Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report

Some great weather again across much of NorCal.

Downieville Classic this weekend, who's there?

Downieville Classic Mountain Bike Race and Festival

Max Temps:

Min Temps:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-08-01-11.19.45-pm.jpg  

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-screen-shot-2019-08-01-11.19.31-pm.jpg  

fc
    head minion Administrator
    i'm home this weekend. 3 days of riding starting today. Want to be deadly efficient though with time.

Wrenching a lot, selling a lot of old stuff.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Wrenching a lot, selling a lot of old stuff.
    Are/will u be posting your stuff for sale anywhere?

Moderator Moderator
    Put Shimano XT 4 piston brakes on my new Yeti. I had forgotten how much I like Shimano brakes. Going for a very easy spin today after a mega day yesterday following my friend who is an ultra athlete.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    Are/will u be posting your stuff for sale anywhere?
    i am not sure. They're all junk. Over 6 months old
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    In Washington state for a wedding. Got the green light from the Mrs to ride. Picked up a Trance at the local shop and rode Beacon Hill in Spokane. Man they have some bad ass trails and ones WAY over my pay grade. Seriously some of the biggest drops and jumps I have ever seen and I have seen the pro line at Skyline Park in Rotorua which has been used for pro slope style.

Anyways, hit a lot of the classic blues and a few blacks and had a blast! If you’re ever in or near Spokane Washington, ride it!

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-f9287b1f-e5e3-4d4d-9c68-bf9d2bfcc5fd.jpeg

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-0cc9c76f-dd4d-4c6b-8536-ba72c9dc88b4.jpeg

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-3e1ecb0a-2036-4642-906c-56452e8db726.jpeg

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-0a8053bb-7146-4159-bfe9-ba45ca4b12a1.jpeg

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-61b45b5a-2d52-42b0-a414-99c0a8a1eb6f.jpeg

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-2b8762b1-2b0b-41a1-a582-1783597ede2a.jpeg

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-2eea0225-0ac4-4261-982d-006aec8a9081.jpeg
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (ip)
    2020 FTS 2020 (ip)

Moderator Moderator
    ^^^ #LivingTheDream

mtbr member
    A rider (56 years old) crashed in front of me at Calero and had to be transported out. It was on Lisa Killough trail going towards the lake (1/4 mile before the gate). He had just passed me 20 seconds earlier and wasn't going really fast (maybe 10mph). Then he turned a blind corner and apparently had some sort of collision with a couple riders going the opposite direction or standing there.

I didn't see the crash, but when I turned the corner he was on the ground and the couple were standing there. I think he may of crashed to avoid the couple. It is possible they could of been just standing there when he rounded the corner. He said he was in a lot of pain and thought his leg was dislocated or broken. However to me, it didn't look dislocated because his leg was in alignment, but I really don't know the extent of his injuries. He did have some minor road rash on the inside of his left leg which is an odd location.

The couple called for paramedics and they stayed with him. I went to the Calero trailhead to point the paramedics in the right direction but they were on the ball and knew where to go. They showed up in about 20 minutes. Not sure how they got to him and transported him out because that part of Lisa Killough trail is all singletrack. There was a helicopter overhead even before the crash, but not sure if the helicopter transported him out.

mtbr member
    Rode JMP today and the marine layer has kept moisture in some areas! Hero dirt I. Aug?! Big Trees, sunset and orchard all primo..

Taking out a sb150 to UC tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

fc
    Ride o clock
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    FYI there's a trail running event happening in Henry Cowell/UC. Main area to watch out for looks to be UCon, so maybe save your KOM attempt on that segment for another day...

Santa Cruz Trail Run | Trail Race | Pacific Coast San Francisco Bay Area | Ultramarathon 10K Half Marathon 50K 50 Mile
    https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.1...Course-Map.pdf

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    FYI there's a trail running event happening in Henry Cowell/UC. Main area to watch out for looks to be UCon, so maybe save your KOM attempt on that segment for another day...

