Anyone going to Northstar this weekend for EWS?- Mtbr.com
    Hella Olde

Anyone going to Northstar this weekend for EWS?

Racing?
    Spectating?
    Getting as far away as possible?

Driving out to Crystal Peak via Dog Valley for a little digging?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've been considering going. How is the spectating for an event like this?

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by the.vault View Post
    I've been considering going. How is the spectating for an event like this?
    I'm not sure. Seems like you'd want to get to one of the more technical sections. I think some lift use will be available to spectators and their bikes but I really don't know. I'd probably just end up drinking too many beers and getting super dirty and facing a 3 hour drive back down the mountain.

OK - I did a little reading. You need an 18$ lift ticket unless you want to ride up to mid-mountain and you can ride any non-race trail.
    All the info is here:
    https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/...ries-race.aspx

Looks like when the EWS has moved on there will be some new trails to ride:

Stage 1:Sticks & stones > (New) River Styx >Stage 4: (New) Tell No Tails Woods > Manure Pile > Kickback Tech > Kickback Stage 5: Dog Bone Stage 2:Sinuous > Karpiel Stage 6: Boondocks Stage 3: Tahoe Trail > (New) Tahoe Trail Short Cut > Upper Karpiel > Sticks & Stones > Mineshaft > Liiftline

mtbr member
    Iíll be there racing. Wish I could spectate the best riders in the world, but I signed up months ago so I have to race the most clapped out bike park on the west coast.

mtbr member
    At a ton of other races spectators line the tracks and cheer on the racers. But this is California where everyone is too busy to care about anyone but themselves, so I assume spectating will be half-way decent at best. I canít image it will be anywhere near as spectator involved as TDS.
    Anyone going to Northstar this weekend for EWS?-img_2143.jpg
    Anyone going to Northstar this weekend for EWS?-img_2144.jpg

mtbr member
    Yeah I will be there racing. I am hoping they can get the trails patched up today and tomorrow enough where come race day they arenít completely bombed out. Hopefully the limit on practice runs will preserve the trails a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Yeah I will be there racing. I am hoping they can get the trails patched up today and tomorrow enough where come race day they arenít completely bombed out. Hopefully the limit on practice runs will preserve the trails a bit.

How do you patch up silt and rocks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    How do you patch up silt and rocks?
    Thoughts and prayers. Haha

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Going to gawk. Looking forward to it!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I might head up to spectate.

Are backpacks with food/drink allowed up the hill? How about larger cameras like DSLRs?

Figured I'd ask now because I definitely do not want to be leaving any valuables in my car.

mtbr member
    Holy crap it looks completely bombed out up there. The pinkbike ďshakeoutĒ day video is full on brown pow. The stage preview videos are no better. I think everyone is going to have brown teeth this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austink26 View Post
    Holy crap it looks completely bombed out up there. The pinkbike ďshakeoutĒ day video is full on brown pow. The stage preview videos are no better. I think everyone is going to have brown teeth this weekend.

Was thinking same thing..

Also Truckee Rodeo weekend so traffic Sunday....smh

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post
    I'm not sure. Seems like you'd want to get to one of the more technical sections. I think some lift use will be available to spectators and their bikes but I really don't know. I'd probably just end up drinking too many beers and getting super dirty and facing a 3 hour drive back down the mountain.

OK - I did a little reading. You need an 18$ lift ticket unless you want to ride up to mid-mountain and you can ride any non-race trail.
    All the info is here:
    https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/...ries-race.aspx

Looks like when the EWS has moved on there will be some new trails to ride:

Stage 1:Sticks & stones > (New) River Styx >Stage 4: (New) Tell No Tails Woods > Manure Pile > Kickback Tech > Kickback Stage 5: Dog Bone Stage 2:Sinuous > Karpiel Stage 6: Boondocks Stage 3: Tahoe Trail > (New) Tahoe Trail Short Cut > Upper Karpiel > Sticks & Stones > Mineshaft > Liiftline

Just read about the $18 tickets, seems that they are for spectating only Did not get the sense that they will let you take your bike to mid-mountain. Got a question, if you ride your bike up to mid-mountain are you allowed to take the trails back down ?

mtbr member
    I watched the course preview videos on youtube and I can say my entire body is dreading the queen stage. I think we did something similar last year and my hands were cooked.

