Auburn Spring Thing- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Auburn Spring Thing

    Yup...This weekend. All are welcome...don't be shy...come on up!

    Here is the deal....

    We are doing a big a$$ Auburn ride on Saturday starting at the confluence of the American Rivers in Auburn. Meet there at 9:30 am Saturday. Ride leaves no later than 10am. This is a tough 33 mile ride especially when temps are in the 80's. Bring plenty of water. Of course...as is custom with these rides in Auburn...there will be water stashes and some sort of support at the half way point.

    After...Marias Tacos in Auburn. Beer.

    Sunday...Mystery Ride in Auburn Or maybe South Yuba...or....this just in.....we could help build the new trail from Malakoff Diggins to No. Bloomfield with BONC???

    Oh yes....and Saturday night...there will be more beer and food consumption at the bigboulder ranch. PM me if you would like directions. I have floor space for those who want to crash here as well as plenty of camping space and vehicle parking on the property...just let me know if you are coming.

    I did a big ride here in Auburn yesterday and the trails are in superb condition, wildflowers are in full bloom, and everything else is green.

    Are you in??
    Last edited by bigboulder; 05-01-2006 at 08:38 AM.
    :p

  2. #2
    Allways ride safe!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    294

    I'm in

    I'm in for the Saturday Ride and Saturday night pagan rituals ( save me a floor spot ). May or may not make sunday's ride.
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

    Radio Commercial

  3. #3
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,479
    I'll be there for the Saturday ride, not sure about the rest. Gotta check on the family plans first.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  4. #4
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Big ridez

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Are you in??
    This green thing is making me nauseous. If I don't puke I should be in. You gonna add the DH that drops into the OHV Park to the mix somehow? Park in the Confluence rather than at the Liquor Barn so we can end on a DH and jump in the river?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    uhhhhhhh

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    This green thing is making me nauseous. If I don't puke I should be in. You gonna add the DH that drops into the OHV Park to the mix somehow??
    That would make it a really big a$$ ride....we'll have to see....

    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Park in the Confluence rather than at the Liquor Barn so we can end on a DH and jump in the river?
    uhhhhhh........thats what I said....ride starts at confluence.

    Whats that? Did you say the Trail Princess will be there too?
    :p

  6. #6
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    Ummm.... Hard to read

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    That would make it a really big a$$ ride....we'll have to see....
    Well maybe. The Culvert trail is so Fscked up right now I'm not even sure if I care if I ride it or not.
    uhhhhhh........thats what I said....ride starts at confluence.
    Couldn't tell with all that green **** I got confused and paged past it before reading the whole thing.
    Whats that? Did you say the Trail Princess will be there too?
    Mebe. You'll have to axe her.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,787
    I want to go but the longest ride I'm only accustomed to 10 mile rides at any one time. Any chance you guys think I could survive?

  8. #8
    JFR
    JFR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JFR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    997
    I'm planning to attend the party Sat night and whatever goes down Sunday.

    (Saturday is out due to block party garage sale thing we're participating in.)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Paging Princess Fiona

    Dennis said he can come out and play this weekend but, we wanted to know if you could come also and provide SAG at Drivers Flat??/

    Dennis, We went down the Culvert yesterday and it was dry except for one small mud bog. It is definatly a freeway with lines going everywhere but I would not say that it was not fun.

    s
    :p

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,896
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    I want to go but the longest ride I'm only accustomed to 10 mile rides at any one time. Any chance you guys think I could survive?
    not to deter you from this ride, but you might be better off hooking up with wherewolf and i (and whoever else is joining us). we'll do a decent amount of miles (25 mas o menos) but it will be at a realistic pace. he has posted about his 'slowpoke' ride elsewhere if you are interested in the splinter group...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive
    not to deter you from this ride, but you might be better off hooking up with wherewolf and i (and whoever else is joining us). we'll do a decent amount of miles (25 mas o menos) but it will be at a realistic pace. he has posted about his 'slowpoke' ride elsewhere if you are interested in the splinter group...
    Don't worry about deterring me , I wanted honest opinions
    I'll check out the slowpoke ride

  12. #12
    Trail Goddess
    Reputation: Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    988

    Wink Hey what's in it for me???

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Dennis said he can come out and play this weekend but, we wanted to know if you could come also and provide SAG at Drivers Flat??/

    Dennis, We went down the Culvert yesterday and it was dry except for one small mud bog. It is definatly a freeway with lines going everywhere but I would not say that it was not fun.
    Sounds like I can do. This is my Birthday Weekend so I guess I'll find some way to celebrate PROPERLY. See ya.

    Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

  13. #13
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Not to deter you...

