Auburn Trail Building- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902

    Auburn Trail Building

    I know the rain just let up and everyone would much rather ride than build. Plus I would imagine the majority of the trail is a couple feet of mud. Just figured now would be the time to plan and in the near future would be prime building time rather than dry and dusty. Also now would be a good time to identify drainage issues. What are your guys' thoughts on this, or do you already have time slated for Auburn?

  2. #2
    DH on a HT
    Reputation: DraVen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    280
    hey you know me man....if i ride it i'll build it...count me in when you plan to go...

    P.S. i have picks and shovels....
    Check me out...

    Oneal/Azonic, e.13, Hayes, ODI grips, SIXSIXONE

  3. #3
    I dig trails!
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,560
    The Culvert trail is hammered in mud and by all of the "mountain bikers" that ride around mud/rocks. A buddy and I hit some of the FHDT, and the connector with some drainage correction so the Culvert is in the greatest need.

    We did see trail crews working on it on Saturday.

    Drainage is easy, pack a hand shovel, and use as needed. You get a ride in AND do trail work. If just a few people did this there would be no issues.

    Thanks for the willingness to support the trails.

    Mr. P

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902

    Will Do

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    The Culvert trail is hammered in mud and by all of the "mountain bikers" that ride around mud/rocks. A buddy and I hit some of the FHDT, and the connector with some drainage correction so the Culvert is in the greatest need.

    We did see trail crews working on it on Saturday.

    Drainage is easy, pack a hand shovel, and use as needed. You get a ride in AND do trail work. If just a few people did this there would be no issues.

    Thanks for the willingness to support the trails.

    Mr. P
    I agree the Culvert is in pretty bad shape. I'm willing to pack a hand shovel just not looking forward to a trail nazi or ranger flying off the handle. I don't know the legalities of building on state land.

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    308
    [QUOTE=....if i ride it i'll build it...

    yoo got that backwards dude-
    i got stuck workin this weekend but ill be floatin around next weekend

  6. #6
    I dig trails!
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    I agree the Culvert is in pretty bad shape. I'm willing to pack a hand shovel just not looking forward to a trail nazi or ranger flying off the handle. I don't know the legalities of building on state land.
    I'm guessing, for clearing drainage you will get a thumbs-up from a Ranger. You can ask at the station in Foresthill.

    I got a thumbs up from a FATRAC ride leader last weekend when he found me digging some drainage. FATRAC built and maintains the trails - and they should have an opinion either way.

    The drainage was built into the trail at original construction and due to whatever reason, the drainablity has been compromised, forming puddles. I just clear out what has built up after original trail construction to drain the puddles and keep them drained. I usually use a stick I find nearby.

    It sounds stupid, but trail maintence can be a ton of fun - especially when you are doing things like stacking logs around a fallen tree. Why cut it when you can ride it It's easy to get obsessed and turn it into a project.

    Mr. P

  7. #7
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,671
    ServeEm-
    You pick a Sunday(other than this one coming up) and I'll bring a few trail tools and a strong back.
    Maybe try and coordinate a day with FATRAC...I just snet an email out to CHS and JHS...I don't know if they have a day set aside yet or not.

  8. #8
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    I agree the Culvert is in pretty bad shape. I'm willing to pack a hand shovel just not looking forward to a trail nazi or ranger flying off the handle. I don't know the legalities of building on state land.
    You might get some crap for building stuff but no one is going to complain if you are cleaning up the trail, adding drainage, etc. I'm not sure what anyone can do about the trail widending. People are just moving down the trail and generally take the path of least resistance. It might help to put some brush on the sides of the trail to limit alternate routing.

    If you are going to get a bigger group and do some more significant work I suggest you call the ranger and talk to them. Most rangers encourage people to help with trail work.

