Anyone up for riding Coe this weekend(May 6 or 7)? Coe Virgin alert- Mtbr.com
    Let's ride

Smile Anyone up for riding Coe this weekend(May 6 or 7)? Coe Virgin alert

My Name is Rensho and i'm a Coe Virgin. What's worst is i live next door to a expert class mtb'er who rides Coe ~30 times a year, and I've lived in the bay area for 30 years. Can anyone help?

Rensho charity ride, show and tell. I promise not to whine because the ride is too hilly.
    Flowers are bloomin, water's running, weather is Coe friendly...
    As a special offer to the first 10 callers, I'll offer to carry with me 1.5liters of wine and some cheese to go along with the beautiful may flowers.

PLIM?
    Dan51 and the Law?

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    My Name is Rensho and i'm a Coe Virgin. What's worst is i live next door to a expert class mtb'er who rides Coe ~30 times a year, and I've lived in the bay area for 30 years. Can anyone help?

Rensho charity ride, show and tell. I promise not to whine because the ride is too hilly.
    As a special offer to the first 10 callers, I'll offer to carry with me 1.5liters of wine and some cheese to go along with the beautiful may flowers.

PLIM?
    Dan51 and the Law?
    Cheese and wine, this starts to sound like a date frolicking in the wild flowers...
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

aka baycat
    wait we can deflower virgins on this ride!

I am a maybe as a coe n00b.

Ryan

Let's ride
    Zorg, i see your jersey already holds baguettes. Great! We'll need a few of those as well.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I'll probably be up for a little ride (around 3K ft ascent) - sounds like fun
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Paper or plastic?
    Zorg, i see your jersey already holds baguettes. Great! We'll need a few of those as well.
    Actually, I picked this on a French website. The guy is riding with bottle of win in one pocket et bread in the other. The jersey logo says: Le vin rouge (the red wine). I figured that it was just plain appropriate.

I can't do a big ride this w-e (house remodeling with dad), but I was thinking about doing the Henry Coe ride for MBTB. Will there be a C option?

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I hear the call...

I think I can ride Saturday. Don't know for sure yet. If I can make it I'd like an early start to take advantage of the cool morning on the first climb. I'm doing the Grizzly Peak Century Sunday, so I don't want to make an all-day epic out of it, but we can get in some good miles.

We could start up Anza and Jackson from a start at the Coyote Creek entrance (if early enough to grab the few parking spots there), down to China Hole, up towards (but not all the way to) HQ, down Middle Ridge, cheat by taking Creekside back to China Hole (may not be possible, depending on how much water is there), and back via Grapevine, etc. Lots of the best singletrack in the park and a popular ride, but you don't get the feeling of isolation that I enjoy on a lot of my favorite Coe rides.

Or we could start at the same place, same first climb up Anza and Jackson, then cross canyon and wherever we feel like to go a bit further into the depths of Coe.

If it's a hot day I'd have to curtail things. I'm not the best at handling heat. I like the Coe climbs best at about 45 degrees or so. Some ice in the canyons and everything feels just about right. 80 degrees at Coe feels like about 125 or so...
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Plim
    ....We could start up Anza and Jackson from a start at the Coyote Creek entrance (if early enough to grab the few parking spots there), down to China Hole, up towards (but not all the way to) HQ, down Middle Ridge, cheat by taking Creekside back to China Hole (may not be possible, depending on how much water is there), and back via Grapevine, etc. Lots of the best singletrack in the park and a popular ride, but you don't get the feeling of isolation that I enjoy on a lot of my favorite Coe rides....

Oooooh - that sounds like a good one I'd be up for that.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    Oooooh - that sounds like a good one I'd be up for that.
    Excellent. Bring your singlespeed. Like all of Coe, that route is totally ridable on a singlespeed.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Make it May 7.

There's a big roadbikereview gathering in Santa Cruz.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...823#post610823

We're going to make some FIRE!

fc

Excellent. Bring your singlespeed. Like all of Coe, that route is totally ridable on a singlespeed.
    What!?!?, HUH?!?! Aren't we on the same 24 hour team??? Are ya trying to kill my legs in hope of grabbing the fastest lap and thus winning the autographed pic of Chuck Norris???...you are an evil, evil man Mr. Plim - I'm glad we're on the same team...but it's gonna be a gearie for me at Coe

Sincerely,
    CHUM
    Team "Chuck's Beard"

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Make it May 7.

