Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report

A bit chilly in many parts of NorCal this weekend. Won't be long before summer is gone.

Where are you guys riding?

Photos and reports appreciated.

Max Temps

Min Temps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-08-08-8.20.53-pm.jpg  

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-08-08-8.21.07-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Iím not a morning person, but Iíll get up to ride. It was absolutely glorious this morning! 8 miles / 1.2K as my friend had to get home early. Rolling rocks in the pink glow...

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-d57f16e7-3efa-4f87-95d0-a4d772bee473.jpeg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Never done that before... If only I had a bike that didnít weigh 35.6lbs and have 160mm of travel maybe this would have been a little more enjoyable. But successfully hit every trail in the park. Most fun part was trying to plan out the route as I went to limit as much overlap as possible.

Moderator Moderator
    It's been a good riding month, gotta get another chicklet today! And bigger chicklets next month as I ramp up for the Old Growth Classic.

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-08-10-7.30.20-pm.png

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    Never done that before... If only I had a bike that didnít weigh 35.6lbs and have 160mm of travel maybe this would have been a little more enjoyable.
    Take those DHF boat anchors off and put some faster rolling tires on and that ride becomes much, much easier.

Hella Olde
    At Fort Ord Creekside lot there was a gang of MORCA(sp?) Trail builders, at least 24 Sheriff's Search and Rescue team members training and I locked my key in my truck before my greatly shortened ride. Both lots were over-capacity.

mtbr member
    Never done that before... If only I had a bike that didnít weigh 35.6lbs and have 160mm of travel maybe this would have been a little more enjoyable. But successfully hit every trail in the park. Most fun part was trying to plan out the route as I went to limit as much overlap as possible.
    That is a beat down. Seems like that ride would be more vertical feet and miles. I ride a loop there that is 14.5 miles and 3000 vertical feet.

Name:  ST Big Loop.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  49.3 KB

More pie please

08/10/2019 Skeggs Point Ľ Gods Trail ... and back

Save The Manzanita on Manzanita Trail, ECdM.

A couple HMB beachscapes.

The view from Gods.

Where does this go???

Stickers.

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Seeing some of the bigger throw down rides here, I decided to follow suit! (Distance 29.23 mi / Elev Gain 2,506 ft).

Started with a little bit of this and that, connected both parts of my system via much abbreviated sections, then rode across town and connected another system. On the way back, found a jump line on city bike trail margins I had heard vague rumors about (true), then came back on streets to hit a mostly dirt section I call the "rainy day loop" since it, obviously, can be rode in the rain.

It was hot and I'm frickin tired!

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_9119.jpg

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_e9127.jpg

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_9123.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I went to Downieville for the first time yesterday. After riding all the way up we found out that everyone else drove up. Who could have known?

https://www.strava.com/activities/2608525030

mtbr member
    Yesterday while in Truckee went up Sawtooth then the fireroad to top of Big Chief (lower), down BC and down the other side's loop of Sawtooth. Think I might have been a chump for the uphill to BC - lot's of vehicles w/ bikes passed me going up, hah. A no-bike truck didn't slow down and dusted me pretty good. Got a nice pic higher up.

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_6041.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Take those DHF boat anchors off and put some faster rolling tires on and that ride becomes much, much easier.
    Iíve even got a Maxxgrip assguy on the front right now. Which is definitely slower, and I think even heavier than a DHF.

Iíll just stick to trails I enjoy that are -30% or more grade so these DH casing grippy tires actually come in handy.

Moderator Moderator
    Iíve even got a Maxxgrip assguy on the front right now. Which is definitely slower, and I think even heavier than a DHF.

Iíll just stick to trails I enjoy that are -30% or more grade so these DH casing grippy tires actually come in handy.
    A good plan indeed. For kicks you should borrow a hard tail XC race bike one day. You'll be amazed at how strong a climber you are after riding those slow tires and slack bikes.

(slight return)
    Rode HITG this morning. One 8 foot patch of snow, otherwise clear and in great shape. INSANE number of butterflies!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slide mon View Post
    Rode HITG this morning. One 8 foot patch of snow, otherwise clear and in great shape. INSANE number of butterflies!

