anyone done Mt. Eddy & Sisson Calahan?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019

anyone done Mt. Eddy & Sisson Calahan?

Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ridden Mt. Eddy and Sisson Calahan up near Shasta, and what the descent is like. I stumbled across the video below and it doesn't look too gnarly, but I know video can be deceiving. The elevation change seems real big for the distance. Is it rated black for steepness/altitude, or are there big sketchy sections/drops? I don't mind some hike-a-biking, have been mtb'ing for 25 years, but would head up solo so want to exercise some caution - and have fun. I'm really comfortable with rides like Tamarancho and Annadel, fitness level is good, but am not a hucker and ride pretty conservatively on a full suspension XC rig. Also wondering if it's stupid to even consider riding/hiking up and then riding down (rather than shuttling)...

Any feedback/info on those trails would be appreciated. Looks like fun, but if it seems to sketchy for a solo ride, may head up to Tahoe instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hh47nrJFKE

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Not very technical as a whole. It is very high speed and narrow with some exposed sections towards the bottom. If you shuttle with Shasta gravity, there will probably be others to ride with. It's a lot of DH. I think almost 6,000ft. Some double track, fireroad and mostly singletrack. I'd say it's more of a xc downhill than an downhiller's dh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    That's super helpful - thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Take the shuttle, you still have 1K of tech climbing to the pass and then another 1K+ with some HAB to the top of Mt Eddy. Really good view of Shasta from there if it's clear. Climbable from the bottom but expect to do some serious walking, probably 3+ hours total (likely more) to the top of Eddy.
    Romani ite domum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm View Post
    Take the shuttle, you still have 1K of tech climbing to the pass and then another 1K+ with some HAB to the top of Mt Eddy. Really good view of Shasta from there if it's clear. Climbable from the bottom but expect to do some serious walking, probably 3+ hours total (likely more) to the top of Eddy.
    This trail has been on my radar. Would like to ride it, including summiting Mt. Eddy sans shuttle. Has anyone else climbed it? Is the main route obvious? Heard of others that took a wrong turn.
    Any Strava stats for up and down?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Haven't done the HAB to the top of Mt Eddy, but did ride Sisson Calahan back in June. I'd say it's similar to Downieville in terms of skill required. Rideable on an XC bike but there are a few techy/rocky sections that would require your full attention. Imagine the rock garden on the back of Tamarancho, but longer and with a few more rocks. But once you get down next to the river it's a blast! Nice, flowy, fast trail.

Ride On!
    Quote Originally Posted by 415mtb View Post
    Hey all,

I'm wondering if anyone has ridden Mt. Eddy and Sisson Calahan up near Shasta, and what the descent is like. I stumbled across the video below and it doesn't look too gnarly, but I know video can be deceiving. The elevation change seems real big for the distance. Is it rated black for steepness/altitude, or are there big sketchy sections/drops? I don't mind some hike-a-biking, have been mtb'ing for 25 years, but would head up solo so want to exercise some caution - and have fun. I'm really comfortable with rides like Tamarancho and Annadel, fitness level is good, but am not a hucker and ride pretty conservatively on a full suspension XC rig. Also wondering if it's stupid to even consider riding/hiking up and then riding down (rather than shuttling)...

Any feedback/info on those trails would be appreciated. Looks like fun, but if it seems to sketchy for a solo ride, may head up to Tahoe instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hh47nrJFKE
    It looks to be a good ride, not too technical. As with most of the video's that Trail Peek puts out, he is riding wicked fast! Putting this one on my radar as I am only about 90 minutes away from Shasta. Anyone rode the "Four Mile Shuttle" that Shasta Gravity has and the Gateway Trail System? They have a special right now, two laps for