There's a big roadbikereview gathering in Santa Cruz.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...823#post610823

We're going to make some FIRE!

fc
    Yup, I think I'm jazzed about Coe now. It's been weeks (months?) since I've been down there. Assuming I can make it, I should be there on Saturday morning, bright and early. I can't do it Sunday, though. You'll need to find another guide if you want to go Sunday.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    What!?!?, HUH?!?! Aren't we on the same 24 hour team??? Are ya trying to kill my legs in hope of grabbing the fastest lap and thus winning the autographed pic of Chuck Norris???...you are an evil, evil man Mr. Plim - I'm glad we're on the same team...but it's gonna be a gearie for me at Coe

Sincerely,
    CHUM
    Team "Chuck's Beard"
    Nothing to do with 24HOA. I just want to laugh at you while you suffer. Is that so wrong?

...I just want to laugh at you while you suffer. Is that so wrong?
    no....I laugh at myself all the time when I suffer...I guess I'm funny that way...I'll consider bringing the SS (damnit I'm dumb)

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    no....I laugh at myself all the time when I suffer...I guess I'm funny that way...I'll consider bringing the SS (damnit I'm dumb)
    Nooo! Don't!

Aarrrg! My evilness is threatening to come back to bite me!

Don't do it! Please.

Slowest Rider

Southern Route?

We could start up Anza and Jackson from a start at the Coyote Creek entrance (if early enough to grab the few parking spots there), down to China Hole, up towards (but not all the way to) HQ, down Middle Ridge, cheat by taking Creekside back to China Hole (may not be possible, depending on how much water is there), and back via Grapevine, etc. Lots of the best singletrack in the park and a popular ride, but you don't get the feeling of isolation that I enjoy on a lot of my favorite Coe rides.
    For Henry Coe virgins, that's a good introduction, and a painful deflowering. It's perhaps 38 miles and 7500' climb, isn't it? That Fast Eddy Favorite was attempted on our ill fated ride a couple months ago.

Charlie (Skyline35) and I have been thinking (for a while) of a southern route, dipping in the Hunting Hollow streams to cool off, going up Phegely and or Wagon to Long Dam, Vasques, Serpentine, Tule, and all that lovely singletrack and coming back via Tim Jones and Steer and some of the other less traveled but super singletrack. Total distance climb will be a lot less, depending on how many times we want to climb that hill out of Hunting Hollow. I was also thinking of donig this ride at Henry Coe this weekend.

But Grapevine, Jackson, and Middle Ridge are better first-timer singletracks to take. I can instead take this weekend to train some more and push this southern route to the weekend after this, May 12 (since May 13 is Mother's day). The weekend after that is MBTB!
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    For Henry Coe virgins, that's a good introduction, and a painful deflowering. It's perhaps 38 miles and 7500' climb, isn't it? That Fast Eddy Favorite was attempted on our ill fated ride a couple months ago.

Charlie (Skyline35) and I have been thinking (for a while) of a southern route, dipping in the Hunting Hollow streams to cool off, going up Phegely and or Wagon to Long Dam, Vasques, Serpentine, Tule, and all that lovely singletrack and coming back via Tim Jones and Steer and some of the other less traveled but super singletrack. Total distance climb will be a lot less, depending on how many times we want to climb that hill out of Hunting Hollow. I was also thinking of donig this ride at Henry Coe this weekend.

But Grapevine, Jackson, and Middle Ridge are better first-timer singletracks to take. I can instead take this weekend to train some more and push this southern route to the weekend after this, May 12 (since May 13 is Mother's day). The weekend after that is MBTB!
    Are you leading a slower group at MBTB this year?

Let's ride
    I realized after the posting that I'm inadvertently competing with 2 other mtb rides, and don't mean to. Hmmm, now a problem. If not this weekend, then not next(24HOA), then 5/20( MBTB)
    Additionally, a road ride gathering only happens on RBR every 6 years, so i wouldn't want to hamper that.

What do other peeps think? Keep the date? Deflower to happen at MBTB? Drink the 1.5L of wine by myself on 5/7 anyway?

Coe on a SS, yeah CHUM. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and what are the odds of that killing you? Less than 40% I'd assume.