Hella Olde

From the N* FAQ

Can we ride bikes to spectate?

Yes, but you are only allowed to ride open roads and trails to get to the trail heads. No spectators will be allowed down a race trail with their bike.

What trails are open to the public during the event?

Here is a breakdown by day of the trails open to the general public

Friday, August 23 & Saturday, August 24 - Coaster, Gypsy, Livewire, Booster, Playground, Woods(old Big Trees) to the 503Rd (Coolway is closed), Tryumph, Easy Rider, Knick Knack, Paddywack.

Sunday, August 25 - Coaster, Gypsy, Livewire, Booster, Playground, Woods, Manure Pile, Flameout, Sinuous, Karpiel to Tryumph, Tryumph, Easy Rider, Knick Knack, Paddywack.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Just read about the $18 tickets, seems that they are for spectating only Did not get the sense that they will let you take your bike to mid-mountain. Got a question, if you ride your bike up to mid-mountain are you allowed to take the trails back down ?
    Yes, you can ride - see my FAQ remarks below or see the N* FAQ

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah going up on Sun with a buddy just to spectate. Maybe take a photo with Hill and Rude, haha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    You can walk up to mid mountain fairly quickly and not have to buy a spectator pass to ride the lift. Or pedal up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boylagz View Post
    Yeah going up on Sun with a buddy just to spectate. Maybe take a photo with Hill and Rude, haha.
    I heard those guys are riding downieville next week. Going for weir's record.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ohhh shlt nice, Ill be over there for labor day weekend. Do you what Weir's rec is?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ohhh shlt nice, Ill be over there for labor day weekend. Do you what Weir's rec is?
    it was like 35-36 for the old course, which only had the fire road section of butcher ranch.

Maybe he got on under 40 for the longer version with sunrise. Definitely low 40 for that course.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    it was like 35-36 for the old course, which only had the fire road section of butcher ranch.

Maybe he got on under 40 for the longer version with sunrise. Definitely low 40 for that course.
    DAMN. Thanks, psyched. Hopefully theyll be there.

Short-Change-Hero
    Talking with a teammate on my softball team that rides N* regularly last night about this. She and her fiance were there last weekend riding and talking with shop peeps and lift agents. Apparently N* is expecting upwards of 30k spectators this year. So unless you want to get there STUPID early or want to ride from godknowswhere, I am personally out. Would have loved to see the top pros do this in a bit more strategic method but I will pass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^+1 on the stupid early arrival, LOL. Not gonna ride for sure, but would wanna see an EWS in person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Talking with a teammate on my softball team that rides N* regularly last night about this. She and her fiance were there last weekend riding and talking with shop peeps and lift agents. Apparently N* is expecting upwards of 30k spectators this year. So unless you want to get there STUPID early or want to ride from godknowswhere, I am personally out. Would have loved to see the top pros do this in a bit more strategic method but I will pass.
    Iíll believe it when I see it.

wretch
    Iíll believe it when I see it.
    Yeaaaa....30,000 people. I hope, and wish for that but it kinda makes me lol.

A Martis lap in the morning and then pedal to mid mountain from there sounds pretty dialed to me!

Hella Olde
    Siiiick

Hella Olde
    I bet it's not gonna be nearly that big and you can probably ride all over the hill seeing some amazing pro riding while consuming your own supplies of whatever fuels you. Have fun to all who go - I'm still on the fence.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash View Post
    Yeaaaa....30,000 people. I hope, and wish for that but it kinda makes me lol.

A Martis lap in the morning and then pedal to mid mountain from there sounds pretty dialed to me!
    That's sounds like a good plan

Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    Was thinking same thing..

Also Truckee Rodeo weekend so traffic Sunday....smh

Burning Man starts on Sunday too and the traffic on 80 has already picked up.

Hella Olde
    [QUOTE=jonesjus;14273757]Burning Man starts on Sunday too and the traffic on 80 has already picked up.

Excellent - there will be parking in my neighborhood for a week.

L1MEY
    We're going on Sunday... never been a spectator at a race before so it might be awesome or it might not. Either way we'll have a nice picnic on the mountain.

