mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Anybody running plus tires in Fort Ord?

I currently live in Santa Cruz and run standard 29er tires and love them. The added heft of plus tires don't really make sense with the great traction in the Santa Cruz loam. However I am moving to Monterey soon and am wondering if plus tires are, well, a plus in the sandy conditions of Fort Ord. I am skeptical of plus tires in most conditions, but I think they maybe the best option for The Ord. Looking for first hand experience with riding with standard tires and plus tires in Fort Ord.

I am mainly looking for insight into the downhill performance advantages-if there are any-but will listen to your take on climbing there as well. Also, i am interested in plus, NOT fat. I am considering a new plus bike-single speed hardtail with a 2.8 front and 2.6 rear. I am currently running 2.3 Maxxis DHF and 2.3 High Roller.

Please convince me I need a new bike.

mtbr member
    If there was any performance advantage to plus tires the pros would be running them, right?

What’s your current rim width? Try a 2.5 DHF and a 2.5 aggressor. The aggressor will roll much better than the high roller on those pedally descents at Ord.

Ride On!
    I ride Ft Ord quite a bit throughout the year on a HD3 which currently has a 2.6 wiht the 2.8 handling those sandy areas where others tend to wash out. The 2.8 came with the bike and will be replaced with a 2.6 when it wears out.

Got to say I am a bit jealous, I have been wanting to live back down there again after having been stationed there and living there 3 years after I got out. Keep trying, but I don't have the DOD Clearance necessary for most IT work and you cannot get one without a sponsor/job.

I met some really friendly folks from MORCA (Monterey Off Road Cycling Association) https://morcamtb.org/ who have weekly rides, trail work, etc... Good luck on the move.

jct
    mtbr member
    i live in santa cruz midtown and work near Ord and hit it on my lunch break a few times a week. i ride a SS rigid with 3" chupas. plus tires are really effin awesome at Ord. they are also awesome all over santa cruz too.

i think your current setup will work just fine....but you should definitely get a new bike. A SS is great for ord because you're either going up or down. there's not a whole lot of flat cruising unless you're over off giggling.
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

Formerly dvo
    I ride a Hightower and love to throw on the 2.8's for Ord.
    I'm the problem....

mtbr member
    I ended up picking up a used fat bike on the cheap for out there and places like the John Nicolas trail. Swore I'd never go back to a hard-tail years ago but I'm having fun out there.

jms
    mtbr member
    You've already got plenty of tire. I ride EVERYTHING @ Ord on 29x2.1' and 2.25 without issue. I'm riding a 2.1 Rocket Ron and 2.1 Thunderburt combination out there right now, and it's plenty.. as always, your results make vary
    Last edited by jms; 03-13-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

singletrack bound
    you must spread some reputation around before giving it to JMS again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Agreed. I use Ardent 2.25 and Forekaster 2.2 and can ride all trails at Ord without any problems

jct
    mtbr member
    yea sure i ride my CX bike there all the time with no problems either!!! it's not a difficult place to ride! but we aren't doing a good job of telling him he needs to buy another bike...heheh
    i will not yield to DH traffic.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideOf50 View Post
    I ride Ft Ord quite a bit throughout the year on a HD3 which currently has a 2.6 wiht the 2.8 handling those sandy areas where others tend to wash out. The 2.8 came with the bike and will be replaced with a 2.6 when it wears out.

Got to say I am a bit jealous, I have been wanting to live back down there again after having been stationed there and living there 3 years after I got out. Keep trying, but I don't have the DOD Clearance necessary for most IT work and you cannot get one without a sponsor/job.

I met some really friendly folks from MORCA (Monterey Off Road Cycling Association) https://morcamtb.org/ who have weekly rides, trail work, etc... Good luck on the move.
    Heard from a few M3 riders dropping to the 2.6's with a tire change. So if 2.8/3.0 are mid+, 2.6 must be mini mid!👍
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    -I'm with JMS & Tone on this one. In nearly 20 years riding around here you'll be fine on your current setup. What's more important is learning the place and knowing what trails to hit in the Summer and what trails to hit the rest of the year.

Even more important: Why ride Ord when Toro is right across the street.

On a less serious note (kinda), I demo'd a Hightower before buying one and it had Plus tires. What you'll learn about Ord is the rain ruts dry hard and most people are on regular tires out there. The Plus tires tended to grab differently in those situations. Same for square-edge ruts. The Plus tire hit's them sooner than you would expect compared to a 2.1 to 2.3 tire. I noticed it but surely you'd adjust. Last negative is cost. Those tires are stupid expensive.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?