mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Anyone else night riding? Almost got caught tonight.

I just got back from trying to ride into Calero at the newer Mckean entrance and a ranger turned me away. I rode Santa Teresa and as we came out of the trail a sheriff pulled up, turned off his lights and waited. I saw a ranger drive up earlier so Iím thinking they were working together.

I donít know if I was just really unlucky tonight or if they are out really enforcing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Unintentionally yes, my ride yesterday turned into a night ride. The time-change messed me up.

I understand that parks close at sunset but enforcing this seems a little harsh.

mtbr member
    Yup! I started at 5:45 so technically it was dark already and 30 mins after sunset. I was stopped by Midpen and I actually kid of expected to be. I parked right near the trail head but they will be out there. Ranger was super cool with me but I also didn't BS him at all. I know from experience when people try to BS me it just makes me want to give them a ticket or create more hassle. They will do this for a while since people like me sometimes like to try and squeeze in a ride after work. I will most likely do night road rides.
    They never made the "Slowster"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Such B. S. OH its a little dark. Shut it all down!!

Moderator Moderator
    People enjoying the woods at night, what is the world coming to?

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Backside of China Camp. Or EBRPD parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    There is at least one East Bay SF park open until 10pm- and 2 others where there is a lot of night riding that goes 'undisturbed'. I'm looking for a night riding partner(s) for Tues, Thurs and Sunday evenings in Oakland Hills area. I'm still very slow on the uphills but pretty fast downhill- upper beginner-lower intermediate- ride 1.5-2 hrs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    What kind of draconian overzealous policing is this? I thought Murica was the place of freedom?

Nobody
    Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    Yup! I started at 5:45 so technically it was dark already and 30 mins after sunset. I was stopped by Midpen and I actually kid of expected to be. I parked right near the trail head but they will be out there. Ranger was super cool with me but I also didn't BS him at all. I know from experience when people try to BS me it just makes me want to give them a ticket or create more hassle. They will do this for a while since people like me sometimes like to try and squeeze in a ride after work. I will most likely do night road rides.
    Don't you have a permanent hall pass, so to speak???
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Amen! Iíll make sure to park away from the trailhead and pick my trailheads carefully.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    I thought Murica was the place of freedom?
    But you're in the alter world of CA....and things only get worse in the Bay area.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hillsandspills View Post
    I just got back from trying to ride into Calero at the newer Mckean entrance and a ranger turned me away. I rode Santa Teresa and as we came out of the trail a sheriff pulled up, turned off his lights and waited. I saw a ranger drive up earlier so Iím thinking they were working together.

I donít know if I was just really unlucky tonight or if they are out really enforcing?
    Personally - I would NOT be riding Calero at night. There's been a large lion sighting there pretty recently and there are a lot of deers that seem to be active along the trail. Last time I rode near sunset and it was way too eerie for my liking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It never ceases to amaze me how they dont have the "resources" to patrol, investigate and hardly respond to burglaries, car theft, bicycle theft , etc. (in San Jose atleast. Ive been burgled and had a car stolen. The officer took over an hour to respond , then shrugged it off as no biggie and said there are hundreds every night.)...but all this attention and resources for victimless trail use after hours. Perplexing.

....And mountain lions dont attack people. (your anecdotal response will not affect my rational judgement of the odds) If your still really worried about it, ride with someone smaller than you ( that you dont really care for). Cats are smart, theyll attack the smaller person first.
    Detailed Calculation Of The Odds Of Death From A Mountain Lion Attack On A Person

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The rules aren't there for the harmless people. They're they're for the dirtbags.
    Dirtbags being druggies, vandals, people who will get litigious when they fall and get hurt in the dark and no one comes to save them.

If there weren't so many a-holes on the planet, we'd have a lot less rules to deal with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vedson View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how they dont have the "resources" to patrol, investigate and hardly respond to burglaries, car theft, bicycle theft , etc. (in San Jose atleast. Ive been burgled and had a car stolen. The officer took over an hour to respond , then shrugged it off as no biggie and said there are hundreds every night.)...but all this attention and resources for victimless trail use after hours. Perplexing.

....And mountain lions dont attack people. (your anecdotal response will not affect my rational judgement of the odds) If your still really worried about it, ride with someone smaller than you ( that you dont really care for). Cats are smart, theyll attack the smaller person first.
    Detailed Calculation Of The Odds Of Death From A Mountain Lion Attack On A Person
    I thoroughly enjoyed that calculation! Thanks for sharing!

TLDR: You would expect to die in an automobile accident ~320 times before dying from a mountain lion attack

mtbr member
    I've only had one close call with a Ranger at Auburn SRA. Otherwise it's been years and years of night riding and no issues. Sounds like the Rangers in Bay Area are really uptight. I swear for the part of the world that essentially invented mountain biking they sure haven't embraced the culture down there yet.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I agree with all this and don't dispute that statistics and that in general we are at odds with our own lives when we walk on the sidewalk, drive our cars, and ride on our mountain bikes. Risk (and reward) are inherent in our daily lives. Personally knowing there is active deer and mountain lion activity in a certain area, I rather not put myself at further risk when and where these animals are most active. I certainly don't want to startle and get in between a mountain lion ready to pounce on their prey.

I have personally encountered one before - and rather not have it happen again.

Hella Olde
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post

If there weren't so many a-holes on the planet, we'd have a lot less rules to deal with.

