Bait Bikes and Baseball Bats- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Bait Bikes and Baseball Bats

No known cure
    So thieves are victims? Got it. Jury nullification if I was on the jury.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The thinking is good, the execution is not.

There was a video a while back, someone tied fishingwire to the chainstay of a bike parked on a downhill. Thief would take the bike and speed away only to go otb because they didnt know the bike was a bait.

Formerly of Kent
    If you use a bike as bait to beat the shit out of people and record it for your own entertainment, you have problems.

Also, here's the other thing: If you attack someone with a baseball bat as they are riding down the street on the POS bike they just stole from you, they can shoot you in the face, and walk. That's self defense on their part.

The enemy gets a vote, too.
    Death from Below.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    The thinking is good, the execution is not.

There was a video a while back, someone tied fishingwire to the chainstay of a bike parked on a downhill. Thief would take the bike and speed away only to go otb because they didnt know the bike was a bait.
    Twins TV on YouTube did a few videos of that nature. Hilarious stuff!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Up In Smoke
    Wow, this is extremely disturbing.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

member member
    The back story that is missing from this thread is how they moved to Visalia after being stationed at NAS Lemoore. Had their vehicles broken into several times. They bought a ring cam, and when they didn't catch the perp(s) right away, they decided to expedite the process by putting a bait bike out.

mtbr member
    I don't know the specifics of this story but would imagine many many people are about at their wit's end with the crack head invasion. I'd expect these Charles Bronson stories to become absolute common place in the very near future. My only take away is that she looks like a character from Despicable Me.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Snow Dog
    I just don't see criminals as victims...they are willingly putting themselves in harms way, therefore giving up their right to sympathy in my book. Just like when I willingly go on to the ice and get smashed by a puck, or stick, or someones elbow. By agreeing to take the risk willingly, I don't deserve sympathy for the injuries I sustain.

If any of those "people" were working at a job, or home studying for class, they would not be in that situation. Once they cross the line into deviance, all bets are off. Hell even if they were out, they have a choice to do the right thing or the wrong thing. I walk by millions of things left unprotected in peoples yards/cars etc everyday, and I MAKE THE CHOICE to not get attacked by baseball bats for my decisions.

It is lame that the couple had to go down the weak route and post it on social media. I don't disagree with that.
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Wow, this is extremely disturbing.
    I tried the same exact thing, but I used a Nerf bat. Lost a few bikes before I smarted up.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think they were providing a public service. I bet the scumbag thieves will think twice next time before making the wrong choice. Sometimes people learn with a carrot, sometimes it takes the stick.

Calling the scumbag thieves "victim" is despicable. It is so weird how our society, at least in CA, is giving more rights to the criminals and less to the true victims.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Bike thieves SUCK!

While I can certainly understand the homeowners frustration, there are limits to what you should be able to do. Baiting maybe, but baiting and beating... notsomuch.

Still, I would think that the thieves will think twice before attempting their next caper.
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm with Le Duke. This is not how civilized people solve problems.

Unless we're talking trail sanitizing.

"Beat on the brats with a baseball bat!" ~ Ramones
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by spec306 View Post
    I think they were providing a public service. I bet the scumbag thieves will think twice next time before making the wrong choice. Sometimes people learn with a carrot, sometimes it takes the stick.

Calling the scumbag thieves "victim" is despicable. It is so weird how our society, at least in CA, is giving more rights to the criminals and less to the true victims.
    They were the victims of battery. In the United States, we have these things called “laws”, and everyone, no matter how low they are on the totem pole of life, is supposed to be protected by them.

The idea that someone has “more” rights than another person is idiotic. Someone can’t just beat someone else with a baseball bat because they stole a bike. Rights aren’t being infringed or otherwise degraded because people were so stupid as to broadcast criminal behavior on the internet. The owner of the bike has no right to use excessive force to defend property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Formerly of Kent

Double post.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    "laws" aren't working, not by a long shot. I'm not advocating bashing people's head in but I wager we see a LOT more neighborhood tribal justice in the future. People are fed up.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Hear, Hear.

Despite rogue being in vogue, we are and should always remain a nation of laws.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Callender View Post
    This is not how civilized people solve problems.

Unless we're talking trail sanitizing.
    Holy crap yes - that's funny.

Moderator Moderator
    A law that is not enforced is merely a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Not so sure about that

Violent crime is at fifty year lows.
    Property crime is less than half of what it was in the 90s.

It's the perception of crime that has changed. The US was a far more dangerous place in the 70s and 80s, yet then kids were allowed to run free for hours and hours ('Don't come 'till dinner my mom would say' at lunch), and now if we don't get text every 10 minutes, we're ready to call the police.

Live to Ride, Ride to Live

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post

It's the perception of crime that has changed. The US was a far more dangerous place in the 70s and 80s, yet then kids were allowed to run free for hours and hours ('Don't come 'till dinner my mom would say' at lunch), and now if we don't get text every 10 minutes, we're ready to call the police.

