Any good trail riding around Fair Oaks / Sac area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any good trail riding around Fair Oaks / Sac area?

I'm thinking of leaving the Bay Area to get my kid in a different kind of school. Looking around the Fair Oaks area near Sac. I'm wondering if there's any good riding nearby. Any info on the area for moving, living, and riding would be greatly appreciated!

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I'm thinking of leaving the Bay Area to get my kid in a different kind of school. Looking around the Fair Oaks area near Sac. I'm wondering if there's any good riding nearby. Any info on the area for moving, living, and riding would be greatly appreciated!
    I moved to sac fall of 2015. At first I was bummed about driving 30-40 minutes each way for MTB. Auburn and Folsom are the closest at that distance. Fair oaks...take 10 minutes off that time.

If you have a gravel or CX bike, sac is radical. Loads of singletrack accessible from your door that is boring on mtb but super fun on curly bars. The scene here for those bike is huge, with shops leading weekly group rides, huge CX race/party scene.

The. There's Tahoe. From fair oaks, south lake is only a 90 minute drive for world-class MTB regardless of what style of bike(s) you have.

PM me and I can give you a more detailed account

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Go ride your bike.

Caca pasa
    Darrington, aka Salmon Falls is 21 minutes from FO.

Your experience may Barry. Err, vary.

Gary

Edit: Correction- El Dorado Hills is about 21 minutes away, another 10 miles to the trailhead from there.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:19 AM.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Double post
    Last edited by LightRanger; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:34 AM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There's a bit of dirt around Lake Natoma, which is adjacent to Fair Oaks. But my buddy who lives in Gold River (across the river from Fair Oaks) often comes and rides Granite Bay with me, if that says anything. But they also like living in Gold River, and he's right off the American River Bikeway, so the commute to downtown for him is great.

Lots of good places to live and ride around here. Where exactly depends on your work/commute situation, home purchasing budget, and similar things. If you don't need to commute to downtown: Folsom, Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills, and Loomis/Newcastle are all areas I would consider for both schools and riding purposes.

My wife grew up in the East Bay, and I grew up in Placer County. We did the relocation 18 months ago and are suuuuuper happy we did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I should add that Fair Oaks, Gold River, and Carmichael are good areas too. Just a bit farther from decent riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So is this whole area near Sac a pretty good place to live? It does sound like I will miss riding my mountain bike. However, I can enjoy gravel type riding as well, so I could probably survive.

I've got a daughter who just turned 16, and she's making my life a living hell with stress. Thinking about moving just to get out of the Bay Area and try a different school.

mtbr member
    Auburn isn't far out of town. Depending on where you end up living. Plenty up there to keep you busy for awhile. Other than that, Salmon Falls, Granite Bay, Lake Natoma, SFART Trail, Hidden Falls, and a few that are more of a drive like Sly Park and Georgetown. There is plenty of riding around here. Maybe not right out your door. But not that you would have to give up riding mtb.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    REDACTED, but Strava Heat Maps knows the truth

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    So is this whole area near Sac a pretty good place to live? It does sound like I will miss riding my mountain bike. However, I can enjoy gravel type riding as well, so I could probably survive.

I've got a daughter who just turned 16, and she's making my life a living hell with stress. Thinking about moving just to get out of the Bay Area and try a different school.
    Yes it is. Everybody I know who has relocated from the Bay is happy with their decision.

Where are you in the Bay now, and what specifically are you looking for in terms of relocation spot? Still not getting enough info to help narrow it down.

Not sure what you're talking about re gravel bike. Other than Santa Cruz, most of the Bay is a longer drive from good riding than most of Sac area. I ride dirt WAAAAAAY more than when I lived in San Ramon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    @LightRanger - I live in Danville. I do have to drive a small amount, but I ride at the Pleasanton Ridge, Mount Diablo and it's foothills etc.

My "road" bike is a road+ with 650b wheels and 48mm Gravel King tires currently. I mainly ride it on the road around here. I did take it to Mount Shasta a few weeks ago for a pretty fun ride with a mix of everything.

I just want to move because I think I need to get my kid away from her current group of "friends", and into a school that isn't nearly as expensive. I'm basically being robbed every day, and a good private school I'm looking at up there is expensive but a LOT less so than where I currently have her. So the move is mainly for her and school. My needs are a lot less, but saving money would certainly be a huge benefit.

I'm glad to hear you hit the dirt even more than when you where in San Ramon, that's very encouraging!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    REDACTED, but Strava Heat Maps knows the truth
    What was the gist of your comment before removing? Positive or negative?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Ahhh. Given the desire for private high school, I now see why you mentioned Fair Oaks area.

My wife grew up in Danville. We live in Granite Bay now. She loves it. So do I. GBHS is top in the area, but if private is a requirement, it's bit of a hike to St. Francis or Christian Brothers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's still good, but all the people fleeing what they created in the bay area are slowing starting bring the same politics, policies and problems this way with them.... You probably still have a decade or so before it completely becomes Bay area 2.0.

Trail Gnome
    I lived in Fair Oaks in the early 90ís, so I canít say how it is now. It sucked when I lived there, couldnít wait to leave...now, I canít wait to leave The Bay Area. My sister lives in Elk Grove..she hates it. The weather, traffic, schools, the stupid people...good luck

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I lived in Fair Oaks in the early 90ís, so I canít say how it is now. It sucked when I lived there, couldnít wait to leave...now, I canít wait to leave The Bay Area. My sister lives in Elk Grove..she hates it. The weather, traffic, schools, the stupid people...good luck
    "The weather"?

Care to clarify?
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Trail Gnome
    ^^^I do love it when the temps are +110 degrees for days on end...too hot!