Auburn Trails - Cyclists, Hikers, and Horses (Trouble Sharing the Trails)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Auburn Trails - Cyclists, Hikers, and Horses (Trouble Sharing the Trails)

Anybody see this story on the news last night?

Cyclists, Hikers, Horses Having Trouble Sharing Auburn Trails « CBS Sacramento

Kind of made riders look bad

mtbr member
    But equestrians have their own opinion on that idea.

“They need to get a map and review what’s out there because there are plenty of trails for bikers,” said Davidson.

hah.

It is crowded in auburn, but every horse and hiker I meet is stoked-on-life and chats it up with me. The pissed off hikers seem to be more on stagecoach and manzanita, not foresthill divide. It sure is rare to see horses on the divide loop, but I can definitely see where blind corners would get sketchy for both parties.

It's not like they have ruckachucky all the way upto tahoe on western states trail. Oh wait.

President of the Internet
    KOVR 13 is a joke. Such a horrible news programs. I wondered if they could have showed that no bike sign more times? Jeez. Totally biased reporting. Funny how the only cyclist they could find was a shop owner.

Ditto on the Western States trail comment. If you don't want to see bikes, ride that.
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

Thinking of buying a home?
    http://Search-Sacramento-Homes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Widgeontrail View Post
    KOVR 13 is a joke. Such a horrible news programs. I wondered if they could have showed that no bike sign more times? Jeez. Totally biased reporting. Funny how the only cyclist they could find was a shop owner.

Ditto on the Western States trail comment. If you don't want to see bikes, ride that.
    My exact thoughts as well when I saw it being reported last night.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzarg View Post
    My exact thoughts as well when I saw it being reported last night.
    +2 on that. I wrote a reply comment on their webpage that pretty much attacks their schlocky poor "journalism". We will see if their moderator has the balls to approve the post for viewing.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    wow, the comments section of the kovr13 article has some pretty outspoken cyclist haters. Impressive amount of hate.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just posted as an equestrian who thanks mountain bikers for creating the fhdl. f'em

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Do any Equestrian groups ever help with trail building or maintenance around there? I know FATRAC does allot, but never hear about any horse groups sawing any logs or using a shovel.
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

General Motor(less)head
    Clearly, any equestrian with any sense should not a ride a horse that is overly sensitive on a trail with steep drops where the horse may spook and throw its rider. This is irrespective of mountain bikers, since there's plenty of wildlife up that could startle a horse as well. If the horse can't handle the multi-use trail, it and its rider should stick to safer territory.

mtbr member
    Funny thing about Auburn area trails. I have, uhm, 'hiked' on some of the horse/hiker trails in the area. Every time I 'hike' those trails, I never see equestrians using them.
    Never! Not an exageration. They just are not out there.
    But one close call on FHDL, and we have to call in the media to blame the crazy mountain bikers for riding the trail they built.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

I ride brikes, dingus'
    Quote Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
    Clearly, any equestrian with any sense should not a ride a horse that is overly sensitive on a trail with steep drops where the horse may spook and throw its rider. This is irrespective of mountain bikers, since there's plenty of wildlife up that could startle a horse as well. If the horse can't handle the multi-use trail, it and its rider should stick to safer territory.
    My thoughts too. If i ever run across a snipey horse rider who tells me to be careful because the horse is skittish, I'll tell them that they shouldnt be riding a horse a like that on a public multi use trail and putting people in danger! B!tch!
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalocal View Post
    I just posted as an equestrian who thanks mountain bikers for creating the fhdl. f'em
    Lol, nice!

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    +2 on that. I wrote a reply comment on their webpage that pretty much attacks their schlocky poor "journalism". We will see if their moderator has the balls to approve the post for viewing.
    Well, checked to see if the moderator of the comments on that story posted my comments.

Nothing. Not posted.

I was not vulgar, I was rather eloquent I feel in my remarks, but I did accuse KOVR 13 of poor journalism. Looks like they cant take a critique, and will only post things that don't bring them into the picture as a part of the problem going on here.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

weekend worrier
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Funny thing about Auburn area trails. I have, uhm, 'hiked' on some of the horse/hiker trails in the area. Every time I 'hike' those trails, I never see equestrians using them.
    Never! Not an exageration. They just are not out there.
    But one close call on FHDL, and we have to call in the media to blame the crazy mountain bikers for riding the trail they built.
    Agreed. Media sensationalism. I've been riding Auburn SRA trails since 1994 and have never had a negative encounter with an equestrian. And, yes, I pitched in a day or two back in the day to help build FHDL. Wish I had done more.

injured reserve list
    I'd bang Kayli D. the equestrian rider.... just saying, now lets see if she has a facbook page...lol

And I have to agree that I have never seen any horse activity on the trails when I have been there, just 3-5+ hikers blocking the whole trail and their off leash dogs.
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

mtbr member
    It's funny how you never hear about outspoken mountain bikers trying to kick people off the trails. I swear we are the red headed step children of the trail system. We need to take some notes from the snowboarders who used to get this abuse on the slopes but now are the majority.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Members who have read this thread: 0