Yep

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It seems that most attacks were during the day- so night ride better :-)

Everywhere I ride is known for coyotes, deer, bob cats, mountain lions and bears....saw coyote on my path hiking last night- he ran away.

But like diving- lots of sharks we never see- but they're out there- not going to stop diving.

BTW- I added bells to my bike- both to warn any hiker and wild life. Thought noise would drive me crazy, but I don't even notice now & really works

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by B1KER View Post
    Sounds like the Rangers in Bay Area are really uptight. I swear for the part of the world that essentially invented mountain biking they sure haven't embraced the culture down there yet.
    We're also the birthplace of the Sierra Club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    Don't you have a permanent hall pass, so to speak???
    I try not to use it. Had to pull it out this last time though.
    They never made the "Slowster"

fading away
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Backside of China Camp. Or EBRPD parks.
    This (above) is the only nearby solution short of getting caught and fined by the man; trails are open until 10:00PM. Or, you could just venture out into the vast void of Henry Coe, where anything goes.
    in this dying light

Nobody

This math only works if the sample group is engaged in the same activity for an equal amount of time. Hundreds of millions of people drive roads every day.

What percentage of those people hike or bike in areas where they might encounter a mountain lion. Once you figure that out, then you need to know what percentage of time do they spend in the "at risk" area.

If I drive my car every single day, but I only hike or bike once a week, how do you compare? Also, when I'm in my car everyday, how many cars do I come in proximity with that I might get in a fatal accident.

Only playing the protagonist here. I also ride at day and night and do not worry about Lion attacks. However, if I hear of known activity in a specific area, I avoid it. Unlike, how I hear about car accidents all the time, but I still head out the door every day. Therefore, I am actively engaging in an activity that I know is potentially fatal...
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

190lbs of climber
    Sigh, once again, see my signature line for why I moved away and am never moving back. Virtually everything I enjoy as part of my healthy lifestyle on the central coast is a misdemeanor or worse in the Bay Area. Yep, I just got back from my weekly 5:45pm group trail run. Wednesdays year round in Santa Barbara, and the same goes for the 5:45pm mountain bike ride on Mondays. No stupid rangers, no speed limits, technical trails that don't get paved with pea gravel, I can drink a beer while riding... gah, I'm stressed already about the five days I'm spending back in the Bay Area for Thanksgiving. And I love my family!
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I hear you about the mountain lions. But, I just heard of a mtn lion sighting in a place I ride several times a week and went there anyway, after dark, alone. The thing is, they are always there; we just rarely see them. So I feel it makes no difference if there are reports or not. Honestly, MTB is 'risky' behavior in itself, but so far one of the lowest risk sports I participate in.

default title
    Mar 2008
    I would appreciate more sheriff/ranger night patrols in and near Pogonip in Santa Cruz tyvm.
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Damn, and i thought the bay area access to MTB was pretty terrible before, i didn't even realize its illegal to night ride trails!? Youd think the sheriff has something better to do than hassle a well-to-do fitness junkie on a silent bike, over a law meant to stop loud parties and drug users. geez.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    So I was biking Emm McCrary late afternoon yesterday. So many homeless and zombies out there! I'd be concerned riding solo at night anywhere near the tracks.

There were 10 above Golf Club Drive on the trestle hanging out. I know they mostly leave us alone but they're not always in the best state of mind.Anyone else night riding?  Almost got caught tonight.-golf-links-drive-trestle.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Have been for past few weeks - no worries in the eldoco

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Why worry about it. If it's your time to go than that's that. I ride emma a ton and fear of mtn lions or homeless people isn't gonna stop me.

singletrack bound
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    So I was biking Emm McCrary late afternoon yesterday. So many homeless and zombies out there! I'd be concerned riding solo at night anywhere near the tracks.

There were 10 above Golf Club Drive on the trestle hanging out. I know they mostly leave us alone but they're not always in the best state of mind.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golf Links Drive Trestle.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1224955
    I had to go "face to face" with one guy awhile ago right at the top of Emma where it starts on to U conn......I was by myself.

The guy was coming up from 9 and came right up to me yelling schit and I yelled back at him not to get any closer!!!!

Thought I was going to have to go ape schit on him! Came pretty close!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Well.. then they'll find out who's the real crazy one at that point.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Azflyfishing View Post
    Why worry about it. If it's your time to go than that's that. I ride emma a ton and fear of mtn lions or homeless people isn't gonna stop me.
    Mountain lion is nothing to be concerned about. Theyíre there same as the last few hundred years.

Crazy people, Iíd take precaution
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone No Balone View Post
    I had to go "face to face" with one guy awhile ago right at the top of Emma where it starts on to U conn......I was by myself.

The guy was coming up from 9 and came right up to me yelling schit and I yelled back at him not to get any closer!!!!

Thought I was going to have to go ape schit on him! Came pretty close!!
    When was this?

My buddies stopped their daily commutes by the levy. Too much insanity
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    True. U also have a pretty sizable weapon your riding. Carry a knife. Practice head on a swivel theory. I've been in far worse places. At least u dont have guns here. Lol

singletrack bound
    it's been a couple years ago now......

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    When was this?

My buddies stopped their daily commutes by the levy. Too much insanity
    I donít think one should stop doing anything they enjoy because of a few idiots. But, you donít want one of them to cause you to get in trouble.

As bad as that area is, it pales in comparison to SF. Itís a disgrace what has been allowed to happen there.