you guys. Did Big Boulder - Third - First on Sunday. Happyness.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Fred, Sorry I missed you. We got a very late start and when my phone gets a message it does not save the phone number (at least that I can find). We rode Elephant Rock and part of Wolfboro on Sat. afternoon. Sunday rode a bit around Bear and did the Loki trail, one of my new favorites, not as good Rings but only minutes from the cabin door.

Is that bridge on the South Alpine Trail?, I have not ridden that trail yet this year. Glad you found the extension to Cape Horn, It's an old wagon road. Kind of tricky to find. You can extend it by going up to Mosqutio Lake. (legal)

Cheers Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky
    Fred, Sorry I missed you. We got a very late start and when my phone gets a message it does not save the phone number (at least that I can find). We rode Elephant Rock and part of Wolfboro on Sat. afternoon. Sunday rode a bit around Bear and did the Loki trail, one of my new favorites, not as good Rings but only minutes from the cabin door.

Is that bridge on the South Alpine Trail?, I have not ridden that trail yet this year. Glad you found the extension to Cape Horn, It's an old wagon road. Kind of tricky to find. You can extend it by going up to Mosqutio Lake. (legal)

Cheers Jeff.
    Jeff, sorry to have missed you too.

The bridge is on S. Alpine about 50 yards upstream from the old boulder crossing.

We found the Cape Horn extension thanks to Paul at BV Adventure.

I found and followed Cow Camp on Friday. Now, that baby was tricky to follow! I was camped where Bloods Creek crosses Spicer Rd or I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Hope to see you next time.

jrm, I'm sure we'll be up there again before the first snow. I'll ping you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog
    Jeff, sorry to have missed you too.

The bridge is on S. Alpine about 50 yards upstream from the old boulder crossing.

We found the Cape Horn extension thanks to Paul at BV Adventure.

I found and followed Cow Camp on Friday. Now, that baby was tricky to follow! I was camped where Bloods Creek crosses Spicer Rd or I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Hope to see you next time.

jrm, I'm sure we'll be up there again before the first snow. I'll ping you.

- I knew I should have dropped a line to 0gre & you Fred.... I was up there with the fam. & bike for the w/e and rode all over ART (fun stuff) and finished my exploring with a forest service spin up to Dorrington (not so fun) and out to the pool in Big Trees Village.

Was a GREAT w/e and ride! Look's like you guy's had a GREAT time too....gonna have to hook-up with you guy's before snow starts to fall.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fred-da-trog]

QUOTE]

I must have driven by your camp on the way to our ride on Sat. afternoon.

Did you ride both the upper and lower parts? A couple of years of years ago Paul and I worked on the upper part, and I put a bunch of work into the lower part 3 years ago but I would guess it is ridden less than 5 times a years maybe less. It is hard to follow and overgrown. Like you said not really worth it unless you are right there.

There are another couple of mile long trials /dirt roads worth riding in the area if you are there as out and backs. One is a perfect unkown ST good for families but only a mile long. These are not marked on the maps.

Let me know when you are going back up there again.

Cheers Jeff

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Rode a lot of these same trails with Impy but in the other direction. We skipped Cape Horn bug caught Emigrant Trail (which was a lot of fun). The creek level on the back of Alpine was way down so we crossed at the usual spot.

Members who have read this thread: 0