Bay Area Suspension Rebuilds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Bay Area Suspension Rebuilds

I have quite the vast knowledge on servicing mountain bike forks. I am trying to gauge the demand and interest for same / next mountain bike fork servicing. Would you guys be interested? How much would you pay for someone to come to you and do a lower service for you in an hour? Just curious. Thank you

mtbr member
    I ran a home based bike business for years, some years back... There's more demand than one person can handle on their own, if you're good. Especially now, and especially during summer. Any decent shop is back logged for weeks right now, you just need to build a reputation and the work is yours.

A full damper rebuild runs about $150-200.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think if you have the parts necessary and can do it on the same day by appointment, I am willing to pay any thing that you think is reasonable.

mtbr member
    LC - Related service to consider... You come to someone's place and teach/guide them how to service their susp. And I bet a good portion of these folks would become future "just do it for me" customers.

What's your experience with complete fork rebuilds? And with rear susp rebuilds?

I know you have lots of enthusiasm and prolly learn fast too... Am wondering about the experience you have right now

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleCarrot View Post
    I have quite the vast knowledge on servicing mountain bike forks.
    How many years experience? Trained in a shop or UBI?

mtbr member
    I do full suspension service and tuning at home (for myself and friends only)... and accidents happen. My drain bucket moves and I'll make a mess on my garage floor. I've kicked over quarts of fluid a few times too. Some of it is being clumsy, but it just happens. Its nice having all my suspension specific tools and jigs all readily available. A vacuum bleeding setup is cumbersome to transport.

I've done high end concierge service for automotive too. You have to be very very careful working at peoples homes. I would consider having people just drop their forks or entire bikes off with you instead. My shop has had its share of accidents where we end up footing significant bills for cleaning.

The absolute best of us screw up eventually. Doing it on your terms in your own shop make it easier to manage in a way that's acceptable to the customer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I do full suspension service and tuning at home (for myself and friends only)... and accidents happen. My drain bucket moves and I'll make a mess on my garage floor. I've kicked over quarts of fluid a few times too. Some of it is being clumsy, but it just happens. Its nice having all my suspension specific tools and jigs all readily available. A vacuum bleeding setup is cumbersome to transport.

I've done high end concierge service for automotive too. You have to be very very careful working at peoples homes. I would consider having people just drop their forks or entire bikes off with you instead. My shop has had its share of accidents where we end up footing significant bills for cleaning.

The absolute best of us screw up eventually. Doing it on your terms in your own shop make it easier to manage in a way that's acceptable to the customer.
    You have a vacuum bleeder?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    You have a vacuum bleeder?
    Yeah, it's mostly for composites, but I vacuum out a shock here and there.

I also degas suspension fluid. It stores craploads of dissolved air!