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    Anyone rode the "Four Mile
    "Four Mile" is okay, but it is well worth it to pedal up the road to the 5 mile drop-in. The forest service only permits the shuttle to go to the gate at the 4 mile point. If you only do the 4 mile, you miss the good stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hey, much appreciate the feedback. Yeah, that guy is ripping! I'm enthused to hit that trail - at a moderate pace.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNotShow View Post
    Haven't done the HAB to the top of Mt Eddy, but did ride Sisson Calahan back in June. I'd say it's similar to Downieville in terms of skill required. Rideable on an XC bike but there are a few techy/rocky sections that would require your full attention. Imagine the rock garden on the back of Tamarancho, but longer and with a few more rocks. But once you get down next to the river it's a blast! Nice, flowy, fast trail.
    This is super helpful. Confirmed I think it's all good for me. Going to surely walk some but sounds like there's still plenty of fun to be had. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by fourarm View Post
    Yeah, I think I'll take that route. Can always come back for the full climb, would also like to ride what I think is called the Gateway area so don't want to burn all my matches in one day. This is really helpful info, much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    This trail has been on my radar. Would like to ride it, including summiting Mt. Eddy sans shuttle. Has anyone else climbed it? Is the main route obvious? Heard of others that took a wrong turn.
    First time posting for me, pardon the multiple posts, still figuring out the mechanics of it. But thanks all for the replies and info, this is rad. As for Strava, I poked around with the 'segment explore' feature and zoomed in on the area, clicked on a couple of the segments, and was able to find some rides folks have done, so there's info out there. The PR for the Mt. Eddy ascent (a little over a mile) is 2.4 mph, so that says a lot about the grade up and down. The downhill speeds were relatively low as well. Especially on Mt. Eddy and also on Callahan, there's a bunch of (short) sections that get at or above 30% grade. There's a fair amount on Strava if you dig around a little.

mtbr member
    ...There's a fair amount on Strava if you dig around a little.
    Lots of folks riding down. The climb up from the saddle junction to the summit looks to take around 30-60 minutes.
    Still looking for climbing times from the lake up.

mtbr member
    would also like to ride what I think is called the Gateway area
    Here is a strava track of the full gateway trail system: https://www.strava.com/activities/2502235093

190lbs of climber
    I rode it up and down about two years ago. The upper half of the climb, once I turned off the fireroad onto the singletrack was fairly steep and technical. It's a true epic ride, so much elevation in one descent!

strava of my ride. Note: I'm a fairly accomplished xc pro weenie, so it's best to use my ride time as a starting point and add an hour or two.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    This might be what you are looking for:

https://www.strava.com/segments/21230412?filter=overall

Several riders in the top 10 have done the ride from mt shasta up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBikeStore View Post
    This might be what you are looking for:

https://www.strava.com/segments/21230412?filter=overall

Several riders in the top 10 have done the ride from mt shasta up.
    Thanx. The more info the better. And thank you to Menso for providing some uphill stats.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    TheBikeStore and Menso - thanks much for the great info.

Decided on trying the full climb from the bottom, but am unsure about which route to take. I'm probably overthinking this, but with that disclaimer:

1) This route? https://www.strava.com/activities/26...60#67345033156
    Upside -> I like that it's a loop and it definitely seems to have less HAB on the climb. Possible downside -> Needing to navigate a little more. Also, does anyone know if that section of PCT (from Toad Lake over to Deadfall Lakes) is bike legal?

2) 2nd Route Option just an out/back (up/down) Sisson-Callahan to Mt. Eddy. Upside -> This seems easy to navigate, and is nice if I need to I can just turn back down. Downside -> probably a lot more HAB, and out/backs tend to be less interesting. That climb will be slooooow but I guess at least I'll get to see what I'm going to descend.

3) 3rd Option: https://www.strava.com/activities/11...49#64144850294. This is Menso's route, kind of a blend of options 1 & 2. Navigation seems mildly tricky but not too bad, but I'm not sure if I'm skipping much HAB by fire-roading just the initial part of the climb (lower Sisson Callahan seems more rideable than the upper part).