Spin-stabilized
    I'm coming if someone shows me where pacheco falls is. I'm not in Coe shape but y'all can drop me if I'm too slow. I haven't been there in about 3 years and I've only done the weenie HQ to middle ridge to C Hole to HQ ride and it almost killed me (bonked).

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by bailout
    I'm coming if someone shows me where pacheco falls is. I'm not in Coe shape but y'all can drop me if I'm too slow. I haven't been there in about 3 years and I've only done the weenie HQ to middle ridge to C Hole to HQ ride and it almost killed me (bonked).
    There's a decent chance I'm going to Coe Saturday regardless, but I probably won't go by the falls. If you're interested in seeing them, get yourself a Coe map. http://www.coepark.org/map-intro.html It's the best tool for Coe exploration that exists. The map is quite accurate, and Coe has good signposts. If you go alone, it's probably a good idea to leave your route with someone who will alert the rangers if you don't come back.

There are lots of ways to get to Pacheco Falls. Coit Road will get you almost all the way there with the gentlest climbs, but it has no singletrack at all.

Also be aware that there are a lot of trees down on the the trail to the falls - see this thread for a pic: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=187087

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    I realized after the posting that I'm inadvertently competing with 2 other mtb rides, and don't mean to. Hmmm, now a problem. If not this weekend, then not next(24HOA), then 5/20( MBTB)
    Additionally, a road ride gathering only happens on RBR every 6 years, so i wouldn't want to hamper that.

What do other peeps think? Keep the date? Deflower to happen at MBTB? Drink the 1.5L of wine by myself on 5/7 anyway?
    If I can ride Saturday I'm riding Coe, but right now I don't know if I can ride Saturday so don't let me stop you from riding elsewhere. There's a good chance that the MBTB ride would retrace a lot of the same trails as the first route I outlined in my post above, so you wouldn't miss much if you join another ride (assuming I follow that route).

Coe on a SS, yeah CHUM. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and what are the odds of that killing you? Less than 40% I'd assume.
    Coe on a SS would increase both CHUM's and my chances of dying. He'd die if he tried to pedal up the hills. I'd die because I'd ditch him instead of waiting and a mountain lion, bold enough to pick off a lone rider, would feast on my intestines.

Medium?
    I'll consider bringing the SS (damnit I'm dumb)
    If you're starting with a climb up Jackson, I wouldn't even consider it.

I do an SS loop down Middle Ridge and up China Hole Tr, and even add the east side of CHT. I also SS up Coit Rd, then down Domino Pond, Grapevine and Anza, but Jackson is granny-gear steep the whole way. It climbs as much as Kennedy in 1.5 miles all on singletrack.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    Are you leading a slower group at MBTB this year?
    I was going to do Henry Coe on MBTB, and would certainly lead at C ride. But my super-geek club called a special party in Pescadero that afternoon/evening (official start = 3PM), and I'm trying to figure out if I can do both, but reality is sinking in that a ride ending before 2PM is improbable. So how late can I be, and can I somehow bail early, is the next question I need to figure out. In all, my likelihood to help at Henry Coe on MBTB is diminishing.

I'll be doing several other days on MBTB however. All my rides are sure to be C rides right now (but moving up to a slow B.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    If you're starting with a climb up Jackson, I wouldn't even consider it.

I do an SS loop down Middle Ridge and up China Hole Tr, and even add the east side of CHT. I also SS up Coit Rd, then down Domino Pond, Grapevine and Anza, but Jackson is granny-gear steep the whole way. It climbs as much as Kennedy in 1.5 miles all on singletrack.
    OK..OK, I get it. I know better anyway

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    I was going to do Henry Coe on MBTB, and would certainly lead at C ride. But my super-geek club called a special party in Pescadero that afternoon/evening (official start = 3PM), and I'm trying to figure out if I can do both, but reality is sinking in that a ride ending before 2PM is improbable. So how late can I be, and can I somehow bail early, is the next question I need to figure out. In all, my likelihood to help at Henry Coe on MBTB is diminishing.

I'll be doing several other days on MBTB however. All my rides are sure to be C rides right now (but moving up to a slow B.)
    Darn. My MBTB prospects are diminishing quickly too. Friday 26th, we're flying out for a quick family getaway, so I don't see getting any more time off that week. At least, I'm planning on hitting ST Friday 19th.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Ok, so it looks like some of us will be riding Coe Saturday morning. Be at the Coyote Creek entrance ready to ride by 8:15am. There isn't much parking at that entrance, so you may need to park at Hunting Hollow and ride up the road (2 mi.) to Coyote Creek, so plan accordingly.

