Back up Bike.- Mtbr.com

Thread: Back up Bike.

dcubed

Back up Bike.

So with the Superlight being out of servise all week, I am looking into a back up bike.
    And I am always trying to kill two birds with one stone, so the thought of having a bike to play with at Sandhill, or even try some super-d/downhill races, and for the probably only twice a year I would ever go to a ski-resort mtbing interested me. But, it would also have to retain the capability of being able to ride my normal rides (except for XC races)

My question is, does such a bike exist? Something to play downhill racer X on, and still pedal around china camp or blackdiamond mines in a pinch. Something even my non-riding wife could tool around on some campground trail, most likely me ride it and my wife on my superlight. (wow, that makes birds with one stone),

JRA
    Specialized Enduro? My size XL weighs in around 34 lbs, has 6" on both ends, Fox 36, basically a great descender. It climbs pretty well too. Also heard good things about the Versus Blitz II, but I haven't actually ridden one. The frame is about 3 lbs heavier than a similar-sized Enduro (11-ish as opposed to 8-ish), but from the couple of reports I've heard it's still good for the uphills.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam. (Translated: I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Save the Squirrels

Bullit

I'd say pickup a used Bullit of Craigslist. Get one set up 2x9 with a nice big fork. It'll be slow uphill, but he downhill will be hella fun.

Paper or plastic?
    Most 6" travel bikes should fit your bill, but you'd need two sets of wheels to make it work. 1 lighter set to pedal around, and a beefy set to take to the DH days. As usual, YMMV.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

I am lost, I'm no guide

Buy my Heckler!

I make you special deal!
    There is no food served in Santa Cruz, the rangers just bulldozed it all. - jschwart73

rider
    Jan 2005
    Yeti 575 or Intense 5.5 in 26" or soon 29" wheels (29er with 5.75"actual rear squish!). Very solid all around bikes.

aka baycat
    Get a Santa Cruz Heckler.

Backup bike. C'mon. Most people need an All Mountain, XC race, SS, beer run, etc bike.

new and improved
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSnob
    I'd say pickup a used Bullit of Craigslist. Get one set up 2x9 with a nice big fork. It'll be slow uphill, but he downhill will be hella fun.
    True dat! I second the used bullit. Depending on the fork and gearing, you can make it either a burly all mountain bike or a burly freeride bike. You should also be able to pick one up for not too much cash.

Mine is built for big game trails, and weighs about 42 lbs. With a two ring guide on I still occasionally squeeze out 4,000 foot climbing days on it. Descending is a blast.

My two cents.

Silence! I kill you!
    Unicycle. Very easy to maintain.
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker

I think I offered my bike before you found your Superlight

I still have a L '03 SC Blur (before they split into 3 different bikes - thicker tubing, similar geometry as the XC). Not exactly a DH rig but the frame can take a good beating without even blinking. It was taken out of commision and off of the market late last summer when the for dropout broke in half while my 54yo dad was riding it. Anywho after getting a reciept from an LBS buddy I was able to get the dropouts replaced and the fork fully rebuilt by FOX for just the cost of shipping. I am also planning on getting new wheels and disc brakes for it. $1200 with new wheels and brakes, $1000 with XT V's currently installed. PM if you're interested / for pics.

Travis
    Master of the unintentional track stand.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsimbu
    I still have a L '03 SC Blur (before they split into 3 different bikes - thicker tubing, similar geometry as the XC). Not exactly a DH rig but the frame can take a good beating without even blinking. It was taken out of commision and off of the market late last summer when the for dropout broke in half while my 54yo dad was riding it. Anywho after getting a reciept from an LBS buddy I was able to get the dropouts replaced and the fork fully rebuilt by FOX for just the cost of shipping. I am also planning on getting new wheels and disc brakes for it. $1200 with new wheels and brakes, $1000 with XT V's currently installed. PM if you're interested / for pics.

Travis
    You are correct, not a DH rig. The geometry on that bike would make it near dangerous (71* Head tube angle?) for DH competition for anyone minus mad skills. The OP stated a willingness to race DH with the bike.

For XC & trail riding it could be a great bike.

Mr. P

Coors, the american beer.
    i got too many

05 trek fuel ex9 ... this is my xc / am rig (heavy build 31 lbs) and i ride this most of the time.
    03 bianchi buss singlespeed. Ive been riding this at oroville most of the time cause its so muddy, and since the bb on the trek is probably shot, im probably gonna attempt north rim on it tuesday. Used to ride it to school till i got a nicer front fork and brake on it
    06 giant faith 3 .... dh but i was pedaling this sled around for a class field trip in lower bidwell .... 45 lbs
    07 free agent hellcat 24 .... ride this to school and around town.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

new and improved

Solid suggestions folks.

"the thought of having a bike to play with at Sandhill, or even try some super-d/downhill races, and for the probably only twice a year I would ever go to a ski-resort mtbing interested me. But, it would also have to retain the capability of being able to ride my normal rides"

And the winner answers so far are...

Yeti 575 or Intense 5.5 in 26" or soon 29" wheels (29er with 5.75"actual rear squish!).

'03 SC Blur

Santa Cruz Heckler

-------------

GMAFB! If you had the option, would any of you seriously choose a short-travel all mountain (<6") bike to ride DH at Northstar? This is a *second* bike we are talking about here. Outside of the Norcal board, the definition of 'downhill' would obviate all of these suggestions.

Read his question before throwing up advice that's merely "this is my favorite bike".

dcubed
    Thnx for all the help. I am liking the bullit idea. the pices look good on craigs list. just need a few more months to save

Members who have read this thread: 0