Anyone Riding Tamarancho Tomorrow PM??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Anyone Riding Tamarancho Tomorrow PM??

my wife, older daughter and son are out of town and younger daughter is with friends this weekend so i have time to do some exploring (i live in the east bay). i was thinking of going up to tamarancho in the afternoon. i've ridden china camp a ton and heard even better things of boy scout camp. is anyone going up there saturday afternoon--i got dropped by my normal riding buddy.

i'm basically a decent rider, not that fast...

also thinking of annadel, that may be too far for saturday.

It's about showing up.

It's easy to hook up in Fairfax.

If you park at The Java Hut you will see all sorts of riders staging for their rides. I know it may be a bit daunting but you could sorta hang out there and look for riders similar to you. The local and regular boys are pretty easy to spot but they can just hammer on their home turf and you might not want to join that group, though they are a generous bunch.
    If you don't see anyone you want to hook up with you could just flow upstream and start riding. There are so many riders there that you can't get lost or if you were to fall or something and needed help you wouldn't be isolated. You might make some new friends.

Please remember that you need a pass to ride ther and Day passes are availible at Sunshine Bikes across the street from Java Hut for $5. It would be nice to take care of that as the money goes to supporting the trails. Half season passes are on sale now for only $25; good cause and all that.
    Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the suggestion about hooking up. should i ride clockwise or counter??

i was planning on buying a pass online, wouldn't ride there without it. i pretty much get passes for the park districts where i ride (ebrpd, headlands, etc) since that money (at least some of it) goes towards the trails...

Coors, the american beer.
    i never had a pass for tamarancho ... id just say i was with the guy behind me anytime anyone asked.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

ballbuster

Dude, don't be a cheapskate!

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    i never had a pass for tamarancho ... id just say i was with the guy behind me anytime anyone asked.
    Buy the pass. It goes to a good cause... Singletrack in Marin. The place was nearly lost a year or two ago because Terri made the BTC do a $20k environmental impact report, and they came close to not raising the dough.

Heck, $5 for a day's worth of fun is the best deal around, even to me... and I'm unemployed.

Coors, the american beer.
    theres plenty of singletrack in marin. It may not be legal but oh well, thats what you get when a bunch of liberals on horses get themselves into city hall and start *****ing about ****, even though their irresponsible trail use causes more erosion than ours ever will.

Im unemployed as well, and if tamarancho closes i still got annadale, angwin, rockville, and if im up for the drive, boggs, sonoma lake, and auburn area.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

WWYD?

well,

Clockwise makes you ride over the "boulder" and counterclockwise makes you drop over the "boulder."

If you don't ride this trail often you will probably dab a few times (who cares?), but I always struggle with climbing the "boulder"

Don't worry you'll have a great time. I would meet you out there but I'm riding in the morning and going to work by 3 in the city

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    Clockwise makes you ride over the "boulder" and counterclockwise makes you drop over the "boulder."

If you don't ride this trail often you will probably dab a few times (who cares?), but I always struggle with climbing the "boulder"

Don't worry you'll have a great time. I would meet you out there but I'm riding in the morning and going to work by 3 in the city
    Dang, can you get up the boulder? I have tried so many frickin times on that, and still no luck.

I find a good workout is one lap each way.

WWYD?

Halfway...

I've seen a guy from Oregon climb that rock, but the farthest I've gone is half a pedal stroke up before putting a foot down.

Erich, you up for a ride in July? I've got a week off first week of July and maybe Pine Mountain or I can meet on the East Bay for a ride in your hood? I also got a trail out west I can tell you about too.

blanchard

ballbuster

I'm a liberal!

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    theres plenty of singletrack in marin. It may not be legal but oh well, thats what you get when a bunch of liberals on horses get themselves into city hall and start *****ing about ****, even though their irresponsible trail use causes more erosion than ours ever will.

Im unemployed as well, and if tamarancho closes i still got annadale, angwin, rockville, and if im up for the drive, boggs, sonoma lake, and auburn area.
    My point was, pay what you owe. If you find you can't part with $5, ride elsewhere. It's private land. The moolah goes to buy materials to keep the trails in open and in good shape building bridges, stunts, buy lunch for trailworking volunteers, etc. Otherwise, the Boy Scouts have no motivation to keep us up there.

I agree with you about the horse riders, they cause way more damage than the bikers do. That's what happens when they are better organized than the bikers. The thing is, they got motivated to do something because enough bikers were riding like jerks, so honestly, I can't blame them. I was there when it happened. BTW, I would have classed them as conservatives. A true liberal would have tried to find a balance between the bikers, hikers and horses.

Hey man, let's go ride that stuff sometime soon.

ballbuster

heh

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb
    I've seen a guy from Oregon climb that rock, but the farthest I've gone is half a pedal stroke up before putting a foot down.

Erich, you up for a ride in July? I've got a week off first week of July and maybe Pine Mountain or I can meet on the East Bay for a ride in your hood? I also got a trail out west I can tell you about too.

blanchard
    I once got up the second rock, and got up the first, but have never been able to set up the second after the first. I can't get enough momentum after the first rock. The one time I got up the second, I basically wheelied up and torqued the rear up. When I did it, I could hardly believe it.

Yeah, alright. I'm up for a ride all the time. I only have construction projects around the house to do these days, apart from my few side clients. Side of what, I dunno. I'm refinishing the walls in my basement room lately. What a drag, I tell you what. 60 years of house settling has made the bottoms of the walls crumple down a tad. The wire mesh behind the plaster has rusted out as well. I gotta rip all that stuff out and rebuild it.

Every Tuesday, Impy puts together a Slacker ride in the afternoon, 'cause she usually has Tues afternoons off. Watch the board, here. I try to get on that whenever possible.

WWYD?

Hey, at least you have a house to work on...

I should have bought in '93, but now I have enough money to buy a house any where but here in the bay area :^(

Slacker ride is on Tuesday? Is that in Marin? I'll keep in touch.

blanchard

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Clockwise on weekends is a good idea

Since most people ride clockwise, if you ride counter-clockwise when it gets busy you will have many more encounters with riders going the other way. So for a first ride at Tamarancho, clockwise is good.

Regarding the "boulder", I have found that the key is to come in as fast as possible. To do that you have to ignore the approaching terrain, as it can be intimidating. You see it but you don't care. Weight yourself way forward to improve steering and almost stand when you get to the boulder. For about 5 seconds you have to maintain an insane intensity like you just saw a mountain lion. The first 5 or 6 rides at Tamarancho I could not do it. Then I decided to do the obstacle repetatively until I got it. The first time I tried that it took me 18 tries to get it. Next ride it took me 12 tries, then 7, then 5, then 2 or 3. Now I can make it 1st try every time.

The last uphill switchback just before completing the clockwise loop is also a very tough spot.

I think you'll love Tamarancho if you like China Camp. By the way, they do check passes almost every weekend.