August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories

By popular demand, we are going to one post per week. Friday to Thursday, get a ride in and tell us about it.

Where did you go, what did you get done and what did you love?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_2568.jpg  

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I like it!

Long weekend. Yeah!!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Haha well I will blow it up first! 5:30 alarm, 6AM meet up. It was a cool 57 degrees and had an almost fall feel. Have we turned the corner on summer?

11.5 miles of gloriously peaceful singletrack only ruined by our hooting-n-hollering. It was spectacular. A lot of our recent trail work is paying off in spades and the trail is running pretty smooth (for it, lol). I recorded most of the run and here are few snaps. Only sucky thing was my buddy took a stick in the derailer and it blew out his cable, so we weren't quite able to do the full loop:

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-1lgr-1st-drop.jpg
    The new entrance to Lets Get Rowdy. Adds a few spicy tech moves into a steep gully slaloming around boulders.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-2chunky-d-loam-turn.jpg
    With speed the world always seems to rotate on its axis just a lil' bit

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-3chunky-rock-turn.jpg
    What we call the Chunky Downhill is split right in the middle by a fun ring around the boulder turn.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-4u2gd-2nd-rock.jpg
    The trail is purposefully routed to take full advantage of the plethora of rollable / dropable rocks.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-5before-hammer-drop.jpg
    Oh and jumpable as well!

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-6whats-over-there.jpg
    There are quite a few "whats around the corner.." moments on the trail.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-7feels-like-fall.jpg
    Some of the trees are already dropping leaves. Is it fall already?

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-8chasing-salamander1.jpg
    Chasing on the Salamander. This thing is big banked turns one after another ending with a punchy little twisty climb.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-9chasing-salamander2.jpg
    Look at the turn in the upper right corner. Oh so good

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-10chasing-salamander3.jpg
    I like the chasing silhouette on this pic!

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-11tower-d-chute.jpg
    Life is about choices. My buddy took the high road (easier but flowy), I took the low road aka the dirty scrambly chute. The obvious rock roll to big drop is on the menu for fixing up. The spine trail leading to it is super unstable and its a death drop into a gully (about 15 foot drop) filled with rocks. I might need to dig it down. Lay some pavers, then fill them in to get a nice solid and smooth run to that drop. It's big, way bigger than it looks in this pic.

Yeah, we are old, and I am sure some people will call this trail XC, but if you take the harder lines, the bigger parts of the drops, it has teeth removal opportunities abound. We had fun
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

fc

Favorite new bike jersey is this tech t-tee!!

Top of montebello!

White Oak trail may be the raddest midpen trail around.

Ready to stop bonking

IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Got a late start today, by the time I went down White Oak, it was HOT. Love that climb up Canyon, gets better every time.

mtbr member
    Did a big XC loop from my house, up montebello, then hit white oak, skyline ridge to the tree farm, chestnut, long ridge, gap, skyline trail, John Nicholas, then back home on pavement. Was expecting lots of dust, but wasnít too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    Woweee. Awesome effort
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator

Big time ride! What was the climb elevation on that one?

Iíd be up for a shuttle party if anyone is interested? Bella Vista, White Oak, Canyon, JNT etc a few times in the DHish direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Big time ride! What was the climb elevation on that one?

Iíd be up for a shuttle party if anyone is interested? Bella Vista, White Oak, Canyon, JNT a few times in the DHish direction.
    Garmin says 5564 ft elevation gain. I think that my biggest ride on a mountain bike.

Iíd be down for a shuttling in the area. Thereís probably a funner trail that wasnít mentioned. . . though probably best to not ride it with a sizable group.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Garmin says 5564 ft elevation gain. I think that my biggest ride on a mountain bike.

Iíd be down for a shuttling in the area. Thereís probably a funner trail that wasnít mentioned. . . though probably best to not ride it with a sizable group.

