fc
    head minion Administrator

Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?

Lemme know. Where area do you live at and what trails do ride it in? Totally happy? Want more suspension?

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    I have a Mach 6. And demoed the Switchblade several times.

My quick-review; the Switchblade is a stiffer, better pedaling Hightower.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

mtbr member
    I have a Switchblade owned it since June 2017 and just received a 2019 frame under warranty after a crack on the chain stay. I really like the bike. Never feels like I need more bike but sometimes I feel overbiked too.

I am in the U.K., ride mainly in North Yorkshire with conditions similar to the PNW.

Let me know what specifics you need and Iíll be happy to oblige.

mtbr member
    I ride Auburn and the Sierra most of the time but also visit SC a fair amount. I love to climb and descend and do drops up to 8í and occasional doubles 15-20í.

The Switchblade is incredible. Super stiff and really goes where you point it. It is a little stronger in the DH than in the UH! Corners tightly and jumps well. Iíve been on the bike just over a year, put over 600 miles on it and have only bottomed out the rear shock once when I took a jump that was bigger than I was anticipating and landed flat.

Needless to say I found the bike that works for me. For comparison my past 2 bikes were a Ventana Marble Peak and a Santa Cruz Nomad II.

Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-24b66329-dca5-41e2-9064-e4390c33a6d9.jpg

Nobody
    FC, could have sworn that you were riding a switchblade last year for quite a bit.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
    FC, could have sworn that you were riding a switchblade last year for quite a bit.
    why yes
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahooo View Post
    I ride Auburn and the Sierra most of the time but also visit SC a fair amount. I love to climb and descend and do drops up to 8í and occasional doubles 15-20í.

The Switchblade is incredible. Super stiff and really goes where you point it. It is a little stronger in the DH than in the UH! Corners tightly and jumps well. Iíve been on the bike just over a year, put over 600 miles on it and have only bottomed out the rear shock once when I took a jump that was bigger than I was anticipating and landed flat.

Needless to say I found the bike that works for me. For comparison my past 2 bikes were a Ventana Marble Peak and a Santa Cruz Nomad II.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24B66329-DCA5-41E2-9064-E4390C33A6D9.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	1224574
    Right on Yahoo and Just J. Some questions:

1) Does the Superboost 157 rear hub bother you or is that not an issue with wheel compatibility and options?

2) Is the Fox DPS rear shock just right or does it sometimes feel underpowered and overheated?

3) What do you think of the new offset with 160 front, DPX2 rear and shorter wheel offset of 44.

4)Is the wheelbase too long or are you happy with it in your size?
    Last edited by fc; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:50 PM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've got 2 years and around 2700 miles on mine. I ride it everywhere. I have had all the upgrades minus the fork offset for the last year at least. I upgraded from the dps to the dpx2 last year around this time. It was a significant upgrade. The rear tracked the ground so much better, providing loads more traction and support. Much more adjustable as well. I had my LBS extend the forks to 160 when I got the bike, so that's all I know. Wheel compatibility isn't an issue for me. I have the DT Swiss 27.5+ wheelset and the 29er wheelset. I just replaced the DT swiss 29er rims I had with Reserve 30's. Wheel builder said it was the stiffest wheelset he has built. I'm 5'10" and I chose a large frame. Because it is so overbuilt, it feels like a monster truck, which is not bad. Wheelbase doesn't seem to be something that I think about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    Right on Yahoo and Just J. Some questions:

1) Does the Superboost 157 rear hub bother you or is that not an issue with wheel compatibility and options?

2) Is the Fox DPS rear shock just right or does it sometimes feel underpowered and overheated?

3) What do you think of the new offset with 160 front, DPX2 rear and shorter wheel offset of 44.

4)Is the wheelbase too long or are you happy with it in your size?
    FC-

Answers:
    1) Super boost is an asset. It allows the short chain stays which makes the bike more nimble when climbing and more flickable.

Wanting carbon hoops and I9 hubs, I had a set of non-proprietary 29Ē wheels built (by Mike at Winters Velo!) and had no issue finding the hub (same spec as DH hubs).

