mtbr member

Anyone like recumbent trikes or know Laid Back Cycles in Fair Oaks?

I'm having a surgery pretty soon that will keep me off conventional bicycles all summer, but around the end of April I'll be back to work. Anyone in this forum have opinions about recumbent trikes? Trikes specifically due to danger of re-injury in a fall, recumbent to keep weight off the upper body.

Fair Oaks has a dealership but I've not stopped in. Partly because their open hours fairly overlap with my work and partly because I'm not eager to pay full retail for something I'm going to use for less than a year. But I assume they are good people?

mtbr member
    I've been looking for a used recumbent and a used paddle board to marry together. I've seen lots of them on ebay.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

Flat Pluto Society
    I borrowed a 2-wheeler (BikeE) a million years ago. It was an FS so I took it to Hogan. Meh. Uphills were murder.

Kind of slow in town, but my favorite part was being able to look around- yer not all hunched over and worried, you can take time to enjoy the sights.

Probably doesn't help you, but maybe CL for a used one?

Oh, and being low to the ground, you def. need a flag on a pole so you can be seen. This is a MUST. Don't ask me how I know.

Flat Pluto Society
    Here's a CL listing. Note the excellent description and the detailed pics. :eyesroll:

https://modesto.craigslist.org/bik/d...809504799.html

Moderator Moderator

jrm
    mtbr member

whats the surgery?

i had shoulder replacement surgery and with serious PT regiment i was able to bike commute after about 4 months. Yeah i had to build up and it hurt but it was completely worth it to gain some "normalcy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    I'm having a surgery pretty soon that will keep me off conventional bicycles all summer, but around the end of April I'll be back to work. Anyone in this forum have opinions about recumbent trikes? Trikes specifically due to danger of re-injury in a fall, recumbent to keep weight off the upper body.

Fair Oaks has a dealership but I've not stopped in. Partly because their open hours fairly overlap with my work and partly because I'm not eager to pay full retail for something I'm going to use for less than a year. But I assume they are good people?
    Yes I own one. Catlike 700 with Sram Red eTap and Schwalble 700 23 and 406 23. Weighs 27 pounds. Built only for baby butt smooth paved trails. I only ride it for 100 mile plus rides and when my best Friend of 44 years wants to ride. He now can only ride trikes. Trike’s like mine are faster than most. I average about 18 mph for hours on flats. The trike is the second most comfortable place I sit. It is quite a nice way to cruise. Big grades are ok cause you can stop or go super slow as you desire. Falling over is not possible but you must use clipless pedals. If Your foot slips off the pedal, your foot hits the ground and almost immediately your leg is bent backward and sucked under the trike. Results in compound breaks, a very serious injury. Also, if you turn the front wheels to fast, a roll will most likely occur. My max speed was 54 mph downhill. A real thrill 4 inches off the ground. Off road Trike’s are readily available. They are slow and heavy, especially with full suspension. And IMHO, Trikes can handle some rough stuff but nothing like a trail bike. I never had any fun on those off road machines. Utah Trikes have the largest selection of all kinds of trikes from a bunch of builders. There are very reputable. Utah also will take any part off a trike you are buying and give you full retail price for the take off so upgrades are less expensive. Trikes are a great alternative to diamond frames for those that need to remove the possible serious injury by falling or have some types of illness/injury. Biggest con is they are more difficult to transport and store when Compared to bikes. All the issues are addressable but usually requires a tad more outlay of cash. They are fun and easily modded. If you obtain one, do your research and you must ride before you buy, no exceptions. Safe Travels.
    Last edited by Pedalon2018; 1 Week Ago at 07:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Septal myectomy. Lots of people have told me they could ride a regular bike soon after but the surgeon was firm about it: take no risks of re-injuring the sternum for 6mo

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    Septal myectomy. Lots of people have told me they could ride a regular bike soon after but the surgeon was firm about it: take no risks of re-injuring the sternum for 6mo
    Dayam. Good luck- let us know how you're doing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Check bentrideronline.com for the biggest recumbent and trike forum. There is a Classifieds section just for trikes.

Trikes have seemed to have solid market/resale value (at least compared to two-wheeled recumbents), and it probably wouldn’t cost you much to buy used and sell later.