Bay Area Rockshox service expert?- Mtbr.com
    Ride, Race, Live

Bay Area Rockshox service expert?

I have a 2016 Rockshox Pike RCT3 non boost that needs the hands of an expert.
    This fork has been serviced and upgraded and should be as good as a new 2019 fork but to me doesnít feel correct.
    Iím looking for a shop that has deep experience servicing Rockshox forks that can help figure out whatís wrong.
    Looking for recommendations.
    Thanks

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    The Bicycle Garage in Fremont is the guru for all things Rockshox. Itís worth the trip across the bay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How about someone in the North Bay?
    I contacted Breenan Autosports in Benicia but they don't do Rockshok any more. I would like to get my same era RCT3's dampener rebuilt.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I highly recommend Tread in Campbell for suspension.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Not North Bay, but check out Full Flow Suspension in Auburn. I think you can ship your stuff to him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ride, Race, Live
    Thanks.
    Iím in Oakland so Fremont is not so bad

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Nothing in the north bay... mountain biking died there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NRP View Post
    Not North Bay, but check out Full Flow Suspension in Auburn. I think you can ship your stuff to him.
    This. Mike is good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Brennan Autosport - Northern CA Performance Damper Tuning & Service Center

Brennan is in Benicia/Vallejo area. He'll do service and sales of high end after market suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick-e View Post
    I have a 2016 Rockshox Pike RCT3 non boost that needs the hands of an expert.
    This fork has been serviced and upgraded and should be as good as a new 2019 fork but to me doesnít feel correct.
    Iím looking for a shop that has deep experience servicing Rockshox forks that can help figure out whatís wrong.
    Looking for recommendations.
    Thanks
    Breakaway Bikes in Santa Rosa (that's definitely north bay). I know they do shocks, so I assume forks as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    Brennan Autosport - Northern CA Performance Damper Tuning & Service Center

Brennan is in Benicia/Vallejo area. He'll do service and sales of high end after market suspension.
    I contacted them and they said they no longer do Rockshox.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Chris at Frame Up Bikes in Walnut Creek does Rockshox & Fox suspensions. Give him a call. He has done great work for me.

Catfish ...

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    What's the issue?
    Maybe it's solvable by you?

_MK

"The things you get fired for when youíre young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when youíre old."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    What's the issue?
    Maybe it's solvable by you?

_MK
    This. They're usually super easy, what's your issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    This. They're usually super easy, what's your issue?
    I guess because it is 5 years old now. I have done the oil changes and seals and they are quite easy. I am just thinking it would be good at this point to rebuild the dampener. That is more involved and i am not sure I want to take that on or not.

suspension often gets lousy and doesn't always just die. I have had rebuilds in the past come back and it was like a new bike. The fork still "works" but I am thinking it isn't as good as it used to be.

Thoughts?

Jeff

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Quote Originally Posted by jeph View Post
    I guess because it is 5 years old now. I have done the oil changes and seals and they are quite easy. I am just thinking it would be good at this point to rebuild the dampener. That is more involved and i am not sure I want to take that on or not.

suspension often gets lousy and doesn't always just die. I have had rebuilds in the past come back and it was like a new bike. The fork still "works" but I am thinking it isn't as good as it used to be.

Thoughts?

Jeff
    The OP says it has been serviced and upgraded so I don't think he's having an issue with the damper needing service?

Upgraded could mean a new Charger Damper (2.0 or 2.1) or the new air piston with aluminum sealhead; or both.

Curious what the OP is feeling that is triggering not right feeling.

_MK

"The things you get fired for when youíre young are the same things you get Lifetime Achievements for when youíre old."

Ride, Race, Live
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    The OP says it has been serviced and upgraded so I don't think he's having an issue with the damper needing service?

Upgraded could mean a new Charger Damper (2.0 or 2.1) or the new air piston with aluminum sealhead; or both.

Curious what the OP is feeling that is triggering not right feeling.

_MK
    This
    Both
    2 things
    In order to get to the desired sag % I have to run really low air pressure. Something like 50 when it should be loser to 80
    Thatís a sign something isnít right.
    Also the initial stroke. That break away pressure when youíve applied enough force to overcome the stiction is way too much.
    As a concept imagine standing over your bike and leaning forward. When you lean on the handle bars at first the fork doesnít move, but you havenít put much weight on it as you lean a little further it breaks the stiction and squishís in a soft plush manner.
    Mine kind of holds on then pops.
    It feels wrong.
    Everythingís new.
    Somethings not right.
    I want a professional to feel it and help guide the next step

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Sounds like an issue my wife's Pike developed. Air escaping the positive chamber and going into the lower leg.

Is your fork also topping out harshly?

If you're handy, try this, flip your bike upside down, undo the footnut on the air spring side then tap the shaft into the lower leg; you'll probably hear a hiss of air escaping; that's the air that's in the lower leg. If you attach and tighten the footnut, I bet your fork will feel normal after all the pressure is released.

To fix this, you'll need to pull the lowers then release air from the air spring. Then remove the C-clip and pull out the air shaft and the seal head. You may need to replace the o-ring but if it's been serviced, it's possible the slick honey wasn't applied well. Apply liberal Slick Honey to the o-ring and then re-assemble. Should be good as new.

_MK