For anyone else who has an Epic pass for winter, your lift ride up the mountain will be free if you're on foot.
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    I'm watching it on Red Bull TV. That is as close as I'm gonna get.

mtbr member
    30k? Did they mean 3k? I donít even see how 30k could be possible with parking and just general infrastructure.

PokeyOne
    Feb 2009
    When waiting for the park to open in the AM, I always pedal/walk to mid mountain and do warm up laps on Lift Line. I always estimate that trail as being the mini-LiveWire.
    I enjoy the cardio of 4 or 5 laps, and the "junoir send-it" level of trail works for me.
    My level of send-it sensibility has me stuck somewhere in the middle of Lift Line and LiveWire. The super fast big tables on LW are still a bit intimidating on speed and size for me. It might be helpful to watch/record the top riders form and speed on stuff that I want to progress to.
    Ride some lower laps on not totally blown out trails, and hike a bunch on the rest of the mountain, Backpack good food and libation.
    Sounds like a nice day.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah I don't necessarily believe the whole 30k thing, just relaying info.
    Maybe all together with riders, support staff, etc. I could see that POTENTIALLY hitting but definitely not just spectators. I may decide to take a ride up there on Sunday but not 100% on that.

For those saying do a Martis Peak Loop, what are you talking about exactly. I have explored all over tahoe but never really done N* as I hate resorts and am too cheap to pay to play. Have a family cabin right on 267 in Kings Beach so I would preferably love a pedal from there. Not really sure what too look at on Trailforks.

jrm
    mtbr member
    its it on redbulltv? i was thinking ews tv...

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yeah I don't necessarily believe the whole 30k thing, just relaying info.
    Maybe all together with riders, support staff, etc. I could see that POTENTIALLY hitting but definitely not just spectators. I may decide to take a ride up there on Sunday but not 100% on that.

For those saying do a Martis Peak Loop, what are you talking about exactly. I have explored all over tahoe but never really done N* as I hate resorts and am too cheap to pay to play. Have a family cabin right on 267 in Kings Beach so I would preferably love a pedal from there. Not really sure what too look at on Trailforks.
    There's legal stuff from the top of Martis dropping TRT towards KB - all on Trailforks. The other side, different ball game. You can explore, you might find stuff, but you'll get lost.

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DH40 View Post

Excellent - there will be parking in my neighborhood for a week.
    Playa Rapture is the best.

Hella Olde
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to fgiraffe again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    its it on redbulltv? i was thinking ews tv...
    You are right. It is the Enduro World Series recaps. I was thinking of the "On Track" EWS Series put on by Red Bull. Red Bull should have a live broadcast though. What is wrong with them? Lol.

mtbr member
    It was beyond blown out there today. Super fun race and the stages were very physical. It is a burly day when boondocks is the easiest run. Definitely wasnít 30k in attendance. It actually seemed pretty dead. Maybe they will come out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Leaving tomorrow morning to catch Stages 3-6. Most PROs will start around 11am (Women) and 12pm (Men).
    Then staying two nights to ride new trails (I was told they open Monday).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noblige View Post
    Leaving tomorrow morning to catch Stages 3-6. Most PROs will start around 11am (Women) and 12pm (Men).
    Then staying two nights to ride new trails (I was told they open Monday).
    Have fun with that. They are the most blown out trails in Northstar considering they were built in the middle of the summer and just had 300 people race down them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Have fun with that. They are the most blown out trails in Northstar considering they were built in the middle of the summer and just had 300 people race down them.
    Isn't that like any one other trail at Northstar?

mtbr member
    Isn't that like any one other trail at Northstar?
    That is why I am not a big fan of Northstar. Blown out trails with 6 inches of powdered dust. The trails around Tahoe are great and would much rather ride them. You just have to work for your downhills at altitude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't think more than thousand people showed up. Was kind of awkward to get from stage to stage. Ended up watching elite men on Sticks & Stones and Boondocks.
    Wouldn't drive up next time, but watching best riders in the world - definitely worth doing at least once.
    And apparently new trails aren't opening tomorrow :|

L1MEY
    It was fun watching the pros zoom past. I think that Northstar should have done a better job communicating to the spectators where the best places to watch were. We pretty much wandered aimlessly, guessing at where to go, until we found a decent spot on Mineshaft. If they gave everyone a map with a few key places marked on it and directions on how to get there it would have been way better. As a spectator with no prior knowledge of this type of event I found it quite confusing. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I would have enjoyed it more if I'd known where to go and when for the best action.
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Short-Change-Hero
    Sounds like it was a fun event. Kinda wish that I had gone up to watch a couple stages and wander the paddock for the vendors, but at the same point it was a lazy weekend for me which was much needed. Got my own riding in here in Carson at my own pace doing a little fork tuning.