2) Iíve wondered about the shock- for a while I thought it might be out gunned with the rest of the bike and I was thinking about Foxís X2 as a replacement but I liked its light weight and even after seriously long descents (Dville, Mills, Hough, Toads) it never felt too hot. Recently had my fork and shock serviced at Full Flow and adjusted the air pressure a little and now itís totally dialed. Maybe it gets better with better shocks- I dunno.

3) Iíd like to try the newer model and then I could honestly tell you the difference.

Iím running my fork at 150 and have the headset spacer on. My guess is running a 160 with a shorter offset might make the front wheel a little light on steep climbs/switchbacks.

Never having ridden on a DPX2 Iíd need to ride one to give you my opinion on the differences.

4) The wheelbase is perfect on the 2017 for the riding I do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-6a6aa1b7-1bae-4529-ac59-cc77a6d608e3.jpg  

mtbr member

1) The Superboost rear end has been a revelation for me, it really helps create a very stiff rear end that my 235lbs frame benefits from. I specced the Reynolds 29Ē wheels on mine and compatibility hasnít been an issue. I am rarely made aware of the extra width although a ride in the rock strewn lakes did have me clipping my DT Swiss thru axle lever. Pivot now spec a bolt on thru axle and that issue has gone. The short chain stays are a real bonus too. Thereís also more tyre clearance on the latest frame.

I am a SuperBoost convert, so much so, my latest custom Waltworks is coming with it.

2) I specced my bike with a Float X2 and itís the perfect shock on this bike as it offers so much adjustability. I was advised by Dan at Pivot to go with this shock being a bigger guy. I also have the DPS shock that I managed to obtain off of the Facebook Pivot Owners Group. It also works well but offers more of an XC feel more of the time, itís harsher with nowhere near the adjustability you get from the X2. It also doesnít cope as well with sustained bigger hits.

3) I am still on my 51mm offset 36 with 150mm travel but I do plan on upping the travel to 160 seeing as I now have the latest frame. I have been advised not to spend the money on swapping out the steerer, crown and stanchions on my fork to go down to the 44mm as I probably wouldnít notice the difference.

4) By todayís standards the Switchbladeís wheelbase isnít crazy long. The bike has always felt really nimble to me and stable where it ought to. Iím very happy on a size large.

One issue I have had is the low BB but when I Up the travel to 160mm and a recently serviced shock that now no longer sits too low in its travel should sort this out once and for all.

Anymore questions please just ask...

mtbr member

Oops

fc
    You guys are amazing resources!!!!!!! I am deciding whether to test the new version and I wanted to hear from owners how they felt about the current model.

Thank you!
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    You guys are amazing resources!!!!!!! I am deciding whether to test the new version and I wanted to hear from owners how they felt about the current model.

Thank you!
    Youíre welcome! Your initial reviews were what helped spur me into getting mine.

mtbr member
    Theres a new one coming out??? Why wouldn't you want to test out the new one? Curious.. You had the old/current one and seemed to really like it... Must have to many bikes in the garage to ride. Life is good for FC!

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
    Theres a new one coming out??? Why wouldn't you want to test out the new one? Curious.. You had the old/current one and seemed to really like it... Must have to many bikes in the garage to ride. Life is good for FC!
    There's bikes arriving now every day.

Ha, ha... I'm getting this one now too. Hearing what others are saying here gave me the push I needed.

So I bought my old Switchblade which is kind of a big deal since I don't buy a lot of bikes. I didn't like the Plus tires in the Bay Area even though they were sweet in Moab! Luckily, they gave me the 29er wheels too so that's how I rode my bike.

Felt the rear shock was underpowered at Braille and Downieville. I also found the allure of higher travel bikes so I rode those more.

And then....the sizing haunted me. I bought a Small since I'm 5'7" and Cocalis insisted on it, with this Switchblade being so long. It was too small as I adopted the 440-450 reach for me. 35 mm stem too. So I sold it.

Anyway, this new bike has the hallowed DPX2 rear shock. May be the best shock made to date (for trail bikes). And the 160mm fork will make this bike burley. I'm a big fan of 44mm offset forks too since they control the wheelbase of bikes and help in the narrow twisties.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

fc
    Last edited by fc; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:41 AM.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    There's bikes arriving now every day.