    Are you a member of FATRAC? They do work on the Auburn trails usually at least once a month. I don't see anything on their schedule but I don't think the web schedule is up to date. They have no problems with non-members helping with trail work also.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Are you a member of FATRAC? They do work on the Auburn trails usually at least once a month. I don't see anything on their schedule but I don't think the web schedule is up to date. They have no problems with non-members helping with trail work also.
    I know about FATRAC but am not a member, I've seen their schedule and agree it's probably not up to date. I'll make a mental note to get in contact with them but doubt I'll follow thru. My days are pretty busy so when I get out of work I usually ride or hit the honey-do-list.

    Also when I wrote build I meant repair the trails.

    Internal14-
    I'm game and usually ride on Sundays out there. I'll probably go this Sunday but will def. be out there next week. I'll PM you as next weekend draws closer.

    Mark, give me a call when you get in town.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    I walked

    Culvert on Tuesday. it would not be that difficult to fix some of the drainage probs and it looks like FATRAC was just out there doing some work. I still see the widening of the trail as the major problem...as the trail gets wider it becomes more of a "drainage". Ogre mentioned using "brush...cuttings" to try and keep riders on a defined sustainable track but from what I have seen of previous attempts...this won't work here because trail users who feel their "line" has been taken out...will just move the brush so it's not there on their next shuttle run.

    hmmmm?
    :p

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    this won't work here because trail users who feel their "line" has been taken out...will just move the brush so it's not there on their next shuttle run.

    hmmmm?

    Really?....

  12. #12
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Indeed

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Culvert on Tuesday. it would not be that difficult to fix some of the drainage probs and it looks like FATRAC was just out there doing some work. I still see the widening of the trail as the major problem...as the trail gets wider it becomes more of a "drainage". Ogre mentioned using "brush...cuttings" to try and keep riders on a defined sustainable track but from what I have seen of previous attempts...this won't work here because trail users who feel their "line" has been taken out...will just move the brush.
    Caltrops on the edge of the trail? Concrete barricades? Razor wire? Rabid Squirrels with Lasers attached to their heads?

    I'm not sure this is a solveable problem shy of completely rerouting the trail along a route where you force users into a single line. You could put logs or other move immovable objects on the trail but it's entirely likely that large immovable objects will be turned into jumps and a whole new route will be created.

    To be honest I don't know what the solution is. Right now I'm focusing most of my trail maintanence energy closer to home.

  13. #13
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    I figured

    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    Also when I wrote build I meant repair the trails.
    No problem, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    wasn't aiming at you....

    but that is just the way it's been on that trail for the past 5 years or so. Almost every attempt to mitigate trail widening in this manner has been almost immediatly removed. By who???? I dunno
    :p

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902

    I Understand

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    but that is just the way it's been on that trail for the past 5 years or so. Almost every attempt to mitigate trail widening in this manner has been almost immediatly removed. By who???? I dunno
    I knew you weren't aiming that comment at me specifically, hell we've never met so how would you know.

    I think the widening of the trail is the least of your worries. There's a rise in traffic on those trails and with the serious rain combined is more of the culprit. More traffic just calls for more maintanence. If the number of users would give back just a little of their time Culvert along with the other trails would be fine even if they were widened.

  16. #16
    I dig trails!
    Reputation: Mr.P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    but that is just the way it's been on that trail for the past 5 years or so. Almost every attempt to mitigate trail widening in this manner has been almost immediatly removed. By who???? I dunno
    Check out the Granite Bay trail - a beginner level trail with lots of rookies. Every trail obstical has trail widening around it. Those without confidence, skill or without the right bike ride around rock gardens. I sure the same is true for Auburn.

    I'm sure most 7" bikes are not threatened by rock gardens as the bikes will just float through at speed. But some big bike riders are altering the trail in other ways.

    We have already discussed this, but I just want to point out that different levels of riders effect the trail differently.

    (I am an XC rider so I am not aligned with any one group here).

    Mr. P

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    We have already discussed this, but I just want to point out that different levels of riders effect the trail differently.

    (I am an XC rider so I am not aligned with any one group here).

