ART - Arnold Rim Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

ART - Arnold Rim Trail

A buddy and I plan on riding the ART real early on friday morning. I've tried to gather as much info as I can; but that hasn't been much beyond stop at the Rangers Station and ask for a provisional map.

Anybody ridden this and have advice on routes ? Any tips or things too look out for ?

I'm under the impression it's some nice singletrack w/ a fair biut of climbing and some technical stuff here and there ?

Thanks

Like a boss.
    Don't buy the map at SNAC; definitely get the map from the Forest Service rangers. I personally think the best way to do it is to shuttle it since right now it's an out-and-back. You'll have plenty of climbing and descending no matter which way you shuttle.

The trail is mostly a combination of new singletrack and existing fire roads. There's incredible views from the peak at the top; I think it's Marten Peak? There's nothing super technical about most of the trail though some of the fire road climbs are steep. There's a fun set of berms at the eastern end that you can turn into jumps if you ride them right. Most of the trail's in the shade so you don't totally burn up. There's a really awesome swoopy section by the eastern creek crossing that's a lot of fun.

Have fun and don't forget to go to Snowshoe Brewery for a post-ride beer and burger!

Quote Originally Posted by jbt56
    Are you a whiny Marin liberal, or a hand-wringing Berkeley liberal?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks! I'll definitely stop in for a beer and burger post-ride.

I was under the impression that there were some technical sections/stuff based off the most recent review I could find...

"reviewed by [email protected] on May 30, 2010

this trail system is awesome, there is something for everyone. Plenty of technical tracks with everything from roots to log rides, ruts and jumps. definitely get a map, i spent most of the day lost, but trails are marked just not very well, if you have a gps, bring it! cant go wrong with this spot beautiful views betters rides"

Is this a little over zealous ?

mtbr dismember

Map courtesy of Obi

I received a map in the mail yesterday from Obi and scanned it as a pdf. It is available here. There are a few tracks posted on Garmin Connect so perhaps they can also help. Please post ride details. I'd like to try this trail soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf
    I received a map in the mail yesterday from Obi and scanned it as a pdf. It is available here. There are a few tracks posted on Garmin Connect so perhaps they can also help. Please post ride details. I'd like to try this trail soon.
    Thank you. I used your .pdf map and rode Glory Hole last Friday, great ride and map!

So I'm looking at this map... to anyone who has done this, is it best to start and Avery and ride up into Arnold/White Pines ? Or vice versa ? I was planning on doiing an out and back initially as I heard it's about 10 miles one way correct ?

Thanks!

Like a boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewN209
    Thank you. I used your .pdf map and rode Glory Hole last Friday, great ride and map!

So I'm looking at this map... to anyone who has done this, is it best to start and Avery and ride up into Arnold/White Pines ? Or vice versa ? I was planning on doiing an out and back initially as I heard it's about 10 miles one way correct ?

Thanks!
    When my friends and I did it we started at the trailhead above the logging museum. We didn't ride the fire road up 'cause we were pressed for time and wanted to focus on singletrack. There's room for a couple of cars at the trailhead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha426
    When my friends and I did it we started at the trailhead above the logging museum. We didn't ride the fire road up 'cause we were pressed for time and wanted to focus on singletrack. There's room for a couple of cars at the trailhead.
    So did you do an out and back ? Is this the way you'd recommend ?

I generally prefer to ride the route with the most "up" on the way in and sail out... would you recommend we start at the logging museum or other end ?

Thanks.

Like a boss.
    Due to our time constraints, we only had time to start from the logging museum, ride to the peak, and ride back. So I actually don't know what the western end is like - sorry, I should have made that clear. But there's a bunch of others here who have ridden it so hopefully they'll chime in. You can also do a search for other threads about the ART. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, we had a terrible time! It started off promising (started at the Avery - Sheep Ranch Rd Trailhead).

A few miles in we came to the conclusion that we were off the ART... we stopped seeing the ART stickers just trail markers that said most difficult. We came to the end of trail... P20 I think ?

While it was a blast to go down some real steep rock gardens... it was a pain in the ass to get back up! Very steep, very dusty and very loose.

That wasn't all that bad... I've been on several trails that were way too hard for me to ride up and I just ride what I can and hike-a-bike what I can't.

There were thousands of mosquito's. Literally thousands. The only way to get away from them was to get going over 10mph... which was impossible most of the time on steep, technical climbs. We ended up finding the ART signs, heading back to truck and heading to New Melones. Grabbed lunch, smashed up and down Tower Climb and called it a day.

About 25 mosquito bites later and 5 or so swallowed bugs... ART looks promising. Very promising; but if you go off the beaten path it's pretty hard to get back up and the bugs were UNBEARABLE.

my legs are sore

Interface trails

Sounds like you ended up riding the Interface Trail network. I've gotten lost back there too. I didn't know my way around the trails and ended up going the wrong direction on a bunch of them. Needless to say there was a lot of hike-a-bike. You can get a map of the Interface Trails from the Forest Service building in Hathaway Pines. Might keep you from getting lost next time.
    Every time you clog a toilet you have exceeded someone's expectations.

Obi
    -_-
    Oct 2005
    @Wherewolf..

Now, someone get out there w/ a Garmin and get some better mapping like I keep saying?

Like a boss.

ART exploring

So the b/f and I went up to the cabin this weekend and decided to do a little exploring on and around the ART. Previously, we checked out the eastern end of the trail near White Pines, so this time we headed to the western end near Avery.

As we did at the eastern end, we discovered some... well... questionable ART routing decisions. [Long story short, the ART alignment at this time seems to alternate between super-awesome singletrack and fire roads at ridiculous grades.] Early in our ride, the alignment presented us with a long, rutted, fire road downhill that (1) wasn't terribly exciting and (2) looked like one more rain would turn it into a quagmire (seriously, USFS?!?). After a creek crossing, we came to a junction with P9, which was labeled "most difficult". This sounded promising, so we pushed to the top, and discovered that P9 is an excellent, steep downhill trail with some neat technical sections. Wooo! We then continued along the ART route, riding some beautiful traverses (the foliage was really stellar) before starting the fire road climbs up to Cougar Rock. Cougar Rock was cool, but... well, unless you bring lead climbing gear (it's a nice face of rock), I'm not quite sure what the point is - it doesn't have the views of Manuel Peak. Once you get to the Rock, it's a steep fire road descent on the ART, and we got the feeling that bypassing the climb/descent on trail P10 would have been more interesting (thoughts from any who have ridden it?). After a party stop, we decided to try to find a way back to the car that didn't involve riding down the same fire roads we had just climbed, so we went down P8. What a blast!! P8 is a fast, swoopy downhill that had us grinning from ear to ear. We even found a neat little jump on which I could practice my nascent jumping skills. We made it back to P9, pushed our bikes back up, and rode fire road/singletrack back to the official ART route and the car.

The attached map displays what we thought would make the best loop from the parking lot near Sheep Ranch Rd (highlighted in green, and ridden clockwise). I'd love to hear what others have to say about this loop, if they'd make any changes or additions. We wanted to check out P14 as an alternative to the final part of the ride but we didn't have time. Anyone know if it's worth it? We're really looking forward to doing more exploring along these trails. The ART is definitely a work-in-progress but it has a ton of potential and there's obviously a dedicated group of people working hard to make it great.

Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 0