If you haven't ridden Coe before and/or are uncertain about your fitness, you should feel free to come along. However, you must be ready to get yourself back to the cars alone. Bring a map. If you don't have the excellent map that is sold (here: https://www.coepark.org/map-intro.html, or at HQ or HH when staffed), go to https://www.wlevey.com/coepark/ and print out maps. This: https://www.wlevey.com/coepark/maps/...HlwPchoCmp.gif would be a good one to bring. The trails are well marked, so we can point a relatively easy route back for you on the map and you shouldn't have any problem following it.

The ride will start with a mini-loop (~500' of climbing) up Spike Jones and down Timm. The end of this is back at Coyote Creek entrance - bailout option #1.

Then we've got our first main climb, up to the intersection of Cross-Canyon and Coit Road. There is fun singletrack downhill to the cars from here - bailout point #2.

We go down Cross-Canyon and up the other side to Willow Ridge Road. This is the last bailout chance, and will involve some climbing to get back (the first two bailouts are super easy - no climbing necessary to get back to the cars).

Total ride will be about 27 miles and 5000' of climbing, but this is a VERY rough guess and I could be off by as much as 10 miles and 2500'. Note that the steepness of the climbs at Coe means that I find myself more tired after 1000' of climbing there than 1000' feet of climbing at most other places.

Again, anyone is welcome, but be prepared to take care of yourself. Riders have gotten lost at mtbr Coe rides in the past (do a search of this forum and you'll find at least one such incident this year). I am not going to babysit you. I'd rather be a jerk and have only people who are prepared show up than be nice and have people wandering around lost and bonked without maps.

Coe is steep and tough, but with proper preparation and the good sense to turn back when appropriate (instead of trying to be macho and doing the entire ride) it's a lot of fun for just about any skill and fitness level. Plus, experiencing those killer climbs will motivate you to get in shape!

Let me know if you're coming, and identifying traits so I can recognize you day of. I'll have my usual bright orange jersey on and ride a Turner Flux.

I'm in....I'll just tie a rope to your seatpost on the uphills to take full advantage of your "slow-mentum"

see ya at 7:30 at my house

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Plim] I am not going to babysit you. I'd rather be a jerk and have only people who are prepared show up than be nice and have people wandering around lost and bonked without maps.

QUOTE]

You do know how to sweet talk a girl, dontcha??

I'll see what my fellas say. Sounds like a great ride!

How long do you expect it to take?
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by rideslikeagirl
    You do know how to sweet talk a girl, dontcha??

I'll see what my fellas say. Sounds like a great ride!

How long do you expect it to take?
    Yup, I'm a honey-tongued devil whose dance card is always full. ;-)

The whole ride will take 5 hours at the very least. Probably longer. It'll really depend on the speed of the group, which is an unknown until we're actually riding. The bailout points allow for significantly shorter rides, so you can pretty much decide how long you want to be on the trail. Each bailout allows for a fun ride with really nice singletrack, so you'll hit good trails no matter what.

We'll regroup and talk at each bailout point so I can tell you what's involved in the next chunk of trail and give you directions back if needed.

mtbr member
    Thanks Plim - sounds perfect.

Early...but perfect.
    I knew I did not want to end up in a dark wooden box in the cold ground. If nothing else, at least I wanted to be buzzard shat on a rock in the sun.
    - slocaus

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yet another Saturday Coe ride...

PLIM?
    Dan51 and the Law?
    Just so this thread offers yet another option and possibly more confusion…I am going to start at the HQ around 7:15…and I am aiming for the full excursion. Middle, Willow, Roller, Pacheco Ridge(or creek), Coit Lake, Domino/CD or Cross Canyon and then back through China Hole. 40+ miles, finish by 3 or so.

Same warning as earlier, this isn't for beginners.
    Romani ite domum

More pie please

Timm Trail

I "discovered" Timm Trail yesterday. Fun single track with about 20 of these:

I'm going Saturday but I may bail after the first mini-loop...just to go back and repeat it!