    Mr. P
    I agree if what you said was that it's not one group of riders that contributed to the currect condition of the Auburn trails. Certainly don't wanna get into a heated discussion about who's fault it is. I just wanna give back and remedy some of this. So I'll be shovelling this Sunday.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,282

    So heres the deal....

    First off let me commend you all for at least broaching the subject of trailwork, it seems to be taboo on this site sometimes. About 1/2-1% percent of mountain bikers do trailwork, a pathetic number.
    As a former President and trail work co.ord of FATRAC I know for a fact that State Parks does not want a bunch of people out there with shovels, will you get hassled, no, but they do try to make sure that anyone working on the trails is approved and has some sort of training. It is in fact a misdemeanor to be caught disturbing State Park property without permission, I think picking flowers is in that same boat........

    I have seen a ton of trailwork that was done in good faith that was really not so good for the trail, I have also seen a bunch of approved people do some strange stuff as well. That being said, I think that if you are clearing berms off the outside of the trail and just getting some water to clear the trail you are gonna be O.K., anything else and you really should get some help and make sure you are not doing more damage that may not show up until next year.

    FATRAC is a little sketchy right now due to some leadership changes, but trailwork continues. The man to talk to in Auburn is Tracy Grant and you can e-mail him through the FATRAC website via the contacts page.

    I don't want to get into the Confluence trail issue, all I can tell you is it has gotten way worse the past few years, and yes, I have seen guys on 7" travel bikes go around the rock gardens and contribute to the problem, are they the only culprits, absolutely not, it is a user group issue, not a single user issue. That's why you get a beat down if you stray off the trail more than a couple of inches in places like Fruita! Keep it narrow!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Thanx Sean

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan
    First off let me commend you all for at least broaching the subject of trailwork, it seems to be taboo on this site sometimes. About 1/2-1% percent of mountain bikers do trailwork, a pathetic number.
    As a former President and trail work co.ord of FATRAC I know for a fact that State Parks does not want a bunch of people out there with shovels, will you get hassled, no, but they do try to make sure that anyone working on the trails is approved and has some sort of training. It is in fact a misdemeanor to be caught disturbing State Park property without permission, I think picking flowers is in that same boat........

    I have seen a ton of trailwork that was done in good faith that was really not so good for the trail, I have also seen a bunch of approved people do some strange stuff as well. That being said, I think that if you are clearing berms off the outside of the trail and just getting some water to clear the trail you are gonna be O.K., anything else and you really should get some help and make sure you are not doing more damage that may not show up until next year.

    FATRAC is a little sketchy right now due to some leadership changes, but trailwork continues. The man to talk to in Auburn is Tracy Grant and you can e-mail him through the FATRAC website via the contacts page.

    I don't want to get into the Confluence trail issue, all I can tell you is it has gotten way worse the past few years, and yes, I have seen guys on 7" travel bikes go around the rock gardens and contribute to the problem, are they the only culprits, absolutely not, it is a user group issue, not a single user issue. That's why you get a beat down if you stray off the trail more than a couple of inches in places like Fruita! Keep it narrow!
    Well said....there are a lot of folks here that would love to do work on culvert and confluence to make it better but we really need to push to get FATRAC more involved at this point. I will be emailing Tracy as well...I am sure others will do the same. There is a LOT that needs to be done to get the Culvert and Confluence trails back the way they should be.

    A lot of folks seem to think that there is no way this trail will ever be "the way it was"....actual single track..... but I still believe

    s
    :p

  20. #20
    J_B
    J_B is offline

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by ServeEm
    Also when I wrote build I meant repair the trails.
    When I saw the post I thought oh crap you are gunna get beat to death with a skewer.

    For those that remember, some of the stuff built on the trail has been torn down as you have seen. I remember a lip was built over by the oak tree area. That was friggin stupid.

    While it was fun, lil hip jump at the bottom before the road, I wasn't too happy with it as it wasn't approved etc. Yes, I know, I shouldn't have ridden it and actually stopped before they fenced it off.

