Any Resorts With Ski Bike Access?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any Resorts With Ski Bike Access?

I'm looking into building a ski bike. First I'd better find out where I can run them!

Any resorts that allow lift access for ski bikes? Northstar doesn't advertise ski bikes anymore.
    We Ride In God's Country!

We need more wax
    On Saturday I saw one at the top of KT-22 at Squaw. Never have seen one at Alpine Meadows where I have had a pass for many years.
    "People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along?" - Rodney King

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sierra at Tahoe, Northstar at Tahoe, Heavenly, Donner Ski Ranch. I work at Sierra and have been riding for 10 years. Here is a video of some of my friends. http://www.kushtv.com/sports/sportsexplorers/skibike
    Last edited by tahoetic; 01-06-2009 at 01:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh, cool. Thanks for those leads. So they are at Northstar?! Will these resorts also allow you to take your own ski bike up or do they require use of their own?

tahoetic,

You mean you've been riding ski bikes for 10 years? Can you give me some pointers on building a ski bike? Where's the best/better places for lift access with nice long runs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes, I have been riding ski bikes for ten years. Sierra, Northstar, and Heavenly for long runs. They are very popular in Colorado. My bike has about 9 inches of travel. My current set up is a Marzocchi Roco RC World Cup in the back and a fastec coil with up force damping in the front. The best skis to use are Salomon SB 99cm. PM me if you have any questions.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How does it handle in the steeps, bumps, and tight spots? I could see how they would be a blast on the long, fast groomies and jumps off all kinds. My buddy built one years ago, but nowhere's near as trick as yours. Cool stuff. Nice video.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That video was awesome. Since I'm not a skier or boarder, i can still enjoy the snow-covered slopes on one of these.

Does all that travel really make a difference? I mean I'm sure it's better than w/o but since I'm building one for hauling back up the hill myself for places where there's no lift, i'm trying to go lightweight (and cheap!). I figure also the snow is it's own soft landing, but then again, I'm not a snow person either. I guess packed snow/ice vs. powder will be the difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OK, here's whats going on. Groomers and park jumps are are just fine with regular snowboard boots. My bike has pegs so it's all good. Most people ride this way. However, if you want to ride bumps, steeps, and deep powder, you need to have small foot skis (76cm) with ski boots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ebo, yes I ride the steep stuf at Sierra, dynomite, preachers passion, jacks bowl all of it. It's just like anything with metal edges. Just lean and it carves a turn. The Zoki shock in the back sucks it all up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wife made me go to Heavenly yesterday with some friends.

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    suuhhhhweeeetttt!

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    What about regular bikes with studded tires? Any resorts allow that?

mtbr member
    I want to try one of these pretty bad. I guess Northstar doesn't rent the skibikes any more?

mtbr member
    anyone know if you can rent a skibike anywhere in Tahoe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't know any resorts that allow bikes with studded tires. Heavenly rents a very basic model. Northstar and Sierra no longer rent ski bikes. They do allow ski bikes though. Here are some links.

http://www.lenzsport.com/SkiBikes.html
    http://www.koskisnowsports.net/
    http://www.skibikefun.com/
    http://www.ski-bike.org/

Check out some of the youtube stuff as well.
    Last edited by tahoetic; 01-11-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Coors, the american beer.
    rented and rode one at donner a few years ago, my cousin was visiting and it was cheaper than a snowboard rental so i let him ride my board haha ... had a lot of fun .... if i ever get one id still keep the board around for the powder days though

i think the one i had was a k2
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    . if i ever get one id still keep the board around for the powder days though
    powder i guess would be unrideable with a ski bike? snowboard bike then? hmm, just like mountain bikes, gotta have more than one for different types of conditions.

Jun 2008
    I used to work at Mammoth and we had a guy show up at the lift with a sled. We weren't going to let him up, but management said that if he had a lift ticket he could take what ever he liked up the lift. This was about 8 years ago, but I would imagine that it hasn't changed much. After that we let anybody up as long as they had a ticket.

got the dhr...
    Im getting one of the alpine ski bikes (winter-x bike, ski-mx kit, hanson bikes). I already ordered it, it should be coming sometime next week. im gonna get some sort of 99cm ski boards to mount up to them, put on my shwinn mesa hardtail with an old marzo dj fork. Ill be going to N* a lot, my mom got a timeshare thing at the hyatt at northstar. summer and winter, baby. I rented a ski bike from heavenley about 4 years ago, after breaking my wrist my first time snowboarding. Ive been hooked on them ever since, but havent been able to get one till now. Ill let you guys know what happens.

Uncle
    Search here:

http://www.skibikereview.com

Stay off the forums though; Troll Central.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Donner ski Ranch

Have been riding a ski bike at the Ranch for the last two years---Great spot---a cheap way to get started is to buy some ski brackets--check out skibikefun--they sell used bikes and accessories----If you have some ski/snowboard experience and mountian biking you will be flying down the hill in no time-----Rico

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here is a link that has info on a lot of resorts that are ski bike friendly

http://www.skibikers.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9

Members who have read this thread: 0