///Charlie
    Long live long rides

Slowest Rider

Understatement

Quote Originally Posted by fourarm
    Just so this thread offers yet another option and possibly more confusion…I am going to start at the HQ around 7:15…and I am aiming for the full excursion. Middle, Willow, Roller, Pacheco Ridge(or creek), Coit Lake, Domino/CD or Cross Canyon and then back through China Hole. 40+ miles, finish by 3 or so.

What an understatement! That loop is not for beginners. It's also not for intermediate riders either. Actually, I'm not sure many beside fourarm can do this ride. I suspect this ride has 8000' of climb in all the hills. (That's about 1000' of climb for each word in his description.) And he's finishing the epic ride by early afternoon so he can do something else with the rest of his day. :eek6:

I've heard amazing stories about fourarm's capability. So I finally get to see what he actually rides in print. Since he's unlikely to find anyone else who can keep up, I think he's just bragging. :wink5: But that's OK. I'm impressed.

Slowest Rider

Good Advice

...If you haven't ridden Coe before and/or are uncertain about your fitness, you should feel free to come along. However, you must be ready to get yourself back to the cars alone. Bring a map.

Again, anyone is welcome, but be prepared to take care of yourself. Riders have gotten lost at mtbr Coe rides in the past (do a search of this forum and you'll find at least one such incident this year).

Coe is steep and tough, but with proper preparation and the good sense to turn back when appropriate (instead of trying to be macho and doing the entire ride) it's a lot of fun for just about any skill and fitness level. Plus, experiencing those killer climbs will motivate you to get in shape!
    Mike's remarks sounds brutal, but Henry Coe is more brutal, so they're fair warning. I'll be along to help watch over people, but you must be prepared for self-sufficiency.

I emphasis Mike's remark that a good map is absolutely essential. And the official Henry Coe maps is fabulous - on large double side with contour marks and well labeled fine detail with great color printing . I have some extra maps I'll bring along to sell/loan to those who don't have one.

And yes, there's some good bail points for the route Mike proposes.

Bring $4 for parking. My understanding is that you need to pay at the Hunting Hollow parking lot, even if you park at Coyote Creek. But then the legality of parking at Coyote Creek is always in question. Latest word is that it's legal as long as you park at one of the ~4 spots at the gate, and don't park on the road.

mtbr member
    Our little fearless four have decided to get some beauty sleep and do a matinee at Coe. Leaving Soquel at 9:30 and do a sensible ride just to get our feet wet.

Ya'll have fun and I expect a report from the Virgin!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...
    - slocaus

aka dan51
    Ok, so it looks like some of us will be riding Coe Saturday morning. Be at the Coyote Creek entrance ready to ride by 8:15am. There isn't much parking at that entrance, so you may need to park at Hunting Hollow and ride up the road (2 mi.) to Coyote Creek, so plan accordingly.

If you haven't ridden Coe before and/or are uncertain about your fitness, you should feel free to come along. However, you must be ready to get yourself back to the cars alone. Bring a map. If you don't have the excellent map that is sold (here: https://www.coepark.org/map-intro.html, or at HQ or HH when staffed), go to https://www.wlevey.com/coepark/ and print out maps. This: https://www.wlevey.com/coepark/maps/...HlwPchoCmp.gif would be a good one to bring. The trails are well marked, so we can point a relatively easy route back for you on the map and you shouldn't have any problem following it.

The ride will start with a mini-loop (~500' of climbing) up Spike Jones and down Timm. The end of this is back at Coyote Creek entrance - bailout option #1.

Then we've got our first main climb, up to the intersection of Cross-Canyon and Coit Road. There is fun singletrack downhill to the cars from here - bailout point #2.

We go down Cross-Canyon and up the other side to Willow Ridge Road. This is the last bailout chance, and will involve some climbing to get back (the first two bailouts are super easy - no climbing necessary to get back to the cars).

Total ride will be about 27 miles and 5000' of climbing, but this is a VERY rough guess and I could be off by as much as 10 miles and 2500'. Note that the steepness of the climbs at Coe means that I find myself more tired after 1000' of climbing there than 1000' feet of climbing at most other places.

Again, anyone is welcome, but be prepared to take care of yourself. Riders have gotten lost at mtbr Coe rides in the past (do a search of this forum and you'll find at least one such incident this year). I am not going to babysit you. I'd rather be a jerk and have only people who are prepared show up than be nice and have people wandering around lost and bonked without maps.

