Bay Area Shuttles- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bay Area Shuttles

Anyone have beta on self shuttling locally? North Bay, Peninsula, South, wherever.

How's the Aptos/Demo service?

Feel free to PM for stealth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    Anyone have beta on self shuttling locally? North Bay, Peninsula, South, wherever.

The Epicenter/Aptos shuttle is fine, but it doesn't help you for Demo. If you use it I highly recommend Burger Dot (burger.) post-ride!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Not sure why my post got deleted, but PM's have been exchanged. PLEASE don't post the names of trails that don't exist. Carry on!
    Last edited by Callender; 08-27-2019 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    The Epicenter/Aptos shuttle is fine, but it doesn't help you for Demo. If you use it I highly recommend Burger Dot post-ride!
    Yeah I've ridden demo plenty, just wondering if the out is worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah I've ridden demo plenty, just wondering if the out is worth it.

If you like a double dose of bacon it could be worth it..........
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a better idea: lose some weight and actually ride that expensive piece of garbage you wasted your money on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygato View Post
    I have a better idea: lose some weight and actually ride that expensive piece of garbage you wasted your money on.
    I weigh 140 lbs soaking wet so if I lost any weight there wouldn't be much left. And my 5010 is quite nice and gets ridden regularly. And to the contrary one of the best, albeit used and more affordable, investments I've made.

The query isn't really for me, I pedal the shit out of the trails around here. It's for some friends of mine that are putting together some rides and looking for an interesting day to engineer. They don't ride a lot and I'd rather not trash them.

Bit of a f*ck-all response with knowing basically nothing about me.

Last edited by mstrkrft69; 08-26-2019 at 07:20 AM.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Just wanted to call attention to this cancer post.
    IPA will save America

fc

Aptos shuttle is not that good since it does not help climb Demo much.

It helps with Aptos creek road which is a 12 mile fire road descent
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I'm sure you always ride to the top of Packer Saddle

mtbr member
    When I've ridden Demo I typically self shuttle the first climb. We typically do Flow, then pedal up Suffer Springs and then do Braille. I think it takes the day from like 4k of climbing to like 2500. I'm pretty sure there is a service that does it as well. I've never used it. You don't need a 4wd vehicle to get up that first climb. We've driven up there in a Subura to pick up my truck post ride. You just have to go a lot slower.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    When I've ridden Demo I typically self shuttle the first climb. We typically do Flow, then pedal up Suffer Springs and then do Braille. I think it takes the day from like 4k of climbing to like 2500. I'm pretty sure there is a service that does it as well. I've never used it. You don't need a 4wd vehicle to get up that first climb. We've driven up there in a Subura to pick up my truck post ride. You just have to go a lot slower.
    I think your numbers are accurate. Last time I rode demo we pedalled from the parking lot up to ridge, hit Braille first then up suffer and down flow before grinding our way back to the car. Was surprised when strava read 4000' of climbing for that ride as it didn't feel like that much but I guess thats what it is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Haha. Love u Frankie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    If parking at the lot (no shuttle) how long, in miles, and time, or how much torcher are the climbs in and out to get back to the parking lot to ride Braille and flow trail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dv4928 View Post
    If parking at the lot (no shuttle) how long, in miles, and time, or how much torcher are the climbs in and out to get back to the parking lot to ride Braille and flow trail?
    Really depends on the rider. If I do that ride I can get it done in about 2-2.5 hours. If you do the round-about climb for flow that climb is fairly mellow, it is the climb out of the bottom of flow up sulphur to braille that is ~40 minutes of hell. And then you have to climb out of the bottom of braille to get back to your car. One of my fav rides, but bring water and CO2, you are deep in the woods!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    Really depends on the rider. If I do that ride I can get it done in about 2-2.5 hours. If you do the round-about climb for flow that climb is fairly mellow, it is the climb out of the bottom of flow up sulphur to braille that is ~40 minutes of hell. And then you have to climb out of the bottom of braille to get back to your car. One of my fav rides, but bring water and CO2, you are deep in the woods!
    Is the whole ride 2-2.5 hours or is that all climbing time?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    That's fast! I'd say for the average rider, the basic flow loop from the lot, up buzzards, down ridge, flow, up hihns etc is about 2.5hours, especially your first time there could be more like 3 hours. Add the braile loop, another hour, so about 3.5 hours total minumum.

Yep! Bring water, food, tools, and if you ride alone an inReach or other communication device. There is no cell signal up there except in one spot at the top. If you break something on the Flow or Braile trail or other point far from the lot, it is a very long walk out. It is much longer if you're injured, and alone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This would be my first time riding there and would probably be riding solo. Buddies bike is not in running order. So am I crazy to do these trails solo for the first time? Iím not the best climber, but Iíll get there eventually. Is Braille like full face, full pads type trail? Are the trails marked or is it easy to get lost if unfamiliar with the area? Canít wait to try my Nomad 4 with new Fox DHX2 coil on it. Thanks

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    Flow and Braille laps (up Buzzards and up Sulphur) is about a 3300 foot climb. Shuttling the road and fire road cuts out about 600-800 feet of the climb depending on how close you park to the locked gate. Really not advisable on weekends since there are so many cyclists and the lots dust kicked up by vehicles.