Yep. There's a really funner trail we could shuttle at night. We shall coordinate.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yep. There's a really funner trail we could shuttle at night. We shall coordinate.
    Count me in please

Moderator Moderator
    Here we go.....the MTBR NorCal Shuttle Gang, the scourge of MidPen. I could probably convince my wife to drive us a couple times if I buy her dinner at ByWater. My rig can hold 4 bikes and 8 people. I have a friend with a trailer that could hold 6-8 bikes. Plans are being drawn! More to come.

FC, RiderUp down for some this madness? Buehler? Anybody else?

mtbr member
    Sometimes I complain about my life, and if I am honest with myself, itís frickin ridiculous. I somehow, with the encouragement of an amazing wife, turned early life trauma and tragedy into passion and hellfire. As I get older there are quite a few ,ĒI have nothing to complain about moments.Ē This is one of them.

I rode early yesterday, worked a few hours, loaded up the truck, and drove a hundred to a VRBO waterfront on a lake for the entire long weekend:

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-9b589949-01b4-4721-b50f-3388ae808f6b.jpeg

I bring my son and my bikes, our friends son brings his, this morning we load up, and hit the trail by 8AM ish. Lake Mendocino is on order. The trail is exactly what I expected for a shoreline trail. Switchback ups and downs with short punchy climbs. Yup. I give it a 5/10. Worth doing but several fallen trees blocking lots of PO and bushes bigger than their britches.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-395a55c0-cae8-4ab3-a488-99f19cb67928.jpeg

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-63da9a10-c383-4158-99db-c886f50e39f7.jpeg

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-296f06b2-ff8e-4294-988b-74db6f739ba2.jpeg

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-084500c7-3d8d-40b6-8b87-fd4afcccadb7.jpeg

Swam during the ride, paddle boarded to a natural hot springs:

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-81835785-998f-44ca-9bd8-e983c6cb061e.jpeg

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-5ff89798-7f86-4f69-b81a-d4a1b95afbeb.jpg

My current view:

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-85e69dcd-368a-4f3d-be31-47a371f019cd.jpg

My life is pretty good, and for that I am thankful! Gotta get up, the tortillas is on the BBQ
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Lol not tortillas, TRI-TIP!!!!!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-394fa00e-7a9b-4716-9c73-d8df3985afbc.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

More pie please
    A Labor Day weekend tradition with me since 2006, Skeggs to Half Moon Bay...and back.

I started the day parked next to former mtbr moderator, Derek/"bustamove". Great to catch up. Here's a picture of his shadow:

I always imagine this section of Mananita Trail as a dried-up waterfall. I also imagine being able to ride up it one day. Such day dreams!

Virginia Mill Trail - what is that weird round thing?

The Virginia Mill bridge:

PSA "Purisima Creek Trail will be CLOSED for bridge construction between Grabtown Gulch Trail and Craig Britton Trail from September 3 through November 2019. Please plan your trip accordingly.":

A direct link of the map from the MidPen website:

Another Labor Day weekend tradition, the Kings Mountain Art Festival:

The Whittemore Gulch Trail:

Poplar Beach:

Pelicans in the air:

I never break chains but this is the second one this week! Today it was the master link which broke so it was an easy fix:

That happened about 200 yards from the top of the Grabtown Gulch climb. Ha, that is always a thrilling moment when the chain lets go! After the fix, everything was fine for the rest of the ride.

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

fc
    Iím riding at 7am. Sigh... friends
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    A Labor Day weekend tradition with me since 2006, Skeggs to Half Moon Bay...and back.

I started the day parked next to former mtbr moderator, Derek/"bustamove". Great to catch up. Here's a picture of his shadow:

I always imagine this section of Mananita Trail as a dried-up waterfall. I also imagine being able to ride up it one day. Such day dreams!

Virginia Mill Trail - what is that weird round thing?