Ha, ha... I'm getting this one now too. Hearing what others are saying here gave me the push I needed.

So I bought my old Switchblade which is kind of a big deal since I don't buy a lot of bikes. I didn't like the Plus tires in the Bay Area even though they were sweet in Moab! Luckily, they gave me the 29er wheels too so that's how I rode my bike.

Felt the rear shock was underpowered at Braille and Downieville. I also found the allure of higher travel bikes so I rode those more.

And then....the sizing haunted me. I bought a Small since I'm 5'7" and Cocalis insisted on it, with this Switchblade being so long. It was too small as I adopted the 440-450 reach for me. 35 mm stem too. So I sold it.

Anyway, this new bike has the hallowed DPX3 rear shock. May be the best shock made to date (for trail bikes). And the 160mm fork will make this bike burley. I'm a big fan of 44mm offset forks too since they control the wheelbase of bikes and make help in the narrow twisties.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

fc
    Looking forward to hearing what you think of the new bike. It might sway me to convert my fork to 44mm too...

mtbr member

Thank you!
    Happy to help and Iím curious to hear about your impressions of the new model.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post

2) I specced my bike with a Float X2 and itís the perfect shock on this bike as it offers so much adjustability. I was advised by Dan at Pivot to go with this shock being a bigger guy.
    What year is your X2? I'm about 200 lbs with gear and I find that with 1 volume spacer, I'm at 265 psi just to get the sag right (Max is 250 psi).
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post
    What year is your X2? I'm about 200 lbs with gear and I find that with 1 volume spacer, I'm at 265 psi just to get the sag right (Max is 250 psi).

Mine is a 2017 X2, so the 250 psi version. I am 235lbs and Iím getting the recommended 17mm sag with about 240psi in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have one, set up as a plus bike. I really love it, ride all over with it from here to Truckee. Seems like a really well built and engineered bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-dsc_7479.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I love my Switchblade. Is it important to know why? Would a new one make me go faster uphill?

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I love my Switchblade. Is it important to know why? Would a new one make me go faster uphill?
    Rhetorical
    IPA will save America

Cynical Chump
    So the new version is just a shock and fork change, right? Seem like good changes.

I was coming off an original Mach 6 and was all set to order a Switchblade (in 29er form) when the Ripmo was announced. After a quick demo, I went with the Ripmo - mostly because of the steeper STA, but I also liked the extra travel (and it's just so damn sexy).

Absolutely loving the Ripmo after 6 months and many rides in CA, BC, Utah etc. The Switchblade possibly a better general trail bike (although these latest changes definitely bring it closer to Ripmo-land). Will be interested to hear what you think.

mtbr member
    Mine is a 2017 X2, so the 250 psi version. I am 235lbs and Iím getting the recommended 17mm sag with about 240psi in there.
    Huh, there must be something wrong with mine. I was going to send it back to Fox for a refresh anyway.
    Sycip Unleaded 650B
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Pivot Mach 5.5

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBro View Post
    So the new version is just a shock and fork change, right? Seem like good changes.

I was coming off an original Mach 6 and was all set to order a Switchblade (in 29er form) when the Ripmo was announced. After a quick demo, I went with the Ripmo - mostly because of the steeper STA, but I also liked the extra travel (and it's just so damn sexy).

Absolutely loving the Ripmo after 6 months and many rides in CA, BC, Utah etc. The Switchblade possibly a better general trail bike (although these latest changes definitely bring it closer to Ripmo-land). Will be interested to hear what you think.
    Great thoughts!! I had a Pivot Mach 6 original. That bike was so terrible. But stepping stones are needed.

Switchblade was everything corrected in the Mach 6. This new one gets it to its potential perhaps.

The Ripmo, probably the best in class since it takes all the different real-estate problems of tire, dropper, waterbottle, shock, chainstay clearances and solves it better than anybody.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post
    Huh, there must be something wrong with mine. I was going to send it back to Fox for a refresh anyway.
    Thatís what Iíd do.

