mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9

The weekend festivities will include guided MTB rides, shuttles to the high points of some of our best trails, bike demos and gear sales, food and beverages (beer by Snowshoe Brewery), camping, games, raffles with plenty of swag, BVTS T-Shirts available and live music at HermitFest.

Registration is $50 and includes*any or all of the following:*guided rides, trail map, Saturday lunch, Saturday BBQ dinner, beer and wine, shuttles to high trail points on Cape Horn and Rings trails on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, plus Poker Ride with prizes.

EVENTS - BearValleyTrails

Registration goes live today.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Not helpful.
    Wow! This is cool, thanks for posting.

Edit: if you read farther down, you'll see that plans are in the works to complete a section of trail that will allow you to ride completely around the lake on dirt. Wooo!
    What's wrong with him??

Moderator Moderator
    I might just head up for that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Wow! This is cool, thanks for posting.

Edit: if you read farther down, you'll see that plans are in the works to complete a section of trail that will allow you to ride completely around the lake on dirt. Wooo!
    Yes, BV trail Stewardship really took off this Summer. Miles of trails fixed up and many more planned. This event will be really fun since it's going to take advantage of the awesome music at Hermitfest.

Those who make it up, I'm sure will have a good time. Great riding, small crowds. Good music and free beer. What more do you need.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    I might just head up for that!
    Well, pick me up on the way!
    What's wrong with him??

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I might be in too. Always wanted to check out the trails in this area.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Interesting. Sister had a cabin at Arnold but just sold it. Wonder when I'll get to visit again.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'll be up there over Labor Day Weekend, is there a good 1.5 to 2 hour loop?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I'll be up there over Labor Day Weekend, is there a good 1.5 to 2 hour loop?
    There are a few. I'll be up there too. I could send you some recommendations or we could meet up. DM me your email or cell number if you want.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    The weekend festivities will include guided MTB rides, shuttles to the high points of some of our best trails, bike demos and gear sales, food and beverages (beer by Snowshoe Brewery), camping, games, raffles with plenty of swag, BVTS T-Shirts available and live music at HermitFest.
    EVENTS - BearValleyTrails

Sounds like a FUN event! Will pass this along to my riding buddies.

Thanks for posting!

Catfish ...

Hella Olde
    Cool - too bad its the same weekend as the Mad River Enduro. I haven't ridden BV since 1999! Will return....

mtbr member
    That Little section of trail has been "lost" for years. The orange section also needs to be found again. It's there but reclaimed by the forest.

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9-inkedreclaim-lake-alpine-bypass-18e01-east-end_li.jpg

Here are a couple of local trails- A strong rider had the bad luck of falling off the log and breaking his femur this summer.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1212177[/ATTAC

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    That Little section of trail has been "lost" for years. The orange section also needs to be found again. It's there but reclaimed by the forest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedReclaim Lake Alpine ByPass 18E01 East End_LI.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	1212177

Here are a couple of local trails- A strong rider had the bad luck of falling off the log and breaking his femur this summer.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1212177[/ATTAC
    Who is the rad biker who filmed that?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    A little more info for anyone considering, the weekend was chosen because it coincides with Hermitfest which is a little known accoustic music festival taking place in Hermit Valley between Bear Valley and Ebbetts Pass on Saturday from 11am to 7pm. I think the plan is to do some guided rides on Saturday morning and afternoon then go over to hermit valley for dinner, beer and music at the fest.
    Camping is available in hermit valley or at Lake Alpine and other places around Bear Valley or cabin/condo rentals in the village through Bear Valley vacation rentals.
    Info is available online (Google search) or just PM me if you have any questions. This being the first year for this event, it will be low key but there are lots of sponsors (swag) and folks are working really hard to make it a great experience for those who come.

Last edited by ladeekus; 08-21-2018 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Here's info for Hermitfest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    How extreme is the event going to be? The rider on the flyer looks like a bad#ss bro.

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9-bear-valley-festival.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    How extreme is the event going to be? The rider on the flyer looks like a bad#ss bro.

