Bay Area Bike Park anywhere? (bmx style)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bay Area Bike Park anywhere? (bmx style)

Is there a bike park, like a skate park, anywhere in the Bay Area? I'm near San Mateo, I've heard of on place deep in East Bay, but I'm wondering about around here. I'm trying to sharpen up my trials/BMX skills and it would be fun to have a bike park/half tube or whatever to play around with. I know about shells, but I'm thinking cement or combo cement/developed park/grass, etc.

When I google it there seems to have been one is SJ, is that gone? From what I read its been gone for a while, but I can't quite figure it out. And there are various things about something in SF, but I think its really some mtn biking trails, can't quite figure out what it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    there is calabazas park in cupertino / san jose but that is just a dirt park. other than that the only place i know of is in santa cruz near the boardwalk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool, I'll check it out. Just read about it, sounds great. Until I get a BMX/trials bike, I'll be there on my 5.5" susp bike, that will be kind of funny.

cunningham lake in san jose, pleasanton bmx park

is down to roll...
    Benicia X-Park is BMX friendly (can't call it a skate park since that's not an inclusive name). I hear it's only on certain days, but loosely enforced.

Ramp Rats on certain day?
    : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Santa Cruz
    Lake Cunningham
    Calabazas
    Shells

Check out SJBMX.com or ride SFO for more info on the park scene.

mtbr member
    greer park in palo alto

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Oh - cool - Palo Alto is closest. That is great.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    ^Brian beat me to it, Greer is ridable in the mornings, but skaters come first it seems is still the rule. There'a also the park in Menlo Park.

Now, here's something to chew on..

Red Devil's (Union City..my old spot, and a place of my misspent youth and part of young adulthood) been torn down and the groms are starting to sneak in some stuff, that will honestly get plowed since they're not learning what is and is not acceptable, and also there's the proposed projects for McLaren Park in S.F. as well as the Gateway Park idea.

Get involved in the proposed parks and help garner support, check out sites like Lee's leelikesbikes.com as well as Jason's ihatebikes.net for pics, ideas, access and all that to keep the stoke going.

Watch the boards, and well, take a step towards helping the sport to grow through active involvement and respect for communities and what is and is not acceptable things as far as liabilities for cities. make the system work in your favor and you'll start to see more tracks pop up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That is funny - Lee's site is open in the tab next to this one already!

If there are skaters there in mass, its not cool to show up with a bike I assume? I'm from Venice (ca) where if you don't play it cool in these places it can lead to... Unpleasantness, lets say, and leave it pleasant. And I actually saw a disagreement at shells get pretty bad last year - a guy showed up with a super-tiny motorbike and some of the pumpers got really really pissed. But it ended before fists got thrown - barely.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LightMiner
    ..I actually saw a disagreement at shells get pretty bad last year - a guy showed up with a super-tiny motorbike and some of the pumpers got really really pissed. But it ended before fists got thrown - barely.
    Lee's good peeps. As for Shells, well, honestly if the 50cc guys that were there actually helped to maintain things once in awhile, and didn't keep on "Brapping" like a bunch of insecure babies it would have been fine. They caused too much damage, and not just with the jumps and needed to be moved out so things could progress. Sadly around the same time, a lot of us who'd go there fell off with adulthood, injury, etc and people like Alex, Roger, Ivan, and many others just stopped going.

I miss the spot and almost stopped to hit it up last Friday after picking up my new step faceplate, but saw from afar it was a ghost town and just kept rolling..

Sad, huh. I should try to head over and actually spend a little time there soon, if nothing more than to see what is up with things now.

mtbr member
    Is there a bike park, like a skate park, anywhere in the Bay Area? I'm near San Mateo, I've heard of on place deep in East Bay, but I'm wondering about around here. I'm trying to sharpen up my trials/BMX skills and it would be fun to have a bike park/half tube or whatever to play around with. I know about shells, but I'm thinking cement or combo cement/developed park/grass, etc.

When I google it there seems to have been one is SJ, is that gone? From what I read its been gone for a while, but I can't quite figure it out. And there are various things about something in SF, but I think its really some mtn biking trails, can't quite figure out what it is.
    I just ordered myself a BMX bike - rather a bunch of parts to build a BMX bike. Will be looking for a place to train as well - never done that. My office is right across the 101 from Greers, though I guess I will spend a while learning the basics on the street.

BMX build-up next weekend. Mmm.. new toys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One of the things that is inspiring me to do this - if you watch the video below, I can't imagine what being able to do that (even twice, possibly three times as slow) would do to my mtn biking skills.

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/video-o...pump-race.html

Watch the top video. That has to totally change one's ability to get through various mtn bike paths!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Curmy - what frame? I was looking at the Yeti and Santa Cruz Jackal as something to work on this stuff with. A little more expensive than some of the other options, but they seem like really solid bikes.

My 5.5 inch trail bike isn't great for pumping. I'm just pumping the shocks, really. Even locked down (ie. front fork on lockout, and propedal at 3 and locked out) all I'm doing is compressing them...

mtbr member
    Curmy - what frame? I was looking at the Yeti and Santa Cruz Jackal as something to work on this stuff with. A little more expensive than some of the other options, but they seem like really solid bikes.

My 5.5 inch trail bike isn't great for pumping. I'm just pumping the shocks, really. Even locked down (ie. front fork on lockout, and propedal at 3 and locked out) all I'm doing is compressing them...
    I decided that I want a full out "street" BMX to round out my stable of toys. Already have a fun 26" singlespeed - transition TransAm. Never rode BMX, so will see what I am have missed. Was looking at higher end completes - but since I am in the habit of wasting a bit of money on toys ended up ordering all by parts.

