Aug 28-29 weekend ride report- Mtbr.com
    fc
    head minion Administrator

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report

Let's hear it. Let's see it.

fc

Uncle
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=647196

Sadly, that's all I got. Had my camera, but meh -- didn't bother. Northstar sure looked sweet. Duly noted for 2011.

mtb'er
    40 miles of Western States adventure riding
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...94&postcount=3

mtbr member
    I did my longest mountain bike ride so far on Sunday.. 90 miles! Back when we did the MTB Tour de Peninsula, nobody actually completed the whole A loop course. JT had done it previously and mudworm has done it (twice!) since the day so I thought I'd better add my name to the list...

It was a long, fun day - surprisingly uneventful given the mechanical issues I've been having recently. Most fun was in Skeggs - trails are in such great condition and the weather was perfect. OK, other fun was passing some slow roadies on Caņada Rd and hearing them "Great.. passed by a f***ing mountan bike"

I didn't snap too many pictures since I only had my iPhone with me, but..

Rest stop in Skyline Ridge (just down from the Skyline crossover from the Grizzly Flat climb

Taking another bike to eat at Horseshoe Lake

Exiting CM-08

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Me, I rode from my house in Berkeley, up Old Tunnel, south on Skyline into Redwood, down West Ridge, along the road for a bit, into Chabot, up MacDonald, across Parkridge, down the Skyline singletrack, into Chabot again at Grass Valley, and out of Chabot at Estudillo, BART home. I meant to go to the marina, but got lost, then realized I was exhausted. Great day for me.

screamer

Xmas Valley, SLT

Did a short, but really fun ride on Saturday in Christmas Valley off rte 50/89 near South Lake Tahoe. Definitely felt the elevation trying to muscle over all the trials-y granite step ups (shorthand: I suck at step-ups). But what a great trail! Great flow on the last downhill section. Will definitely do this again, and maybe try to loop it in with Hawley Grade if I can figure out the connection to the trailhead on 50 (ie: without actually having to ride on 50). Anyone done this before? Maybe some of you Strawberry epic backwoods types?

Other tidbits: Lost my cyclometer, so if anyone finds a VDO there's a case of beer in it for you. First real trail ride with flats and 5.10s, but too early to say if I like it or not.

Oh, and photos don't do it justice...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-img_0750_sm.jpg  

On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    I did my longest mountain bike ride so far on Sunday.. 90 miles!

Are you crazy? Hey, waterdog tonight at 6pm at the Carlmont dead end.

fc

mtbr member
    Thunder Mountain and Armstong/Connector/Corral Saturday. Barrett Jeep trail Sun (no pics).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-tm1.jpg  

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-tm2.jpg  

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-tm3.jpg  

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-tm4.jpg  

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-tm5.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    Will definitely do this again, and maybe try to loop it in with Hawley Grade if I can figure out the connection to the trailhead on 50 (ie: without actually having to ride on 50). Anyone done this before? Maybe some of you Strawberry epic backwoods types?
    http://www.mtbguru.com/trip/show_sta...lley-to-toad-s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Are you crazy? Hey, waterdog tonight at 6pm at the Carlmont dead end.

fc
    Perhaps.. or unemployed, in any case (same thing?)

BTW, could someone with PO immunity remove that PO branch sticking right across the big dip in the Chaparral Trail? It got me a beauty the first time.

Should see you tonight!

screamer
    Thanks! It was that first Meyers Rd. part I couldn't quite get straight. Actually rode part of Mr.Toad's by accident this Sat., but only realized that just now. Turned around before the descent (what a dumbass!). First time in the area & still figuring it out... time to invest in a gps or some half-decent maps.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    Demo with some of the Mices and friends. Ran into Rafael and other MTBRs whose names I don't know.

No pictures, but 2 laps plus bonus material. 4 of the 6 of us were on singlespeed. My legs were cooked at the end.

