Bear Valley Fat Tire Festival - Oct. 5,6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bear Valley Fat Tire Festival - Oct. 5,6

Just got this in my inbox. Bear Valley Adventure Company and Bear Valley Trail Stewardship are teaming up with great sponsors for another fantastic weekend. IMO, Fall riding at 7000 ft is THE BEST! The light, colors, cool temps all make for really enjoyable rides. And BVTS has been fantastic at maintaining trails and reclaiming a few lost trails so the riding opportunities are getting better all the time. I'll post more info later but just wanted to get the word out so you all can mark your calendars

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Is there a minimum tire width for this event? I am running 4.8" Maxxis Minions, I would hope this would be acceptable. But am interested to see if they would allow skinnier tires.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Is there a minimum tire width for this event? I am running 4.8" Maxxis Minions, I would hope this would be acceptable. But am interested to see if they would allow skinnier tires.
    Great question! There's actually no minimum width requirement. To clarify, we in Bear Valley use the term "fat tire" quite literally. We're still in the review process but will soon publish our guidelines for minimum acceptable fat content in tires for the festival (BVFTF: 2019-1). We will concurrently release our standard test method for fat content validation (BVFTF: 2019-1; Appendix 1-1).
    We're hoping that these will be adopted by the UCI as an international standard and that's why it's taking so long.
    One nice thing about our requirements is that even if you don't have "fat certified" tires, you can modify your existing set up by simply injecting fat into the tire with our patented Bear Valley Universal Fat Tire Injection System (BVUFTIS).
    There will be one available at festival registration and three grades of fat free of charge to the first 150 registrants.
    There will also be a small supply of BVFTF: 2019-1 conforming fat tires available for purchase. All proceeds support Bear Valley Trail Stewardship and their mission to provide the best fat tire riding in the Sierra.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Based on the ad, it seems the drive side must be on the left!

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    based on the ad, it seems the drive side must be on the left!
    haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    and based on the bike, that it's 1998....

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Interesting; I've been wanting to check out Bear Valley. How do the trails compare to South Lake? Any good camping options that will be open during the festival?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Keep driving up HWY 4 and there is free disbursed camping everywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    If they would let me and my skinny 2.6 tires up, sounds like fun Camping close enough to ride to? Looks like you can't book the Bear Valley Lodge online as that would be a convenient place to crash too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm going to try to contact the forest service about any open campgrounds at the time but as someone else said, there are disbursed camping options quite close to Bear valley. Actually a few right across the highway from the village and alongside the lake Alpine trail. I'll try to put a map together and post it showing these.
    As far as trails go, there's a good variety with lots of options from shorter ups and downs or shuttle rides to ask day epics. One reason for the festival is to share beta with those who haven't been here or maybe have but didn't really know everything that exists.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmtber View Post
    and based on the bike, that it's 1998....
    But the spokes are futuristic!
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Moderator Moderator
    150mm stem.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Bear Valley has some great riding and it's getting better and better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Interesting; I've been wanting to check out Bear Valley. How do the trails compare to South Lake? Any good camping options that will be open during the festival?
    Trails around Bear Valley are more of the multi use variety. In South lake Tahoe there are now quite a few trails that are more purpose built for mountain biking with man-made features like jumps, big berms and the like. Bear valley trails are not so developed specifically for bikes but still have lots of signature granite the Sierra is well known for.
    Trails in and around BV are not crowded and don't get huge traffic so they are typically narrow and have more natural features and tech. Even the popular ones don't become moon dust if it hasn't rained in a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    What are some of the best trails? Iím going to be up there this weekend but a lot of the Trailforks info was comments from last summer saying they were about to fix various parts.

mtbr member
    *with

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brucero View Post
    What are some of the best trails? Iím going to be up there this weekend but a lot of the Trailforks info was comments from last summer saying they were about to fix various parts.
    What kind of riding do you enjoy most?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Iím looking for big climbs, epic views, and lots of granite

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Recommended BV ride

Iím looking for big climbs, epic views, and lots of granite
    Try this. https://caltopo.com/m/RKE2
    The main ride is blue but if you have the legs, do the up/back to Cape Horn (one of the purple). There is a nice overlook (big granite slab to sit on as well) near the top.
    Further on the blue trail, Osborne ridge has great views and while the last climb up the Mt Reba dirt road is a kicker, the descent down Odenn/Rings and onto the granite slab is worth it.
    This is a classic BV ride.

gainlessly unemployed
    Quote Originally Posted by ladeekus View Post
    The main ride is blue but if you have the legs, do the up/back to Cape Horn (one of the purple). There is a nice overlook (big granite slab to sit on as well) near the top.
    Further on the blue trail, Osborne ridge has great views and while the last climb up the Mt Reba dirt road is a kicker, the descent down Odenn/Rings and onto the granite slab is worth it.
    Dear magic 8ball, how about something with more chunk akin to Corral or flow akin to Armstrong?

