mtbr member

Aptos fire road w a double bike trailer?

We are visiting Santa Cruz this week. I have my 23mo twins tomorrow while Mom goes into town with the 4yo. I was thinking of taking them up this road for a ride because itís easy to quit any time... just turn around. But Iíve never been on it. MTB Project implies itís becoming like single track due to mostly bike use. Could I take the double bike trailer or not? Itís a decent one, Cougar 2 with leaf springs, so they wonít be miserable. I just want to know if the road is still wide enough. Even if itís just ok halfway up itíll still be a solid ride for me.

bad reputation
    It should be totally doable, thereís a narrow gate (sometimes two,) that may present a challenge, but the fire road itself is a great way to get into the forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    We are visiting Santa Cruz this week. I have my 23mo twins tomorrow while Mom goes into town with the 4yo. I was thinking of taking them up this road for a ride because itís easy to quit any time... just turn around. But Iíve never been on it. MTB Project implies itís becoming like single track due to mostly bike use. Could I take the double bike trailer or not? Itís a decent one, Cougar 2 with leaf springs, so they wonít be miserable. I just want to know if the road is still wide enough. Even if itís just ok halfway up itíll still be a solid ride for me.
    you need to borrow a ebike??

That trail is kinda flat for 3 miles then 3-4 % for a couple miles. Then it's like a consistent 6% forever.

It will be very, very cold for the kids since no sun gets in there.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    An e bike may be in my future due to my bum ticker but Iím not there yet! Trailer is enclosed and they have jackets, weather is clear.

Iíll be on an orange Salsa with a red and gray trailer and a watermelon helmet if anyone passes me and wants to say hi

singletrack bound
    May see you out there. I'm planning on riding in the AM.

If you park outside the park in the dirt lot near Epicenter Bikes off Soquel Dr. in Aptos Village you'll ride pavement the first .5 miles to the State Park kiosk which they have been manning quite regular lately. ($10.00 day use fee to drive into the park)

You should be OK depending how wide your trailer is. The winter gate is locked (the first gate in) and is a kinda narrow opening going around I'm guessing about a 24/30 inch opening maybe? That gate is probably under 2 mi. in and then after that you'll go for awhile and hit a parking area and the second green gate which is a wider opening i'm pretty sure. That's about 3mi. in and then about .75 mi further you will come to the bottom of the incline and then it starts going up hill. Sand Point is at about mile 9 which is a overlook where you get a ocean view looking towards Capitola and Santa Cruz.

The fireroad is firming up pretty good now so not too soft. Keep an eye out for bikes coming down as the weekends can be pretty busy with all kinds of visitors, families on hikes, bikes, dogs, small kids and such. Dress warm it's cool in the shade. If you find sunlight it's a bonus!!

If you are visiting from out of town there is another bike/trailer/kid option too that might be pretty cool. Go down to Rio Del Mar Flats/Beach. Park in the lot and you have a 2 to 3 plus mile strand along the beach that is paved and in the sunshine. The County just opened up a piece just left of the Rio beach Flats that will connect you to Beach Drive and you can go about a mile that direction (south?) and back too. Check out the Cement Ship and the Seacliff Visitors Center @ Seacliff Beach.

After my ride in the AM the wife and I are going to pull our travel trailer down there to Seacliff Beach and stay through New Years.

mtbr member
    Itís afternoon for me. Hope you had a good ride. Thanks everyone for the intel!

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    .................................................. ........
    After my ride in the AM the wife and I are going to pull our travel trailer down there to Seacliff Beach and stay through New Years.
    TNB we are in B18. Did you get in? No bike for for me this this trip but can still lift up 16oz.+ Here until at least Thurs. eve.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

singletrack bound
    In B9 leaving this afternoon......

mtbr member
    I took the twins from the guard shack up to the point on the map marked Start Of The Incline, and about a 200 feet past that I said "heck with this," and coasted back down to a picnic area and let them out to play. Then, since my ride wasn't there yet, I rode back past the guard shack to Epicenter bike shop and bought a sticker. I'd have liked to make the overlook but it just wasn't going to happen on my schedule.

(My ride in the meanwhile took the 4yo to Pacific Street and made candles.)

I stayed on the fire road the whole time. It's quite smooth. You don't need a MTB. I think any old bike could do it as far as I went, if you didn't have a trailer full of 2yos and a bum ticker! No TP in the pit toilet, be prepared.

Lots of kind comments from other trail users. As I stopped to play with the twins or feed them I kept leap-frogging some walkers, and then it happened again with the same group on the way down, which was fun. A couple of times I saw people recognize each other and stop to talk. A teen boy was jogging with two girls, I overheard him saying "Yeah, where I live is beautiful, and I would love to share it with you." I bet you would, dude!

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I took the twins from the guard shack up to the point on the map marked Start Of The Incline, and about a 200 feet past that I said "heck with this," and coasted back down to a picnic area and let them out to play. Then, since my ride wasn't there yet, I rode back past the guard shack to Epicenter bike shop and bought a sticker. I'd have liked to make the overlook but it just wasn't going to happen on my schedule.

I stayed on the fire road the whole time. It's quite smooth. You don't need a MTB. I think any old bike could do it as far as I went, if you didn't have a trailer full of 2yos and a bum ticker! No TP in the pit toilet, be prepared.

Lots of kind comments from other trail users. As I stopped to play with the twins or feed them I kept leap-frogging some walkers, and then it happened again with the same group on the way down, which was fun. A couple of times I saw people recognize each other and stop to talk. A teen boy was jogging with two girls, I overheard him saying "Yeah, where I live is beautiful, and I would love to share it with you." I bet you would, dude!
    Right on. Nice job.

I used to ride with a trailer all the time, pulling my son. I was a singlespeeder then though and had the torque and the curiousity.

That is the hallowed ground of riding for South Santa Cruz area. All renegade, aside from the 14 mile fire road.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Poaching in Santa Cruz? The hell you say

singletrack bound

bad reputation

Glad you made it out there, it is a beautiful park. Did the trailer make it through the gate go-arounds?
    Not sure what day you were out there, but Monday was incredibly windy and chilly. Rode up with a few buddies and folks were saying things like ďthereís big branches falling all over the place!Ē People looked at us as though we were crazy, which may not be far off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sunday. No worse than clammy. All the gates I went by were open

singletrack bound
    All the gates I went by were open
    That's because Santa Cruz Co. Sheriff Dept had a command post set up in the dirt lot at the entrance to the park and were looking for a missing mtb'r that left for a ride at 2:00 PM the day before and never returned home. He was found around 10:00 that morning over by the Cabrillo Horticulture laying/sleeping in the sunshine. So all the gates were open for their vehicles to go in and out.