It's the axle
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpick
    Your ride.
    Wow. This is sort of the essence of it. Why I love riding.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member

first time riding Saratoga Gap

My colleague and her husband showed me around Saratoga Gap. This past Saturday. I saw a gentleman wrapped in blanket when we came back to the parking lot. Apparently, he had a broken collarbone.

Starting from 9 and 35, the sense of anticipation turned to bit of a dread seeing technical stuff once I got into the wooded section. I wasn't too proud to get hurt, so I walked difficult parts. Being a noob, there were many difficult spots for me. After the initial difficult part, the rest was very much enjoyable.

I really need to work on track stand, bunny hop, tight turns, looks at the trail not the cliff, and generally just plain relax! Being able to ride Saratoga Gap without having to get off my bike will take a LONG time...

Here are some pics that I took.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-0828001011sm.jpg  

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-0828001011a_sm.jpg  

Aug 28-29 weekend ride report-0828001027sm.jpg  

'09 Giant Anthem X, 26er; '14 Lynskey Ridgeline-650b

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Skeggs 8/27 MROSD 8/29

8/27 Skeggs - Rode the Skeggs portion of Skyline35's Skeggs-HMB-Skeggs ride. Was planning to connect on through Purisima as well, but I bailed after 2hrs10min. I'm still building my endurance and strength for that effort! Great ride 15.77miles and unknown vertical feet. Is it just me or do the miles at Skeggs seem WAY longer than riding in other places?

CM02>>Methuselah>>Manzanita>>Timberview>>Crosscut>>Crossover>>Blue Blossom>>Lawrence Creek>>Virginia Mill>>South Leaf>>North Leaf>>Resolution>>Fir>>Sierra Madrone>>CM02

Note: Riding South Leaf and parts of North Leaf in this direction...does anyone do this without getting off the bike at some point and hiking?

8/29 MROSD-Montebello-Long Ridge-Skyline Ridge-Russian Ridge-Coal Creek - 25miles 3hrs. 4,200ft vertical This is my staple weekly XC training ride.

Canyon>>Bella Vista-Summit BlackMtn>>Bella Vista>>Canyon>>Grizzly Flat>>Long Ridge>> Peters Creek>>Long RIdge>>Bay Area Ridge Trail (Skyline Ridge)>>SR04>>Skyline35>>Bay Area Ridge Trail (Russian Ridge)>>Ancient Oaks>>Alder Spring>>Hawk Trail>>Skyline 35>>Crazy Petes>>Alpine Rd>>PageMill Rd>>MB04>>White Oak

enjoying the scenery
    first time riding Saratoga Gap
    Me too! Was definitely the most technical stuff I have ridden. It's mostly fire roads in my backyard (Diablo.) From 35/9 we too passed poor Martin (see recently posted thread) just as they were approaching 9. Lots of fun riding Gap, and I did dismount a few times as well. Into Long Ridge I starting doing pretty good on the switchbacks. Returning through Gap I rolled the rock features a little better, but want to go back and work on that some more. I hear you Light_Monkey, going to take some practice, if ever, to ride that trail all the way. Going back on Monday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I went up to Northstar for the first time over the weekend. The trails were amazing and I feel spoiled now. I'm not sure I'm can go back to pedaling for my turns after getting to ride a lift. My buddy and I had great times on the trails and Friday night in Truckee. Thankfully we both got out in one piece and didn't break anything on us or our bikes.

At the top of the lift ready to hit the first trail of the weekend.

Rock garden on K.T.

Pinch flats for days. And days. The two of us went through 6 tubes.

Wall ride at the top of Little Trees

Little Trees trail

My buddy also on the Little Trees trail.

Ladder on Flameout

Northstar

I can't wait to go back and hit some features I passed on, ride Livewire a few dozen more times, and get stupid out on Sticks and Stones & Boondocks.

It's the axle
    I totally love that Wall ride! Yeah!
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Chased the little guy around: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=647123
    Don't harsh my mello

Feral Roadie
    Spent 5hrs in Redwood Park paying my dues to get ready for the TS50 in 11 Days. I think I did every trail in both directions at least once.

- Booker C. Bense

Members who have read this thread: 0