Any interest in a homebrewing group?- Mtbr.com
    Totally, and to the max.

Any interest in a homebrewing group?

I've been thinking about this for a while now so I thought I'd throw it out there and see how much interest there is. I used to do a fair amount of homebrewing, and the biggest obstacle was getting some extra hands to help out through the process. A group of brewers would make for easy work.

Seems like plenty of people here are into the art and science of craft brewing and this would be a fun way to hang out and experiment with some good recipes. The goal would be to meet once a month at some convenient location, brew a 5 (or 10) gallon batch of beer based on a chosen recipe, perfect our craft, all while enjoying the fruits of our labor (once older batches were ready for consumption).

There would be an initial investment in the necessary equipment, but could be minimal based on craigslist finds and equipment already in your possession.

Then, we'd just pitch in on ingredients (usually $30-45 a batch depending on styles) and start making some quality beers!

Any interest? Discuss.

DIY all the way
    Hmm, I just clicked in on this thread, as I thought it was home brew of bike components

I guess metal in the kind of brew you are considering, is considered a no-go.....

How about carbon?

Magura

~~~
    Can I sit on the Board of Directors?

Recreational Terrorist
    I've been home brewing with a good friend this past year. I have all of my equipment over at his place. This past weekend we did our first "all grain" batch going from cracked grain to wort. All-grain brewing is pretty damn cool. In the past we have been using kits for "extract" brewing and the beer turns out tasty.

We have the full setup for "all grain" and "extract" brewing:
    - 2 converted water coolers for mashing
    - 7.5 gallon pot and propane burner
    - wort coolers
    - 2 carboys for primary fermentation, 1 carboy for secondary
    - 3 5-gallon kegs
    - 2 keg kegerator
    - bottling equipment
    - beer on tap and dart board

I could possibly "kick-off" this joint brewing adventure if he is interested.

mtbr member
    I'd be interested.

I'm in the process of building out a hybrid gas/electric system based on a Blichmann top tier and this design: The Electric Brewery.

Don't forget the opportunity to swap bottles and kegs. Hard to complain about more variety in the beer fridge.

Fart smeller
    I'd be glad to volunteer my services to make sure anything brewed is not poisonous.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    You might check carefully in your local area. More likely than not, there is already a homebrewing club or two in your area.
    Ask at your local home brew supply shop.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    1. I'm clueless about beer making
    2. I have no room whatsoever for equipment, brewing, storage, etc.
    3. I'd be very interested if the above 2 things don't eliminate me
    4. I may be prone to tossing an extra handful of hops in the batch (again, I'm clueless) when no one is looking. Just a warning.

Brewtality - yeah, but in this club, we can talk about riding illegal trails and chit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah View Post
    Brewtality - yeah, but in this club, we can talk about riding illegal trails and chit.
    I figured that might be an issue
    Carry on.

While I have a plenty of equipment and make a batch or two every month, I'm in the Sacramento area and I think you're looking for Bay Area people.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

rho
    Life is strange
    I have the interest, but not the time, money or space.

If any of the two manage to happen anytime soon, I'll be taking a much more keen interest in this.. because beer is tasty and humans are great at making beer.

mtbr member
    I started making beer this last summer and it was a blast. Made about 15-20, 5 gallon batches of a wide variety. Only couple came out iffy and only a few came out superb. I find this is a good spring/summer/fall activity because you work with a lot of water/cleaning which sucks when it's cold out. Also, I drank most of the beer I made so be prepared to gain a bigger belly and accelerates any functional alcoholism you may carry...I started drinking on work nights and weekends because it is always around, always cold, and almost always delicious.

Anyhow, I have all the equipment in house in Los Gatos if you want to give it a trial run and I can be available to coach/make fun but finding the time to do it may be tricky. PM me if this sounds worthy. I'll be open for business come Spring.

werd
    I'm not sure how this works.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Sort of a brewers collective, eh? Sounds enticing! Count me in for monetary donations, Iíve got at least six empty growlers needing to be filled.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Count me in! Send me the details when available.

So for forty bucks how many bottles of homebrew are produced?

Totally, and to the max.
    So sounds like there is a bit of interest in doing this, and I suspect if we actually got together once or twice, more people might show up just to hang out, watch the process and eventually learn how to brew. It's pretty rewarding when a session results in a great batch of brew.

SCTreeHugger, your friend's place sounds like an ideal location if he's willing to host. It would be great to start out learning all-grain vs. extract brewing. A bit more learning curve, but that is ultimately the superior method for high-gravity beers.

FlintPaper, your system sounds really intriguing as well. Looks like a very advanced system which could result in more precise brewing. Let me know if either of you are willing to host a first brew session and we can talk about details. Really, we'd just need to set a date and do it, right?

So should we move forward with the MTBR Brew Crew? Maybe a rainy mid-Feb weekend?

Totally, and to the max.
    Yeah, there's actually quite a few in the south bay. But they've got nothing on us mtn. bikers. We know our beer!

Totally, and to the max.
    Usually one 5-gallon batch equates to about 50-some odd 12-oz. bottles, but it's also very convenient to go straight to keg. If we brewed together, it'd be great to bottle at least some of it, so we could age and compare over time.

orthonormal
    Any wine makers out there? I'll be buying 1000-1200 lbs. of grapes this fall, enough to fill my 58 gallon barrel plus wine to top off the barrel over the 12-16 month ageing period. I've got a half ton picking bin I use as an open top fermenter, a 3 ton/hour crusher-destemmer, a 40 liter hydraulic basket press, a bladder pump, and all of the usual lab goodies.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

roadie
    test batch #1, with feedback labels!

cracked the first one open last night

Hi.
    I've brewed a bunch over the past year and would be willing to donate time, ideas, equipment or funds to the project!

Plus, brew sessions are a great time for bottle shares. It's like a brewing and tasting party all in the same day!

mtbr member
    I'm down for this. I had to sell all my homebrew equipment due to limited space three years ago and I've really been regretting it recently. I am by no means an expert but I know the basics. I would be happy to kick some money/beers in on a Co-Op brewing/tasting day. It would really help to have someone with experience like Mr. Martino or others to take the lead since it sucks to wait 2 months to find out your beer sucks. I speak from experience.

Dark Meat
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Any wine makers out there? I'll be buying 1000-1200 lbs. of grapes this fall, enough to fill my 58 gallon barrel plus wine to top off the barrel over the 12-16 month ageing period. I've got a half ton picking bin I use as an open top fermenter, a 3 ton/hour crusher-destemmer, a 40 liter hydraulic basket press, a bladder pump, and all of the usual lab goodies.
    Wine maker, no! Wine drinker, yes.

I'm interested...my girl took a class at Davis last year, it opened my eyes a little

Where are you located?

mtbr member

K-max...interested

Hey K-max, count me in on this...exactly what I needed as a catalyst as I've been thinking about starting for a while.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle mama View Post
    Wine maker, no! Wine drinker, yes.

I'm interested...my girl took a class at Davis last year, it opened my eyes a little

Where are you located?
    I'm in Carmel. The cool weather is nice for home winemaking because I can barrel age in my garage. In the past, I had to rent temperature controlled storage space. Transporting a full barrel to/from a storage unit is no simple task.

Still trying to decide between buying Pinot Noir from the Santa Lucia Highlands, which will cost me about $1500 for a half ton, or Zinfandel from either Paso Robles or Amador at a significantly lower price.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be