Name:	Bear Valley Festival.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	1213200
    I'll be guiding rides for this event and although I don't look like the bad@$$ bro in the flyer, I could (if enough riders want) guide a pretty epic ride on some relatively unknown trails. We were planning on guiding shorter, 2 hour rides but if enough want to, I could take you out for 30 to 40 miles to explore some primitive single-track and double track with amazing views.
    There will also be shuttles running for the bad@$$es that would rather maximize gravity fed ride time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Looks like my buddy and I will be showing up. Have been mtn biking around Arnold many times (ART, Calaveras Big Trees) and have been curious to know more about the area around Bear Valley. Looks like the perfect occasion to have someone lead us and show us some unfamiliar terrain.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    This looks like fun!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any details on where the camping is / what that situation is?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Camping options for Bear Valley FTF

Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Any details on where the camping is / what that situation is?
    There are lots of campgrounds around Lake Alpine just up hwy 4 from Bear Valley. Here is a link to the USFS webpage for lake alpine area. Lodgepole overflow is closest to BV Village and quite nice. Silvertip CG is also close to BV Village and has sites that are a bit more spread out from others. Marmot and Silver Valley on the east side of Lake Alpine are by the lake and popular. Also more tightly spaced sites. All USFS campgrounds are first come first served but given this event is after Labor Day, there should be plenty of availability.

HermitFest, where the Music Festival and some FTF activities are planned is about 20 minutes drive beyond Bear Valley on Highway 4 and has plenty of camping options. They are not improved campgrounds so no water/toilets there.

Your best bet is around Lake Alpine. Also, lots of great trails around the lake as well. ...and the fishing there is recently off the hook! People are regularly taking 14" to 20" trout.

I just emailed the organizers and requested they put up more festival info on the event page as well. I'll post here when more info is available.

In the meanwhile, feel free to ask any questions here and I'll try to answer as best I can.

mtbr member
    There is also dispersed camping all around. You just have to look for it. Bummed I can not make it up that weekend as I have to go down south. Air should be good up there by then.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bummed I can not make it up that weekend as I have to go down south. Air should be good up there by then.
    Bummer! You seen to be more busy now that you're retired!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    A couple of years ago, I had the good fortune to do three days worth of riding in that area. Arnold Rim trail, Lake Alpine and a road ride to Ebbets Pass and back with Paul from Bear Valley Adventures. I'm jonesing to return.

I wish wasn't tied up that weekend. Saturday, I'm providing SAG support for a charity ride and on Sunday my nephew is getting married.

Have fun all!
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Outside of camping where would you suggest lodging that isn't too expensive?
    I think there are cabins by Alpine but not sure how expensive they are.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    Outside of camping where would you suggest lodging that isn't too expensive?
    I think there are cabins by Alpine but not sure how expensive they are.

Thanks!
    Thanks for the question. Very soon, the event page will be updated with a set of FAQ's to hopefully answer many of the questions folks may have about the festival/ area/accommodations/services/etc.
    To answer your question: Lake Alpine also has small cabins and tent cabins for rent - Lake Alpine Resort
    There is also:
    Bear Valley Lodge and "glamping" tents
    Bear Valley Vacation Rentals cabins and condos for rent in the village.
    Tamarack Lodge about 3 miles west of BV village.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Campsite recommendation

For anyone going who is considering camping, The Silver Tip campground on Highway 4 has some really nice spaces that are reserveable through this site. Sites 14, 15 and 19 (currently available for Sept. 7-9) are pretty nice and have good space. Pets are allowed and they are close but not too close to the restroom. I would recommend. The campground is not by the lake so if you are looking for that, try the Marmot campground instead.

Cheesiest
    Looks like an awesome event! Too bad I have family in town at that time.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Is this an annual thing? Any photos from last year?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Is this an annual thing? Any photos from last year?
    This is the first. There used to be one in the 90's but then stopped. This is the first year of the new Bear Valley trails stewardship group and they are bringing it back as a way to introduce the area to those who haven't been, show off a few trails that have been brought back to life this Summer, raise a little $$ for future work and to have a party!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    There's a great article on Bear Valley and the folks who started the trails stewardship group in the September issue of Bike Magazine!

mtbr member
    How is the smoke up there right now? Is the near-by fire causing air quality issues? Headed to Lake Alpine this weekend.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I am in the Bay area right now but was up last weekend and air quality was fine. Wind was predominantly from the southwest and blowing smoke away from BV. My webcam at the cabin shows clear skies right now.

mtbr member
    Come and join us for ONE MORE DAY of trail work, to polish up a few sections of local trails before the FAT TIRE FESTIVAL the following weekend!