Santa Cruz Trail Run | Trail Race | Pacific Coast San Francisco Bay Area | Ultramarathon 10K Half Marathon 50K 50 Mile
    https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.1...Course-Map.pdf
    There’s a time to go fast, UCon and Emma aren’t it.

mtbr member
    Duh. But I also only say that in semi-jest... I've lost count of how many descending idiots I've practically gotten hit by on that climb.

Moderator Moderator

Duh. But I also only say that in semi-jest... I've lost count of how many descending idiots I've practically gotten hit by on that climb.
    I was on a trail walk with MBOSC Trail Crew Leaders once and saw an avoidable accident.

Ariolimax columbianus

a sad reason not to ride that trail on weekends. where's the courtesy?! got some Thursday, so good for now, loving dat fog layer.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Ride o clock
    What tires?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    a sad reason not to ride that trail on weekends. where's the courtesy?!
    I know right? All it would take is some incident like 5k mentioned happening to the wrong person to have the powers that be decide to close down access to mtb on that trail completely (which would also be the logical first step if they really wanted to curb unsanctioned trail use up there). That's really why I mentioned it, when events like this or the occasional equestrian one happen we're even more under the microscope. I'm surprised it wasn't on the mbosc IG and here saying "hey this event is happening tomorrow, if you're out there riding please be on your best behavior and don't give folks more reasons to hate mtb'ers." I only found out about it because I was riding out there last night and saw the course signs.

Moderator Moderator

I know right? All it would take is some incident like 5k mentioned happening to the wrong person to have the powers that be decide to close down access to mtb on that trail completely (which would also be the logical first step if they really wanted to curb unsanctioned trail use up there). That's really why I mentioned it, when events like this or the occasional equestrian one happen we're even more under the microscope. I'm surprised it wasn't on the mbosc IG and here saying "hey this event is happening tomorrow, if you're out there riding please be on your best behavior and don't give folks more reasons to hate mtb'ers." I only found out about it because I was riding out there last night and saw the course signs.
    Oops! Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned that. Sorry about that.

Comment revised. We know the deal.

mtbr member
    Wait. . . People descend U-con?

Why???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    You'd be surprised. In full-face helmets sometimes even. Getting totally rad (in their minds), and maaaybe nabbing a KOM if they're lucky...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've climbed that about 200 times, mostly on weekends, and I can't remember any close calls. And I've dropped it a couple times with the g/f. It can be pretty fun when you have a good sight line!

Btw, I know MBOSC's long-term plan is to add a parallel downhill trail at some point, which seems really smart. Also, I've only climbed Emma once this year, but I almost always go pretty fast on the descent. Sure, you have to keep your eyes open for people climbing it, but that's not hard to do.
    "I will absolutely apologize hopefully sometime in the distant future if I'm ever wrong."

mtbr member
    Count yourself lucky then. Obviously I'm not the only one, re: 5k's original comment. I'd wager that it's probably actually safer on the weekends, just because there's a million people out there. Most of my recent encounters have been weekday evenings. All at places where there definitely is not a good sight line, and you would think people going downhill would get it. I'm all about shredding the descents but there's a time and place.

Moderator Moderator
    I seem to recall lots of incidents before MBOSC basically revitalized the whole of Pogonip. Now that area is a true gem and asset to Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rode JMP today, knowing that it was Saturday and I was likely going to see plenty of hikers. No big deal. What I didn't expect to see, however, was a group of about fifteen elderly people, and I do mean elderly, hiking UP Cinderella. I swear some of them looked to be at least in their 80s, no joke. I was lucky and came upon them as I was finishing and they were just starting up the trail, but if they were actually going to hike all the way up Cindy, it would have taken them at least an hour, during which they would have undoubtedly encountered several riders bombing down.

Good for them for getting outside and staying active, but hiking up Cinderella? Yikes. I know they're all multi-use trails, but come on lol.