Im excited to visit BV, was not on my radar in the slightest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tame Ape View Post
    Dear magic 8ball, how about something with more chunk akin to Corral or flow akin to Armstrong?
    Odenn/Rings/Granite Slab is by far the most popular set in BV for fun chunky tech. It is like Corral was 20 years ago. Fun and fast in sections interspersed with brake grabbing, sphincter tightening granite drops and rock gardens. The difference is that Odenn/Rings is not red stickered meaning motos are not allowed (although they occasionally do). The trails are narrower (less line choices) and demand a bit more focus.

For Flow: As I mentioned in a post above, you're not going to find the kind of fast, flow trails in Bear Valley as some of the purpose-built or modified MTB trails in Tahoe. There are certainly sections like the double-track descent from Corral Hollow to Bear Trap Basin, Elusive, Cape Horn to name a few.

BVTS has been active only 2 years and we've done a lot to clean up and reclaim existing multi-use trails in the area. The expansion of accessible, maintained trails has been great and will continue to grow. We have big plans and are working hard.

The FAT tire festival will introduce this unique high alpine area to those who've never been, have a party to celebrate everything we've accomplished and raise a little cash to help us do more.
    You will enjoy it. I don't know anyone who's come here and not wanted to come again.

gainlessly unemployed
    Thank you! I love new trails.

Caca pasa
    Bring mosquito repellent, whatever you do.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rafekett View Post
    Bike mag had a good article a few months ago about BV, sums up the history and present pretty well:

https://www.bikemag.com/features/ori...lonely-valley/

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks! That was a great ride! My wife was a big fan of the granite at the top of Cape Horn with an amazing view. We even checked out the new trail (woodchuck basin) and it was fun too. Sheís not a fan of gnar so she let me do Oddenn/rings on my own - and a good thing because the mt Reba fireroad climb is pretty miserable. Maybe next time Iíll just ride up the paved road and hit rings/power line/granite - there were as corral like as you claimed!

So what should I do for day 2?

dw22107
    Jan 2008
    Check around town and the lake and slabs there some trails closer to the village. I also think the trials (motos) are going on. Very fun to watch trials motos on the slabs. Have fun. Try upper lower tamarack too. Couple trals off there too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks! That was a great ride! My wife was a big fan of the granite at the top of Cape Horn with an amazing view. We even checked out the new trail (woodchuck basin) and it was fun too. Sheís not a fan of gnar so she let me do Oddenn/rings on my own - and a good thing because the mt Reba fireroad climb is pretty miserable. Maybe next time Iíll just ride up the paved road and hit rings/power line/granite - there were as corral like as you claimed!

I'll send you a map. Cooking dinner now. Are you camping?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Iím staying at a cabin in big trees - hot water AND internet!

Dw, i actually followed a few motos down granite slab today, it was pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Check out the map link I posted with the first suggestion. I added another ride and a couple options. The main ride is more road climbing but a fun single track descent. The view from the top of the ski resort is awesome.
    Option 1 called 207b takes you from the top of koala access road to the top of lower rings if you don't feel like climbing to the top of the ski resort.
    Option 2 (ATT/Lower Tamarack) is a shorter out and back or out and back up the highway.
    If neither looks great to you just stop in at the BVAC and they will be happy to offer other suggestions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Check out the map link I posted with the first suggestion. I added another ride and a couple options. The main ride is more road climbing but a fun single track descent. The view from the top of the ski resort is awesome.
    Option 1 called 207b takes you from the top of koala access road to the top of lower rings if you don't feel like climbing to the top of the ski resort.
    Option 2 (ATT/Lower Tamarack) is a shorter out and back or out and back up the highway.
    If neither looks great to you just stop in at the BVAC and they will be happy to offer other suggestions.
    Thanks again! We rode up koala to the top of the mountain, then I continued on down via bear trap basin and down elusive. It was a fun loop!
    My wife got in her own adventure exploring some easier trails, and I got tired of waiting at the car so I did a quick lap on rings which was just as fun the second time.

Bear definitely has some legit trails and I hope to see more next time weíre out here

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks again! We rode up koala to the top of the mountain, then I continued on down via bear trap basin and down elusive. It was a fun loop!
    My wife got in her own adventure exploring some easier trails, and I got tired of waiting at the car so I did a quick lap on rings which was just as fun the second time.