Let me know if you're coming, and identifying traits so I can recognize you day of. I'll have my usual bright orange jersey on and ride a Turner Flux.
    Won't Cross Canyon be flowing like a river?
    The Law has to work, but I may be up for this.

-Dan

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51

-Dan
    Yes. Last year this time, I was going a mile in and out of the Cross Canyon river with it up to my knees at parts. Plan on having wet shoes. I'm bringing wool socks that do well in water.

Spin-stabilized
    Has anyone ridden from HQ to Pacheco falls? How long does it take? Any recommended routes? I'm showing a Coe newbie around the HQ (Middle ridge, China Hole, Manzanita) area trails tomorrow and we might do an extended trip to seek out the falls. Needless to say, I'm no longer coming with you guys. The 5000+ feet of climbing described earlier scared me.

Slowest Rider
    Has anyone ridden from HQ to Pacheco falls? How long does it take? Any recommended routes? I'm showing a Coe newbie around the HQ (Middle ridge, China Hole, Manzanita) area trails tomorrow and we might do an extended trip to seek out the falls. Needless to say, I'm no longer coming with you guys. The 5000+ feet of climbing described earlier scared me.
    The route we're taking out tomorrow from Hunting Hollow (not HQ) on Coit Rd. to Pacheco Camp via Willow Ridge and White Tank Springs is about the easiest. Warning White Tank is a zero track trail through thick bushwhacking. You'll go for a mile not knowing where you are, then another couple miles finding your way back again. We usually climb up Live Oak, down to see the falls, and then and back Wagon and down Lyman Wilson (or Grizzly Gulch if you have any energy left).

You'll likely be climbing well over 5000' (more like 6000') any way you go to get out there. It's not easy. Until you get in shape for Pacheco Falls, you may want to just do a loop to Kelly Lake or Coit Lake and come back via Domino Pond and Grapevine - super singletrack descents.

Pacheco Falls is a great fire road loop to do in the rain, when the water is running nicely - as in next winter when all other trails are closed in the rain.

Your route from HQ to Middle Ridge, China Hole, Manzanita, and back will be a nice tough introduction. You don't want to go to Pacheco Falls from HQ (unless your login name is fourarm).

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    A route from HQ to the falls would be very tough. Much tougher than going from Hunting Hollow. If you wanted add the falls to your route, the easiest way is to go up the East side of China Hole trail from China Hole to Mahoney Meadows. Mahoney Meadows to Coit Road. Coit Road to Wagon, Wagon to Live Oak Spring. Down the spur trail to the falls. Would add over 20 miles and a chunk of climbing to your route. Like Larry said, Fourarm might enjoy this, but most of the rest of us wouldn't.

You can see the falls' location on upper right corner of this map: https://www.wlevey.com/coepark/maps/...HlwPchoCmp.gif

Easiest ways to get there are from HH. Either Lyman-Willson to Wagon to Live Oak Spring (steeper 'n' shorter) or Coit Road to Wagon to Live Oak Spring (longer, more climbing, but gentler).

We will actually be going close to the falls after all on Saturday, going through Pacheco Camp and passing both ends of Live Oak Spring. The trees down on Live Oak mean we'll bypass it tomorrow, though.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer

-Dan
    Is this your polite way of calling me a dumbass? You don't need to be polite, you know. You can come right out and say it. Won't be the first time. ;-)

Yeah, Cross Canyon should be, um, interesting. If people don't like the idea, I'm sure we'll hear it tomorrow and adjust the route accordingly.

Hope to see you there.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm

I'm with Larry. I might, MIGHT, survive this ride if I were having a good day. But no way would I be done by 3pm. I'd stagger back to HQ as the sun went down. A crack team of paramedics would be needed to get me in shape to drive home.

I'd like to ride with you someday, but I bet it'd just be the start of the ride. You'd be out of sight within two minutes.

aka dan51
    Is this your polite way of calling me a dumbass? You don't need to be polite, you know. You can come right out and say it. Won't be the first time. ;-)

Yeah, Cross Canyon should be, um, interesting. If people don't like the idea, I'm sure we'll hear it tomorrow and adjust the route accordingly.

Hope to see you there.
    I won't call you a dumbass (yet), but I will call you "dude in orange shirt".

I was just wondering what the conditions of the trail would be. It's one of my favorites out there, but I've only ridden it late in the year after it has dried up.