Hey man, donít you know HitG is shit?? Lol, awesome picture! Did you try the North Culvert Connector by chance? I want to hear from someone who has done it:

Northside 80 Culvert Connector on Trailforks
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/no...ert-connector/
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Hey man, donít you know HitG is shit?? Lol, awesome picture! Did you try the North Culvert Connector by chance? I want to hear from someone who has done it:

I actually do think it is one of the most over rated trails out there, but still had fun on it with my kid today. Don't know about the connector trail.

(slight return)
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Hmmm, if that is singletrack that could get rid of a lot of the suck on HITG

the half breed devil
    mt tam was a tad cooler than normal, except at the summit. eldridge grade is either slippery on one line or chunky on the other. the rattlesnakes are still out, too. rode up on one sunning in the middle of HHEK...

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_5888.jpg

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_5891.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    A good plan indeed. For kicks you should borrow a hard tail XC race bike one day. You'll be amazed at how strong a climber you are after riding those slow tires and slack bikes.
    Yeah. I definitely go back and forth about getting another bike. But then I realize I can barley keep up with maintaining the current bike I own.

And I honestly donít think I even have a friend that owns an xc bike. Just road/cross bikes and full Enduro rigs.

fc
    head minion Administrator

Sierra Buttes

Up close

From afar
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Got some rain, hail, and cold wind on Elwell Saturday. Only one snow patch left, it is on the steeper drop in. Can ride the whole upper rock garden now.

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_4682.jpg
    Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_4683.jpg
    Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_4684.jpg

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Been Ridin This...

Castellano Zorro, for the last week or so. JC left town and left me his ride to compare to what I've been riding the past couple of years.

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-zorro_2-rot.jpg

I ride Annadel every few days to the tune of three to four days a week, if life doesn't get too much in the way. What I can say so far is that it doesn't climb quite as well as what I'm used to, but I'm pretty sure it is due to the current setup not being completely tailored to me. It can be dialed in, no doubt.

When I point it down hill, I see what happens when you ride a longer travel, modern geo., well thought out bike. My confidence is way higher than on my cross-country oriented short travel SweetSpot. I rode Spring Creek down yesterday faster than I ever have. The chunk, ruts and roots just didn't phase me like normal. I could get used to this, for sure.

I know that URT is pretty universally despised in the cycling community. I have to say however, that the slacker head angle, longer travel and modern shock valving, seem to fix the issues. All the things the critics lament about the design's shortcomings, just don't seem to hold water.

Cheers all!
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    That is a beat down. Seems like that ride would be more vertical feet and miles. I ride a loop there that is 14.5 miles and 3000 vertical feet.

Name:  ST Big Loop.JPG
Views: 68
Size:  49.3 KB
    You couldn't pay me to ride that place again! So not fun. I guess some people like it though? You can get a similar miles to elevation in the redwoods of Skeggs. much more "enjoyable" IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    You couldn't pay me to ride that place again! So not fun. I guess some people like it though? You can get a similar miles to elevation in the redwoods of Skeggs. much more "enjoyable" IMO.
    Nope. Hate it. But I live 1.5 miles away, so it is better than sitting in traffic to ride sometimes.

Moderator Moderator
    Back to the dark side for a while. Been riding flats for a few years now, going back to clipless for awhile.

Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_2500.jpg

mtbr member
    Iím never going back to clipless. Flats or die!!!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dp400 View Post
    I like it because I like technical rocky trails and it is close. Much better than flow trails. It is a beating though. I am more spent after riding there than anywhere else in the area.

mtbr member
    Amazing weekend of riding..
    Sat - Downieville and Mills Peak..got rained on and rewarded with hero dirt in Aug!!

Sun- 2 runs on Mt Hough with Phill aka Ride SFO!!

Amazing weekend with friends and laughs!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Did PCP and Angel Dust for the 2nd time. Much better than last time but I still have to walk way more than I should. Nice to delve in deep to the chunk every year, puts Santa Cruz living in perspective.

Dan made easy work of it and it was worth the side bar to check out the Gargoyles:
    Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-gargup.jpg
    Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_5845.jpg
    Me Pre Chunkalunk
    Name:  pcp2 (2).JPG
Views: 32
Size:  92.7 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 9-11, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_0813-2-.jpg
    Shuteye peak up via the jeep trail, down the steep trail to Blind squirrel, to 007 on my almost new bike. Dry and dusty as might be expected, but still quite fun. Started early and saw 2 cars, 1 tard cart and 1 bicycle the whole day.