mtbr member
    Sep 2015

anyone surf-fishing NorCAL?

i'm trying something new this winter. surf fishing!!

bought an unhealthy amount of new fishing gear and i am going after the Surf PERCH. my first day out, knowing jacksquat, i caught several. every day since then, i have been going to "skunk-city". i HAVE been visiting Wrights beach more during low tide, and not high tide. (call it bad intel).

anyone with some solid tips? anyone want a buddy to hang along? i can pack beer and lunch . i can head south if needed. i need some solid boots on the ground tutorials.

i bought a last minute 2018 fishing license just a week ago and i am trying to make that $50 purchase worth it.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    i will drive my Toyota Tacoma on the beach down near Pismo one day for fishing..it would be awesome to be right there next to my truck. picnic and stuff with the wife..and dog.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Perch is fun. They have this tendency to get in REALLY close so you might be casting passed them. I mean, like right up in the littlest ankle slapper waves they will be there.

Then there is the question as to what you are throwing at them, and with what? What bait, which rod and reel?

Because if you are going to Wrights, you are really close to Russian Rivermouth. And let me tell you, you don't want to be fishing for perch at any rivermouth, you want to be casting for striped bass. Cast into the surf, the river, rip currents using a 8" Rapala Slash Bait (hard bait) on like 18-20lb test, I use Mono.. Honestly, any pattern., silver, blue, grey blue or that variation will produce fish. This method can be used even on the sandy beach, just cast into the rip current or passed the waves. I prefer mid-sinking and add my own lead stickers as a need.

My primary rig is a 10' 6" medium heavy kokanee rod with a 50.:1/2.0:1 Shimano bait caster for that. Light weight, easy to cast all day.

And to make sure this thread stays MTB friendly, Fat Bikes are great beach fishing rigs.

And if you get REALLY bored, just go get a 14-16' heavy rod and a sand spike and fish mackerel on a sabiki rig. Ew. Mackrel.

This was Moss Landing a while back. Little guy.. Some guys catch 40lb big brothers.. You can too!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anyone surf-fishing NorCAL?-striper.jpg  

anyone surf-fishing NorCAL?-slash.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the info I live above Manresa and get skunked all the time. My neighbor says don't eat the big strippers, they are full of toxins from Pajaro/Salinas Rivers. Sand perch is supposedly tasty and doesn't bio magnify the bad stuff like the bass. I am going to buy a fishing license in 2019 and fish more my ny resolution.

Ariolimax columbianus

anyone surf-fishing NorCAL?

small size 2 hook, carolina rig, sliding sinker, use a bead and barrel swivel. your leader length will depend on conditions. berkeley sandworms are like perch crack but 1.5" kalin motor oil grubs are pretty standard too unless you're using live sand crabs. i like an ultralight setup, maybe similar to twowheelmotion, but basically a 9' steelhead rod. a buddy told me he got a striper down near the pajaro river on saturday.

work the beach, fish on incoming or outgoing tides, fish da riptides. you can ride a fatbike from santa cruz to moss landing when the tide is right. fatbikes are good for that too. guess i'd rather be ridin than fishin at the moment. checkout da sand crab classic if you wanna possibly meet some folks. tight lines!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Iím using the Berkeley sand worms on Nativesonís exact setup. A lightweight salmon rod.

Just inboxed my chest waders today! I got soaked this weekend.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    anyone surf-fishing NorCAL?-9f72f5fb-402d-4aa6-b516-26cc881aa3b2.jpgBuying a fat tire bike is a great idea!!
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Hella Olde
    Good intel: you can ride a fatbike from santa cruz to moss landing when the tide is right.

I always wondered about that. I've ridden a regular MTB for a couple of miles on the hard-packed sand from Moss Landing to Watsonvillish

Ariolimax columbianus
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Good intel: you can ride a fatbike from santa cruz to moss landing when the tide is right.

I always wondered about that. I've ridden a regular MTB for a couple of miles on the hard-packed sand from Moss Landing to Watsonvillish
    full moon negative tide...beers n brehs...pretty sick.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    full moon negative tide...beers n brehs...pretty sick.
    Off the Sicktor scale! All you need is a bioluminescent bloom and you'd be set

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    Off the Sicktor scale! All you need is a bioluminescent bloom and you'd be set
    and some shrooms...who is leading this ?
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

mtbr member
    Boom- That's the setup right there

mtbr member
    Snowjnky in da house