Auburn B'day ride 4/6?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr dismember

Auburn B'day ride 5/6?

I'm one year closer to the grave this Thursday. Anybody want to do Auburn this Saturday, May 6 at 9:30 am? Last time I went it was below freezing. I'd like to get in 25-30 miles there before it becomes 100 degrees the rest of the summer. Of course since I'll be a year older I could be even slower.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 04-30-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Feeling a little taller
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I'm one year closer to the grave this Thursday. Anybody want to do Auburn this Saturday (4/6) at 9:30 am? Last time I went it was below freezing. I'd like to get in 25-30 miles there before it becomes 100 degrees the rest of the summer. Of course since I'll be a year older I could be even slower.
    Did you mean 5/6? If so, you share a birthday with Son of Dan'ger!

Not sure if you'd be interested, but we're doing a ride at Black Diamond Mines in the East Bay that day. We would love to have you along!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

mtbr dismember

Whoops, 5/6

Quote Originally Posted by Dan'ger
    Did you mean 5/6? Not sure if you'd be interested, but we're doing a ride at Black Diamond Mines in the East Bay that day. We would love to have you along!
    I meant 5/6. Apparently you can't edit the title of the tread so perhaps nobody will read it. Tell me about Black Diamond.

Feeling a little taller
    Tell me about Black Diamond.
    Well, the ride description from the BTCEB/SMD thread is:
    May 6, Saturday 9:00 A.M.
    Black Diamond Mines
    Leader Eric Muhler, 510-520-0423. Meet at Black Diamond Mines Regional Preserve - Black Diamond Way/Clayton Road., just east of downtown Clayton.
    We will do a North/South tour of Black Diamond Mines, stopping at Contra Loma Reservoir for lunch and return via a loop. Advanced, strenuous ride.
    23+ miles, 4000 ft gain. Rain cancels.
    The park is primarily fireroad but it is a big park. Park Brochure Park Map

BDM has alot of history from the manual labor coal mining days of California and historic sites to prove it. As well, the peaks in BDM look onto Mt. D from the northeast for views not normally seen.

It also gives views to the north of the Delta and surrounding valley if you look over the chemical plants in Pittsburg.

More discussion is here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...12255#poststop

mtbr dismember

No thanks

The park is primarily fireroad...
    No thanks. I get one good ride per week so it ain't going to be mostly fire road. Please don't respond to this thread. I've started a new one with the correct date. If any moderator sees this please delete the entire thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No thanks. I get one good ride per week so it ain't going to be mostly fire road. Please don't respond to this thread. I've started a new one with the correct date. If any moderator sees this please delete the entire thread.

Wow, could you be anymore of a d*ck about it?

mtbr dismember

What?

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaa
    Wow, could you be anymore of a d*ck about it?
    You've obviously read something into my reply that wasn't there. You don't know my relationship with Dan'ger, you don't know my riding preferences, nor the injuries which prevent me from riding anytime I want like the rest of you. Dan's a big boy, I know he wasn't hurt like you seem to be. If you like riding fire roads then more power to you. But I won't call you a ...

Since you can't rename a thread I'm trying to leave this one alone so it fades away, or is removed.
    Last edited by Wherewolf; 04-30-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Feeling a little taller
    You've obviously read something into my reply that wasn't there. You don't know my relationship with Dan'ger, you don't know my riding preferences, nor the injuries which prevent me from riding anytime I want like the rest of you. Dan's a big boy, I know he wasn't hurt like you seem to be. If you like riding fire roads then more power to you. But I won't call you a ...

Since you can't rename a thread I'm trying to leave this one alone so it fades away, or is removed.
    Well, I understood what you meant but it was a bit terse.

Remember, some people thought it rude that Nancy Reagan was preaching "Just say no." Drug dealers have feelings, too - just say "no thank you."

mtbr dismember

How about no thanks, you?

Well, I understood what you meant but it was a bit terse. Remember, some people thought it rude that Nancy Reagan was preaching "Just say no." Drug dealers have feelings, too - just say "no thank you."
    How about "no thanks, you"? I didn't just say no, I said "no thanks". Isn't that the same as "no thank you"? Please confirm so Shwaa won't stay awake tonight worrying about your fragile ego. He isn't invited to my B'day ride because he is too serious. Watch how serious his reply to this is

Feeling a little taller
    How about "no thanks, you"? I didn't just say no, I said "no thanks". Isn't that the same as "no thank you"? Please confirm so Shwaa won't stay awake tonight worrying about your fragile ego. He isn't invited to my B'day ride because he is too serious. Watch how serious his reply to this is
    Yeah, close enough. See you on a ride before it gets too hot!

Slowest Rider

We understand Steve

Those who know Steve (Wherewolf) know how picky he can be about his rides and his ride style, and we also understand why.

Steve has knees that give him throbbing pain the whole week after each ride, getting better with lots of meds over several days - just in time for next weeks ride and the next knee bashing. But his love of MTB is so strong he suffers the pain anyway. So he wants to optimize that MTB time with the best rides he can do, often driving 4 hours or more to get to and from the ride. He also can't stop long for breaks due to his knees. (He has sections on his web site discussing his knee issue in horrid detail.)

I've ridden on several occasions with Steve and found him to be a great guy and very friendly ride partner, waiting for me even though my tourist stop style aggravates his knees and occasionally his picture agenda. But as for his statements here, he's really got a limited set of rides he can do and he's trying to make the best of it, so it just seems unfriendly and inflexible to others who don't understand.