The Virginia Mill bridge:

PSA "Purisima Creek Trail will be CLOSED for bridge construction between Grabtown Gulch Trail and Craig Britton Trail from September 3 through November 2019. Please plan your trip accordingly.":

A direct link of the map from the MidPen website:

Another Labor Day weekend tradition, the Kings Mountain Art Festival:

The Whittemore Gulch Trail:

Poplar Beach:

Pelicans in the air:

I never break chains but this is the second one this week! Today it was the master link which broke so it was an easy fix:

That happened about 200 yards from the top of the Grabtown Gulch climb. Ha, that is always a thrilling moment when the chain lets go! After the fix, everything was fine for the rest of the ride.

///Charlie
    Nice one. Stats?
    IPA will save America

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    I had a fun time hanging with Benzo from DTR. I dont ride stuff like this very often and so yea was pretty intimidated. Gonna go back on Monday and hang with another freeride crew and maybe see how i feel about going a little further on that Treeline...

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Nice one. Stats?
    It was a healthy 44 mile day. Long live long rides
    Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Favorite new bike jersey is this tech t-tee!!

We used to wear t-shirts like that years ago. They were called polyester and went for maybe $6. That Speshy "tech" version goes for $30. Of course, it's packed with proprietary features!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

Formerly dvo
    Downieville....camped at the Packer Saddle shuttle drop, rode a few laps of the mostly unknown Packer Saddle loop then did a few odd man out shuttles of Sunrise and finished our Friday with our man Randy doing an impressive bit of driving in his long wheelbase Taco all the way up to the Sierra Buttes fire lookout.

Saturday a couple more of the homies made it into town so I drove down from camp and we shuttled back up with Yuba, perfect weather for the climb up to Big Boulder and made it down to town for some pizza, beer and river soaking.

Back home now, skipped riding today as my arthritic wrist was really sore. Photos or it didn't happen? Drove over my iPhone friday evening so use your imagination.
    I'm the problem....

Moderator Moderator
    Tooling around Russian Ridge. Iíve ridden the Ancient Oaks extension up and down to the bottom lot probably 100 times. Iíve passed maybe two or three riders in that time. Donít know why more people donít ride that little trail. Itís a very nice little gem.

Paving paradise continues up to Borel Hill.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 09-02-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Formerly dvo
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    Downieville....camped at the Packer Saddle shuttle drop, rode a few laps of the mostly unknown Packer Saddle loop then did a few odd man out shuttles of Sunrise and finished our Friday with our man Randy doing an impressive bit of driving in his long wheelbase Taco all the way up to the Sierra Buttes fire lookout.

Saturday a couple more of the homies made it into town so I drove down from camp and we shuttled back up with Yuba, perfect weather for the climb up to Big Boulder and made it down to town for some pizza, beer and river soaking.

Back home now, skipped riding today as my arthritic wrist was really sore. Photos or it didn't happen? Drove over my iPhone friday evening so use your imagination.

I'm the problem....

Formerly dvo
    My friends handled the photos

I'm the problem....

fc

7am rally
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbrdan View Post
    My friends handled the photos

Amazing dan-0!!!!!!
    IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Beautiful day at Skeggs. Trails are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    By popular demand, we are going to one post per week. Friday to Thursday, get a ride in and tell us about it.

Where did you go, what did you get done and what did you love?

200 riders bellied up to Rose to Toad's yesterday. My first. What a blast of riding (and pushing)! 60+ miles, 8k+' ascent, and of course, Tahoe's famous rough surfaces and elevation. Happy, non-competitive vibe. Good conditions, if a bit warm midday.

Ran into cragnshag out there and chewed a little fat. Nice to see ya, B...I know you were on a timeline.

Thanks to all volunteers and TAMBA for putting it on. Thanks, riders, for the vibe, and congrats to all the hard chargers and finishers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    200 riders bellied up to Rose to Toad's yesterday. My first. What a blast of riding (and pushing)! 60+ miles, 8k+' ascent, and of course, Tahoe's famous rough surfaces and elevation. Happy, non-competitive vibe. Good conditions, if a bit warm midday.