Freezer
    Hey FC, how about a Mach 5.5? I just built one up, and am giddy about how it rides. I also have a dream build SB4.5 which I like, but I absolutely love the 5.5. Fun factor is 2x the Yeti. At 5-7", the Mach 5.5 would be ideal for you.
    Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-img_2348.jpg
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Hey FC, how about a Mach 5.5? I just built one up, and am giddy about how it rides. I also have a dream build SB4.5 which I like, but I absolutely love the 5.5. Fun factor is 2x the Yeti. At 5-7", the Mach 5.5 would be ideal for you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2348.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	322.6 KB 
ID:	1224970
    For sure man. Love that bike too. I like 29ers more for some better. I feel faster. Maybe I am a little bit.

So these new bikes have really made me appreciate how well the new bikes, geometry and suspension work these days. They are so active on bumps but very supportive on drops and corners.

Here's some Moab riding.

Switchblade
    Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-lm-pivot-switchblade_-7770-1024x682.jpg

Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-lm-pivot-switchblade_-7791.jpg

Mach 5.5
    Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-francis-8060.jpg

Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-francis-8489.jpg

Firebird 29
    Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-pivot_firebird_29_francis-2286.jpg

I'm not used to Moab rocks but I'm able to figure it out with these bikes that may be 'too much bike' but allow me to learn and make mistakes.
    IPA will save America

Freezer
    Looking studly there FC! For sure the 29ers are faster, but the 27.5 bikes are arguably funner. I feel like I can carve the trail better on the smaller wheels on the Mach 5.5, whereas the Switchblade with 29ers just gobbles up the terrain. That said, I'm waiting for the next rev of the Switchblade...
    Yeti SB4.5
    Pivot Mach 5.5

Cynical Chump
    I had a Pivot Mach 6 original. That bike was so terrible.
    Oh, come on now! It was a great bike at the time, but with a few big flaws (too-slack STA, terrible cable routing). [Ironically, one of the factors in my buying it was how it did in the mtbr enduro bike review from that time! ] It served me well on my progression from hardtails (for almost 30 years) to finally getting a full-sus (Ibis Mojo SL-R) to figuring out why all the cool kids had these big, slack bikes. But yeah, dated now.
    Last edited by DaveBro; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:32 PM.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBro View Post
    Oh, come on now! It was a great bike at the time, but with a few big flaws (too-slack STA, terrible cable routing). [Ironically, one of the factors in my buying it was how it did in the mtbr enduro bike review from that time! ] It served me well on my progression from hardtail (for almost 20 years) to finally getting a full-sus (Ibis Mojo SL-R) to figuring out why all the cool kids had these big, slack bikes. But yeah, dated now.
    Hey, I bought one! And I convinced my good friend Lauren Gregg to join the Pivot team and ride that thing. It was a key stepping stone.

What it had going for it was the suspension was very active. And it was slack. Maaaaaan, I futzed around with those cables a lot. And that seat angle! I tried and tried then I got the seat position pretty good. I put a Specialized offset command post on it and reversed it, forward like a triathlon bike. It then rode and pedaled good.

But then I was having a beer in the garage and looked at it honestly. Sold it that week.

I have a few friends that still ride this bike so pardon my candor. They can prolly outride me.
    IPA will save America

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by mlloyd007 View Post
    Looking studly there FC! For sure the 29ers are faster, but the 27.5 bikes are arguably funner. I feel like I can carve the trail better on the smaller wheels on the Mach 5.5, whereas the Switchblade with 29ers just gobbles up the terrain. That said, I'm waiting for the next rev of the Switchblade...
    I need to play with it again. Experiment with tires.

One thing good with the new 29ers, especially Pivots are the very short stays. Minion Front, Aggressor rear and the bike turns and pivots like a ballerina. That is a Switchblade trait. And those tires are one of the key Ripmo advantages... tires that allow it to dance.
    Last edited by fc; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:38 PM.
    IPA will save America

Cynical Chump
    Hey, I bought one!
    Ha, fair enough! But I'm guessing you get a better deal on your bikes than most of us.

I still think it's a great bike. The STA was not disastrous for me - I am comfortable on the bike, and it climbs great, but it doesn't take much of a grade before I have to shift forward on the seat to keep the front end down. That gets old.