Got Flybikes Pantera 4 frame, Odyssey directors fork, Elementary stem and brake lever, Flybikes cranks, handlebar, BB, pedals, front wheel, brakes, MacNeil rear wheel, KHE Mac2 dirt front, street rear tire, Eclat combo seat, headset, KMC 710SL chain, pimp disk chaiwheel with guard. I have no idea about BMX parts, just went over some forums with "my dream bike" setup threads. I guess it is a way better bike then my non-existent skills. Two packages are on the way - scheduled delivery this Friday. Can't wait.

Funny that a all fancy parts BMX assembled - with 20% coupon at Dans, is still half price of a top MTB frame.

Looked at this San Jose park - I think I should go a take some beginner lessons first thing. Lessons are always helpful.

Just passed by this Greer spot in Palo Alto - couple kids were riding BMX. Just 5 min riding from my office, maybe will be playing there at lunch, when there are no kids to amuse.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    ...Just 5 min riding from my office, maybe will be playing there at lunch, when there are no kids to amuse.
    Cough, snicker.. Summah Time Bro.. You'll be lucky to have it to yourself for more than 20 minutes at a time. Sorry, but at least you'll expect it now and hopefully not be as pissed if I hadn't mentioned that. Remember though, if you fall on cold or hot dirt, it never hurts as bad as the 'crete. Pad up man.

**Also, stock up on bananas..I couldn't even link 3 rounds on a track over here today, I dunno wanna even know how bad I suck right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I can't figure out what bike to get... Yeti DJ with adjustable chainstay length, set to minimum, should be 'decent' for trials and great for pump/dj. But as you said the price is unreal compared to 'bmx' stuff. So especially in the beginning I might just try to find some store with actual BMX stuff and get something there for around 500. I can get a SC Jackal or Yeti DJ later if I end up spending a lot of time on it.

As a mtn biker it would be great to have one bike for DJ/trials, but apparently even those are considered very different pursuits these days. Have you guys seen real trials bikes! Hilarious. Long and low - and no seats... And super-tiny tires. I don't see one of those in my near future or mid future.

mtbr member
    So especially in the beginning I might just try to find some store with actual BMX stuff and get something there for around 500. .
    Calabazas Cyclery has last year Fit Trl signature sitting there for a bit more then that, which should be about perfect for 20" BMX, or just wait for another 20% off coupon at Danscomp. I was looking at We The People Envy, Fit's signature models, Verde Luxe ... and ended up ordering parts... cause I am a gear whore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The liquid bikes seem cool - BMX for adults in a way. And GT has one with 24 inch tires, the Power Series 24. I'll check out Calabazas Cyclery, thanks! Take a look at the Liquid thing:

http://www.liquid-bikes.com/

mtbr member
    Take a look at the Liquid thing:

http://www.liquid-bikes.com/
    I really would not be able to justify seventh bike for myself. Not even looking.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by obionespeedonly
    ^There'a also the park in Menlo Park.

:
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudncrud
    where is this?
    http://www.ci.menlo-park.ca.us/depar...e_project.html

But I think they do not allow bikes?

padded
    It's a haul from the Mid-Pen and can be hot as s*** in the summer but Pleasanton bike park is sweet. I live in Fremont so it's only 20 min, and take my 6 yo there. It's got a good mix of big and small stuff, is bike only (no skaters, no 50s), and gets riders of all ages, from groms to 40-somethings with serious skilz (I'm not one of them). Best of all the vibe is mellow and people seem to get along ok - if you've got a reason to be in the EB (and who doesn't?!) I recommend bringing your bike along and checking it out.

Shells is fun, but there's not a lot of medium-sized stuff there anymore, and it can get a little hairy. My son loves it though so we still go every month or so, and burgers at Jeffrey's after are a huge win
    "You are by far the most interesting single-serving friend I have ever met."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For the Menlo Park place it says you have to wear elbow and knee pads, no food or drink, and lastly no bikes. Actually the no bikes was first on the list.

Again, is that 'loose'? If its not crowded can you bike or is it really 100% no bike? What happens - can you get a ticket?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I should unhang my Traildigger and ride it. It's a lot of fun, but not nearly as jam'able as my 20"

A few years ago I had a Volume 26"

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  134.3 KB

But 20" ownz.

Bay Area Bike Park anywhere? (bmx style)-cimg0565.jpg

If I could 360 bunnyhop my 'cross bike, I'd feel like a hero.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here's a better pic of my Traildigger. If I could go back, I'd get the 24". I used to also have a Giant STP, but I didn't like the feel of the suspension fork. Rigid is the way to go for urban riding.

Bay Area Bike Park anywhere? (bmx style)-cimg0464.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For the Menlo Park place it says you have to wear elbow and knee pads, no food or drink, and lastly no bikes. Actually the no bikes was first on the list.

Again, is that 'loose'? If its not crowded can you bike or is it really 100% no bike? What happens - can you get a ticket?

The rules on the sign might say that, but any time you go there, there's always a few bikers and barely anyone has a helmet on. I'll hit that park up maybe once a week or so and have only been kicked out once by the 5-0, no tickets, just asked to leave. I try to get there early, like 9 or 10 just so its empty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That is good to know - the map of it looks really cool. I had my first successful pump day today! Pumped all around the place. Went pretty well. Tons of fore-arm strength required, and more work on the core/lower back than 'just riding'.

mtbr member
    i think red morton park in redwood city has a bikish skateboardish park. I have seen them riding around a couple different times there. check it out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've seen bikes in the MP skate park when I roll by on CalTrain. I've recently built up a 'fun' bike and hope to check out the MP park in the near future.

sanfran.jess
    Jan 2010
    There's a skate park in Pacifica across the street from Linda Mar Beach. I've seen some BMX bikes over there.

Members who have read this thread: 0