WHEN: Sunday, September 2nd

WHERE: We will meet at the Bear Valley Adventure Center at 8:30am to pick up our tools (provided) and car pool to the starting point. We should be finished around noon. There is no experience needed to work on these trails as a quick safety briefing will be provided.

BRING: Just bring some sturdy, closed shoes, long pants and long sleeves, and don't forget the water, snacks, gloves and hat. If you have a favorite tool, bring that as well (we will provide tools for those who have not). Friends and family are welcome. Come and join us for a morning of work and help support your local trails.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Registered. Looking forward to the event.

mtbr member
    On, the 28th the air was fine. Smoke was blowing south. The smoke situation changes day to day up there depending on wind. Trails could should use some rain though, as could the firefighters.

mtbr member
    Was going to put up some photos from yesterday but they keep coming out sideways.

mtbr member

Pics from 8-28

Got it. Not so bad air and perfect temps. Steeper than it looks, really.

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9-img_0246.jpg

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9-img_0249.jpg

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9-img_0251.jpg

Good rock climbing too.

Bear Valley mountain bike festival, Sept 8,9-dcp_0005.jpg

Not helpful.
    Got it. Not so bad air and perfect temps. Steeper than it looks, really.

Name:	IMG_0246.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	1214172
    Hey, I know that guy!
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    The will also be a fancy wine makers dinner at Lake Alpine Lodge on Sunday night, not connected with the Mountain bike festival. However the winery owner, Michael David winery, is a local and supports and rides mountain bikes in the area.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lake-al...ts-48861395750

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The will also be a fancy wine makers dinner at Lake Alpine Lodge on Sunday night, not connected with the Mountain bike festival. However the winery owner, Michael David winery, is a local and supports and rides mountain bikes in the area.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lake-al...ts-48861395750
    Michael David Winery is awesome and greatly support mountain biking even on an international level. They sponsored DIEGO CAVERZASI a bad a$$ rider and regular contender in slopestyle events. He placed third at Rotorua. See his run here. https://youtu.be/FAPLWOX0Qog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Are the pictures from this weekend / festival going to get added to the BVTS website?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I will contact the website guy and get that done. Thanks for the reminder.
    Did you have a good time? Any suggestions for improvement?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had a great time at the festival. The trail guides were good, The trails were good, and the beer and food was great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The festival was honestly great. It was a lot of fun. Guides were excellent food was good. The website was well put together and clear. Overall it was a great experience and I am looking forward to doing it next year.

I think a lot of people don't realize what's out there, having some of the pictures of from the event will really help people see how cool the trails are.

mtbr member
    copypasta from the email/newletter - 2018 highlights:

Thanks to all of you and Happy Holiday Season.

I want to thank all of you for making the Bear Valley Trail Stewardship’s first year such a success. The thing I am most thankful for is getting to know all of you so much better and for how working with you on the Bear Valley region’s trails has enhanced our community.

I think you should all be proud of what we have achieved this year. In our first year we:

Founded and received our 501c3 status

Launched our website

Signed up 96 active members on our email list

Got four members USFS chain saw certified

Put on six organized volunteer trail maintenance/building events

Logged out and performed repairs on approximately 33 miles of trails in the Bear Valley area

Resurrected the Bear Area Fat Tire Festival which netted over $2,000 to support the BVTS's trail programs

Recorded 420 volunteer hours during our trail events, plus 72 hours by people who check out tools and at least 100 hours of work by you all that just went out and did trail work on your own.

I also want to thank the following for their donations and support of our events.

Paul and Diane Peterson – Bear Valley Adventure Company
    Kurt Hoffler – Rossingnol
    Jeff Yarnell – Snowshoe Brewery
    Paul Gwin – Bear Valley Mountain Resort
    Joel Barnett – Bear Valley Business Association
    David Phillips – Michael David Wines
    Kurt Gensheimer – Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship
    Walt Markus – Gateway Press
    Ken Prosser – Kenji Designs
    Gary Bissell – Website