mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Arrowhead Trail in Sierra Vista Open Space / Alum Rock Park

I came across a map of the Sierra Vista portion of the Bay Area Ridge Trail that shows an interesting looking "Arrowhead Trail" running parallel to Alum Rock Falls Road, up the incline along Penitencia Creek. Its marked as multi-use, and crosses the creek higher up the slope to eventually rejoin Lower Calaveras Fault Trail. I haven't ridden that section of the Fault Trail myself, but what I've read about it makes it seem not all that exciting. Wondering if Arrowhead might provide a more attractive option. Interestingly, I've never seen it mentioned on any ride-guide reviews, and doesn't show up on the maps for ARP or SVOSP themselves. Anyone been on this trail? Thoughts? Thanks!

Arrowhead Trail in Sierra Vista Open Space / Alum Rock Park-2366337d-9380-430e-be1c-6f99980958a4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Interesting, is that a new trail? I ride there often and haven't seen it. Though I think that whole east section is closed off right now..

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It's all open again, I rode there yesterday and all the "area closed" signs were removed. No longer shows any restrictions on the open space website either.

I don't think it's a new trail. The map I found is dated Dec '16, and the filename includes date Oct '17: Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve | Bay Area Ridge Trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I find this intriguing but I can't find any evidence online of this trail existing -- no other map, no mention of it anywhere, no traces on the Strava heatmap. If anybody rides around there soon hopefully they can take a look -- otherwise I would guess it's an error on the Ridge Trail map?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great find. Im very familiar with this area as well. Ive explored a few fireroads along the fault trail (where it says "closed area" on your map above), but havent seen any evidence of the arrowhead trail. I wonder if this an old trail from way back, or if this a planned new future trail. Sure would be a nice alternative to the steep AF Fault trail/road. Now I need to go take a closer look.

Over it
    Jun 2010
    The Calaveras Trail is just sort of a bland fireroad climb, so a s/t option from the top could definitely make it worth the effort.

Connick- Did you ride the new trail?

Nevermind- I got excited about a new trail and forgot you were the OP!
    Last edited by dirtvert; 1 Week Ago at 03:01 PM.
    The broken are the more evolved. Rejoice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I did not - yesterday was my first time being that far back in the hills, so everything was new to me - I just rode down to the Fault Trail creek crossing, then turned around. It wasn't till I was poking around maps afterwards that I found the one I linked... maybe I'll try make it back out next weekend and see if there's anything there.