    I don't think any building should take place on any of those trails as they are used by all. I spoke with the Ranger a month or so ago and she said it's a "possibility" that building could occur in the OHV but I wasn't going to hold my breath.

    Everyone be prepared....as we all have heard, Northstar is closed for the summer so there will be even more traffic than before. Me personally? I am looking to hit Reno and Bay Area plus I have the middle of the week off and the guys at Turner just sent me my RFX so I won't be hitting Auburn, too much on the DH rig.

    ServeEm, it looks like sunshine so we need to go check out those DJ's at that spot in Roseville I told ya about. Plus, we need to do some urban. If you are going to hit Auburn on the weekends, I could possibly hit it for an hour or so before I need to be at work.

    Let me know.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by J_B
    ServeEm, it looks like sunshine so we need to go check out those DJ's at that spot in Roseville I told ya about. Plus, we need to do some urban. If you are going to hit Auburn on the weekends, I could possibly hit it for an hour or so before I need to be at work.

    Let me know.
    Yes sir I'm ready when you are. If you want I can meet you in the late afternoon on weekdays that you have off. I've been beating the hell outta Pecan and Folsom jumps. There's another spot I'm going to check out that's in the neighborhood by Pecan that's being rebuilt. But yea, name the day and I'll cruz out there.

    Piece.

  22. #22
    The Uber Carnivore
    Reputation: Trail Punk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    360

    Trail-wideners suck

    Ride the trail or stay home.

    Tread lightly.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ServeEm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    902

    No good

    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Punk
    Ride the trail or stay home.

    Tread lightly.

    That's funny...

  24. #24
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,671

    stolen from my other post

    So I contacted FATRAC to get the facts on trail help in the ravine. The following is the response:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello Myke,

    Thanks for your email. Yes, you are right the culvert trail has a mud-bog
    at the top. Unfortunately this time of year and especially this year
    because of all the rain will cause that particular area to be very wet.
    Also unfortunately a fix in that area requires much more effort than a few
    shovels. It actually requires a small bobcat, lots of rock and gravel, and
    manpower to construct what we call a causeway. A causeway allows the water
    to flow under while we ride on the rocks. This kind of work is considered
    quite significant by State Parks. We have attempted to get this work done
    for the last couple of years but because of environmental requirements of
    State Parks we have been unable to get all the proper documents completed to
    make that work happen.

    Only FATRAC sponsored events, led by one of our trained trailwork leaders
    (Tracy Grant specifically for Auburn area) are considered legal FATRAC
    trailwork sessions. Please do not go out and do any work because it will
    likely be seen as illegal and you could be ticketed by State Parks. I have
    cc'd Tracy Grant on this email. You might be able to convince him to lead a
    trailwork session on a particular day if you can guarantee a group of
    workers.

    The next calendar is being developed right now....upcoming Auburn trailworks
    are on May 20 at the confluence and June 17 on FDLT. I hope that you and
    your riding pals can make it to either one or both of those trailwork
    sessions. Tracy will be leading both of these sessions.

    Thanks so much for your inquiry and I hope to see you at one of the
    trailwork sessions.

    Sue Fry

    -----Original Message-----
    From: [email protected]
    [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:54 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: This is an email direct from the FATRAC Feedback website.

    Hello there-
    Since the sun has come up and the water is receeding ever so
    slightly...now would be a great time to get some trail work done in the
    Auburn area, namely the mud-bog formerly know as "the Culvert Trail."
    If there is a trail work day scheduled for a Sunday, then I'll show up
    with shovels and a strong back.
    Also, if FATRAC isn't able to 'sponsor' the trailwork day, can I form a
    group of a few guys to go out and help the trail out? I don't want a
    Ranger getting mad at us for working on the trails.
    What is the proper way about getting a trail work day started?

    Cheers,

    Myke
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Figures.....politics man.....red tape crapola....


    But at least there are two scheduled days at this poit in time.

    May 20th and June 17th.
    So that should be enough of a head start for people to clear their schedule now to be able to come throw shovles and haul rocks around to hel pout the trail situation.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.