I'll be going slower than the 2 Strava routes linked above, and hey, maybe I'll turn back early but maybe it'll be a long fun day. Any feedback on route suggestions? Any knowledge of what those 'unnamed' (fire?) roads are like? Does anyone know if there's a parking lot/trailhead at the start of Sisson Callahan? Again, really appreciate all the great info on this forum.

mtbr member
    TheBikeStore and Menso - thanks much for the great info.

Decided on trying the full climb from the bottom, but am unsure about which route to take. I'm probably overthinking this, but with that disclaimer:
    The Perfect Cycling Trail is Not bike legal, Up and back mid week is doable with some HAB sections for sure, route 3 with gps data should be easy enough to follow. Roads are mostly numbered around here.

If you go out North Shore road to the end of the Sis-Cal trail just past lake siskiyou, there is parking there for a few vehicles. The lower part of the trail is climbable but it is a slow low gear haul.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBikeStore View Post
    The Perfect Cycling Trail is Not bike legal, Up and back mid week is doable with some HAB sections for sure, route 3 with gps data should be easy enough to follow. Roads are mostly numbered around here.

If you go out North Shore road to the end of the Sis-Cal trail just past lake siskiyou, there is parking there for a few vehicles. The lower part of the trail is climbable but it is a slow low gear haul.
    Sweet, thanks Mike. Going up this Sunday, I think I'll stick with route 3 based on your feedback. And thanks for the parking info, too. I'll miss your shop's open hours with the events going on but hope to make it back up soon. Seems like a lot of good mtb action growing up in Shasta (either that or just my awareness of it is growing).

190lbs of climber
    I'll be going slower than the 2 Strava routes linked above, and hey, maybe I'll turn back early but maybe it'll be a long fun day. Any feedback on route suggestions? Any knowledge of what those 'unnamed' (fire?) roads are like? Does anyone know if there's a parking lot/trailhead at the start of Sisson Callahan? Again, really appreciate all the great info on this forum.
    The lower fire road that I was on from miles 8-13 of my ride was smooth, well graded, and an easy climb. Note that at mile 12.7 I knew I was close to the trail, but couldn't actually locate where it came out onto the fireroad, as it is kinda a rough track at that location. I had spotted the downhill continuation though.

I actually had meant to just go up the trail from that road, but I couldn't find it. I had loaded offline google map images to my phone, so I could see the route that I ended up taking, but be warned that even though it appears as a dotted line on the strava basemap, it is an old mining road that is not maintained and was a bit of a bushwhack back in 2017. You're better off locating and going up the S-C Trail at that switchback at mile 12.7 on the fire road.

As for parking, there's plenty of pullout along the paved and dirt road I start on. You'll notice that at mile 30.3 I deviated from the end of the trail, which actually continues on the north side of the river onto North Shore Road. I was riding in the dark at that point (with lights) and didn't know where I was. I ended up finding a nice rocky spot to hopscotch across the river and back onto the paved road. Depending on how high the water is, you may not be able to cross back to W A Barr Road as I did.
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Menso View Post
    The lower fire road that I was on from miles 8-13 of my ride was smooth, well graded, and an easy climb. Note that at mile 12.7.....
    Dude, this is great. Thanks for the heads up on trouble spots, sounds like an epic day. Sometimes it's fun to get a little lost, but this ride I'm glad to have some good direction. Printing out some maps from topozone.com, with that and all this info I should be well set. I'll shave some miles off starting closer to the S-C trailhead and hopefully avoiding that old mining road detour. Thanks again, Menso.

mtbr member
    Hereís the pedal route I took:

https://strava.app.link/lhOBfKipWZ

Lots of different ways to do it on this trail. This was a good mix of climbing mellow fireroad and a bit of singletrack to keep things interesting.

The descent is rad. You can take whatever bike you want, but youíre definitely rewarded on bigger/aggressive bikes. Itís a fast trail and more technical than it looks.

The hike to the top of Eddy from the PCT shouldnt take longer than an hour. Thats hiking at a conservative pace, with a couple stops to check the view and catch your breath.
    Last edited by Bike Bandito; 09-13-2019 at 06:47 AM.