mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Anybody here on a YT Jeffsy

Been looking and looking and starting to think that the Jeffsy is a great machine to have for bay area trails and SLO!! Any Thoughts ??

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Get an Ibis.
    T275a

bad reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin650b View Post
    Been looking and looking and starting to think that the Jeffsy is a great machine to have for bay area trails and SLO!! Any Thoughts ??
    I've been of the same suspicion but haven't been able to demo one

mtbr member
    All reviews say it's a great bike. My buddy has one and enjoys it. Can't beat the value for a carbon build..

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Yeah that's definitely the vibe I'm getting ! Looks like I'll have to pull the trigger. Truth is I only have about $3500 to spend

mtbr member
    My wife has one and she loves it. Hers is a 29er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I got a 2017 29 CF Pro Race 3 weeks ago. Love it so far - no complaints at all. However, my understanding is that's few model and size combos are already sold out for 2017...

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Thank god I'm a small

Moderator Moderator
    New 2018 Scott Genius looks pretty promising.

2018 Scott Genius first look - Mtbr.com

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Very good bike. Price considered, very,very good.

Geometry is dialed and components are well selected. Suspension is supple and active.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member

Anybody here on a YT Jeffsy

Only 2 gripes would have to say about the Jeffsey AL would be it's a bit hefty weight wise compared to my 5010c and the crankset seems to be kinda cheap. That's a easy fix though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmxsteve View Post
    Only 2 gripes would have to say about the Jeffsey AL would be it's a bit hefty weight wise compared to my 5010c and the crankset seems to be kinda cheap. That's a easy fix though.

But how did the price compare to your 5010?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Things are considered ! Thanks for the info guys I have a Jamis Dragon Pro hardtail at the moment and that's getting sold on Sunday. I'm pretty set on the Jeffsy, I was considering the Capra, but it might be a little much. Whatever I get, you guys should help me break her in haha get some rides in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBoardman View Post
    But how did the price compare to your 5010?
    That's a huge point. If I were buying new I'd seriously consider the Jeffsey. My 5010 was a used bike off of CL I picked up for $3K and put another $1500 into to make it almost like I want it. My wife's YT was $3K out the door brand new and I couldn't find a good reason to put more than $500 (new crankset) into making it a better bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    That's a huge point. If I were buying new I'd seriously consider the Jeffsey. My 5010 was a used bike off of CL I picked up for $3K and put another $1500 into to make it almost like I want it. My wife's YT was $3K out the door brand new and I couldn't find a good reason to put more than $500 (new crankset) into making it a better bike.

Good points ! Well thanks guys, I think my decision is pretty set in stone

fc
    I've built up a few YT's.

My last one, a friend of my kid bought for around $3k was a YT Capra. We built it up in an hour and went for ride.

I wrote a story here: YT Industries bike packaging and unboxing - Mtbr.com

Anybody here on a YT Jeffsy-img_4566.jpg
    IPA will save America

huck to flat
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    I've built up a few YT's.

My last one, a friend of my kid bought for around $3k was a YT Capra. We built it up in an hour and went for ride.

I wrote a story here: YT Industries bike packaging and unboxing - Mtbr.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4566.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	1143598
    It took you an HOUR???!!! I threw a few together in 3 minutes.

Been riding the '17 29er CF1 and it is awesome!!

https://youtu.be/JKpXOt-cJ-g

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've been on a jeffsy cf pro since last fall - it's my first choice to ride unless riding rough stuff at speed (e.g. roots, big hits, etc.). Some component changes have happened - including include fox36 with 51mm offset, saint brakes and shimano shifter/derailleur.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtJunky View Post
    I've been on a jeffsy cf pro since last fall - it's my first choice to ride unless riding rough stuff at speed (e.g. roots, big hits, etc.). Some component changes have happened - including include fox36 with 51mm offset, saint brakes and shimano shifter/derailleur.
    How's the Fox 36 changed it up? Is the 51mm offset noticeable? My 190 lbs can get the 34 flexing a bit, but nothing crazy.

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by The Trail Bum View Post
    It took you an HOUR???!!! I threw a few together in 3 minutes.

Been riding the '17 29er CF1 and it is awesome!!

https://youtu.be/JKpXOt-cJ-g
    LOLZ.

Most of the time was spent unpacking the bike and drinkin beer.

I did a whole custom fitting too on ze grom.

It was the finest pre-assembly, packing job I've ever seen.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    LOLZ.

It was the finest pre-assembly, packing job I've ever seen.

fc
    Agreed - couldn't believe how well the whole bike in a box experience was executed. Very impressive.

fc
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    Agreed - couldn't believe how well the whole bike in a box experience was executed. Very impressive.