Takes about 3-3.5 hours.
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

Bay Area Shuttles

This would be my first time riding there and would probably be riding solo. Buddies bike is not in running order. So am I crazy to do these trails solo for the first time? Iím not the best climber, but Iíll get there eventually. Is Braille like full face, full pads type trail? Are the trails marked or is it easy to get lost if unfamiliar with the area? Canít wait to try my Nomad 4 with new Fox DHX2 coil on it. Thanks
    If alone, Iíd ride it for the first time on a weekend day, not during the week. Lots of people there on the weekends. Also parts are closed during the week for work this season, but all is open on the weekend. The only trail that is easy to miss is Ridge trail, itís directly across from the bench at the top of Aptos Creek Fire Rd.

None of the trails are full face types, unless you ride them fast enough to be. Iíd probably recommend wearing knee pads, but I rarely do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Really not advisable on weekends since there are so many cyclists and the lots dust kicked up by vehicles.
    This. Shuttling Demo on a weekend is a lame move. Not even worth the trouble for saving ~600-800 ft of climbing when you're kicking up a dust cloud for all of the other riders.

mtbr member
    Yeah not interested in shuttling inside demo, didn't even know that was a thing. Just to park in Aptos, shuttle up, lap flow and have a long out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ That's going to be a long day for your buddies that don't ride much. You might just want to park at Demo to save money, time, and energy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Iím wanting to ride this on Saturday or Sunday (flow trail and Braille). Iíve been reading lots of reviews stating the climbing is brutal. I wouldnít say Iím in the best shape. Iím just back from a couple year break, but have ridden Pacifica the last three weekends. Pacifica is about a 3 mile gradual climb, then about a quarter mile or so of walking the bike up a steep section.

So if I park at the parking lot and do these trails, do you guys think Iíll be able to get through this (especially the climbing) with being a bit out of shape just coming back from a few year break in riding? Iím willing to push myself, but donít want to get in over my head. Iíve been really wanting to ride here. Just got a new Nomad 4 to keep me motivated. For you guys that have been there, what are your thoughts? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Iím wanting to ride this on Saturday or Sunday (flow trail and Braille). Iíve been reading lots of reviews stating the climbing is brutal. I wouldnít say Iím in the best shape. Iím just back from a couple year break, but have ridden Pacifica the last three weekends.

So if I park at the parking lot and do these trails, do you guys think Iíll be able to get through this (especially the climbing) with being a bit out of shape just coming back from a few year break in riding? Iím willing to push myself, but donít want to get in over my head. Iíve been really wanting to ride here. Just got a new Nomad 4 to keep me motivated. For you guys that have been there, what are your thoughts? Thanks
    If you've been able to do a few of laps of say mile and boy scout in a single ride, I'd say ya likely have the fitness for two loops. On the other hand if you are feeling the burn it after just three or so laps of boy scout you probably need to work on your fitness more first. I mean worst comes to worst though you just do one lap of either flow or braille.

Moderator Moderator
    Option 1: Ride the Buzzards/Flow loop first, when you get to Sulfur for the Braile loop you can gauge how you feel. Basically at that point you would be at the halfway point for the climbing, if you do Sulfur/Braile. If you feel like you could do what you just did all over again, then go for it. If not, you've got an easy climb back to the lot. After not riding for awhile, and riding a Nomad with I'm guessing enduro tires, I'd plan on walking up Sulfur.

Option 2: Ride down Hinh's Mill to Sulfur. Climb up Sulfur and decide which loop to ride, or ride both climbing Sulfur twice. You'll know exactly what you're facing on the way out, as you rode down it.

mtbr member
    Iím wanting to ride this on Saturday or Sunday (flow trail and Braille). Iíve been reading lots of reviews stating the climbing is brutal. I wouldnít say Iím in the best shape. Iím just back from a couple year break, but have ridden Pacifica the last three weekends. Pacifica is about a 3 mile gradual climb, then about a quarter mile or so of walking the bike up a steep section.

The climbing at Demo sucks because itís long and boring, but itís not soul-crushing steep. Unlike some climbs where you need to put down a lot of power to keep moving, at Demo, you always have the option of just pedaling slower if youíre tired.

Like others have said, do 1 lap, and when you get to Sulfer, you can decide if youíre feeling good and want to do another lap, or getting tired and take it back to the parking lot.

Personally, I enjoy Braille more than flow, and late summer is not the best time to ride flow because itís usually pretty blown out. But if you stay high on the berms, you can avoid a lot of the moon dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Awesome guys! Thanks for the info!

Iíll give it a go and maybe just do the Braille Loop. I think my Nomad 4 would be more in its element on that trail. If Iím having too much fun and my legs are still there, I may go for another round on flow. Super stoked to get out there. Feel free to add any further comments or PM me any little details.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Moderator Moderator
    How did it go?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    How did it go?
    It was awesome! I ended up just doing Flow. Wanted to do Braille too, but my legs werenít having it. I climbed up Suffer, well climbed and walked, then did flow. Those climbs ainít no joke! I havenít been riding for a while and I felt it. And the mosquitoes ate me alive. Was super fun though and new Nomad with DHX2 coil felt great!

mtbr member
    I took the shuttle from Aptos once and tbh I don't see the appeal. It's a big long drive and then you've still got to climb. Nisene Marks is a beautiful place but it's better for hiking with kids or walking dogs. The best riding trails are in Demo so if you want to bike just stay there.