    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    I want to go but the longest ride I'm only accustomed to 10 mile rides at any one time. Any chance you guys think I could survive?
    I don't want to deter you from our slowpoke ride, but for someone who is only accustomed to 10 miles, doing 25 - 30 miles at Auburn all of a sudden may be asking for trouble. 25 miles is much more than 2.5 times harder than 10 miles. It will probably be quite warm and in addition to the extra effort, you need much better logistical planning for an all day ride, e.g. more water, food, tools, etc.

    Our slowpoke group is certainly slower than the other group going out, which I know I can not realistically comfortably ride with. Riding with mismatched people, be they slower or faster than you, is no fun for either party. But compared to people not used to riding all day, we move pretty well and we don't stop very often. Sorry but my knees don't handle long stops.

    The decision to join the slowpoke group is certainly up to you. But please realistically assess your fitness, preparedness, and what type of rider you are. When I tag along with a much faster group I make it crystal clear that I am a big boy and they are free to leave me if I'm too slow. I'm very self-sufficient, stubborn (or perhaps stupid), I carry a map and light, and I have no loved ones to worry about me. If you come please be sure to bring a map, available on my site.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 05-01-2006 at 07:57 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,055

    poaching!

    I've heard of poaching elephants, and poaching trails, but poaching riders?

    heh.

    That said, while it may be more than 2.5 times as difficult, I missed out on last years big Auburn ride, so I'll take the chance that this might be this seasons. If I can do FHDL on the singlespeed, going up Clementine with gears should be cake, even if I am out of shape.

  15. #15
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Ss

    Anybody who rides a SS should be going with the fast group, not us slowpokes.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Ss!

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    I've heard of poaching elephants, and poaching trails, but poaching riders?

    heh.

    That said, while it may be more than 2.5 times as difficult, I missed out on last years big Auburn ride, so I'll take the chance that this might be this seasons. If I can do FHDL on the singlespeed, going up Clementine with gears should be cake, even if I am out of shape.
    SS in Auburn is extremely fun but not if you are out of shape...that being said....it's a great way to get back in shape...no pain no gain.
    :p

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Well then

    looks like we are going to have to have a birthday cake!....

    Whats in it for you? Hmmmm

    You get to hang out with a bunch of sweaty, smelly mountain bike studs?
    :p

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I don't want to deter you from our slowpoke ride, but for someone who is only accustomed to 10 miles, doing 25 - 30 miles at Auburn all of a sudden may be asking for trouble. 25 miles is much more than 2.5 times harder than 10 miles. It will probably be quite warm and in addition to the extra effort, you need much better logistical planning for an all day ride, e.g. more water, food, tools, etc.

    Our slowpoke group is certainly slower than the other group going out, which I know I can not realistically comfortably ride with. Riding with mismatched people, be they slower or faster than you, is no fun for either party. But compared to people not used to riding all day, we move pretty well and we don't stop very often. Sorry but my knees don't handle long stops.

    The decision to join the slowpoke group is certainly up to you. But please realistically assess your fitness, preparedness, and what type of rider you are. When I tag along with a much faster group I make it crystal clear that I am a big boy and they are free to leave me if I'm too slow. I'm very self-sufficient, stubborn (or perhaps stupid), I carry a map and light, and I have no loved ones to worry about me. If you come please be sure to bring a map, available on my site.
    I appreciate your candor. I think I'll keep riding with my small group of friends and try to build up my ability to ride. Maybe late in the summer I'll make it up with a group

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,896
    [QUOTE=sonicsuby]I appreciate your candor. I think I'll keep riding with my small group of friends and try to build up my ability to ride. Maybe late in the summer I'll make it up with a group [/QUOTE

    i don't know where you live, but if you want a 'taste' of auburn area riding i'd suggest just doing the foresthill divide loop. it's about 11 miles or so and is an absolute blast. it just doesn't have some of the techy sections that the big ride we'll do will have, nor does it have as much climbing. please don't be deterred, we'd love to see you on some of our bigger rides.
    we were all there once (and i'm not that far removed!!)...

  20. #20
    MTBr ReMember
    Reputation: UncleMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    654
    Steve,
    Just E-d you about coming up Friday and use a parking spot for the Glomar...
    I'll need a map to get to your place.
    Tim

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,787
    [QUOTE=cohenfive]
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicsuby
    I appreciate your candor. I think I'll keep riding with my small group of friends and try to build up my ability to ride. Maybe late in the summer I'll make it up with a group [/QUOTE

    i don't know where you live, but if you want a 'taste' of auburn area riding i'd suggest just doing the foresthill divide loop. it's about 11 miles or so and is an absolute blast. it just doesn't have some of the techy sections that the big ride we'll do will have, nor does it have as much climbing. please don't be deterred, we'd love to see you on some of our bigger rides.
    we were all there once (and i'm not that far removed!!)...
    Thanks. I live in Sacramento (used to live in GV). I usually ride up in the Auburn area, though I think I need a bit more practice before I get out with a group of guys at the level you are all at. The last thing I want to do is get hurt because I'm trying to overdo it, or hold everyone up . I'll definitely come out for a longer ride eventually

  22. #22
    zon
    zon is offline
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Reputation: zon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Any chance for a earlier start? Say 8:00? That way you will beat the heat for the most part.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ


    .

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,896
    930 is as early as i can do coming up from the bay area....i'm looking forward to some sweating!!

  24. #24
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Big boy ride

    Quote Originally Posted by zon
    Any chance for a earlier start? Say 8:00? That way you will beat the heat for the most part.
    You would be doing the big boy ride, not the slowpoke ride, anyway. Remember our winter ride? I was too slow for you. I also have a two hour drive and I am going to be there by 9:30.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtb_Canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    243

    I burned I missed the last 2 SYUBA rides

    But Iím in for this weekend. Iím working on obtaining an entire weekend pass from the Misses Ö until then Iím in for Saturday and Saturday night for sure. As far as camping I am pretty self sufficient Ö but is their anything special I should bring: camp stove? Poker chips? Firewood?

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    did you say poker?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Canuck
    But Iím in for this weekend. Iím working on obtaining an entire weekend pass from the Misses Ö until then Iím in for Saturday and Saturday night for sure. As far as camping I am pretty self sufficient Ö but is their anything special I should bring: camp stove? Poker chips? Firewood?
    Have not played poker in ages but I could definatley go for that. Firewood would be cool too! I will be posting directions to my place on this thread so no one gets lost between the confluence, marias, and the bb ranch.
    :p

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Directions To....

    Confluence.....Frim Hwy 80 take Elm Ave exit. Left at light. Left again at next light (HIGH STREET). HIGH STREET sweeps to the right. At the top of the hill go straight through the light. You are now on HWY 49 headed down to the confluence. At the bottom do not turn right to go over the river. Go straight and you will see parking area in about 300 yards.

    Marias Mexican Tacos. Marias is on the hwy 80 frontage road between Auburn Ravine exit and Bowman Exit. Accross the freeway from Akidas. It is next to the Bowling Alley.

    bigboulder ranch....from hwy 80 take the hwy 49 exit towards Grass Valley... Go LEFT at 3rd light PALM AVE. After crossing Nevada Street... Palm becomes MOUNT VERNON. Go approx 1.5 miles down Mt Vernon and go LEFT on BALD HILL. Go about 200 yards up Bald Hill....where Bald Hill makes a sweeping left turn there is a small road entrance on the right. Turn right here at FRONTIER ROAD. Frontier Road makes 2 left turns. After the second left turn, when you come to the top of the hill there will be three small white signs on your right with addresses. bigboulder ranch is 2409. Turn right here. Go 100 yards down the dirt road, then turn right up dirt driveway that leads to the house. Frontier Road shows up on Mapquest but it does not show correct location of my house on the road.
    :p

  28. #28
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Yup...This weekend. All are welcome...don't be shy...come on up!

    Here is the deal....

    We are doing a big a$$ Auburn ride on Saturday starting at the confluence of the American Rivers in Auburn. Meet there at 9:30 am Saturday. Ride leaves no later than 10am. This is a tough 33 mile ride especially when temps are in the 80's. Bring plenty of water. Of course...as is custom with these rides in Auburn...there will be water stashes and some sort of support at the half way point.

    After...Marias Tacos in Auburn. Beer.

    Sunday...Mystery Ride in Auburn Or maybe South Yuba...or....this just in.....we could help build the new trail from Malakoff Diggins to No. Bloomfield with BONC???

    Oh yes....and Saturday night...there will be more beer and food consumption at the bigboulder ranch. PM me if you would like directions. I have floor space for those who want to crash here as well as plenty of camping space and vehicle parking on the property...just let me know if you are coming.

    I did a big ride here in Auburn yesterday and the trails are in superb condition, wildflowers are in full bloom, and everything else is green.

    Are you in??
    What are we looking at? Stagecoach -> Manzanita (sp?) -> Upper Stagecoach -> Mossy Rock -> up to the road and over the bridge -> Fuel Break -> Connector -> FHDL -> Connector -> Culvert -> Confluence? Crap, I'm tired just typing it! Is that 33 miles?

    Anyway, I'm in. It will give you guys an excuse to take breaks and make you feel fast.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Who Knows?

    We may just toss in a trip to the bottom of Stonewall too...I'll bring a body bag in my camelback just in case we lose ya.

    Or you may just look like this...

    Probably just kidding...but we can make that an AAA group option. See ya Saturday!
    :p

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,337
    I've never been on the connector or foresthill segments, but usually do clementine>fuel break>culvert>confluence 2 or 3 times in a row. Would it be cool if I followed the slow poke people just to get an idea of what the connector and foresthill trails are like? If it seems like I don't belong, I've got no ego issues with just turning around.

  31. #31
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,988

    Come on down!

    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    I've got no ego issues with just turning around.
    You've got the right attitude and you've been there before. And I'm sure you won't find us as good as you think.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigboulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,817

    Tomorrow...

    Dang! The weather is gonna be perfect! Wish my camera was working so I could post a photo of how gorgeous the canyon is looking right now with all the green and wildflowers in bloom.

    Two seperate MTBR rides starting at the confluence tomorrow....and two MTBR birthdays. This is awesome I'm stoked!

    Auburn Dirtapalooza!

    The best news of all is that it is 2pm on a friday and I am already on Stone IPA #2
    :p

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nachomc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    The best news of all is that it is 2pm on a friday and I am already on Stone IPA #2
    I need to get outta here!

  34. #34
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,781
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    Dang! The weather is gonna be perfect! Wish my camera was working so I could post a photo of how gorgeous the canyon is looking right now with all the green and wildflowers in bloom.

    Two seperate MTBR rides starting at the confluence tomorrow....and two MTBR birthdays. This is awesome I'm stoked!

    Auburn Dirtapalooza!

    The best news of all is that it is 2pm on a friday and I am already on Stone IPA #2
    Y'all have fun. Us coastal folk are just starting to get back our trails so no road trips yet.

    2pm. Should I ride or start drinking?? hmm...

    We're missing a beer smiley.

    fc

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,307
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    We're missing a beer smiley.

    fc

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: imjps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,434
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboulder
    The best news of all is that it is 2pm on a friday and I am already on Stone IPA #2
    LOL, I'm on my second margarita in celebration of Cinco De Mayo


  37. #37
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,781
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    I uploaded it into the system.! Dayum, we're quick when it comes to brew.

    fc

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtb_Canuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    243

    Thanks for a great day...

    Thanks to Big Boulder and everyone else who made it out to Auburn to ride the canyons on Saturday. The ride was awesome and the post ride festivities were a blast. Thanks again BB for your families hospitality back at the ranch. Canít wait to ride with everyone again soon.

    Next time Iíll bring more beerÖ

  39. #39
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,479
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Canuck
    Next time Iíll bring more beerÖ
    More crack, please.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  40. #40
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    No doubt

    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Canuck
    Thanks to Big Boulder and everyone else who made it out to Auburn to ride the canyons on Saturday. The ride was awesome and the post ride festivities were a blast. Thanks again BB for your families hospitality back at the ranch. Canít wait to ride with everyone again soon.

    Next time Iíll bring more beerÖ
    Excellente ride folks. Ripping down connector trail with y'all was a total blast. That has to be one of the 10 most grin filled half miles of singltrack in the state. Only problem was it was too damned short. Confluence Trail was ripalicious as well.

    -- Dennis

  41. #41
    Allways ride safe!!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    294

    Good Times!

    An excellent Saturday ride! Good terrain. Good riders. Good weather and Good Maria's and beer after. Gonna have to carry a bigger drive on rag to wipe all the slobber off of me after rides like this ( me ride looong time ). Only bad thing was Finch and Johnny couldn't make it up earlier. Lookin forward to more Auburn action this summer.

    Oh yeah! Someone break those &8%$#@ 29 inch wheels of Andy's. He's a killuh, I'm tellin yuh!
    Stand back! I don't know how big this thing gets!

    Radio Commercial

  42. #42
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,905
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_Canuck
    Thanks to Big Boulder and everyone else who made it out to Auburn to ride the canyons on Saturday. The ride was awesome and the post ride festivities were a blast. Thanks again BB for your families hospitality back at the ranch. Canít wait to ride with everyone again soon.

    Next time Iíll bring more beerÖ
    Yeah, thanks. I'd like to say I enjoyed the whole ride, but that would imply I DID the whole ride. Thanks for wait'n up, and the beer afterward And thanks, Char, for the support vehicle. You guys are great to ride with. Hope to do it again before I blow this coast.

    I took my SS out on Sunday (not sure what I was thinking after what Saturday did to me) and it was the most pain I have known on a bike.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    31
    Thanks to BigBoulder and party...enjoyed what portion I rode until my rim cracked. Best that it happened before we left the main confluence. In the meantime, I've bought new mavic rims and look forward to getting back out there. Thanks for the guided tour and hope to hook up again in the near future.

  44. #44
    Trail Goddess
    Reputation: Fiona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    988
    Thanks for the cake!! What a great way to celebrate a birthday. I know my ride was nothing close to yours in length, but I definately felt it. I'm trying to get Dennis to set up a baby beginner ride for me up there(10-12 miles). Then I'll see what all the fuss is about. And Steve I promised Monique cookies next time so keep the ingredients ready.

    Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.