Watched some of the vids from Pinkbike, VitalMTB, BikeMag and the like on YouTube to see what the stages looked like. The waterfall/staircase on Stage 4 (I think) looked absolutely gnarly and possibly fun. But we definitely need some precipitation here real soon as everything is getting blown out from the heat and dry.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    It was fun watching the pros zoom past. I think that Northstar should have done a better job communicating to the spectators where the best places to watch were. We pretty much wandered aimlessly, guessing at where to go, until we found a decent spot on Mineshaft. If they gave everyone a map with a few key places marked on it and directions on how to get there it would have been way better. As a spectator with no prior knowledge of this type of event I found it quite confusing. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I would have enjoyed it more if I'd known where to go and when for the best action.
    This

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Despite loose dusty blah blah blah these people were incredible to watch. The fact that they can go from slick roots at Whistler one week to hub deep brown pow the next and anhilate all of it is even more impressive. Glad I went.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Was up there yesterday with a buddy, I would say if it returns next year I wouldnt mind doing another day trip just to watch. It was deader than I expected, but was kind of a good thing tbh.

Defo need better info/race guide on how to get to spectating spots, watched the queen stage at the waterfall at SnS, insane. Insane how quiet the bikes are and how the pros smash that section. Unreal.

mtbr member
    Was up there yesterday with a buddy, I would say if it returns next year I wouldnt mind doing another day trip just to watch. It was deader than I expected, but was kind of a good thing tbh.

Defo need better info/race guide on how to get to spectating spots, watched the queen stage at the waterfall at SnS, insane. Insane how quiet the bikes are and how the pros smash that section. Unreal.
    No US round next year for the EWS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^ gg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I don't think more than thousand people showed up. Was kind of awkward to get from stage to stage. Ended up watching elite men on Sticks & Stones and Boondocks.
    Wouldn't drive up next time, but watching best riders in the world - definitely worth doing at least once.
    And apparently new trails aren't opening tomorrow :|
    New trails were open today. River Styx is one huge rut with dust knee deep, fun doing once. TNT was way out of my league, I'd say a step-up in difficulty from Sticks&Stones

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New trails were open today. River Styx is one huge rut with dust knee deep, fun doing once. TNT was way out of my league, I'd say a step-up in difficulty from Sticks&Stones
    Do you know or did they say the new trails will be open for a while or at least til next weekend? Im goin on Sun. Would love to try out the new ones!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using ****************android_app_mtbr

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Do you know or did they say the new trails will be open for a while or at least til next weekend? Im goin on Sun. Would love to try out the new ones!

Maybe ask https://twitter.com/northstarmtn - mountain patrol and lift crew had zero clues when I asked them this morning. I just ignored the tape. They posted later that trails are indeed open.

mtbr member

Tell no tails already has official signage up, so I assume it will remain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Video I took at EWS Northstar

I took some footage of Rude, Hill, Maes, and Melamed on the "slab" rock garden of stage 5. It was interesting to see in person. You get more of the subtle differences between riders. https://youtu.be/R2gy6csG-50

Hella Olde

Giddyup

Quote Originally Posted by jindustry View Post
    I took some footage of Rude, Hill, Maes, and Melamed on the "slab" rock garden of stage 5. It was interesting to see in person. You get more of the subtle differences between riders. https://youtu.be/R2gy6csG-50
    I heard the rodeo was in town last weekend!!

In case ppl somehow missed WynTV - it's a kinda fun Norcal episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4pLrfLfoM

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Even in slo-mo these guys are flying thru that rock garden! Wish I had been there to spectate.

sbd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    Even in slo-mo these guys are flying thru that rock garden! Wish I had been there to spectate.
    It was worth the journey.

If it ever comes back I'm going again

mtbr member
    If it comes back again I highly recommend racing it. By far one of the best put on events I have ever done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Tried Tell No Tales. Some loose sketchiness but really good. Will do again, haha.