I'd love to ride the most recent iteration of the Mach 6 - looks like they've fixed the issues I had.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had to warranty my 429SL for a crack from a pivot (no pun intended) recently, but Pivot stood behind it. That's worth something.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I had to warranty my 429SL for a crack from a pivot (no pun intended) recently, but Pivot stood behind it. That's worth something.
    Yes definitely! As I mentioned earlier I had a crack on the swing arm and they also found one on a pivot on the front triangle. I ended up getting a whole new frame without shock. It took 6.5 weeks because Iím in the U.K. and the first frame they sent me was actually damaged, but ultimately I was happy with the replacement and the fact they stood by their warranty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes definitely! As I mentioned earlier I had a crack on the swing arm and they also found one on a pivot on the front triangle. I ended up getting a whole new frame without shock. It took 6.5 weeks because Iím in the U.K. and the first frame they sent me was actually damaged, but ultimately I was happy with the replacement and the fact they stood by their warranty.
    Same here, but reverse, had a crack on the main frame and they found a crack on the rear during inspection, the rear crack was from impact and I was totally unaware of it. It appears the new frame may not be compatible with the old rear, but they just replaced both under warranty. Great process, they didn't try to pull an "ellsworth" or any of that ridiculousness. Definitely stood behind it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Birthday Collector
    fc, I have had my Switchblade only a few months - but absolutely love it. The one thing that stands out to me is something that might not matter to a lot of folks, but this:
    I have rubbed the paint off of the chain stay and seat stay of EVERY Full Sus bike I have ever owned (or ridden more than a few times!) My old Enduro, Scott Ransom, preproduction model of Horsethief I had for a month or so (sorry Salsa!) all had the paint missing after a dozen rides or so. My heels just reflect my duck-footedness! On my Switchblade, with the Superboost rear, you would think that I had taken paint off and started working on the carbon after nearly 4 months... but I have NEVER hit my heel on the bike once yet.

Other than that, it's a fantastic trail bike for all-round use, had capabilities beyond my current skills, it's comfortable for long rides and just works. I ride it around the East Bay, had it in Moab and trails in WA State so far. Yeah, there are other bikes out there with similar capabilities and geometries, but if I had one, there would be paint missing from a few key places...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    fc, I have had my Switchblade only a few months - but absolutely love it. The one thing that stands out to me is something that might not matter to a lot of folks, but this:
    I have rubbed the paint off of the chain stay and seat stay of EVERY Full Sus bike I have ever owned (or ridden more than a few times!) My old Enduro, Scott Ransom, preproduction model of Horsethief I had for a month or so (sorry Salsa!) all had the paint missing after a dozen rides or so. My heels just reflect my duck-footedness! On my Switchblade, with the Superboost rear, you would think that I had taken paint off and started working on the carbon after nearly 4 months... but I have NEVER hit my heel on the bike once yet.

Other than that, it's a fantastic trail bike for all-round use, had capabilities beyond my current skills, it's comfortable for long rides and just works. I ride it around the East Bay, had it in Moab and trails in WA State so far. Yeah, there are other bikes out there with similar capabilities and geometries, but if I had one, there would be paint missing from a few key places...
    Thank you!!!!!
    IPA will save America

fc
    it's here already. wow.Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-screen-shot-2018-11-23-12.22.02-pm.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    it's here already. wow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 12.22.02 PM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	221.6 KB 
ID:	1225986
    Woohoo!

fc
    Here we go. I see many, many mods happening.

I really appreciate what they've done with this platform though.Anybody own a Pivot Switchblade?-img_0641.jpg
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Here we go. I see many, many mods happening.

I really appreciate what they've done with this platform though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0641.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	434.2 KB 
ID:	1226370
    Theyíre so well sorted arenít they?! I took mine out in thick British mud yesterday, Shorty 2.5WT up front with a Minion DHR II our back and it felt perfect, loads of front end bite and a playful rear. Business in the front, party out back! So much fun!!

The suspension on these bikes is so good, makes you feel like a hero when you grab it by the scruff of its neck and ring it!!