mtbr member
    Nov 2016

Any hope for pogonip reopening?

Does anyone think that enough rain will be coming to reopen pogonip/emma?

fc
    head minion Administrator
    It's open. It was only closed that one day (last Friday) for hobo and needle cleanup.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ah man! I didnt no that. Thank you! Just made my Turkey day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    It's open. It was only closed that one day (last Friday) for hobo and needle cleanup.
    Not true. The signs are still up. They are saying that this rain may be enough to re-open.

https://www.santacruzsentinel.com/20...-all-problems/

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I was there tuesday and it was closed---rode wilder instead which was in severe need of rain

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Ah but the needles remind me of cactus from home. Lol

fc
    I stand corrected. Sorry!!

Friends were out there but they started at Twin Gates.
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azflyfishing View Post
    Ah man! I didnt no that. Thank you! Just made my Turkey day
    Ride at Wilder Ranch. I went out there on Monday for the first time in a few years and it was pretty entertaining. Hit Enchanted Loop for some tech. Wilder Ridge Loop has some fun sections too.

Although Wilder will be closed if there is enough rain to allow damage to the trails. That's not likely this week.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah maybe sunday for wilder. Not sure. My weekend to work so well see. I went there once and found it kinda boring but I didnt explore much. I just like pogonip because I live by it and can get a quick ride from home

ask
    user
    Subscribed... tempted to go get a couple laps in after the LG Turkey ride. Fingers crossed that Pogo will open up soon.
    "...That said, we exhausted the comedy material in this thread, so we're done here." -KMax

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I think they'll open it. Rained pretty hard and still coming down in sc

mtbr member
    The city of Santa Cruz announced today that the following areas will remain closed for the whole Thanksgiving period (i.e., through the weekend), despite the rain:

Pogonip.
    Araņa Gulch.
    Moore Creek.
    DelaVega, except for the golf course.
    Arroyo Seco.

Find the Santa Cruz Fire Department's Facebook page to read the press release announcing this.

The city is too polite to put it in its press release, but I'm guessing there are too many drug-addled or mentally ill homeless people in and around the city for the city manager to want to take any risk one of them will start a fire. There will have to be "several days of steady rain" before a reopening, to quote the press release.

Let's restore the hundreds of thousands of inpatient psychiatric beds our country had in the mid-20th century. It's tragic, and inexcusable in this wealthy country, that mentally ill people are staggering around in filthy rags and accidentally or deliberately starting fires.
    Last edited by imtnbke; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:54 PM.

fc
    It's open now.

Pogonip | City of Santa Cruz

And I now know where Pogonip is!Any hope for pogonip reopening?-screen-shot-2018-11-27-10.14.47-am.jpg

Big homeless encampment now at the corner of highway 1 and 9
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fc View Post
    It's open now.

Pogonip | City of Santa Cruz

And I now know where Pogonip is!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 10.14.47 AM.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	1226535

Big homeless encampment now at the corner of highway 1 and 9
    Rode UC yesterday and noticed that camp when I was leaving. utterly stupifying that this kind of crap is permitted. I remember all summer smelling camp fires while riding, thinking, "this is eventually going to cause a lot of problems". There must be 150 people in that new camp off 1/9. There's also no way that is all of them. The saddest part is that we had to wait for mulitiple fires for the authorities to act. That said, it's easier to get revenue from a guy on a $7000 bike than a homeless drug addict, so I guess it's not surprising where their focus was....

permitting MTBers through Pogonip and UC is the easiest way to keep that area free of the hobo problem. The best disinfectant is sunshine. /rant

the dirt was awesome yesterday! hopefully this weeks rain isnt a deluge and it should be running well by the end of the weekend again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Yeah it's bad. I live by that area. Theres a ton of tents. It's sad. I feel bad for the people in a way. But then things like pogonip get closed down and it makes me mad. I'm stoked it's open now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by conoat View Post
    permitting MTBers through Pogonip and UC is the easiest way to keep that area free of the hobo problem. The best disinfectant is sunshine. /rant
    Yeah that mile of trail really keeps those hobos out of the parks and back on the streets where they belong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    my point wasn't the 1 mile of existing trail that is sanctioned....it's all of the UCSC trails and others that are unsanctioned. Hell, EMT was only Ok'd once MBOSC got involved and showed that having a regular stream of MTBs through the area would help clean it up. AND IT WORKED!

you sound like you feel they should be allowed to camp, shit, shoot up in the woods. I certainly hope that I am misreading you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by conoat View Post
    Rode UC yesterday and noticed that camp when I was leaving. utterly stupifying that this kind of crap is permitted.
    As much as that camp looks bad, it has been worse. Now more of the public can see it regularly. A lot of those people were living on the sidewalk in front of my shop for the last couple of months. Urinating and defecating on our property. Smoking meth and tweaking at all hours. The shop next to me loses customers because people are afraid to leave their cars there. Riding is one big way to relieve stress and when Pogonip was closed, that was taken away. Thanks to the methheads. They make my life complete.