What, you already have it? And there's no pics??
    IPA will save America

Hella Olde
    You already got it? Cool! I didn't get a chance to say that YT lets you pay in installments. Your initial order secures the bike and you can get it when you're done paying. No Sales tax & no shipping if you pick it up at their office in Reno. 3-5k might not be a lot to many folks who want to use their airmileage credit cards, but if you're young, and finances are iffy, it's a great way to get a top end bike. PayPal is also accepted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I definitely prefer the 36 - it's the RC2 at 150mm, so has added tuning...plus deals with my 200lbs better. The offset combined with added travel hits a middle ground between either of them separately, and yes it is noticeable. The bike isn't quite as nimble on tight flat turns, but adds a bit of nose and stability which helps on steeper terrain, plus bad riding habits (heavy hands).

My current debate is the shock - still have the DPS and it does fairly well (and is due for a servicing), yet would like to try something with a bit larger air volume so it's more linear.

Side note - from what I've heard, the jeffsy27.5 is amazingly fun.

How's the Fox 36 changed it up? Is the 51mm offset noticeable? My 190 lbs can get the 34 flexing a bit, but nothing crazy.

mtbr member
    What, you already have it? And there's no pics??

About 110 miles on the Jeffsy so far. 9point8 dropper (brand new Reverb will be up for sale shortly) and 30t chainring are the only changes.

fc

About 110 miles on the Jeffsy so far. 9point8 dropper (brand new Reverb will be up for sale shortly) and 30t chainring are the only changes.

#doinitright

110 miles means you are getting after it since assembly.

Love the tweaks and upgrades.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Have built up 3 Tues and one Jeffsey. My son is on his second Tues Carbon, a friend's son on a Tues Carbon and my son's friend on a Tues Aluminum. For my friend, we put him on the base Jeffsey 29". Just a great bike for the money, the only weak part being the Reverb seatpost lever doesn't play well with the Shimano brakes, so a compromise in positioning is required. That is corrected for 2017 as they ship with Guide brakes now.

I have had a couple of issues with the SRAM compenents, a bad derailleur and the the guide sticky piston problems. Both were dealt with promptly.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Jeffsy arrived today

L1MEY
    Just in case anyone else is considering one...

I went to their warehouse in Reno on a whim (I was in town for something else). The guys I talked to were super helpful and said they do demos right out of the warehouse, and if you call them beforehand and let them know what bike you want they can make it happen. No charge for the demos and you can take them out all day. I didn't have long so I just took a couple of the Jeffsy models for a spin around the parking area. The Jeffsy 29er is one of the top contenders for my hubby's new bike so we'll definitely be going back for a more thorough test ride.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Can you buy one at the warehouse?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    In On Joey, whats in that cylinder in water bottle cage? What IS that cylinder? I forgot to ask on ride. New bikes cool.

mtbr member
    It's a Tool Keg from Fabric. Got CO2, patch kit, tube and tire levers in there.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Bummer, no Pizza Port. Cool, Tool Keg.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    Can you buy one at the warehouse?
    Not sure on that... but we're going to do a test ride in the next couple of weeks so I'll ask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm a big yt fan. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years of hard rugged riding and it's done great. The jeffsy looks great just like the Capra.Anybody here on a YT Jeffsy-img_20170701_154339.jpg

fc
    Main weakness of the Jeffsy is no real water bottle mount.

All the price points have pretty amazing spec for the money.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Ok gents, rode the Jeffsy for the first time over the weekend in SC and I love it ! First full Squishy bike and it kicked ass. It definitely feels at home bouncing and jumping around the trails. I just need some bros to ride with so I can keep up with it !! Any takers ?? I'm still fairly new, but always looking to better myself and meet some cool dudes.

mtbr member
    Ok gents, rode the Jeffsy for the first time over the weekend in SC and I love it ! First full Squishy bike and it kicked ass. It definitely feels at home bouncing and jumping around the trails. I just need some bros to ride with so I can keep up with it !! Any takers ?? I'm still fairly new, but always looking to better myself and meet some cool dudes.
    I'm down to ride damn near every Friday until I start working overtime. I'm in the East bay but I cruise down to Santa Cruz a couple times a month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm down to ride damn near every Friday until I start working overtime. I'm in the East bay but I cruise down to Santa Cruz a couple times a month.

ill pm you man

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anybody riding their lower end AL models? I don't really want to spend for carbon frame, but I also want lock-out on my fork and shock for climbing which I have on my current rig. I can always upgrade aftermarket, but I wonder if they let you do part swap for something like shocks.

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Anybody riding their lower end AL models? I don't really want to spend for carbon frame, but I also want lock-out on my fork and shock for climbing which I have on my current rig. I can always upgrade aftermarket, but I wonder if they let you do part swap for something like shocks.
    My hubby has the AL1 version. His Pike RC has open and locked mode but no trail mode like my RCT3, but he has no complaints. His Monarch RT has pedal and open modes but no true lockout, which he also hasn't had an issue with as the pedal mode is plenty stiff for fire road climbs. The spec on the AL1 is very good... the only thing he wanted from the higher end carbon model that wasn't on his AL1 was the Eagle drive train, but he swapped out his chain ring for a smaller one so it's all good now.

