Auburn was fantastic today! (2/16)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr dismember

Auburn was fantastic today! (2/16)

It's now been 53 weeks since my knees went out, and I've done 5-6 easy rides at New Melones since Christmas. I had an Auburn "commemorative" one year anniversary ride planned for last week with Cohenfive, but I was hurting too much to try it. It's been pretty frustrating because the knees generally feel pretty good while riding, and often even the next day. But a few days later they really get hurting and I have to take it easy for 1- 2 weeks. But given the weather lately, and the fact that it's pretty boring trying to get much time in at New Melones, I figured it was time to try a real trail with some climbing and rocks. So I did the Foresthill Divide Loop at Auburn today. I finished that in about two hours so I did some out and back on the Connector to bring it up a bit over three hours. Although I certainly feel I could do much more, I'm trying to act responsibly for a change. However, I'm terrified of falling and I almost wish I would get the first fall out of the way so perhaps I'll relax a bit and be able to go faster on the downhills.

The pace was pretty slow, but much to my surprise, I made most of the climbs, except some of the longer ones, on which my shriveled up lungs gave out. Regardless, the weather was spectacular and the trails were in great shape. I started out wearing my 4th new set of knee pads (Dainese - 3X), but within a few minutes they really rubbed me the wrong way. So I had to go back and put on my flimsy old Fox Standards. I stopped for a few photos here and there. Most are below.

Last edited by Wherewolf; 02-16-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Feeling a little taller
    Welcome back!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr member
    Nice pics. Today was a great day for a ride. I know exactly what you mean about being terrified of falling but wanting to get that first one out of the way. I almost went OTB at slow speed today but saved it. Mixed feelings on it
    :wq

aka dan51
    Awesome to have you back out there.

Looks like you never got a Gravity Dropper or Speedball. If you're worried about falling, get that seat out of the way and give yourself room to move on the bike. It's a huge confidence booster.

jrm
    mtbr member

Great to hear

does look like a real nice day out there. Weird about your knees hurting 2 or more days after you ride..see ya round..

pewpewpew Moderator
    good to see you out on the bike! when are we goign to do a "welcome back" ride?!
    Love, Impy

mtbr dismember

A bit premature?

Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    good to see you out on the bike! when are we going to do a "welcome back" ride?!
    I think you may be a bit premature. I won't even know until Wednesday or Thursday if this ride was a good idea. I think it will be a long time before I can ride with you.

Trail Goddess

Good to hear you're back.

I met a couple of your fans yesterday on the Forest Hill Loop. They told me they love to watch the videos, but almost didn't try Flume because the video scared them.

Fiona
    Come to the Dark Side, we have cookies!!

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiona
    I met a couple of your fans yesterday on the Forest Hill Loop. They told me they love to watch the videos, but almost didn't try Flume because the video scared them.
    Isn't perspective funny? I was afraid to try the flume when I heard how much exposure there was, but it was wherewolf's video that made me decide to try. Same with Cannell plunge!

Oh, steve, speaking of which, remember when we last did the flume, we met a couple from LA who were also on the shuttle - guy and a girl - well i just ran into that girl this weekend in orange county on a ride and she recognized me and remembered our group. How random is that!
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    steve, glad you got out there today, very much looking forward to our 'shakedown' ride whenever you want. keep listening to your body and don't over do it right now...as much as you'd like to!!

see 'ya soon....

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I think you may be a bit premature. I won't even know until Wednesday or Thursday if this ride was a good idea. I think it will be a long time before I can ride with you.
    Many of us look forward to riding with you again on the trails, myself included. And you know my pace won't burn you out.

How does your leg pain compare to that before the knee replacement? It sounds like you're better off than before, if you don't hurt until a couple days after riding. And didn't the doc say you'd eventually be able to ride just fine?

As for the gravity dropper, I've found it really helps on control in steep downhills, technical, and tight switchbacks. At first I was using it almost continuously. But then being on my legs all the time at my size, I found my knees and back started hurting. If I reduce my use of the Gravity Dropper to those few times it's really needed, then I'm fine. So with your painful knees, you may want to use it sparingly if you get one.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr dismember

More dangerous

It's even more dangerous relying on my videos to get a sense of a trail. All videos make the trails look pretty tame, but mine are worse because I can't ride the more technical stuff. The Flume is the only exception. It looks more dangerous on the video than it really is.

Impy - I've searched my rides and we have never done the Flume together. Maybe this year on the way to Kingsbury

BigLarry - I had a speedball on order when the knees went out and I canceled the order. It seems like I've read too many stores of all the dropping seat-posts breaking. The knees feel a lot better than before the surgery.

Cohenfive - Auburn again next Saturday!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    glad to hear the knees feel better than they did before the surgery--this means trouble for me!!

can't do it next saturday, family visiting.

MTBr ReMember
    Steve,
    Welcome back...you are riding which is the point.

Your delayed pain is bone mass coming back greet it with a grimace of joy.
    Like the day you got the first rev on the trainer.

'Got a great ride with two awesome Betty's yesterday...needed a ride partner to get video...

Tim (packing for Sedona...)

mtbr member
    That's some serious climbing to test out the Bionic Knee's. I hope they pass the test.

Welcome Back. I look forward to seeing out on the trail.

JPS

mtbr dismember

Sedona!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMTB
    Tim (packing for Sedona...)
    Sedona! I'm jealous. I was hoping we could ride there on my spring break, March 22 - 31. Scout out some easy trails I can ride.

MTBr ReMember
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    Sedona! I'm jealous. I was hoping we could ride there on my spring break, March 22 - 31. Scout out some easy trails I can ride.
    Steve...Jealous?
    Dude you are driving!
    The trails are calling your name...
    Bike and Bean has a pad above the shop just across the road from awesome RedRock goodness...(Motel6 is in town near the Vortex!)
    Check Pete's '03 Sedona vid.

I've been waiting for you to quit your day job so we could get some "real" riding in.
    I'll settle for 3 months in summer and those State mandated holidays...Cesar Chevez day is in there I heard!

Tim

Members who have read this thread: 0