Bear definitely has some legit trails and I hope to see more next time weíre out here
    Good to hear you had a great weekend. Come up for the fat tire festival and I'll take you out to some "lesser known" trails. There's lots!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Good to hear that this is happening. Bear Valley is one of our favorite places to visit. Recently spent a week during the summer and a week during the winter holidays there last year with the entire family. My wife had a chance to actually ride the loop out to Lake Alpine during the summer last year and had a blast. Would love to go for the Fat Tire Festival but may logistically be difficult to get the whole crew up there with only 2 weeks notice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I hope you can make it! It's going to be sweet! Rain and possibly snow next weekend should make for hero conditions on the 5th.
    Had a group of NICA coaches up this weekend and let them on a ride if the best BV has to offer. The Stoke was very high!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Me and at least one more buddy are rolling up from Sac area. Very excited! Lake Alpine campgrounds look to be one of the better places to crash nearby. A friend might be bringing up a small camper. Not sure if that can be parked there, or if the resort is actually possibly cool with he parking that somewhere on there lot overnight?

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Answered one of my questions...

Do the campsites have rv hookups?
    RVs are welcome in all our campsites except Backpackers, but there are no utility hookups available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    Me and at least one more buddy are rolling up from Sac area. Very excited! Lake Alpine campgrounds look to be one of the better places to crash nearby. A friend might be bringing up a small camper. Not sure if that can be parked there, or if the resort is actually possibly cool with he parking that somewhere on there lot overnight?
    Awesome that you are coming up!
    You would have to call the resort about that. There is a big parking lot in the village near the adventure company. There are also places to camp on the south side of the highway about a quarter mile past the Bear valley village turnoff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Answered one of my questions...

Do the campsites have rv hookups?
    RVs are welcome in all our campsites except Backpackers, but there are no utility hookups available.
    Check to make sure the campgrounds around lake Alpine will still be open. I think they are closing soon for the season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hope you can make it! It's going to be sweet! Rain and possibly snow next weekend should make for hero conditions on the 5th.
    Had a group of NICA coaches up this weekend and let them on a ride if the best BV has to offer. The Stoke was very high!

I'm going to make it up along with the family. We won't be there unitl mid-morning on the 5th, but will stay until Monday.

Any suggestions on a trail ride for kids ? I have 2 that can reliably ride between 6-8 miles consistently on rolling terrain. My wife has ridden the Lake Alpine loop and was worried that there would be just a bit more climbing than the kids will put up with on that trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XC Only View Post
    I'm going to make it up along with the family. We won't be there unitl mid-morning on the 5th, but will stay until Monday.

Any suggestions on a trail ride for kids ? I have 2 that can reliably ride between 6-8 miles consistently on rolling terrain. My wife has ridden the Lake Alpine loop and was worried that there would be just a bit more climbing than the kids will put up with on that trail.
    How old are your kids?
    I have 2 boys agreed 9 and 12 and their favorite is up the lake Alpine trail from the village to silver tip campground then down lodgepole trail to the village. Mellow 6 percent grade for 2 miles up and fun single track down. Lodgepole is a little technical in places so an out n back is also an option. There are other good family friendly options too.

mtbr member
    What happens on the 6th? Everything I find is on the 5th.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CrozCountry View Post
    What happens on the 6th? Everything I find is on the 5th.
    You are right. The festival activities are only happening on the 5th but I and others who know the area well will be guiding rides on Sunday as well. We'll get a group and ride some fun stuff not many know about. You won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Sounds awesome. Lake alpine loop looks like a good Sunday am ride. Since there are no reservations there, any chance we get up there Friday night and have nowhere to camp?

Sent from my SM-G960U using ****************android_app_mtbr

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Not sure. Silver tip was busy last weekend. Not sure if it was full. If silver tip is full, there is dispersed camping near the tennis courts on the south side of highway 4 just after the turnoff to Bear valley. Keep in mind there are no campfires allowed except in designated campgrounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just heard from the organizer, Bear Valley Adventure Company that registration prices will not increase October 1 but there will be no free event t shirt after that date. So if you are thinking of going, register now to get a free event tee.Bear Valley Fat Tire Festival - Oct. 5,6-bvts-logo.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You are right. The festival activities are only happening on the 5th but I and others who know the area well will be guiding rides on Sunday as well. We'll get a group and ride some fun stuff not many know about. You won't be disappointed!