Ran into cragnshag out there and chewed a little fat. Nice to see ya, B...I know you were on a timeline.

Thanks to all volunteers and TAMBA for putting it on. Thanks, riders, for the vibe, and congrats to all the hard chargers and finishers.
    I even snapped a couple pics...

mtbr member
    Crappy video rendering of some of highlights of Friday's ride. Not sure why it is so pixelated but in 4K. Need to check the rendering settings in Resolve evidently but I am too lazy to rerender right now!

After watching this, my son's answer to everything the whole weekend was, "TRIM THAT BUSH!"
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

fc
    Ahh, we're still on this thread. Cool. I have no car so I've just been riding from home. My wife took over my Tacoma til I buy her something.

Searching for XC90s and 4runners and cleaning the backyard.
    IPA will save America

Wēk SŰs
    Beautiful day at Skeggs. Trails are in great shape.
    You're in the tribe? Got rid of the SC HT?

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    You're in the tribe? Got rid of the SC HT?
    My son started riding the HTLT and took it over! So I bought a Yeti. First one I ever owned, love it so far.

He plays ice hockey and was state speed skating champion couple years ago. So, has legs and lungs that seem to never get tired. Fun to watch him pass CX guys on that heavy tank!

mtbr member
    New bike day yesterday for me. Picked it up Saturday, applied some frame protection on Sunday and went to Skeggs Monday. Weather was great.
    Personally, I dig the place and now I will even more so with a better pedaling bike. The lower section is a mini Endor at times.
    August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_6170d.jpg
    August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_6175.jpg
    August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-img_6172.jpg

mtbr member

Drive by visit to UCSC

To show the significant other how to ride steeper stuff. Mission accomplished.
    August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-29a1bcf2-5d48-404e-baeb-2ac7a651acb6.jpgAugust 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-66014c97-889f-428c-845b-386befba1542.jpg

mtbr member
    Sun ride ..Hoots and Scott's Flat 2x. First time there ..nice trails. Hoot is fun but short but easy to do loops. Nice.to have the store there. Scott's flat upper is funner than lower.

Easy to do it in the am, break for lunch and hit Auburn on way home and Ikedas!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    12 miles locally under surprisingly good conditions including a short drizzle that felt like mana from heaven. Two "firsts" for the ride, one for me, one for my riding partner.

He let the big drop in Let's Get Rowdy get in his head from the moment we included it. I knew he had it in him and today he said he wanted to watch me to up close. I dropped it twice then went over to a nearby rock to film his first time ...

Styled it!

I wasn't really feeling all that strong after multiple dig sessions over the last few days, but I decided to really give the Tower Climb all I had. It's not hard, but we usually do it half way through our ride and I'm a bit tired by then. Its kind of hard to explain why its tough but the #1 reason is a few of the corners, particularly at the very top, get a little loose right at the apex which makes the crux come after many small switch backs and power throwdowns:

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-tower-climb.jpg

Finally got it. I was pretty beat at the top and suffered for the next few miles trying to recoup from the effort. Never-the-less, I persisted I also manage to pull my best "jump". I boosted the last jump on the semi-jump line and could tell I got more hang time than usual:

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-boost.jpg

All and all, a great ride. It's only supposed to get cooler from here on to the weekend!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline35 View Post
    ///Charlie
    Thanks for sharing. Do you ride Tunitas Creek Rd down to the beach?

Back in the '90s, my friend and I tried to bushwhack our way to the beach on our bikes after the Purisima trails heading down the hill toward the ocean ran out. That went about as well as you can imagine, we probably both went OTB at least once before hiking it out.

More pie please
    Quote Originally Posted by b rock View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Do you ride Tunitas Creek Rd down to the beach?...
    I ride Tunitas Creek Road for a mile or two then go into Purisma through gate PC04 and descend the Grabtown Gulch Trail.

August 30 - September 5, 2019 Weekly Ride Stories-strava-map.jpg
    Long live long rides

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ How many days does it take to ride this?