On another note.
    There will be ticks, lots of them. So be prepared.
    I find that regular white socks give ticks a lot to hold onto as you pass by them. Short biking socks are better. Also, make sure your socks fit snuggly. You wouldn't want one of those buggers to fall in between you leg and sock.

-Dan

..There will be ticks, lots of them. So be prepared...
    great...freakin' wonderful :frown2: I am a super tick magnet..blech! Y'all will be safe if I'm around

Slowest Rider

Good

great...freakin' wonderful :frown2: I am a super tick magnet..blech! Y'all will be safe if I'm around
    For once I'm glad I'm slower than you. At the end of the line I don't get too many as they jump for the first sign of food.

Drown them in the Cross Canyon creek, I say.

aka dan51
    You should probably take up road biking this time of year
    We rode Wilder last Sunday and saw ticks just hanging on long grass blades waiting for a feast. In the span of about 15 feet, there were easily 50+. They seem to know the trail is a good place to wait. I'm bringing the camera this weekend so I can take some pictures of them. I was amazed at how many there were. This encounter was on Zane Grey. We really didn't see them anywhere else out there.

Then I had two encounters with them last night at Santa Teresa, which turned out to be a terrible ride anyway. Pinched flat, hole in spare, ticks, riding SS for the second time, walking a mile back to the car (some through that smelly ST mud) in biking shoes.....

At least I wasn't watching TV.

-Dan

Slowest Rider

Great Day with a group of 5

We knew we'd have Charlie (Skyine35), Mike (Plim), Nick (Chum) and me. But we got a bonus rider to show up - Joe (Whugmit?) Joe said didn't think he'd come. But, for odd reasons, he woke up in the morning at 6AM with a bike and gear in the car ready to go, and thought - Why Not?

Mike, Charlie, and Joe, had an easy day, and a rest day is what at least Mike wanted. Charlie went back out and did some more rides after we were done.

We indeed took the Cross Canyon, but not Pacheco Falls, and White Tank to Rose Dam to Pacheco Camp. Then back Wagon, Wasno, Tule, Grizzly Gulch. Also, as a desert before dinner, before taking off on the big loop we did a little loop (3 miles 800' climb) up Spike Jones and Timm trail. These are superb little singletrack trails close to the Coyote Creek entrance. But the climb is a killer that had me walking a lot of it. I almost turned back to save others on time but glad I didn't. I was able to do some great descents and have a crash as I went rolling down the steep hill after unsuccessfully trying to find a way to put a foot down at a stop at a tricky section. Of course I had to repeat that section. At first I got freaked out when I saw four cameras pointed at me. I think they were hoping for a repeat crash of similar spectacle. But after dabbing the tight switchback, I made the whole rest of the super-steep very-narrow twisty slippery descent, disappointing everyone hoping for a better crash picture.

There was an equestrian marathon going on today, with 50 equestrians doing a lot of the same trails (Grizzly Gulch, Cross Canyon) so it also added to delays on the ride as we constantly stopped to let them by. The riders were remarking they were amazed we were climbing Cross Canyon (the hard way - west to east). I was hiking up a lot of it, and said to the equestrians that "I think I needed more horsepower". They thought it was funny and were repeating it later among themselves.

We were slow because I ascend slower than others, even at my higher speed, and the rocks, streams, poison oak, and downed trees, especially on Cross Canyon slowed us down. Cross canyon was generally under 1 foot of water - not too bad. We had to clean up poison oak in the streams a couple times, and then all the horse stops. So Joe, who had to get to a gig early tonight, departed at the top of Cross Canyon, going out via Crest, Tule, Grizzly Gulch.

The rest of us got in just after 4PM, with a start from Coyote Creek at 8:40 ( I checked the GPS log). Most of who started from Hunting Hollow and did 29.7 miles, 5930' climb. Charlie did more in his bonus extra climb. 5.5 hours of moving time for me. (Probably closer to 5.0 hours for others.)

I had a great day and became disappointed that it was coming to a close as we went down the last fun bit of Grizzly Gulch.

Dan51 was right about the abundance of ticks. Last tally was:
    Larry 1 Tick (at least one big advantage of being last and thick layers of sunscreen)
    Charlie: 7 Ticks?
    Joe: 7 Ticks
    Mike: 9 Ticks [Edit: I stand corrected]
    Nick: 13 Ticks!!!! Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding. He promised he'd be the big winner. Even though he wasn't the lead very often.