Other than that, there were two hikers just standing in the middle of the trail at the start of the rock garden on Cindy, and a couple of ladies yelled at me to slow down while I was barely moving riding down the switchbacks on Palos Colorados. I was so far away from them I didn't realize they were yelling at me until I had stopped and got off my bike to let them by and they STILL told me to slow down.

What a weird day in JMP. I don't think I'll ever ride there on a weekend again. It wasn't even that crowded! Oh well, hope you all have a good weekend!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode confluence and culvert today in Auburn. Got out early this morning and it was a blast. Little dusty but overall conditions are pretty solid.

mtbr member
    Had one of my best days at Tamo today. My fitness level is where I want to be, I can pedal hard up all the climbs and I'm rolling over features faster, which makes the whole place new and different.

I pedal in from the Sir Francis Drake upper entrance (lands you on top of Endor) rather than from town, which is a great warm-up and on the way out one of my favorite parts of the ride, bunch of little kickers, switchbacks and small features. Fast and furious. . . .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Quick Skegger today. First time lapping Salamander on the new Yeti. This bike rails corners, and I have very stiff, fast rolling XC tires on it. It feels like an old school XC bike that you have to get really over the bars on in the turns. Which I like. Scandinavian Flick!

We need more of this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_2440.jpg  

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_2439.jpg  

mtbr member
    After coming back from BC these mountains looks so small and flat.

mtbr member
    Worked on the trail this morning, broke a pick axe, and then rode the loop. No pics of riding but Rest In Peace little buddy

Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-072d8398-6781-4287-a99c-681bca00f8a8.jpeg
    2020 FTS 2020 (ip)

mtbr member
    My OneUp bash guide just paid for itself. Hit a big rock in the middle of a steep chute that I saw at the last second and couldn't avoid. Felt the impact but all seemed fine, then at the bottom I took a couple pedal strokes and there was a horrendous scraping noise. Turns out the rock hit the bash at an angle (taking out a nice chunk of plastic) and bent the backplate. For some stupid reason this frame only has 2 ISCG mounting tabs, so I had it mounted with just those 2 bolts with the 3rd mount location floating. It bent exactly at the lower of the 2 ISCG bolt locations, and resulted in the floating part of the plate where the 3rd bolt would normally go now sticking out and contacting the inside of the chainring when pedaling. If there were 3 ISCG tabs on this frame, it likely either wouldn't have bent at all, or if it did bend that tab would still be screwed in so wouldn't hit the chainring.

One thing that's nice about the OneUp design is it's easy to remove w/o taking off the cranks, so just took a couple minutes trailside to remove it and I was on my way.

If I didn't have the bash, that impact for sure would have bent the chainring. And because there is literally only like 1mm clearance between the 32t ring and the carbon chainstay on that frame, if it had bent inboard and I tried to take a pedal stroke, I bet it would have made a big gouge in the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Demo was great Saturday morning. It was super busy so I just went in and road the fire road down, climbed up Sulfur Springs and hit Braille. Did a short loop and got the hell out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    First time at JMP for me today. Started off Skyline near Big Trees. Really enjoyed the place. Did two loops to get a feel for a good % of the trails. That Sinawak trails is beautiful. Stopped a lot at intersections and looked at Trailforks to get my bearings though. Perfect weather. Lots of people but generally every non mtb'r seemed pleasant. Turns out actually not too far from my home, so I'll be going there more often when non commute hours/days.
    Aug 2-4, 2019 Weekend Ride and Trail Report-img_59932.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
    First time at JMP for me today. Started off Skyline near Big Trees. Really enjoyed the place. Did two loops to get a feel for a good % of the trails. That Sinawak trails is beautiful. Stopped a lot at intersections and looked at Trailforks to get my bearings though. Perfect weather. Lots of people but generally every non mtb'r seemed pleasant. Turns out actually not too far from my home, so I'll be going there more often when non commute hours/days.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_59932.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	1269543
    I'm a reg at jmp. There us a Tues evening ride there with Rythm bikes.

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Had these 2 new Yeti rippers at UC all weekend....