From the same article:

Most crimes are not reported to police, and most reported crimes are not solved. In its annual survey, BJS asks victims of crime whether they reported that crime to police. In 2018, only 43% of violent crimes tracked by BJS were reported to police. And in the much more common category of property crime, only about a third (34%) were reported. There are a variety of reasons crime might not be reported, including a feeling that police “would not or could not do anything to help” or that the crime is “a personal issue or too trivial to report,” according to BJS.

Most of the crimes that are reported to police, meanwhile, are not solved, at least based on an FBI measure known as the “clearance rate.” That’s the share of cases each year that are closed, or “cleared,” through the arrest, charging and referral of a suspect for prosecution (or through “exceptional means,” such as the death of a suspect or a victim’s refusal to cooperate with a prosecution). In 2018, police nationwide cleared 46% of violent crimes that were reported to them. For property crimes, the national clearance rate was 18%.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    A law that is not enforced is merely a suggestion.

Yep, that's why it's important that the ones against criminal entrapment, assault & battery, vigilantism, and theft are enforced here.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Does this example equate to entrapment?
    Law enforcement uses bait cars and bikes but you get arrested or shot instead.

60k homeless in LA county but no affiliated crime? That's incredibly naive.

Moderator Moderator
    I think there is likely a larger backstory here. What struck me about the story and interviews was the frequency of theft/beatings and the fact that the neighborhood was behind them in doing this for a time. I would deduce that the neighborhood had been targeted by petty thieves for a long time, were frustrated, and the police was either was doing nothing about it or was ineffective at best.

Dirty Old Man
    Considering the movement here in Cali not to prosecute small thefts. . . . .
    . . . . . . . .

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    From the same article:

Most crimes are not reported to police, and most reported crimes are not solved. In its annual survey, BJS asks victims of crime whether they reported that crime to police. In 2018, only 43% of violent crimes tracked by BJS were reported to police. And in the much more common category of property crime, only about a third (34%) were reported. There are a variety of reasons crime might not be reported, including a feeling that police “would not or could not do anything to help” or that the crime is “a personal issue or too trivial to report,” according to BJS.

Most of the crimes that are reported to police, meanwhile, are not solved, at least based on an FBI measure known as the “clearance rate.” That’s the share of cases each year that are closed, or “cleared,” through the arrest, charging and referral of a suspect for prosecution (or through “exceptional means,” such as the death of a suspect or a victim’s refusal to cooperate with a prosecution). In 2018, police nationwide cleared 46% of violent crimes that were reported to them. For property crimes, the national clearance rate was 18%.
    This only matters if you can show that police/feds are less effective at solving crimes now than they used to be. Given the proliferation of cell phones now vs the 90s, I doubt that is the case.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Does this example equate to entrapment?

I don't know, I'd need to consult with a legal advisor to be sure. I'm guessing assault & battery and theft are both pretty solid charges though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Entrapment is essentially defined as enticing someone to do something they wouldn't be inclined to do on their own.

So, no.

mtbr member

Whoa whoa whoa get out of here with facts and sources, it's messing with the Fox News narrative about the state of the country.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    .Someone can’t just beat someone else with a baseball bat because they stole a bike.

Sure they can, and they did LOL more power to them

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    Sure they can, and they did LOL more power to them
    And now, they’re going to get charged with a felony. Seems worth it, eh?

Death from Below.

Moderator Moderator
    I think the point of this is, when laws are not reasonably enforced and the public becomes frustrated, everyone suffers.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Law enforcement rarely does jack shˇt, so vigilante justice will have to suffice.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yeah, that's great context. It would be interest to see how that rate of reporting has changed over time.

mtbr member

That chart is not telling the entire story. The property crime figures have been rising since Prop 47. Specifically, auto break-in theft and retail store theft. Many cities have seen sharp increases theft. San Leandro property crime jumped 46% in one year. Vacaville property crime has doubled. SF is the nation's leader in property crime.

https://www.city-journal.org/san-francisco-crime

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...akers-loophole

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/11...car-break-ins/

https://mv-voice.com/news/2019/07/18...uto-burglaries

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Watching that video, I still did not see a bat swung and hit the thief.

In the future they shoulda learned here to not publicize video of a successful defense of their property. Them druggies are always beating on each other.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It's national data, there will always be local differences. Your mileage may vary.

Here's some statewide and county data, the trends are similar:
    https://www.ppic.org/publication/cri...in-california/

Some Prop 47 info, from the same source. Property crimes have gone up since Prop 47, but are still historically low statewide. There are certainly local hot spots though.
    https://www.ppic.org/press-release/p...violent-crime/

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    paint ball gun..maybe.

baseball bat. no. you could kill someone. i dont think i could live with that. killing a person over some stuff.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Snow Dog
    I do think that the people who do these kind of crimes only have one deterrent...and that is fear of being hurt. They obviously do not fear the laws, the law enforcement, the penalties etc, so I think in many cases, the good people have to "speak" to them on their level.