And he DID say "no thanks".
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr dismember

The check is in the mail!

Thanks, the check is in the mail! I really don't like to have to explain myself to every stranger. I just want to ride when I can and anybody who is willing to accept my limitations is welcome to ride with me. But people with no sense of humor need not apply. Life is too short, especially with another birthday approaching, to worry about such crap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, the check is in the mail! I really don't like to have to explain myself to every stranger. I just want to ride when I can and anybody who is willing to accept my limitations is welcome to ride with me. But people with no sense of humor need not apply. Life is too short, especially with another birthday approaching, to worry about such crap.
    Hey Ive got a great sense of humor....

Anyway, my apologies for jumping on you case for something that was "inside". Hope your birthday ride is a good one!

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

This explains why...

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Steve has knees that give him throbbing pain the whole week after each ride, getting better with lots of meds over several days - just in time for next weeks ride and the next knee bashing.
    This explains why he is such a throbbing pain for the rest of the week.
    I've ridden on several occasions with Steve and found him to be a great guy and very friendly ride partner, waiting for me even though my tourist stop style aggravates his knees and occasionally his picture agenda. But as for his statements here, he's really got a limited set of rides he can do and he's trying to make the best of it, so it just seems unfriendly and inflexible to others who don't understand.
    Steve can be a bit terse, it's not personal that's just his style.

Hey wasn't this thread supposed to be deleted?

mtbr dismember

Get off this thread

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Steve can be a bit terse, it's not personal that's just his style. Hey wasn't this thread supposed to be deleted?
    Get off this thread so it can fade to the bottom
    Scientists are supposed to be terse. Besides, it's my birthday so I can do what I want.

Feeling a little taller
    Get off this thread so it can fade to the bottom
    Scientists are supposed to be terse. Besides, it's my birthday so I can do what I want.
    Well, now that this is the official happy birthday you old fart thread, we can't just delete it.

OK, well, happy birthday! Have we melted the icing off the cake with all of the candles yet?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Well, now that this is the official happy birthday you old fart thread, we can't just delete it.

OK, well, happy birthday! Have we melted the icing off the cake with all of the candles yet?
    Still working on getting the burn permit to light the sucker up.

mtbr dismember

Ulterior motives

I normally don't advertise my birthday. But it may be the only way to get some people to drive more than 10 miles to a ride. Oops, now I'm a d**k again. You may recall that the video camera froze after the first tape on our last ride at Auburn. Perhaps I'll take it this time.

Feeling a little taller
    I normally don't advertise my birthday. But it may be the only way to get some people to drive more than 10 miles to a ride. Oops, now I'm a d**k again. You may recall that the video camera froze after the first tape on our last ride at Auburn. Perhaps I'll take it this time.
    I'll bet Annadel's totally rideable by the 13th...I'll bring my camera as a spare - I bet yours takes the same tapes and batteries.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Would love to butt...

Can't afford the travel time before June 6th, voting day.

Happy Birthday! Birthday's are a wonderful excuse for getting folks together for a ride!
    Can we talk tires now?

mtbr dismember

Annadel the 13th?

I'll bet Annadel's totally rideable by the 13th...I'll bring my camera as a spare - I bet yours takes the same tapes and batteries.
    Annadel the 13th sounds good. VTT and I did it last Saturday and it was great. Do you have a helmet cam mount yet? Plenty of time to get one.

Feeling a little taller
    Annadel the 13th sounds good. VTT and I did it last Saturday and it was great. Do you have a helmet cam mount yet? Plenty of time to get one.
    No, no mount yet. I might not do it either. We're a single income household until mommy goes back to work so my Monopoly money has dried up for a while.

Besides, what can you see riding at night besides people falling down and busting collarbones?

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

You could do the Slow Poke Ride at Auburn?

I don't know how familiar you are with the trail in Auburn... I'm sure you've been there before. But if you do the Clementine-Foresthill-Confluence loop it shouldn't be too rough on da knees. The big climbs are all fairly tame along that route.

mtbr dismember

Another 5 miles or so?

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    ...do the Clementine-Foresthill-Confluence loop it shouldn't be too rough on da knees...
    We did that last winter and we wanted just a bit more after we finished. Is there something to add on in the middle to bring it closer to 30 miles? Once we got back to the cars we didn't feel like going out again.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Well

We did that last winter and we wanted just a bit more after we finished. Is there something to add on in the middle to bring it closer to 30 miles? Once we got back to the cars we didn't feel like going out again.
    You could start out by climbing Stagecoach, ride down Manzinita (very fun DH) then back down to the bottom... reason I'm not super fond of that option is that it involved riding back down the Stagecoach fireroad for about 1.5 miles (Manzinita goes about 1.5 miles then dumps you back onto Stagecoach). That would add about 3-4 miles to the beginning of your ride not the 5 you were hoping for but it's an 800' climb that will work you. If you really want to go 30 miles you could turn left at the end of Manzanita and go up Stagecoach again to upper Upper Stagecoach and Flood trail. Flood trail dumps you out onto Stagecoach as well and even lower down than Manzanita. I agree that it is very hard to ride extra once you get back to the car but if you ride it at the very beginning it shouldn't be a problem. People who have trouble with riding the full 30 miles can just turn around at the end of the Connector Trail to save 10 miles.

Members who have read this thread: 0