Anyone wanna help shuttle South Lake Tahoe this Fri/Sat???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

Anyone wanna help shuttle South Lake Tahoe this Fri/Sat???

Going to do a few rides this Fri/Sat around South Lake. Not trying to mess around with this Sacramento heat! Anyone interested in trying to get together and shuttle?

Thinking about doing Spooner Summit-->Genoa (Cold Creek Trail, amazing, 14 miles of mostly downhill!), Echo to Strawberry (Pony Express)... On the same note, does anyone know of a site or forum specifically trying to match people who want to shuttle rides?

I know OTE in South Lake also does some shuttle services that look pretty good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You may have a couple trails confused.

The Clear Creek trail drops from Spooner Summit, but you end up on Jacks Valley Road, about 6-7 miles from Genoa.

The Sierra Canyon Trail drops from Rim Trail down to Genoa. It's about 10 miles downhill, but in my experience, wasn't that fun. It may have gotten better.

OTE will take you to Kingsbury Summit so you can take the Rim Trail to SCT down to Genoa. I don't know if they'll take you to Spooner.

One time, a long time ago, we parked at Echo Summit and got someone from the Strawberry Lodge to drive one of us back to Echo. They don't normally do that, I think we got lucky.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks Brah! Yeah, might have my names wrong. We did the Spooner ride last year, and to me most of that stuff in the valley is "genoa" to me, all looks the same I thought it was a pretty fun ride, not necessarily super challenging but lots of descending, which is my steeze!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    For anyone who followed this thread, did the ride that OTE does. Left a car at the top of kinsberry (turn left @ N Benjamin) and rode Dagget Trail, crossed over 207 and then climbed up and took Vonsickle down and ended up at Blue Dogs by Raleys, and had a beer while my buddy took a $20 uber back up to get his car. Saved a little over the OTE option. Also, that ride has way more climbing that I would ever want to do for a shuttle, so next time I would try the Kingsberry Stinger route instead. Fun day though either way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    ^ Yeah, that climb up to Van Sickle is kind of stout. But almost every shuttle around SLT has climbing. OTE used to drop you off in Heavenly proper, then it was just a short climb up to the trail. Uber shuttles could definitely become popular!
    Ride fast. Huck bravely. Waste no beer. Safety third.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolo_MTB View Post
    t Blue Dogs by Raleys, and had a beer while my buddy took a $20 uber back up to get his car. Saved a little over the OTE option.
    Another way you can get up the hill w/o Uber is to take the local bus ($4?). You can catch it from Transit Drive near the Gondola and it can drop you off on Tramway near the trail.
    Some of those buses even have bike racks.
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    For anyone who followed this thread, did the ride that OTE does. Left a car at the top of kinsberry (turn left @ N Benjamin) and rode Dagget Trail, crossed over 207 and then climbed up and took Vonsickle down and ended up at Blue Dogs by Raleys, and had a beer while my buddy took a $20 uber back up to get his car. Saved a little over the OTE option. Also, that ride has way more climbing that I would ever want to do for a shuttle, so next time I would try the Kingsberry Stinger route instead. Fun day though either way.
    FYI next time if you time it right you can skip the $20 uber and take the bus (go blue I think?) from heavenly village up to the top of Kingsberry grade for $3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Yeah I looked at that option, but wanted to get as close to the trail-head as possible. Bus drops you off on right side of 207, but the actual trail is about 2 miles mostly uphill on the left side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone wanna help shuttle South Lake Tahoe this Fri/Sat???-tway.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah I looked at that option, but wanted to get as close to the trail-head as possible. Bus drops you off on right side of 207, but the actual trail is about 2 miles mostly uphill on the left side.
    Maybe I misunderstood, but my suggestion was for self shuttling back to the top of kingsbury grade after you descend Von Sickle. The bus loops through Tramway dr so you can actually get dropped right up near the Eagles nest and it's a short climb up a heavenly fireroad to jump on the TRT above boulder.