Sb140/sb165..

Dirt surprisingly not too bad for Aug!!!

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Damn those are some pretty bikes! I wouldn't mind ripping on one one-of-these days!
    2020 FTS 2020 (ip)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Mt Hough Shuttle Weekend.

Matt @ Shuttlemonkeys.com was helpful and informative. He was helping everyone have a good ride.

Did 3 laps of Hough, one of those with the Berry Creek trail.

Wanted to do the Indian Falls route, but that will have to wait until next time.

Did 4 laps at Quintopia Brewing, the Mice and Men IPA was my favorite. Nice place to hang out.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post

Matt @ Shuttlemonkeys.com was helpful and informative. He was helping everyone have a good ride.

Wanted to do the Indian Falls route, but that will have to wait until next time.

Did 4 laps at Quintopia Brewing, the Mice and Men IPA was my favorite. Nice place to hang out.
    How was Berry Creek? What's it like? Did you pedal over from the bottom of Hough #1?

mtbr member

Also, if you do Indian Falls DH, how do you finish? TF doesn't show anything below it.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Had these 2 new Yeti rippers at UC all weekend....

Sb140/sb165..

Dirt surprisingly not too bad for Aug!!!

Nice!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft69 View Post
    How was Berry Creek? What's it like? Did you pedal over from the bottom of Hough #1?

Not sure where Hough #1 starts and ends, but on OpenStreetMap it shows as "Howell's Logging Road". Or as a Quincy local said, it's where the trail really starts getting fun, then you have to turn left on a fire road.

Berry Creek was a more rugged, old-time Sierra trail. I like that kind of trail. Over all was pretty good, with one long section of loose/sandy-decomposed rock/rocky -- all ridable, but also good chance of wrecking, and I wasn't wearing any armor. Rode about half before saying f-this. Getting there via Howell's Logging Road was easy, pretty flat, about 10 minutes. If I was riding Hough regularly, I'd probably alternate between Hough and Berry Creek.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Also, if you do Indian Falls DH, how do you finish? TF doesn't show anything below it.

Not exactly sure. I believe that after doing the Indian Falls trail, the you cut over using a fireroad to bring you back to Hough trail.

Matt @Shuttlemonkeys said Indian Falls was his favorite trail. But from his description of the route, it seemed that the maps come up short, there's no signage, and there are many opportunities to miss a turn. We'll try it next time when we've got more time to ride and explore.

mtbr member
    Not exactly sure. I believe that after doing the Indian Falls trail, the you cut over using a fireroad to bring you back to Hough trail.

Matt @Shuttlemonkeys said Indian Falls was his favorite trail. But from his description of the route, it seemed that the maps come up short, there's no signage, and there are many opportunities to miss a turn. We'll try it next time when we've got more time to ride and explore.
    Yeah there is no signage for the best part of the trail, so easy to blow right by it. If you do ride it, the singletrack dumps you out on a dirt road. Take a left on to that dirt road and it is about a 7 mile rolling mostly downhill dirt road traverse to the final section of hough, or ride by hough and hit berry instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlobo View Post
    Take a left on to that dirt road and it is about a 7 mile rolling mostly downhill dirt road traverse to the final section of hough, or ride by hough and hit berry instead.
    Is that a fun dirt road downhill or just a long dirt road?

mtbr member
    Just a long dirt road. There's one short section where you can build up some serious speed but doesn't last long.

mtbr member
    Question is Indian Creek worth it to shuttle up and then burn so many miles on that dirt road getting out?

mtbr member
    Question is Indian Creek worth it to shuttle up and then burn so many miles on that dirt road getting out?

I think so, but it is easy to miss the turn on singletrack for the fun section. If you miss that section not really worth the effort. If you do make the turn, the descent is one of the best on Hough in my opinion. My favorite ride on Hough is to take the shuttle to the top, ride hough trail down to rhineheart meadow. Pedal the road back to the top then drop indian falls ridge.