I'm not sure that they can swap out parts between the models because they don't have a stockpile of parts hanging around at the warehouse. He needed a slightly shorter seat post and they didn't have any in stock so I gave him mine (which was waaay to big for me) and I bought a shorter one. The warehouse guys are super helpful though so you could always call them and ask

Ride like a girl!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've not heard of any component level swapping. Just call them in Reno, good dudes.

mtbr member
    My wife's bike is aluminum...her fork locks out and her shock does sorta, compared to a fox CTD. As far as swapping parts I don't think so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    My hubby has the AL1 version. His Pike RC has open and locked mode but no trail mode like my RCT3, but he has no complaints. His Monarch RT has pedal and open modes but no true lockout, which he also hasn't had an issue with as the pedal mode is plenty stiff for fire road climbs. The spec on the AL1 is very good... the only thing he wanted from the higher end carbon model that wasn't on his AL1 was the Eagle drive train, but he swapped out his chain ring for a smaller one so it's all good now.

I'm not sure that they can swap out parts between the models because they don't have a stockpile of parts hanging around at the warehouse. He needed a slightly shorter seat post and they didn't have any in stock so I gave him mine (which was waaay to big for me) and I bought a shorter one. The warehouse guys are super helpful though so you could always call them and ask

I'm still a bit skeptical of shocks without full lockout. What are longest hill climbs you and husband ride? My favorite trail has 1200 foot switchback pretty much straight climb which takes me about 40 mins on my current ride which I have full lockout.

I'm guessing would be frustrated for such a long stretch without lockout.

Also the metric shock availability is bugging me. It seems the Deluxe line is OEM only and I'm not sure if you want to upgrade to lockout shock I need to go with Monarch RT3, but not sure if it would fit the frame.

mtbr member
    I'm still a bit skeptical of shocks without full lockout. What are longest hill climbs you and husband ride? My favorite trail has 1200 foot switchback pretty much straight climb which takes me about 40 mins on my current ride which I have full lockout.

Also the metric shock availability is bugging me. It seems the Deluxe line is OEM only and I'm not sure if you want to upgrade to lockout shock I need to go with Monarch RT3, but not sure if it would fit the frame.
    Time yourself with the shock locked out and not locked out. Unless the trail is super smooth, most decent pedaling full suspension bikes will actually help you go faster when the suspension remains active. As for the Jeffsy specifically, I find it to be very well mannered in terms of climbing and pedaling. I will increase the low speed compression damping for some climbs, but I've never wished for a lockout.

L1MEY

He's only had the bike for a couple of weeks... rode it a few times (shortish rides) then had surgery, so he hasn't done any epic rides on it yet. That said, we did do a ride with a sustained granny gear climb on a sandy doubletrack that took about 15 minutes, and he was happy with the shock in pedal mode. I also demo'd a Jeffsy 29er, but didn't feel the need to put it in pedal mode at all on the trail I rode so therefore didn't miss the lockout.

For what it's worth, I have only ever used my full lockout on tarmac. On the trail I keep it open unless I'm spinning up a fairly smooth sustained uphill, in which case I'll switch it to pedal mode. My bike has a different style linkage than the Jeffsy though, so it's probably not the best comparison. I think you really only get a true picture of how a shock or fork will work for you by riding it in different conditions. For example, everyone seems to love the Fox 36, but I test rode several bikes with one and couldn't get along with it at all... I much prefer a Pike. If you can find a demo ride with that Monarch RT it will give you a better frame of reference.

Ride like a girl!

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Trail bum is and OMG!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree - I'll need to do a real trail ride demo. FWIW, I did do some parking lot ridess of the Giant Trace3, Kona Process 134, and Scott 730 plus.

Giant and Kona also have the Deluxe RT, and "trail" lockout seems decent on the parking lot. The Scott had remote full lockout, which seem to be slightly more firm. But hard to tell until I'm testing on uphill.

mtbr member
    Is there a medium Jeffsy 27 in the San Jose area I can swing by leg over? I'm coming over from Bronson V2/Remedy 2017, would like to see how progressive it is and if the tall seat tube is bothersome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inter71 View Post
    Get an Ibis.
    buy two YTís for same price as an ibis. Oh, but still buy an ibis.

Im on a 27.5 Jeffsy and couldnít be happier. Got the chalk white/blood red CF build. Raked the Pike to 160 and its as capable as anything IMO.

mtbr member

I hate climbing with lockout. Never touch it on my bike. Less traction, less comfort.
    East Bay Parks AKA East Bay Cattle Ranches

Hella Olde
    This YT thread came back from the dead and now i have a Capra and a TUES if anyone needed to know how goddamn bitchen I am (or had questions).

caw