Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report

It's going to be hot this weekend in most of NorCal, but not in Santa Cruz.

Tomorrow is the last day to do any transfers for the Old Growth Classic.
    Old Growth Classic ‚Äď 2019

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-screen-shot-2019-08-22-8.53.02-pm.jpg  

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Tallboy 4. Impressed since it the most supple and capable 120mm bike Iíve tried

IPA will save America

Moderator Moderator
    Great ride in Wilder this morning with two cool cats! First time I've ridden the West Englesman re-route, very, very well done. Great morning for a ride; some great calamari and conversation afterwards.

mtb'er

Tri-Weekly Weather Report for Folsom Lake

Pretty warm here this weekend. Go git sum in the morning for most favorable temps!!!

Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-capture9.jpg

mtbr member
    Quick loop with mtbsavant at jmp today

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Quick loop with mtbsavant at jmp today

Oh my gosh... thatís awesome! Way to git sum!! How was the temperature? (Asking for a friend).

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Oh my gosh... thatís awesome! Way to git sum!! How was the temperature? (Asking for a friend).
    Are you trolling everyone here?
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    11.2 miles this morning with my regular riding buddy and two new guys to the trail. Average temp of 63 degrees. It was glorious No pictures, but we ended up with 3 KOMs. We were laying it down! I guess riding in a pack just helps keep the speed high.

Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-strava-24aug2019.jpg

I met one of the new guys two weeks ago as he rode down a hiking portion of the system. I waved at him,we chatted for a bit and I told him that he is not riding the right stuff, lol. It's cool because he is a younger rider affiliated with local highschool MTB team. My guess is they (the HS team) will start riding it for some of their training rides.

I think most people have no idea of the trail sitting right beneath their nose. Linking everything together in sequence so you ride it in the optimized direction can be a bit tricky in this system since the cow trails are everywhere so you need to know where and how to link them for an optimal ride.
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Are you trolling everyone here?
    Yes and no. MTBRís WRR is now my go-to source for weather reports. Much more timely and robust than my morning newspaper. Thank you!

P.s. the weather in South Lake Tahoe was delightful today!

Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-img_2431.jpg

(Okay... Iíll stop )

More pie please

08/24/2019 El Corte de Madera Ľ Half Moon Bay Ľ El Corte de Madera

I meant to start at Skeggs Point but when I got there I found that CalTrans had closed it for a roadwork project. This shot is over my shoulder after turning around:

(I started from the ECdM parking lot.)

That is the location of the former gate to the top of Steam Donkey. MidPen used equipment to remove the trail bench. Everything above Oljon is truly gone.

Blue Blossom trail, contrasting trail styles:

An old, old scar.

When you ride out to the ocean, well, you post a photo...

A plant.

Long live long rides

fc
    Nice Skyline Charlie
    IPA will save America

fc
    Drove kid to school in SoCal.

his dorm is sweet

Had a party with SoCal bike crew!!!

Flew home for weekend rides
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Only thing missing there fc was a quick ride in SoCal!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Short Skeggs ride yesterday (my first there in over a year). Weather was perfect in the shade, two small puddles and the rest of the trail dry but not super dusty. I noticed some posts/signs indicating to stay on trail where there were little ramps up the sidewall, seemed new...like they are trying to keep the trail more of a single lane hiking trail. Now that I honk of it there were many more hikers out there than I remember in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Only thing missing there fc was a quick ride in SoCal!
    Yeah these are all my SoCal riding buddies. Their local trail is Santiago Oaks
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Last chance to ride before I spend next week for work in San Fran. 7.5 miles after 10AM. Wasn't the best idea but took the e-bike to make it less of a struggle with the heat. Getting ready to soak up a little rock drop ...

Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-rock-drop-mtbr.jpg
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cachaulo View Post
    Short Skeggs ride yesterday (my first there in over a year). Weather was perfect in the shade, two small puddles and the rest of the trail dry but not super dusty. I noticed some posts/signs indicating to stay on trail where there were little ramps up the sidewall, seemed new...like they are trying to keep the trail more of a single lane hiking trail. Now that I honk of it there were many more hikers out there than I remember in the past.

Lots of hikers on Sierra Moreno, but I don't usually see many lower. Actually saw Tomas Hertl of the San Jose Sharks hiking there a few weeks ago, pretty cool.

Hey, what ever became of my old Kuat bike rack that you were going to cut up? Curious to see what you've made of it.

Moderator Moderator
    About once or twice a week I follow my daughter around trails on bike while she runs/trains for high school cross country. Yesterday, I decided to make it more challenging for me, so I pedaled the entire 8 mile run loop with the dropper seat down. About 1000 feet of climbing. Pretty goofy looking, but man that was a work out. Holy shit my legs are sore today!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Yeah these are all my SoCal riding buddies. Their local trail is Santiago Oaks
    Santiago Oaks is fun. Nice example where the community and local governments support mtbing.

Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 5k bike 50cent legs View Post
    Lots of hikers on Sierra Moreno, but I don't usually see many lower. Actually saw Tomas Hertl of the San Jose Sharks hiking there a few weeks ago, pretty cool.

Hey, what ever became of my old Kuat bike rack that you were going to cut up? Curious to see what you've made of it.
    I havenít fully taken it apart and built anything but it is still holding my project bikes from falling on the kids. Iíll let you know when itís fully installed!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Climbed up to sand point after hanging on to the rear wheel of a very competent local female single speeder and her friend who cracked open an ipa then smoked me going down the fun stuff until I had to bail out.

mtbr member
    This is a little off topic but it did happen over the weekend and does involve riding.

I posted about shuttling in the bay area yesterday and got totally flamed by some dude who appears to be purist shaming me. I have some buddies arranging a 50th b-day weekend ride. They are not big riders but like to get out. I ride all the time and shuttling around the bay isn't really on my radar. In fact I was surprised to see that there's even a service at all. The one in Aptos. But I thought I'd help out with what they want to do.

I screen shotted his response below.

Anyone know what this is about? There's plenty of sh!t talking that flies around here but this was outright antagonizing. And coming from a total lack of knowledge of my riding background.

Lose some weight?? I'm a shrimp that wears XS everything....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    This is a little off topic but it did happen over the weekend and does involve riding.

I posted about shuttling in the bay area yesterday and got totally flamed by some dude who appears to be purist shaming me. I have some buddies arranging a 50th b-day weekend ride. They are not big riders but like to get out. I ride all the time and shuttling around the bay isn't really on my radar. In fact I was surprised to see that there's even a service at all. The one in Aptos. But I thought I'd help out with what they want to do.

Anyone know what this is about? There's plenty of sh!t talking that flies around here but this was outright antagonizing. And coming from a total lack of knowledge of my riding background.

Sorry you got this response, gotta filter out the noise and focus on positivity. There are lots of people on these forums who are happy to help and that person is just being nasty for no reason. The joys of online forums! Iíve been on them for decades and even the best forums have people like this around...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cachaulo View Post
    Sorry you got this response, gotta filter out the noise and focus on positivity. There are lots of people on these forums who are happy to help and that person is just being nasty for no reason. The joys of online forums! Iíve been on them for decades and even the best forums have people like this around...

Yeah I tried to be diplomatic in my response instead of lowering myself to his untainted, purist level.

fc

Very sorry to hear that. Keep posting.

Some folks hate everything that is not exactly what they do. Very sad.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Yeah that's a bummer for sure I just assume people like that are angry about their own life and are looking to take it out on others. As mentioned above, focus on the positivity!
    2019 Canyon Strive CF 8
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2

mtbr member
    As much as I'd like to think we're all one big happy family it's not like that. Which is a bummer but understandable. If you think of the difference between a straight XC rider and a gravity rider they are completely different worlds. Although if you watch Fast Life with Kate Courtney and Finn Iles on Redbull TV you have two people at opposite ends of the spectrum hanging out and helping each other improve their game.

I don't really care about some dude popping off like that but the thing that bugs me is railing like that with zero clue about my background or me. According to his profile I started MTB riding 7 years before him. . . In 1989.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    As much as I'd like to think we're all one big happy family it's not like that. Which is a bummer but understandable. If you think of the difference between a straight XC rider and a gravity rider they are completely different worlds. Although if you watch Fast Life with Kate Courtney and Finn Iles on Redbull TV you have two people at opposite ends of the spectrum hanging out and helping each other improve their game.

I don't really care about some dude popping off like that but the thing that bugs me is railing like that with zero clue about my background or me. According to his profile I started MTB riding 7 years before him. . . In 1989.

The internet is a crazy beast, riding out here for five years I cannot even recall having one bad encounter with another biker in person. Some of these folks may be the type to harbor such feelings and only spew them aloud from the comfort of their computer or phone. Don't let the miserable people succeed in injecting you with their misery, just let it roll off ya as someone who acts like that is not worth your time in any sense.

And on a more positive light, had an excellent ride out in Santa Cruz as per usual. Ran into quite a few folks I didn't expect to see and being that I love the dust conditions are ideal.
    Aug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-img_3957.jpgAug 23-25, 2019 Weekend Trails and Ride Report-img_3956.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ 100%. Anonymity on the interwebs is like Miracle Grow for anger and antisocial behavior. In person, most people are perfectly good people.
    Last edited by 5k bike 50cent legs; 08-26-2019 at 10:12 PM.

fc
    So this guy huh....
    IPA will save America