If the rep gets out that you will get your ass kicked for doing stuff like that in a certain area, those types will gravitate to other areas. Criminals by nature, are not too smart, and are lazy, so they will always take the easy way out.

I have lived in my neighborhood for 50 years now, and have seen 3-4 "waves" of crime like this come and go. It always starts in "pockets" where the vigilance is down, or lights are out, or people leave stuff out or unlocked... making it easy for the crimes to happen. Then people get the hint, and change things...most of the time in smart, peaceful ways, but also sometimes by really making it "uncomfortable" for the deviants to be deviant.

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Le Duke again."

^^^ My thoughts.

We are a nation of laws. The whole idea behind government and representative democracy is to prevent anarchy by giving the state a monopoly on the use of force (except in rare cases of justifiable self-defense of life) to ensure individuals receive due process of law. Vigilantism is antithetical to the Constitution and the very idea of representative government.

TL;DR- If you support these people, you hate America.

(Don't get me wrong, I get the sentiment. But, no.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post

If the rep gets out that you will get your ass kicked for doing stuff like that in a certain area, those types will gravitate to other areas.
    This is so fundamentally obvious it's unfortunate we have to state it as an opinion.

mtbr member
    It also should be fundamentally obvious that breaking laws and posting it on youtube to get hits isn't a very smart idea. Also pretty sick.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It also should be fundamentally obvious that breaking laws and posting it on youtube to get hits isn't a very smart idea. Also pretty sick.
    I do agree with this...

if I had to resort to some malicious act to protect my stuff, I would NOT be proud of it, and would not want to brag about it to make myself feel bigger and better.

As stated before though, i would have no empathy for someone who decides to break the laws of civility and then gets hurt doing so...

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    This is so fundamentally obvious it's unfortunate we have to state it as an opinion.

and get shamed for saying/thinking it...

yep...things have definitely been turned around in the past 100 years...

LET IT SNOW!

Formerly of Kent

I’m still waiting to hear the contingency plans from the people who want to beat a dude down with a bat over a ******* clunker.

Answers to vital questions, such as:

1) What happens when you don’t solidly connect, and he decides he’s cool with violence, too?

2) What happens when his buddy comes out of left field?

3) Are you ready to die for a belonging?

Don’t rush to failure.

Death from Below.

the half breed devil
    the united states navy will have the female perp's ass in a sling following the conclusion of their investigation...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    and get shamed for saying/thinking it...

yep...things have definitely been turned around in the past 100 years...

No, people were shamed for being @ssholes 100 years ago too. 2 wrongs doesn't make 1 right, remember that one?
    I brake for stinkbugs

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Don’t rush to failure.

That's a great line!

mtbr member
    It's national data, there will always be local differences. Your mileage may vary.

Here's some statewide and county data, the trends are similar:
    https://www.ppic.org/publication/cri...in-california/

Some Prop 47 info, from the same source. Property crimes have gone up since Prop 47, but are still historically low statewide. There are certainly local hot spots though.
    https://www.ppic.org/press-release/p...violent-crime/

Most of the statistics and facts in the Prop 47 article date back to 2015 and 2016. So, it is pretty outdated. A lot has happened the last 4 years. There are many local news articles in the last year with more up to date statistics and facts are contrary to that organization's findings.

Lived here my entire life since 70s. In my experience as well, I have seen crime rising quite a lot. My car has been broken into 4 times in last 16 months. A pharmacy I am associated with has been broken into about 10 times in last few years and 20 times in last 20 years. My dad occupied that space with his pharmacy 25 years prior and only had 3 or 4 burglaries.
    Last edited by aliikane; 1 Week Ago at 08:31 AM.

Haud yer wheesht!
    Did a search to see if there were any updates (nope), but lots of ads for Easton baseball bats!
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    This honestly is sad on many levels. That a couple felt frustrated enough to do this the first time, but also enough rage to continue to do it and post it on youtube. That the perps felt that because something wasn't ironclad locked up that it was fair game. That the local police won't do anything about it. I can't help but think this is more about the disillusionment of current society in regards to feeling that they are working towards something better.

This follows a similar parallel to behaviors we see at my work and in industry, you put good people under pressure long enough, they will make bad decisions. This is evident in this case from many different angles.
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (ip)
    2020 FTS 2020 (ip)

member member
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    That the local police won't do anything about it..
    Ding Ding Ding.. Winner.. Of the several ghetto ass towns in CA in which I have visited, or taken residency, Visalia is the only town in CA in which I have had a gun pulled on me, and pointed strait at my face. When I reported it, I figured it would be helicopters, 10 cop cars, the swat team.. Nah. It was one cop. He says.. "What street were you on? Oh, yeah, that's a bad neighborhood.." Mmmkay, I must have missed that given the newer cars in the driveways and well manicured lawns.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Holy shit!

Crazy bastards, good way to end up dead when they heal up and come back for revenge. I wonder why they moved from that residence.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.