Ticks and Poison Oak were natural hazards. But we overcame all and had a great time.

Pictures will Come - but I didn't take too many.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 05-07-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Let's ride
    Sounds like another cool ride at Coe. I'm hoping to go this Sunday. Thanks for the warning about the ticks and socks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How well-defined is the Timm Trail? I remember a couple of years ago trying to take this trail (in the uphill direction, starting from the pretty shaded water trough area of Spike Jones). However, at that time the trail seemed to fizzle out, and I was never able to find the uppermost intersection with Spike Jones. Is that intersection well-defined now? Perhaps I just keep missing it because I'm having so much fun crusing down Spike Jones?

Ross.

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    It's easy to miss the entrance(s) from Spike Jones. Once on Timm, the trail is very easy to follow. When I rode it late last year it looked like trail work had recently been done on it, and on Saturday it was still in good shape.

There is one entrance that is right near a biggish water container for horses. Another one, a little bit further uphill along Spike Jones, is really hard to see. We were standing right next to it, knew it was there, and it was still hard to spot.

More pie please
    Yeah, Saturday was fun guys! I know that I promised a lot in describing Timm Trail but I
    think everyone felt it lived up to it's billing as "The most fun you'll have all day!". It's hard
    to find at both ends but once you're on it, it's well defined. There are "alternate" trails at
    either end but we're not allowed to speak of these on a public forum. Join us sometime,
    Ross, and I'll show you.

Dan, Cross Canyon was okay. The water averaged ~6 inches deep - this is important as
    the trail crosses the stream often and there is section where the trail is in the stream bed.
    There is a length of trail which overgrown and mixed in the shrubbery is poison oak; I think
    I squeezed through with out touching any. Hope so! I had my doubts about taking this one
    west to east but once you're off the bottom of the canyon, the trail is a moderate climb (by
    Coe standards). Not bad.

White Tank is really overgrown, we took a couple wrong turns, and ended with Mike
    crashing on the final descent off of Rose Dam. White Tank/Rose Dam is always an
    adventure! There were a surprising number of bike tracks on the trail so these trails are
    getting use.

Larry - who's climbing noticeably faster these days - has done a great job of describing
    the day and mentions the disappointment that it had to end. I rode a little more after the
    others left. I went up Spike Jones to the intersection with Steer Ridge Road where I sat,
    enjoyed the view, the fresh, cool air, and ate a carrot cake Cliff Bar that tasted way better
    than it had any right to taste. Finally I got back on the bike and on down Spike Jones &
    Timm...and back to the car.

///Charlie

I only took out my camera once. I set up at one of the many water crossings on Cross
    Canyon Trail and took a picture of each:

Nick (CHUM):

Joe (Whugmit):

Larry (BigLarry):

Mike (Plim):

Long live long rides

mtbr member
    Poverty Flat has a couple of extremely steep and long downhills coming out of the HQ. Be very careful, you have to accelerate to do them safely, since they are long you keep on accelerating. You might want to bring a spare set of shorts.

aka dan51
    Thanks for the update Charlie. Nice pics too.

We're planning on riding there on Friday. Just a short loop, but it's got some of the best single track, and best scenery. Up Anza Jackson>Elderberry>Wasno>Domino Pond>Grapevine>Anza.
    Loop is about 15 miles from HH parking lot.

-Dan

Slowest Rider

Timm Trail

Yes, it's a bit old, but I finally had time and felt like pulling some old pictures off my camera.

1. Example of the logs on Timm Trail. Some had over a 2' drop, but all were ridable without a need for hucking skills.

2. Everyone at the top of Timm in delight over the fine singletrack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Slowest Rider

Slime, then Climb on Cross Canyon

We did Cross Canyon the wrong way, which meant for some nasty hike-a-bike on the climb out.

The Cross Canyon was under 1 ft deep, but managed to slime all my disks.

1. Front wheel Slime
    2. Back wheel Slime
    3. Everyone Climbing
    4. Charlie showing determination in Climb

Slowest Rider

White Tank Flower Fields

We rode around a bit in the yellow and purple flowers at White Tank Springs trail.

Here's a couple pics.

Members who have read this thread: 0