Because of when we can get there, this sounds like a good plan. May only have time to ride for the afternoon session on Satruday. Can you keep us updated of when/where to meet for Sunday rides?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Because of when we can get there, this sounds like a good plan. May only have time to ride for the afternoon session on Satruday. Can you keep us updated of when/where to meet for Sunday rides?
    Definitely. Let's say 9am Sunday morning at the adventure company and I'll let you know if that changes.
    See you there! My real name is David.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Found a great place to stay 2 miles from the event if anyone is interested. The Tamarack Lodge has lots of options, whether you want to reserve a campsite if you are getting up late, or if you want indoor/bed options. I have been emailing with the owner Vicky and they seem very accommodating. We booked on of their rooms. If you do book, please mention my name (Zach Chown) and it is for the Event and maybe she can get us a little bit of a group discount rate. Either way, the cost is very good and there aren't many other options out there. Tamarack Lodge photos of rooms. |

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Reminder:
    Today if the last day to register AND get a free t-shirt. After today, the price won't change but you'll have to pay for an event tee (if you want one).
    It REALLY helps the organizer to pre register so they have a good idea of the headcount. The closest grocery store is over a half hour away.
    Also, I highly recommend tamarack Lodge if you don't want to camp. Way closer than anywhere else available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Looks like the entry fee includes Lunch and evening "appetizers". Wondering if we are staying out there if there is any food available to purchase for actual dinner, it he apps can be something we can get full on, or if we need to bring a grill or something? I guess same question goes with the beer

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Wondering if we are staying out there if there is any food available to purchase for actual dinner .... I guess same question goes with the beer
    Good question. Not sure about the quantity of apps versus appetites of people after a days worth of riding but I think there will be plenty of beer and there is a pizza restaurant open in the lodge/commercial center in the village. I asked them about hours but have not gotten a response. I assume they are open until at least 8. I'll let you know after they get back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Awesome, thanks for the update on that. Looks like there is also a Cafe' with coffee and breakfast sandwitches,etc. Yelp thinks they will be open.

mtbr member
    You also have the option of going a couple miles up the hill to Lake Alpine Lodge Restaurant if you are desperate for a meal. Their last day is Sunday for the season. They should be open until about 7 or 8pm I would think. And as mentioned above, you also have a pizza restaurant at the village. It's going to be some awesome dirt this weekend. Looking forward to riding with everyone on some of my favorite trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thank you to the organizers and the the people who have responded on this forum. Never been to the area and really excited to head up tomorrow night with some buddies!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's going to be an awesome weekend! Perfect fall weather. Bring your sweater!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Smokin barrel Cafe is the place for morning coffee and a sweet roll or bagel. Open from 8am to 2pm
    Sky high pizza is open 4:30pm to 9pm
    There is a general store with basic food items mostly canned or frozen with fresh food only if you're lucky. Open 11-5 I think.
    Best bet of you are planning to cook is bring what you need.
    See you all this weekend!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    One more food option is the Lake Alpine Lodge at Lake Alpine about 3 miles up highway 4 from Bear Valley. Open from 10:30am to 9pm until Sunday when they close for the season.

mtbr member
    FYI- for people looking to camp this weekend. Iím up here right now camping and there are plenty of camp spots available out of the 3 open campgrounds at Lake Alpine. That may change by tonight though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Anyone staying at the tamarac lodge, there will be 3 of us hanging out on the deck drinking beer, aka carb loading, yl tonight. Say hi.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Definitely. Let's say 9am Sunday morning at the adventure company and I'll let you know if that changes.
    See you there! My real name is David.

Thank you. I'll be on a green Kona Honzo if you you're on the lookout. Hope to run into you tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm sure we will! I'll look for the green Honzo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Guessing the meet up spot this morning is at the xc center?

Sent from my SM-G960U using ****************android_app_mtbr

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Yes. On my way there now. Should be others set up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Great time over the weekend! Did anybody who did the morning Cape Horn shuttle ride have their trailfors recording? I would like to save that. I created a "rideplan" that I think might be similar, but not sure... https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/planner/view/80934/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm sure we will! I'll look for the green Honzo.

Had a great time over the weekend. Though I didn't end up riding with your group, thanks for taking the time and introducing yourself on Sunday. Ended up with a few self-shuttled runs where my wife went to go ride back up the hill to retrieve the car--she enjoys the climbing aspect of XC riding.

Hope to do visit at least a couple times next year once the trails are clear again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hope to do visit at least a couple times next year once the trails are clear again.
    Glad you had a good time.
    Send me a message when you plan to come and I'll show you around.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk