Auburn / Nevada City Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2018

Auburn / Nevada City Trails

Does anyone know how the trail conditions in Auburn or Nevada City are right now? Thinking of trying to ride in that area this weekend. I have never ridden there so could anyone give some suggestions of trails with some techy features like rock gardens or jumps?

mtbr member
    Auburn in in perfect shape right now, very few puddles, might change this weekend, NC trails are dicey, Pioneer should be good but down in the canyons you'll find glue mud

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Trails are all bitchen in Auburn, they are as good as they ever get, been on them weekly, and NC a few weeks ago. They are fine was well.

mtbr member
    For Nevada City, Taxi, Hoot, Scotts and Miners are all in good shape. You could ride Pioneer a very long way up before encountering significant snow, I imagine. Round Mountain just got logged out by BONC but it's not getting a haircut until tomorrow and there is mos' definitely brush encroaching on the switchbacks down to the river. Anyway, that's just for today because we're predicted to get half an inch of rain starting tonight with snow levels possibly as low as 4000' which is Conservation Camp Rd. along Hwy 20.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    No snow up in Nevada City that I saw today while up there. Not supposed to get any until Christmas according to the weather app. I'm gonna wander up to Hoots/ Scotts tomorrow and see how things are.

mtbr member
    We got steady rain today so they will be rideable but not max fun. Please give a holler if any blowdowns or major issues. I'm goin' skiing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by skippy24 View Post
    Does anyone know how the trail conditions in Auburn or Nevada City are right now? Thinking of trying to ride in that area this weekend. I have never ridden there so could anyone give some suggestions of trails with some techy features like rock gardens or jumps?
    Just head to the Auburn State Rec Area and you won't be disappointed. Culvert, Confluence, etc. Sweet trails and awesome views.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Pioneer lower, was a little sloggy but still a blast. no snow where it crosses the highway, less a few shady spots off trail if you looked hard for it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nevada City was rad today. The leaves are a little unpredictable and the first berm on hoot is a bit slick.

Overall much fun was had, just make sure to bring a towel with you, its a bit muddy.

NedwannaB
    So annoying when the OP inquiring doesn't check in. I'm with the Auburn recommending trails being lower, although maybe crispy snow base is better up Nevada City way?....
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    So annoying when the OP inquiring doesn't check in. I'm with the Auburn recommending trails being lower, although maybe crispy snow base is better up Nevada City way?....
    No snow, we rode to 5000+ feet on pioneer and no snow in trail. Even upper will be fine

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Rode Auburn yesterday quick lap on Clementine for a climb, Culvert, and finally Confluence to finish. Dirt was tacky and fast, culvert's berms were real nice and not a lot of standing water.

I'm hoping to pop up to Nevada City a few more time while I'm visiting, but Auburn is great if you're close and need a quick rip.

mtbr member
    I rode Auburn yesterday. IMHO I think it's a little sloppy. It's dry enough not to be a shitshow, but not dry enough to call it hero dirt. There are some of the usual suspect spots that are holding water and starting to get mushy. I rode Clem, Connector, Fuel Break, Culvert, and Confluence. I went down on Culvert about two weeks ago and that same berm that gave out on me seems to have taken a few other riders down. I saw a lot of overturned soil. If you ride up there a lot it's the one on the top of the trail right at the end of the S turns. That corner has always had issues with people over shooting it ever since the re-work. The berm that was there seemed to be enough of a catch berm when dry but doesn't seem to be holding up to the weather.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    May 2018
    OP here. Sorry for not responding earlier. I never made it to Auburn/NC due to holiday obligations taking all my time. Going to try to make it there possibly later this week if the weather holds out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    auburn didn't get any better than taday

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Does anyone know how Auburn is riding after the moisture of the last week?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I rode yesterday. I shouldnít have. The canyon is fine. FDLT and Connector not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanallan View Post
    I rode yesterday. I shouldnít have. The canyon is fine. FDLT and Connector not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huh, rode yesterday and did not think it was that bad, just a couple of muddy spots, otherwise in good shape. Big thanks out to FATRAC for the work on Culvert!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    last week the connector trail and fhdl were mud soaked messes, loved every minute. we were a mess, couldn't clean the whole thing like normal with a few muddy areas.. folsom lake was perfect yesterday

mtbr member
    Heading to Auburn in a few mins to crank out the triple loop. I'll report conditions when I get back in the ride thread.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Heading to Auburn in a few mins to crank out the triple loop. I'll report conditions when I get back in the ride thread.
    What is the triple loop? I live there almost on the top of stagecoach

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Rode FDLT with Stonewall+Ranch+Squaw Flat (Old Connector?) outbound from the Confluence with the Placer Foothills MTB Team (and there were a bunch of other high schoolers out) on Saturday and it was all very messy.

My guess for Triple Loops is 1) Stagecoach+Manzanita+Mossy + 2) Clementine+Culvert+Confluence with a + 3) FDLT in between. Though I thought that was the Whole Enchilada.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian View Post

My guess for Triple Loops is 1) Stagecoach+Manzanita+Mossy + 2) Clementine+Culvert+Confluence with a + 3) FDLT in between. Though I thought that was the Whole Enchilada.
    Riding down stagecoach and the clementine wit connector thrown in is 17.5 brutal miles with almost 3000 feet of climbing. That's my limit. Add the fdlt and im not sure id finish lol I can do stagecoach from my house on lincoln way and the clementine to confluence and back out stagecoach in 1 hour and 50 minutes. which is 1800' Damn mn I have work to do lol

mtbr member
    Hehe I donít know if itís official but triple loop to me: culvert+confluence (Loop), short cut to Stonewall to Ranch to Squaw (BRUTAL!!) linked into FHDL Clementine / Connector (Loop), then full FHDL (Loop). Triple loops! Looks something like ...

We talked about throwing in Stagecoach / Manzanita plus above. That would be wicked epic! Maybe next ride we will do that as well.

Dirt was good, usual muddy spots, but didnít feel like we were damaging anything. Super fun ride and my legs are toast! Pictures in the weekly ride report thread!

PS: Itís awesome to see Stonewall return to some of it previous glory! Was absolutely a blast today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Auburn / Nevada City Trails-9b778a4f-a48c-4d33-b2b4-c20d58552137.jpeg  

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Hehe I donít know if itís official but triple loop to me: culvert+confluence (Loop), short cut to Stonewall to Ranch to Squaw (BRUTAL!!) linked into FHDL Clementine / Connector (Loop), then full FHDL (Loop). Triple loops! Looks something like ...

Auburn / Nevada City Trails-9b778a4f-a48c-4d33-b2b4-c20d58552137.jpeg

We talked about throwing in Stagecoach / Manzanita plus above. That would be wicked epic!

Dirt was good, usually muddy spots, but didnít fee like we were damaging anything. Super fun ride and my legs are toast! Pictures in the weekly ride report thread!
    Not my route but have ridden it:
    https://www.strava.com/routes/2823351

Replace the double Connector with Shortcut/Stonewall/Ranch/Squaw and youíve got most everything.

Maybe missing Robie Point and coasting down 49 to ranger station and then doing Manzanita. Or maybe fording river on Mammoth Bar and riding Quarry back? 🤪

mtbr member
    Eh that has a double back. My loop today, we never rode the same stretch other than the fire road from FHD to top of Upper Clementine, maybe a 50 yard stretch. The linked loop also avoids Stonewall which is heresy. No full Auburn loop exists without Stonewall IMO. It also avoids Ranch / Squaw cause that shit is hard but there is some sweet turns to be had.

I like my loops with the west side (Stagecoach / Manazanita) Loop. That too me would be everything of Auburn. Yeah you miss Rocky and Murderers plus some other ďoff the radarĒ stuff but the goal isnít to ride every trail, itís to loop Auburnís main lines without a double back!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

NedwannaB
    I like your ride plus adding in Stage/Manz would be an awesome outing. ☝️💪👊😎
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Crazy! way over my pay grade lol but never giving up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    anyone do auburn, down cardiac hill, around the lake and end up at hazel ?

Ride On!
    Thinking... Clementine->Connector->FDLT->Connector->Culvert->Confluence->Knee Deep works best for me

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    stagecoach was perfect this morning before work, 10 minutes from longhorn meats on Lincoln way to river. wish I didn't have to work would have ran 3 more hours down there.
    Last edited by Outhouse; 01-26-2020 at 11:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalTaz View Post
    Thinking... Clementine->Connector->FDLT->Connector->Culvert->Confluence->Knee Deep works best for me
    I did that one earlier this month, minus knee deep. Where is knee deep anyway?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreynolds7 View Post
    . Where is knee deep anyway?
    in his ice chest I believe

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Knee Deep is on New Airport Rd near Bell.

Next Saturday is the Tour de Placer (Roubaix?) benefiting the Placer Foothills MTB Team. Ride starts/finishes at Moonraker on nearby corner to Knee Deep. Itíll be a good excuse to visit the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    in his ice chest I believe
    Har dee har har. I suppose I could have googled it

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Auburn / Nevada City Trails-safe_image.jpg

Took me all day and ended up having leg cramps half way back on the connector loop, but still climbed back out of stagecoach to my house.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safe_image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	1308135

Took me all day and ended up having leg cramps half way back on the connector loop, but still climbed back out of stagecoach to my house.
    Legit ride, nice! Question though, why no Stonewall? Yeah the climb out sucks but itís really good right now!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Legit ride, nice! Question though, why no Stonewall? Yeah the climb out sucks but itís really good right now!
    I have never been on the opposite side of the canyon from connector trail less my dirt bike even though I grew up riding at Mammoth bar, a lot has changed. I need to go with someone who has been there before. Honestly, I never would have made it, barely made it up stagecoach.

mtbr member
    I have never been on the opposite side of the canyon from connector trail less my dirt bike even though I grew up riding at Mammoth bar, a lot has changed. I need to go with someone who has been there before. Honestly, I never would have made it, barely made it up stagecoach.
    Well, if you're interested in checking it out, I'll try to PM when we go for the Quad! That will give you a pretty good tour of some of the stuff over there!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Well, if you're interested in checking it out, I'll try to PM when we go for the Quad! That will give you a pretty good tour of some of the stuff over there!
    Thank bud!!! ill hit you up someday.

Sweater
    anyone do auburn, down cardiac hill, around the lake and end up at hazel ?
    Much of that from Cardiac to just north of granite beach (around Los Lagos) is Pioneer express trail and off limits to bikes. When the lake is low you can take the canal/ditch trail down lower but much of the year that's underwater.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    I ran the AR50 that goes from Sac State all the way to the overlook. We are being kept off some frickin awesome singletrack for absolutely no reason I can think of. Between Rattlesnake and the Overlook was fantastic!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    I ran the AR50 that goes from Sac State all the way to the overlook. We are being kept off some frickin awesome singletrack for absolutely no reason I can think of. Between Rattlesnake and the Overlook was fantastic!
    Pro tip: nobody gunna stop you.

Just be nice, and be there off peak hours
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanxj View Post
    Pro tip: nobody gunna stop you.

Just be nice, and be there off peak hours
    You naughty heheh.

2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Ya we start at Hazel and auburn folsom rd and rode half way to rattlesnake last time, was hoping to do an auburn to hazel ride. easy pickins compared to our canyon runs

mtbr member
    You naughty heheh.

Ain't found a way to kill us yet
    Legs burn with stinging sweat
    Seems every path leads to no bike signs
    Wife and kids household pet
    Enduro Blue was no safe bet
    The hikers scream to me from somewhere

Here they come to snuff us riders, ah yeah
    Yeah here come the riders, yeah
    You know we ain't gonna die
    No, no, no, ya know we ain't gonna die

Here they come to snuff the riders, aww yeah, hey yeah
    No, no, no, ya know we ain't gonna die

Riding singletracks amazing man
    They spit on me, they don't work the land
    Gloria sent me pictures of my bike
    Got my pills 'gainst leg cramps and bonk
    My buddy's bell he'll gladly honk
    Oh god please won't you let me ride it through

Here they come to snuff the riders, ah yeah
    No, no, no ya know we ain't gonna die

Revised for riders. RIP Layne
    Velofix.com for mobile bike repair in Sac

mtbr member
    ^- Brilliant!
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    connector and foresthill loop were pretty dry, some ice out but traction was perfect

mtbr member
    Anyone know if Scotts/Hoot is covered in snow?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    yes, pioneer is a mess too, snow just melted off lower elevation stuff, a lot of trail work going on, that snow was tough on the trees

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Auburn is running awesome right now! Just beware of where you park! There is no roadside parking signs out and the authorities were out taking note yesterday!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon G - MTB NorCal View Post
    Auburn is running awesome right now! Just beware of where you park! There is no roadside parking signs out and the authorities were out taking note yesterday!
    I saw a notice from the Superintendent but in the notice he said in the Confluence. Were the signs just down there or up top too? I was thinking of parking up closer to clem or on Forrest Hill road closer to FHDL, but not in the state parking lot.

...asking for a friend.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Yo! The sign was at the corner or Foresthill Rd and Old Foresthill road. Itís a big message board. I parked in that same area on the corner as the sign is and road a couple Culvert loops. There was people also parked at the mammoth gate as well but I think they will start ticketing at some point. I think you will be good on Foresthill road. I also parked at the turn out into Shortcut trail with no issues.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    I saw a notice from the Superintendent but in the notice he said in the Confluence. Were the signs just down there or up top too? I was thinking of parking up closer to clem or on Forrest Hill road closer to FHDL, but not in the state parking lot.

...asking for a friend.
    We ended up having to park at Mammoth Bar and starting our ride on Confluence then Clementine and finish with Culvert yesterday. Saturday FHDL was ok to park at, but we park at the free parking area anyways.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    How are things looking up there in Nevada City?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kamerdoc23 View Post
    How are things looking up there in Nevada City?
    still a lot of trail work being done from the last storm. Harm market got 4+ ft. Lower elevation stuff has just started to get ok but it dumped heavy rain here for days. All the usual trail groups can't host dig days so its all the locals going out by them selves or with a helper

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for the reply; would love to come help on a trail day when thing get normal, or sooner if I knew about 'covert' operations.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    I hit Nevada City yesterday with a rogue hoe and a rake. Long Distance High-5 to Lauren and her GSD helper - they were raking Pioneer heading uphill from the market. Bigger High 5 to Orion who has been busting ass clearing the bigger debris and cutting out fallen trees.

Someone raked out the top section of Hoot and it is primo. I worked from the road crossing most of the way down, raking out wood debris and carving drains for wet spots. patched a few holes here and there. Bottom quarter of Hoot still could use some love.

Also a virtual evil eye at the group of 10 dudes who were riding yesterday who couldn't be bothered to slow down when passing a trail worker. Strava doesn't matter, you're not going to win, an anyone who thinks that riding 10 ft behind your buddy is enough of a gap right now clearly has never been crop dusted.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Bump cuz I want trail advice!

Next week I'm staying in Loomis for a few days, so I'll have easy access to Granite Bay and Auburn, having never ridden either.

I ride on the XC side of Trail. My usual weekly lap is 15 miles / 3000' at Skeggs, though that's largely time-bound and I could go longer. I like to go medium fast up and medium fast down. I don't usually huck or drop, though I can do a few feet of rock rolls, I recently had a ton of fun on the blues and blacks around Sedona right before travel stopped being a thing. Running a Ripley LS 130/120mm.

[note this is matchy matchy to this other thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/california-n...a-1087259.html ]

Based on searches and reading I'd like to posit the following inquiries and invitations to comment:

(a) Granite Bay is le sux now?
    It's awfully close to where we're staying, but driving 20 minutes to trails people love vs 2 to something people are mad got sanitized is an easy choice. That said, maybe I can get away for one big ride at SRA and a daily short loop at GB, so I'll gladly take advice for <10mi laps there too.

(b) At Auburn SRA I should look into a Confluence, Clementine Forest Hill loop?
    All the little features have obvious go-arounds, yeah? I ride solo and kinda wussy, especially when on-sighting.
    e.g. https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/p...elogid=7811733

(c) It's hot as F?
    I ride in the redwoods when I can, so I'm not accustomed to the heat. What time of day do the wise hit the trails? As early as possible? As late? Doesn't matter, it's gonna be hawt?

Thanks in advance to all ye scholars and gentleriders who can set me straight.

mtbr member
    Granite Bay is not sucky lol. Yeah they made some of the trails easier, but I wouldnít avoid it ESPECIALLY if you like XC. Youíll probably love the place!

However, Auburn is where itís at. FHDL full loop one day ~12 miles (easier) Another day throw down the Clementine, Fuel Break, Culvert, Stone Wall, Confluence Loop (harder). Everything is ďonsiteĒable.

If youíve never been to Auburn and use terms like Onsite for real, M&M (5.8), Uncomfortably Dumb (5.10a), Scale Wall (5.10c), Bionic Bitch Slap (5.11a), Destructimatic (5.11b), Human Oddity (5.11d/12a) and Triathlon 5.12b/c are all stand outs in the quarry.
    2020 Turbo Levo Comp
    2019 Strive CF 8
    2018 Farley EX 8

mtbr member
    Thanks roughster, you've earned some more slack in the e-threads!

Great to hear about GB, that's going to make my "just slipping out for a quick lap" arguments more convincing with the extended family. And I'll try to get out to Auburn for sure.

I don't climb (still wussy) but I hang out with a bunch of former & current dirtbags and always thought climbing slang was way better than MTB slang. It's much better suited to social exchanges and planning, whereas MTB is better for story telling. Compare the utility of [beta, onsite, crux, the YDS numerical rating system] to [braaap, huck, dab, pin, green/blue/black]. Anyhow, appreciate the suggestions anyhow, generous of you.